[Today at 07:42:19 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JTJ3
[Today at 06:35:06 AM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Regular season thoughts  (Read 38962 times)

tower912

• All American
Regular season thoughts
« on: March 05, 2016, 04:00:14 PM »
1.   Take out the bookends of the Iowa and today's Butler game, and this team competed hard.
2.   I had 14 wins predicted.   This team got to 19.    Haanif, Traci, and Henry were all better than I expected. 
3.   Young team = turnover prone.    That was this team's biggest weakness.    Travel calls, charging calls, (I'm going to say it anyway) no respect calls. 
4.   The rebounding improved as the conference season progressed.   
5.   Team defense improved as the season went on.    Still not great, still not as consistent as anybody would want.    But there were stretches of solid defense. 
6.   Saw improvement by Luke, Henry, JJ, Traci, Heldt, Haanif.   Duane spun his wheels and Sandy regressed. 
7.   Everybody needs to get into the weight room.    Watching our team get manhandled on a regular basis is frustrating.   
8.   The team was among the youngest in D1.   Any team this young is likely to be inconsistent.    We saw it all year.    But unless you are just a complete negative Nancy, it is clear that there is talent and that there was progress.       I hope everybody, the coaches included, see what they have to do to be a top tier Big East team.

If I was giving a letter grade to the team as a whole for the season as a whole, I would give a B.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Regular season thoughts
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 04:07:46 PM »
But Wally gets an A+++++++

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 04:13:30 PM »
Next year I think will prove you right. Except it will be harder to have a better record if Henry Ellenson leaves for the NBA. It makes sense he will leave.economics of it all. Its a better draft situation this year than next. Money in the pocket. But maybe its good for the rest of them to have more responsibility.

Can they make the big dance without Ellenson?

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 04:31:14 PM »
Good assessment Tower. I think it's easy to get an unfair take on this team by reading these boards too much. Some good games and growth throughout the year. May be tough without HE but I think we are on a good path.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 04:31:59 PM »
I really like our team.  I love Wojo's recruiting.  But, where is our defense?  Butler shot open shots all game long.  Where was the game coaching?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 04:49:40 PM »
I'm kind of glad it's over.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 04:51:24 PM »
Just a random observation .. was just looking at how MU did against the spread.  (Yes, yes, we know that's a Vegas number to balance out bettors.)

Vegas had us favored in 14 games (well, 15 as there wasn't a line for the Maine game.)

In the 15 we were favored, we won 12, blowing 3.
In the 16 we were dogs, we upset 7 games with wins.

Lost 3 games we shouldn't have .. but won 7 we also shouldn't have won.

.. I'd previously wrote we'd go 2-7 versus the top half of the BE, 5-4 vs. the bottom half.

Turned out 3-6 top, 5-4 bottom.  Pretty close, slight over-achievement.

.. As for the future?   Not super optimistic for next year.  This year, we were RPI 105 .. next year, I could see us improving to the 70s, but that's about it.  If HE is back, maybe RPI 40s.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 04:51:38 PM »
The BEAST is tough, but the clear goal was .500 in the league and Wojo has stated this.  Don't want to be too tough on the team because there was huge growth but the goal was not achieved. 

I think the BEAST tournament will play out as per the seeds so we'll have 2 more games with Henry, and that's all.  Let's enjoy these last two games!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 04:53:55 PM »
Just a random observation .. was just looking at how MU did against the spread.  (Yes, yes, we know that's a Vegas number to balance out bettors.)

Vegas had us favored in 14 games (well, 15 as there wasn't a line for the Maine game.)

In the 15 we were favored, we won 12, blowing 3.
In the 16 we were dogs, we upset 7 games with wins.

Lost 3 games we shouldn't have .. but won 7 we also shouldn't have won.

.. I'd previously wrote we'd go 2-7 versus the top half of the BE, 5-4 vs. the bottom half.

Turned out 3-6 top, 5-4 bottom.  Pretty close, slight over-achievement.

.. As for the future?   Not super optimistic for next year.  This year, we were RPI 105 .. next year, I could see us improving to the 70s, but that's about it.  If HE is back, maybe RPI 40s.

I largely agree with your assessment, but am about 20 RPI points more bullish than you for next year, with or without Henry.  Always depends on scheduling.

I think we are a bubble team without Henry next year and a top 20 team with him.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 04:59:24 PM »
Good points, Tower. Hard to argue against any of them.

