MUScoop > The Superbar

EV's

(1/104) > >>

tower912:
Since the investing thread has gone big on EV discussion, I thought I would create a thread to specifically discuss EV's.     
I do not have one, I am contemplating one with my next purchase, but I have concerns.    I hope some current (hah) owners can help me out by sharing their experiences.

For those of you living in northern climes, how big of a range hit do you see in the winter?    I keep seeing articles indicating you may only have 1/3 of your normal range when it is frigid out.     Do your experiences reflect this?

Are you able to use your EV for long trips?    I can see having one as a second car in the family, one for tooling around town,  but I am trying to picture driving 300 miles to Milwaukee in an EV.   Or 900 miles to see my daughter in Baltimore.   Whereas I got 420 miles on each of the tanks of gas involved in my trip last week, it took me 10 minutes to refuel and go to the bathroom.    I can't help but think I would have added an hour each way if I had an EV.

I also read about non-functioning charging stations and lines to use one that is functioning.   Have you had that experience?

How are they as cars?    Fun to drive?    Handle the same?     

I remember a few years ago, one of the early adopters was sure that EV's would be taking over the market by now.    For all the hype, they haven't.     Yet.     Do you think the infrastructure will be developed in time to meet the 2035 goals of the states and the companies?

Galway Eagle:
Used Turo to rent a Tesla this past weekend 80% charged was 180miles took 45min to charge up. Drove nicely but my wife & I agreed it would be a disaster for a road trip car.

BrewCity83:
I just heard a story on the radio yesterday of a couple who drove from Michigan to Florida for a vacation in their EV.  It took them 4 days, one way.  They had to make 12 stops to re-charge, each stop ranging from 20 to 55 minutes.  Sorry I have no link to verify.

Not my idea of an efficient way to travel long distances.

MU82:
My daughter and SIL have had a Tesla Model X for 2 years now. If you ever get to the point where you want to be in touch with them, PM me and I’ll make it happen.

I’ve ridden in it numerous times but I’m no expert. And Charlotte isn’t exactly a cold climate (though it is coldish in the winter and my SIL says the range is a little lower then).

What I can tell you is that when they moved here from Seattle, they drove it across the country. Had some trepidation before the trip but ended up saying that charging was never a problem. Tesla makes it relatively easy because it has such a huge network of chargers, and its navigation system includes info on chargers along the route. I can’t speak to non-Tesla EVs.

Just a few days ago I bought a hybrid because it met my needs better than currently available EVs. I’m hoping that when it’s time to replace my wife’s car in 3-4 years, there will be better selection, availability and price.

Thanks for starting this thread, tower. Much better here than in the investing thread.

tower912:
Much like the age/poll thread, this is an opportunity to have constructive discussions.      I think that when the lots start filling up again, that a hybrid is my likely purchase as well.    But I am open minded and wish to hear about other's experiences. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version