Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Now its a Federal Investigation  (Read 8068 times)

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
Re: Now its a Federal Investigation
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 10:43:28 PM »
ugh... live and learn MU...protecting the program is not more important than protecting people (and covering your ass)

I dream of summers when commits get dropped for better players.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 10:47:48 PM »
How will this affect recruiting?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 11:01:30 PM »
Come on... really?!?  "Federal Investigation"

If the FDA was inspecting the chicken being served in the AMU, would you call that a "federal investigation"?  We're talking about the Dept of Education, not the FBI or SEC.

Let me know when someone with more stature than Arne Whathisface looks into this issue.  If Chisolm didn't have enough to put something together here, what the heck do you think the feds are going to do.  Take away Marquette's railroad funding?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 11:28:14 PM »
and they will find the same thing the DA did, squat.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 01:02:00 AM »
Yeah I think calling this a federal investigation is a little dramatic...sounds like they are just doing a review. We have changed our practices, and have a different president. Nothing is going to come of this

RyanConroy

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 01:23:29 AM »
This comment sums it up nicely:

"Sounds an like a poorly sourced story of innuendo.
Oh that is right the Trib is bankrupt."

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 05:30:40 AM »
now that the joepa thing has blown-up, i hope people do not try to draw parrallels between the "italian-job" and buzz.  the "incident(s) have been completely taken out of context.  i believe the alleged victim(s) have a role to play here too.  they  need to come out either directly or indirectly and lay it out there so those involved can respond in kind.  as of now, it's like a silent-but deadly hangin over our heads.  cheesus man, bring gloria aldred out here.  problem with her, is remember her response to tsa incidents?  she claimed she didn't mind the aggresssive searches as it had been some time since she was touched like that and it actually, "she liked it"
 http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2010/11/19/gloria_allred_on_tsa_pat-down_i_liked_it.html

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 07:06:13 AM »
I don't think anyone will confuse this for the JoePa incident. I truly don't mean to demean what may or may not have happened at Marquette, but covering up the rape of children for a decade is not even remotely the same thing as this. The PSU incident is probably the most heinous thing I've ever heard of in sports.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 07:34:44 AM »
ugh... live and learn MU...protecting the program is not more important than protecting people (and covering your ass)

I dream of summers when commits get dropped for better players.

Whoa there.  The policy MU had in place was the policy for ALL students. That is what is being investigated.  It was brought to light because of the situations last year involving athletes, but to say what you did is loose with the facts and quite honestly, very dangerous.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 07:57:39 AM »
And seriously, can we not have the whole debate over again over what we think happened?  Changes to procedures were made...the University's former chief legal officer lost his job...  And the worst that can come from this is a fine.  Nothing will happen to the alleged perpetrators, the alleged victims or any one else.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 08:00:46 AM »
I get that, probably worded a little strong,  my point is there at least was some inference to the alleged victims not to pursue this because of its high profile athlete nature. This is a very gray area and even the Dept of Ed thinks that the accuser should know the potential of what would happen, at least according to this (http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/us-reviewing-marquette-response-to-sex-assault-reports-4e30gub-133656848.html)

"Federal law requires universities to encourage victims to report crime to law enforcement officers, according to Daniel Carter, Security on Campus' director of public policy. At the same time, universities also are allowed to tell those who report crimes about the possible ramifications if they make their accusations public.
"There's a fine line between helping someone make a decision or dissuading someone from making a decision," Carter said."

IMO the gray area opens itself up to public opinion, and when the other side is athletes, public opinion is not going to be on your side. You could assume, at a minimum, the accuser heard (not what was actually said) from public safety that she should think twice about going to the police because of the high profile nature of the case. If the alleged athletes were instead a couple of Engineering students, the message would be different to the accuser, possibly only slightly, but different because of the non-high profile nature of engineering students. It almost needs to be a canned response from the Dept of Ed that needs to be relayed to the students (and signed) so that no favoritism can even be inferred.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 09:25:07 AM »
So the feds are going to come in, "study" and then rubber stamp the findings of the local authorities. Your tax dollars at work.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 09:50:55 AM »
This is not to be taken lightly. The same Dept. of Education is investigating Penn State. The circumstances are different, but ignoring allegations of sexual misconduct is a mistake.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 09:56:22 AM »
The (Chicago suburban) Daily Herald ran this Associated Press story in it's main news section today, directly under an article entitled "The Penn State scandal:  If it happened here, how would suburban schools handle it?"  

