MUScoop > The Superbar

EV's

<< < (2/120) > >>

TSmith34, Inc.:

--- Quote from: MU82 on February 21, 2023, 10:54:05 AM ---Just a few days ago I bought a hybrid because it met my needs better than currently available EVs. I’m hoping that when it’s time to replace my wife’s car in 3-4 years, there will be better selection, availability and price.

--- End quote ---

I too am looking at a hybrid for my next car. The price delta between hybrids and ICE autos has shrunk considerably, so economically it makes a ton of sense.

JWags85:

--- Quote from: tower912 on February 21, 2023, 10:42:25 AM ---Are you able to use your EV for long trips?    I can see having one as a second car in the family, one for tooling around town,  but I am trying to picture driving 300 miles to Milwaukee in an EV.   Or 900 miles to see my daughter in Baltimore.   Whereas I got 420 miles on each of the tanks of gas involved in my trip last week, it took me 10 minutes to refuel and go to the bathroom.    I can't help but think I would have added an hour each way if I had an EV.

--- End quote ---

So range is such a popular/controversial topic when it comes to it.  My father, for example, thinks EVs are very cool from a tech perspective but can't process them as a primary vehicle because of range concerns and coming from a family who drove long distances all the time.

Meanwhile, I'm fairly opposite.  When I used to live in Chicago in my 20s, I drove fairly regularly to visit friends in Columbus and Cleveland.  Thats around 325-350 miles.  I couldnt see myself driving any farther than that hardly ever, and even that I started flying because 11-12 hours of driving for even a long weekend just cut time too short.  And I drove more than most of my millennial friends.  My wife never drove longer than 4 hours one way in her life before meeting me.

Lucid is supposedly has a 400-420 mile range.  Supposedly up to 500 on some models.  Unless you're somehow who LOVES road trips, that feels like plenty if battery tech gets that to an industry standard level.

MU82:

--- Quote from: TSmith34, Inc. on February 21, 2023, 10:58:37 AM ---I too am looking at a hybrid for my next car. The price delta between hybrids and ICE autos has shrunk considerably, so economically it makes a ton of sense.

--- End quote ---

Yessir. And with some models, the performance of the hybrid makes it preferable to the ICE version. Plus, the equipment included even in a base-model hybrid is often similar to its non-base ICE equivalent.

tower912:
JWags, thanks.   I get that underlying philosophy.    I still drive Michigan to Baltimore, Michigan to Dayton, Michigan to Milwaukee, 150 miles to Northern Michigan for golf trips.   

And I do follow the advancements in battery tech.     By 2035, I expect 500 miles to be the norm.    Again, though, for those who have an EV in the upper Midwest, what kind of range hit do you see in cold weather?

🏀:
tower

One of my good friends/coworkers has a Tesla. He mostly stays in Wisconsin, but never leaves the Great Lakes in the car.

He does complain about the cold weather drop off, he thinks it’s close to 15% through sustained weather below freezing.

Charging isn’t much of an issue, he generally stops at Woodmans which all have new charging stations. He can grocery shop or browse the liquor departments. He says 30-40 minutes to fully charge, but he also thinks it’s barely longer than a Kwik Trip stop which makes me think he spends an alarming amount of time in Kwik Trips.

His regret are road trips. He avoids them now. Sand Valley, the UP, Forest Dunes or French Lick aren’t an issue, but that’s about his radius. He wishes he had another vehicle for road trips.  He wouldn’t drive us to Des Moines when we discussed a trip because of his uncertainty.

I think getting the range to 400 miles+ will be the big push point for most Americans.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version