Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: If you couldn't leave for the NBA early  (Read 8389 times)

Mayor McCheese

• All American
OT: If you couldn't leave for the NBA early
« on: February 12, 2007, 06:56:22 PM »
me and my friends today were talking about if players couldn't leave college early for the NBA... and then realized that LeBron James would be a senior, I think he would avg over 50 points a game if he was in college
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

🏀

• All American
Re: OT: If you couldn't leave for the NBA early
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 06:59:02 PM »
I would like to see a new rule that required at least two years in college. Kids like Durant and Oden can help out the NCAA.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 07:03:36 PM »
Not only do these kids help the NCAA, the NCAA helps them, maybe not those two, for I think they would be fine in the NBA, however plenty of high schoolers went straight to the NBA, and now are flipping burgers(a lil extreme, but you know what I mean), go to Wiki, and look up the NBA drafts when the high school boom was in.  Sure, you recognize some players, but even some that are in the NBA would have benefitted from some college ball (Telfair, who would be on Louisville).  Just thinking of some off the top of my head, Andrew Bynum who plays for the Lakers, sure I think he plays some PT, but a man like that would have increased their talent 150% by going to college for atleast one year
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

DoubleMU0609

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 07:07:33 PM »
Didn't they just institute a new rule this year (the reason why Durant is at TX?).  I agree that most kids should spend a year or two in the NCAA's for both basketball and personal reasons, but I don't know what that time should be.  I guess it really depends on the individual. 

(btw, what is the new rule?)

thisists

• Starter
  • brew city bred
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 07:36:34 PM »
i think the rule is only 1 year though.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 07:47:01 PM »
The rule is one year. Which really hamstrings teams even more. NCAA basketball should be a team sport, I'd love to see a coach turn down a recruit who plans on being a one-and-done.

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
I just hope...
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 09:48:21 PM »
Tom crean isnt one of those coaches.

Your telling me if some awsome center wanted to come to Marquette for one year you wouldnt want him on the team....

your nuts

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 09:51:28 PM »
Yeah put Oden or Durant on MU and we cut the nets down in Atlanta!

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 10:24:45 PM »
me and my friends today were talking about if players couldn't leave college early for the NBA... and then realized that LeBron James would be a senior, I think he would avg over 50 points a game if he was in college

If Lebron went to college he probably would have gone to Ohio State.  lets say that in theory he stayed for four years (I know this would never happen but interesting to look at) can you imagine a college basketball team with Oden and Lebron on it? WOW

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 10:31:18 PM »

If Lebron went to college he probably would have gone to Ohio State.  lets say that in theory he stayed for four years (I know this would never happen but interesting to look at) can you imagine a college basketball team with Oden and Lebron on it? WOW

actually technically the only school that gave him anything was Akron, and I remember reading something on ESPN about this, they put him on Akron, although if you had to go to school, my guess would be a Duke or UNC for him... or how bout he goes to Syracuse to team up with Melo after Melo already won the championship.... Melo, LeBron, Gerry McNamara, Hakim Warrick, no need for anyone else

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 10:32:50 PM »
The NBA rule is a sham. It accomplishes nothing in my mind. Take a guy like Oden. Do you think he will be better after a year in college, or after a year in the NBA?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 07:53:18 AM »
What'd be really nice is if everyone realized the best basketball in the country is played on NCAA courts, and no one went to NBA games, and the league imploded.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 07:58:02 AM »
Kids like Durant and Oden can help out the NCAA.

Yeah, if there is anything kids like Oden and Durant and others should be doing, its looking for ways to help out the NCAA. God knows the NCAA with their incredibly fair and flexible rule book, and sound decision making, has been good to so many student athletes over the years.  ::)

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 07:59:06 AM »
UConn would be undefeated this year.

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 08:19:13 AM »
The rule not allowing guys to jump straight into the NBA after high school actually is a stroke of genius by David Stern.  They get tons more exposure in college than they would as NBA rookies, and consequently they have a built-in following when they do graduate to the NBA.  Ostensibly a rule looking out for the best interests of 18 year old kids, it's conveniently also very good for the NBA.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 08:50:33 AM »
The NBA rule is a sham. It accomplishes nothing in my mind. Take a guy like Oden. Do you think he will be better after a year in college, or after a year in the NBA?

so the one or 2 guys who might not need the NBA... but then 20 or so others join, lose their NCAA eligibility, get drafted in the second round of the draft, go to the NBDL, and are never heard of again, yup, that rule is a sham, it accomplishes nothing except for take 18 year old kids, turn them into men before playing in the NBA, increases their skills, and save kids from ruining their lives, oh and gets them an education (who needs those though), yup does nothing

Djgoldnboy

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 09:28:24 AM »

You are looking at the minority, for the majority of high school prospects, the ruling is literally a career savior for them. 