Federal Agency investigating Marquette response
MILWAUKEE -- The U.S. Department of Education confirms it is reviewing how Marquette University handled two separate cases of alleged sexual assault involving athletes.
The review falls under the federal Clery Act -- the same act that prompted federal authorities to launch an investigation of the alleged sexual abuse scandal involving a former Penn State University football coach.
Last May, a district attorney said prosecutors had decided not to charge several Marquette athletes accused of sexual assault because the school failed to notify police of the alleged incidents.
A Marquette spokeswoman said the school has provided the Education Department with all requested information. She said there have been no requests for on-campus interviews.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 10:02:16 AM by mr.MUskie »

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 09:57:49 AM »
The bad part is they (Dept of Ed) are looking to make a statement. Politically motivated (most likely to ramp up positive messages for 2012) or not, hopefully the statement will be about the PSU scandal, however laying down the law against MU would be an easy win for them and score some headlines.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 09:58:20 AM »
This is not to be taken lightly. The same Dept. of Education is investigating Penn State. The circumstances are different, but ignoring allegations of sexual misconduct is a mistake.

Also the same federal government that went to war in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Can a full-scale military invasion - preceded, of course, by a merciless bombing campaign - of Marquette's campus be far behind?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 10:04:53 AM »

It's not to be taken lightly, but honestly the worst that can come from it is a fine.  And its not the sexual misconduct that is the issue, but the *reporting* of it.  If MU shows what they have done to improve their procedures, they will be fine.

The bad part is they (Dept of Ed) are looking to make a statement. Politically motivated

Oh good lord no.  This is routine stuff when they get complaints.  This isn't that uncommon.  Remember when I mentioned the federal regulations universities have to go through when they accept federal financial aid money?  This is one of them. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 10:09:37 AM »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 10:27:15 AM »

It's not to be taken lightly, but honestly the worst that can come from it is a fine.  And its not the sexual misconduct that is the issue, but the *reporting* of it.  If MU shows what they have done to improve their procedures, they will be fine.

Oh good lord no.  This is routine stuff when they get complaints.  This isn't that uncommon.  Remember when I mentioned the federal regulations universities have to go through when they accept federal financial aid money?  This is one of them. 

So it's not a political, headline grabbing vendetta. Just a paper shuffling, bureaucratic redundancy. That's a relief, I guess.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 10:31:41 AM »
Lennys, call it what you will, but this isn't politically motivated.  It is a federal law that MU is beholden to comply with.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 10:32:12 AM »

You're probably right, but the PR damage is very real.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 10:46:53 AM »
Lennys, call it what you will, but this isn't politically motivated.  It is a federal law that MU is beholden to comply with.

I think you're probably right, but it still seems wasteful. Why do we need the federal government to spend taxpayer $ investigating something that's already been the subject of an extensive, case closed local governmental investigation?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 10:58:40 AM »
I think you're probably right, but it still seems wasteful. Why do we need the federal government to spend taxpayer $ investigating something that's already been the subject of an extensive, case closed local governmental investigation?

Talk to your Congress-critter.  They are the ones that had the bright idea to pass the Cleary Act.

MUMBA

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 11:12:26 AM »
Agendas? Vandetas?  Politically motivated statements?  A bankrupt newspaper trying to sell copy?  This is all very imaginative.  In reality, they likely have an interest in verifying that justice was legitimately pursued.  I assume that they'll verify that the policies are in place to acheive justice (for the alleged victims and defendents) going forward. 

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 11:15:40 AM »

there are many federal laws to be followed.  but which ones are enforced and acted upon is the million dollar question.  the timing of this is interesting.  the same as when these alleged incidents came to light, and back to light, and back to light, and...

my previous statement re: the correlation between buzz and joe pa was meant to only compare the knowledge of an incident and whether or not the proper protocol was followed thereafter.  not the seriousness of either, although  joe paterno's see no evil approach  has clearly blown up on him and rightly so  

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 11:27:13 AM »

Talk to your Congress-critter.  They are the ones that had the bright idea to pass the Cleary Act.

So you're saying I have to do a little research, acquaint myself with the Cleary Act and then go to the trouble of contacting my Congressman? Sounds reasonable, but nowhere near as easy as generalized bi*#&ing about the government. I'll have to think about it :D

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2011, 12:44:28 PM »
Wisky fans are having fun exuding their moral superiority.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=193&f=2565&t=8162374
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2011, 01:28:49 PM »
Wisky fans are having fun exuding their moral superiority.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=193&f=2565&t=8162374

Good for them. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kMvW-_pkX3Q&amp;fs=1&amp;source=uds" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/kMvW-_pkX3Q&amp;fs=1&amp;source=uds</a>

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2011, 01:44:18 PM »
The issue here is a civil matter where Marquette may have failed to comply with a federal regulation governing reporting. Folks, let's think about this for a moment.

1)   Several students get a bit too over indulged and engage in certain bad behavior of a sexual nature.