One thing that disappoints me is that this squad really became a 6-man team about halfway through the Big East season. It was today's starting lineup and Duane. We need more contributors to be a top-tier Big East team. Wojo has two (maybe three if HE goes pro) scholarships to use. He needs to find more talent. And, MU needs Amin and Heldt to make a nice progression this offseason.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 05:04:56 PM »
  • Second best eFG% team since the Midgets.  Cheatham will be a stud.
  • Worst rebounding team in at least 15 years. Need to correct that. Missed Teve.
  • Played too fast and too loose at the guard position.  Haanif is not a PG, but Traci looks like he is the guy.
  • This roster was not built to be physically Big East ready. A bigger if for next year too as it stands today.
  • Hank lived up to his billing.  He will be missed.
  • J3 most improved. Needs to play every possession on D
  • Other freshmen played like freshmen but showed signs
  • Luke, Du, Sandy, and JJJ (earlier) were shrinking violets at times, and SOTG at others.  Need consistency and strength.

Grade C:  At this point, out of NIT. Saw progression and growth in last quarter of season. Roster was built for finesse in a physical league. Depth hurt with so many youngsters so whiffing on graduate big body transfers hurt when Teve left that would have protected Luke and Henry, and helped us on boards. That said, Wojo is 4 out and 1 in on offense, and I think that scheme hurt MU on the O boards more than anything. With such poor offensive rebounding to go with all the turnovers, this team gave back too many possessions. The shooting was better than us fans have seen, and so generally has the defense.  Good road wins for the Thanksgiving tournament and Madison.  Not as good at home as we needed to be.  Growing pains gave us high and lows, but good memories.  We get a reset here in NYC.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 05:27:23 PM »
This team can be better next year but I fear it looks a lot like this year without a stud rebounder.  Go wojo - next years a big one.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2016, 06:07:40 PM »
Four BE wins last year, eight this (should have nine with Depaul).  Getting swept though by Nova, Creighton, SH and Xavier not good. 

Henry exceeded expectations of his high school career and will probably be second/third in  national freshman of the year behind Ingram or Jaylen Brown.  (Simmons ineligible).  Thank you Henry for coming to MU.

Cheatham will be very good.  With JJJ, it was as though someone flicked a switch and has played tremendous down the stretch. Something going on with Duane, he doesn't seem the same, but he does have an aggressive mode.  Just limit those silly turnovers and up his free throw percentage.  Fischer, well the foul issue, but could the staff please have him shoot a straight shot as opposed to a hook shot every time.  Don't understand it.

Carter played as a freshman does, is much better when he slows things down abit.  Calm, Traci, calm.
Cohen had his BE issues, prior to to today his minutes were minimal and don't have any clue about what his role will be next year.

For next year, Henry will probably be gone, can't turn down 10 million plus. He was fun to watch his ability as a 6ft 11 kid with that talent.  Rowsey, if what Wojo said of him, may see a lot of playing time and lets see how that effects Duane.  Cheatham should be #2 guard with Duane backing. If Howard does commit to MU, how does that effect Carter's mindset about basically being recruited over.  If Howard does come, it will be quite the fight over the PG position, which is a good thing. Cheatham, Duane, Rowsey, Carter and Howard would be nice competition in practice.

For next year, the problem will be with a PF or at least a well built SF.  If Fischer gets in foul trouble, that leaves Heldt, who also has had issues with fouls and skinny JJJ and Cohen.  Been brought up numerous times, so everyone knows that is in all likelihood a staff priority.  Lets see how it works out.

Next year the "young, inexperienced, etc" excuses cannot be used.  SH basically started five true sophomores and had a great year.
MU will have:

Fischer as senior, five years out of high school.
JJJ as a senior
Duane as a junior, four years out of high school
Rowsey as a junior, four years out of high school
Cohen as a junior
Cheatham, Carter, Heldt and Sacar with 30 plus Div I games.

Anytime you doubled your BE wins and should have been even in BE play, its a big step forward.  Couple of tough home losses, but exceeded expectations in my view.  Now go and beat St. Johns and get that #20 win. Henry should be pumped up, but a loss would be depressing to say the least.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2016, 06:09:40 PM »
Just saying....Shaka would have had this team in the NCAA's. That's how one thing can change an entire program. This conference has been no help either. I said at the time, it would be the death knell for this program. They have done worse in a lessor conference than they did in the old Big East. Many of you will say "coaching change". Okay, but WHY did we lose Buzz?? Because of the conference. he said it himself. There has been no team in this current Big east more hurt by this conference change than has MU. Two sweet 16's, an Elite 8, 7 consecutive post season bids, and a switch to a conference that will now become year three of no post season at all(likely), and no NCAA's. Has ANY major program fallen so fast, so hard as has MU?? From being THIS close to breaking through into elite status, to being irrelevant in College hoops?? It's really and truly sad.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2016, 06:10:16 PM »

Didn't get swept by Creighton. The other 3 were the top three in the league.

Four BE wins last year, eight this (should have nine with Depaul).  Getting swept though by Nova, Creighton, SH and Xavier not good. 