Google "DeAngelo Collins" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Like D Wade recently told the team, enjoy your time at this level, because the next isn't all it's cracked up to be.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 09:34:57 AM by Djgoldnboy »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 09:38:25 AM »
Darius Washington?

ToddPacker

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2007, 10:06:50 AM »
Frankly, imo, a rule requiring players to play all four years in college prior to heading to the NBA would do quite a bit of damage to the NCAA.  The NCAA tournament is already one of the greatest events in all of sports due to the parity that has developed where you commonly see some startling upsets in the first few rounds.  If you had NBA type talent in the NCAAs it would be dispersed amongst the top-tier programs and would negate a lot of the parity that is present now.  Sure, the mid-majors do not really have a realistic shot of winning it all now, but at least they can make some noise.  You would have a scenario where the top 20 or so teams not only have the best talent, but also have just as much experience as do the mid-majors, thus negating the one big advantage those schools usually have.  I think it would do more harm than good.  The NCAA does not need to be a player marketing machine like the NBA. 

Djgoldnboy

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 10:24:09 AM »
No one is saying make them go 4yrs....1 is good, 2 I think would be better.  You just hate to see 18-19yr old kids throw away what could potentially be a great career if they were coached properly and given time to grow.  The NBA doesn't not allow for that since it's a cut throat business.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 10:33:49 AM »
No one is saying make them go 4yrs....1 is good, 2 I think would be better.  You just hate to see 18-19yr old kids throw away what could potentially be a great career if they were coached properly and given time to grow. 

And I'd hate to see a guy like Durant or Oden have to stay in school another year when they are a cinch for a contract worth $10 million dollars - not to mention much more than that in shoe and other endorsement deals. They guys who make mistakes by coming out, will make the same mistake after 2 years as they would after 1 (or after none for that matter). Its all relative.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 12:15:46 PM »
Darius Washington?

Funny you bring him up.  He stayed in school a couple years, so not really applicable to this situation.  However, I do compare his situation a lot to James'. 

Darius was "surprisingly" not drafted, played with the Rockets and Mavericks in pre-season, was cut, and is now playing in Greece.  He may still emerge in the NBA someday, but I don't think that's exactly how he had it planned on things working out.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2007, 03:03:59 PM »
No one is saying make them go 4yrs....1 is good, 2 I think would be better.  You just hate to see 18-19yr old kids throw away what could potentially be a great career if they were coached properly and given time to grow. 

And I'd hate to see a guy like Durant or Oden have to stay in school another year when they are a cinch for a contract worth $10 million dollars - not to mention much more than that in shoe and other endorsement deals. They guys who make mistakes by coming out, will make the same mistake after 2 years as they would after 1 (or after none for that matter). Its all relative.

But these guys are good players (the ones who make the bad mistake)... 2 years in a top program in NCAA would make their game THAT much better, make them more of a sound basketball player, especially the big guys.  Big Guys in high school hardly see competition that is their size.  Plus 2 years in college puts 20 pounds on some guys, giving them NBA size

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2007, 03:12:14 PM »
Yes, but the extra year is only going to make a difference if you're the only one staying the extra year. If everyone is bound to college for the two years, the guys who still aren't ready after two years are still gonna come out and not make it - same as those guys who would come out prematurely after their Freshman year. Make it as many years as you want - guys who are not ready are still going to come out too early. Meanwhile guys like Oden, Durant, Carmelo Anthony, etc. would be the victims of this kind of rule.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 03:57:08 PM »
I just had a thought, but I can't imagine David Stern ever enacting it.

Let's say they split the NBA draft into 4 categories.  The first being picks 1-15, then 16-30, 31-45, and 46-60.  Then you change who's eligible to be picked in each category.  Category 1 can take kids directly out of high school, category 2 requires at least 1 year post-HS, category 3 at least 2 years post-HS, and category 4 at least 3 years post-HS.

This way, your REALLY good HS players (LeBron, Kobe, Oden, Durant) can come right out.  If you don't get drafted in the top 15, you retain your NCAA eligibility, but can retry the following year.  This will keep mediocre young players from getting drafted only to ride the bench or end up in the NBDL, possibly being out of the league entirely within a year or two.

This obviously isn't a panacea, but with some refining could be a viable option.  My immediate concern is everybody would enter the draft.  They'd have the attitude of "what do I have to lose?"  They'd either get drafted high or retain their eligibility.  Plus they would lose time in the draft process that would get in the way of their education and practice with their college team.

Perhaps if you enter the draft and aren't drafted, you couldn't enter the draft the following year.  Or perhaps, NBA teams would need to sponsor players to enter the draft.  Say each team can sponsor 2 HS, 4 1+HS, and 6 2+HS players.  Or somehow the league can sponsor 15 HS, 30 1+HS, 45 2+HS players eligible each year.

Thoughts?