2)   Some of these apparently included athletes.

3)   There is a serious question whether the behavior was consentual.

4)   Marquette's building security guards (aka Public Safety) offered the female involved the option of reporting the matter to the Milwaukee Police.

5)    She declined to report it or press charges.

6)    There are no witnesses or physical evidence that would call for the DA to press charges.

Given this fact pattern, what did Marquette do wrong? The individuals involved behaved badly and got themselves into a bad situation -- men and women alike. The athletes involved, whoever they are, did not behave in a manner consistent with the representation of the value of a Catholic university and should be punished for basically bad behavior, not for a criminal act. I believe that is what marquette did. That's a far different standard than a sexual assault matter. Under the circumstances as I understand it, there is no way of knowing conclusively whether a reportable sexual assault and a criminal act, actually occurred.

If we use the DOE standard, will there come a time when Marquette will end up reporting every sexual conduct where one party wakes up the following morning regretting what he/she did?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2011, 01:59:34 PM »
Given this fact pattern, what did Marquette do wrong?

The issue is whether or not MU reported the sexual assaults on the crime statistics that they are required to disclose according to the Clery Act.  I guess the question is whether or not alleged crimes reported only to MUPS and not MPD have been included in the reports.

So this is *not* about the athletes alleged crime specifically.  Simply a question about Marquette's procedures related to reporting.  My guess is that the only reason it rose to the DoE's attention is because of the issues related to the investigation of the athletes.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2011, 02:16:43 PM »

The issue is whether or not MU reported the sexual assaults on the crime statistics that they are required to disclose according to the Clery Act.  I guess the question is whether or not alleged crimes reported only to MUPS and not MPD have been included in the reports.

So this is *not* about the athletes alleged crime specifically.  Simply a question about Marquette's procedures related to reporting.  My guess is that the only reason it rose to the DoE's attention is because of the issues related to the investigation of the athletes.

Sultan ole buddy, I don't think the fact that it involves athletes matters one bit. Nor does it matter than a criminal act occurred. It only matters that the alleged assault is high profile, was reported on the front page of one of the largest daily newspapers in America and was kept in front of the public on or about the same time a tragedy at Penn State hit the public.

The Chicago Tribune has been on a campus news kick for sometime. Just ask the University of Notre Dame or the University of Illinois if you don't believe me. The editors of the paper need some remedial time in Professor Lucas G. Staudacher's J-12 class under the session, "What is News?" I think some of the Marquette educated journalists skipped out on class that day.

By the way, are you the Sultan of South Wayne, WI, or South Wayne, NJ?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2011, 02:22:16 PM »
You misunderstand what I said.  The investigation is not *specifically* about the athletes' alleged crimes.  But most certainly those alleged crimes brought this to the DOE's attention.

And it's Wisconsin.  I have family from there.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2011, 05:34:28 PM »
You misunderstand what I said.  The investigation is not *specifically* about the athletes' alleged crimes.  But most certainly those alleged crimes brought this to the DOE's attention.

And it's Wisconsin.  I have family from there.

Have you been exiled, or does the sultan title follow you outside your lands?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2011, 06:03:53 PM »
No diplomatic immunity down here in Indiana.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2011, 10:07:48 PM »
You're probably right, but the PR damage is very real.

Not really.  Damaging short term here?  Yes.  Elsewhere? No way.  No one will remember this anywhere else.  Further, long term it will not even be a blip.  There likely will not be a follow up article, even when a final determination is made.

Don't overblow this.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2011, 10:47:13 PM »
Not really.  Damaging short term here?  Yes.  Elsewhere? No way.  No one will remember this anywhere else.  Further, long term it will not even be a blip.  There likely will not be a follow up article, even when a final determination is made.

Don't overblow this.

I hope you are right.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2011, 10:55:27 PM »
I hope you are right.

While that was an ESPN article, outside of here and UW, who else even remembers it right now?  Any discussion on the topic will immediately turn to Jerry Sandusky and Penn St.

ppp098

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2011, 11:46:20 AM »
Marquette listed in today's NYT page one story.

On Campus, a Law Enforcement System to
Itself
The Penn State scandal is emblematic of a parallel judicial
universe favoring athletes that exists at many colleges and
universities.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/12/us/on-college-campuses-athletes-often-get-off-easy.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha2

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2011, 01:44:54 PM »
Have you been exiled, or does the sultan title follow you outside your lands?

Hey Sultan, been through South Wayne many times on the way to Cuba City, Monroe and points west (aka, Dubuque). A couple of bars, a restaurant and a gas station and that's pretty much it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2011, 05:24:18 PM »
My mom grew up on a farm outside of town, but went out of district to Monroe High School.

feedback