Henry exceeded expectations of his high school career and will probably be second/third in  national freshman of the year behind Ingram or Jaylen Brown.  (Simmons ineligible).  Thank you Henry for coming to MU.

Cheatham will be very good.  With JJJ, it was as though someone flicked a switch and has played tremendous down the stretch. Something going on with Duane, he doesn't seem the same, but he does have an aggressive mode.  Just limit those silly turnovers and up his free throw percentage.  Fischer, well the foul issue, but could the staff please have him shoot a straight shot as opposed to a hook shot every time.  Don't understand it.

Carter played as a freshman does, is much better when he slows things down abit.  Calm, Traci, calm.
Cohen had his BE issues, prior to to today his minutes were minimal and don't have any clue about what his role will be next year.

For next year, Henry will probably be gone, can't turn down 10 million plus. He was fun to watch his ability as a 6ft 11 kid with that talent.  Rowsey, if what Wojo said of him, may see a lot of playing time and lets see how that effects Duane.  Cheatham should be #2 guard with Duane backing. If Howard does commit to MU, how does that effect Carter's mindset about basically being recruited over.  If Howard does come, it will be quite the fight over the PG position, which is a good thing. Cheatham, Duane, Rowsey, Carter and Howard would be nice competition in practice.

For next year, the problem will be with a PF or at least a well built SF.  If Fischer gets in foul trouble, that leaves Heldt, who also has had issues with fouls and skinny JJJ and Cohen.  Been brought up numerous times, so everyone knows that is in all likelihood a staff priority.  Lets see how it works out.

Next year the "young, inexperienced, etc" excuses cannot be used.  SH basically started five true sophomores and had a great year.
MU will have:

Fischer as senior, five years out of high school.
JJJ as a senior
Duane as a junior, four years out of high school
Rowsey as a junior, four years out of high school
Cohen as a junior
Cheatham, Carter, Heldt and Sacar with 30 plus Div I games.

Anytime you doubled your BE wins and should have been even in BE play, its a big step forward.  Couple of tough home losses, but exceeded expectations in my view.  Now go and beat St. Johns and get that #20 win. Henry should be pumped up, but a loss would be depressing to say the least.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2016, 06:19:50 PM »
OK, I'm really down about this team. Probably the result of a really crappy game today, but I think we're not as better from last year as we think we are.

General comments:

1) Henry was a savior. But what Henry wasn't was a Jabari Parker, who could take us to the next level. Saw too much in Henry that suggested he still thought he was in the WIAA and could put the team on his back and solve the problems we had. He just wasn't quite to where we hoped he would be.

2) I'm really down on Luke. I think he could be a stud, but I think my cocker spaniel has a better idea of how to play college defense than Luke does. He spends way too much time on the bench. Period. You solve the defense and the fouls and you are pro caliber. You don't and you're working for a land developer in Menomonee Falls when you graduate.

3) JJJ is a mystery. There are days when he shows up and is the recruit we thought he could be coming out of Memphis. There are days when we think he could not hit the barn from 1 foot away. Which JJJ shows up next year will decide if we're real or a mirage.

4) Cheatham and Carter are the bones of this team. If I graded them, I would give them a "B" and think they're our future. Inconsistent but I can forgive that because they are freshmen.

5) Duane -- yikes. Not sure with Rouser (SP I am sure) and Hauser coming in how Duane fits with this team. This will be an interesting off-season question.

6) Sandy -- The game is not there. Maybe time to move on.

7) Anim -- I have no idea what is going on here. There's something in practice that's got to be discouraging Wojo. I would have expected to see a lot more of him as the season went on.

Heldt is the only incomplete I would give. I think he has shown a lot growth but he has a long way to go.

Overall, this is a D+ team. Today was depressing and I just think the overall lack of maturity on it was overt and troublesome. I'm really worried about next year if/when Henry does not return.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 06:27:17 PM by dgies9156 »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2016, 06:24:18 PM »
Just saying....Shaka would have had this team in the NCAA's. That's how one thing can change an entire program. This conference has been no help either. I said at the time, it would be the death knell for this program. They have done worse in a lessor conference than they did in the old Big East. Many of you will say "coaching change". Okay, but WHY did we lose Buzz?? Because of the conference. he said it himself. There has been no team in this current Big east more hurt by this conference change than has MU. Two sweet 16's, an Elite 8, 7 consecutive post season bids, and a switch to a conference that will now become year three of no post season at all(likely), and no NCAA's. Has ANY major program fallen so fast, so hard as has MU?? From being THIS close to breaking through into elite status, to being irrelevant in College hoops?? It's really and truly sad.

Don't be an ass.

Have some patience, FFS.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 06:27:51 PM »
Up:
1) Freshmen proved themselves worthy and full of potential. They will give us a solid foundation to build on for the next three years.
2) JJJ is starting to turn into the player we hoped he'd be.
3) Wojo has improved as a coach.

Down:
1) The best player on our team is not likely to return next year.
2) We don't seem to have a discernible home court advantage.
3) We don't seem to have the same scrappy, chip-on-the-shoulder edge under Wojo we got used to seeing consistently under TC & Bert. Saw it sometimes but not often enough. Maybe it's because Wojo came from a program that had little to prove (and thus no reason to have a chip on their shoulder) but this one concerns me.

Ultimately, while I'm pleased with the general upward trajectory of the program, I can't shake the feeling that the conference season could have--and should have--gone better.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2016, 06:33:07 PM »
Season is not over yet. I will be satisfied if we can get it to 20 wins. That optic is very helpful.

Henry had a great season and I enjoyed every second of his time with us. Hopefully he will stay another year with this brother, but I have come to the realization he is most likely going to be a high draft choice and common sense says he will take the money.

Luke is a formidable player if he can stay out of foul trouble.

Haanif is an excellent player and still has upside .

JJJ finally broke through and showed his incredible talent.

I think Duane has some kind of nagging injury. He has incredible stones though and I am glad he is on our team.

Traci has the fundamentals necessary to compete at a high level and plenty of room to grow.

Sandy hit a wall hopefully he can put this year behind him.

Wally did well in his role.

Matt made steady progress throughout the season.

Sacar should get some more time next year to show us what he can do.

Looking forward to Rowsey next year. He should be able to contribute immediately.

Wojo and Company have room to grow but heading in right direction . They are very good recruiters . Still learning how to make the proper decisions in the games. Bill Parcells says you are what your record says you are and I agree with that with respect to Wojo.

I enjoyed the season and am hoping we can either win BET or make it into NIT.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Smokin' Jae

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2016, 06:36:09 PM »
The "unleash Wally" posters are the biggest idiots amongst our fan base, nice player in his current role but that's it. On the whole; not a bad season, competed hard and ultimately headed in the right direction.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2016, 06:54:07 PM »
OK, I'm really down about this team. Probably the result of a really crappy game today, but I think we're not as better from last year as we think we are.

General comments:

1) Henry was a savior. But what Henry wasn't was a Jabari Parker, who could take us to the next level. Saw too much in Henry that suggested he still thought he was in the WIAA and could put the team on his back and solve the problems we had. He just wasn't quite to where we hoped he would be.

2) I'm really down on Luke. I think he could be a stud, but I think my cocker spaniel has a better idea of how to play college defense than Luke does. He spends way too much time on the bench. Period. You solve the defense and the fouls and you are pro caliber. You don't and you're working for a land developer in Menomonee Falls when you graduate.

3) JJJ is a mystery. There are days when he shows up and is the recruit we thought he could be coming out of Memphis. There are days when we think he could not hit the barn from 1 foot away. Which JJJ shows up next year will decide if we're real or a mirage.

4) Cheatham and Carter are the bones of this team. If I graded them, I would give them a "B" and think they're our future. Inconsistent but I can forgive that because they are freshmen.

5) Duane -- yikes. Not sure with Rouser (SP I am sure) and Hauser coming in how Duane fits with this team. This will be an interesting off-season question.

6) Sandy -- The game is not there. Maybe time to move on.

7) Anim -- I have no idea what is going on here. There's something in practice that's got to be discouraging Wojo. I would have expected to see a lot more of him as the season went on.

Heldt is the only incomplete I would give. I think he has shown a lot growth but he has a long way to go.

Overall, this is a D+ team. Today was depressing and I just think the overall lack of maturity on it was overt and troublesome. I'm really worried about next year if/when Henry does not return.

I pray to God this was the bottle speaking
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 06:59:02 PM »
id have to guess that there would have to be more than 1 bottle for some of those

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2016, 07:21:48 PM »
Losing sucks. But it says nothing about us next year. One game means Jack crape. Got to look at the body of work for the whole season. Or body of work is real good.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2016, 07:37:52 PM »
We're what, the eight youngest team in the COUNTRY, and it's a mystery to some here our inconsistencies, both collectively and individually?!?!   And then we're ready to completely give up on some guys already! 

You win with juniors and seniors who are good, exceptions being the blue bloods.  We don't have the experience or depth yet, that simple.   The arrow is still pointing up for this program, whether Henry returns or not. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 07:41:47 PM by HutchwasClutch »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2016, 07:43:09 PM »

Difficult to project RPI when you don't know the schedule, a''inal? WHO you play and especially their win-loss record excluding games against you, plays an enormous part.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback