'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: JC's Second Coming  (Read 8026 times)

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
JC's Second Coming
« on: October 22, 2009, 10:34:32 PM »
Word on the street is that he's getting his cast off next week. Possible second half return too much to ask for?
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

bilsu

• All American
Re: JC's Second Coming
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 10:38:43 PM »
They should red-shirt him anyways. We already wasted a year of Fulce's and Otule's career by not redshirting them last year.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 10:42:27 PM »
I doubt it.  Fulce and Otule barely got any playing time...

As long as our guys are somewhat serviceable at the 1, he stays redshirtted.  The only way I see him playing this season (if somehow he is healthy) is if there is another injury, and God PLEASE forbid that from happening.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 10:51:10 PM »
Word on the street is that he's getting his cast off next week. Possible second half return too much to ask for?

An achilles tendon injury takes a long time to heal after the cast is removed.  They need to redshirt him.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 11:09:19 PM »
The prognosis following Achilles tendon rupture is good with either surgical or nonsurgical treatment. However, with surgery, athletes can return to activity sooner, and the recurrence rate is less than 5%, whereas individuals following the nonsurgical approach experience a 40% re-rupture rate (Lin). With a heel support, the individual can begin some weight-bearing activity after 6 weeks. Full return to athletics generally takes 4 to 6 months (Nannini). The prognosis becomes less optimistic with successive rupture of the same tendon.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 11:13:18 PM »
Buzz also said that he probably should have redshirted a couple of guys last year, and it wasn't when he referenced wanting Dwight Burke to still be around.  If he believed it was a mistake not to redshirt Fulce and Otule last year he's not going to make the same mistake by forcing Cadougan out there as a freshman point guard wwhen he's no more than 70% healthy.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 11:38:49 PM »
When was Cadougan's surgery?  This seems fast to get the cast off.  I ruptured my achilles and ifrst treeatment was non-surgiccal it ruttured again during rehab.  Surgery and 8 more weeks in a cast.

I doubt seriously that Cardougan could play this year.  Rehab is tough, painful, and slow. It probalby makes sense top red-shirt and keep hin red-shirted.

JimmyBIToldYa

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 11:47:01 PM »
I had a very serious ankle injury that required emergency surgery (not achilles however) and I do not believe he could come back this year. after just a few weeks of being in that cast those muscles have atrophied so much that it takes a really long time to gain full strength and range of motion back.

and even after that process, the mental recovery is just as hard as the physical rehab as you have to learn to cut and play full speed again with out worrying about re injury. it took me a good two-three years before i felt that I was able to accelerate and cut the way I could pre-injury (granted, I did not have the world-class rehab program that JC will have)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 12:07:41 AM »
RS Cadougan now. Let it sink in that he'll sit out the year with the focus on getting healthier and stronger.

When the 2010 season comes around, he'll be amped to get on the court.
SS Marquette

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 07:19:50 AM »
Redshirt with a good rehab process.  Let him come back 100% next years with 4 years eligibility.

Tigidal

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 07:24:31 AM »
JR said he's "HEALING UP LIKE A MUTANT" on Facebook.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 08:08:09 AM »
Buzz also said that he probably should have redshirted a couple of guys last year, and it wasn't when he referenced wanting Dwight Burke to still be around.  If he believed it was a mistake not to redshirt Fulce and Otule last year he's not going to make the same mistake by forcing Cadougan out there as a freshman point guard wwhen he's no more than 70% healthy.
Some people do not learn from their mistakes. I hope Buzz does.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 08:23:18 AM »
Not sure why people feel the need to decide anything right now. If January or so rolls around and the doctors say he's good to go, in my mind at that point it should be almost entirely up to the player to decide (in consultation with doctors/coaches/family). There is absolutely no reason to declare his season over today. While it would appear to be the likely outcome anyway, there is nothing to be lost by letting it just play out.

If by some chance he is able to come back and play this year, I'm not sure getting that experience doesn't end up being more valuable then the extra year on the back end. 2011, 2012, and 2013...those are shaping up to be the seasons for MU anyway. If he is able to get some experience and take some BE lumps this year, in my mind that positions MU better come next season. If they bring him back to primarily ride the bench...well, that would be a bad idea.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 08:30:23 AM »
If by some chance he is able to come back and play this year, I'm not sure getting that experience doesn't end up being more valuable then the extra year on the back end. 2011, 2012, and 2013...those are shaping up to be the seasons for MU anyway. If he is able to get some experience and take some BE lumps this year, in my mind that positions MU better come next season. If they bring him back to primarily ride the bench...well, that would be a bad idea.

So, you are saying that it would be more valuable for him to play a half-season coming off an injury now than it would be playing an extra season at full-strength later?  Why?  I'd rather get a full four years of him and Vander playing together rather than have him learning how to be a BE point guard coming in halfway through the year off an injury.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 08:37:42 AM »
No, I'm saying I think it would be better for him to play a half season at full strength now. If he can't come back at full strength, then he should not come back. If he can, then I think his contribution in 2011 and beyond will be that much more significant. As I said, I will be surprised if that happens. But if he is cleared to play, and he wants to play, in my world, that's primarily his call.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 08:40:33 AM »
Actually, it's Buzz's call primarily.  If Buzz thinks it is in the best interests of the team to have him sit out the year, even if he is full strength in January, than he should be redshirted.  But this is kind of silly because there is no chance that he'll be at full strength in January.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 09:01:53 AM »
In the win now approach in today's sports it will be hard for a coach not to use a player that might get him that extra win. Assuming Cadougan can come back and play this year, I hope Buzz considers what difference it really makes. If we are not an NCAA team without him, we probably will not be an NCAA team with him. I hate to see us use Cadougan, if the only difference means we finish the season 16-15 vs 15-16.

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 09:24:25 AM »
It's not a decision that needs to be made now anyway.  Moot point until he is back to full strength.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 09:36:58 AM »
As excited as I was when Mbakwe made it back early to play, and as much as I initially thought it was the right thing to do to reward his hard work, in hindsight I thought it was a mistake.  Junior should be red shirted this year.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 09:49:57 AM »
Not sure why people feel the need to decide anything right now. If January or so rolls around and the doctors say he's good to go, in my mind at that point it should be almost entirely up to the player to decide (in consultation with doctors/coaches/family). There is absolutely no reason to declare his season over today. While it would appear to be the likely outcome anyway, there is nothing to be lost by letting it just play out.

+1

Weird that the team of doctors that know every detail of JC's injury, all happen to MUScoopers. 

GOO

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 10:22:36 AM »
Either way, it sure would be nice if JC can come back and at least practice with the team by December/January.  Even if he doesn't play, a few months of practice will have him ready to go next year.  The Redshirt decision can be made after he has been practicing for a month.  If he isn't 100% or is having trouble picking up the offense/defense, then he continues to Redshirt.  If he is practicing, is at 100% and is the best point guard or second best point in practice, then why Redshirt him?  The decision can wait until he is back and going at it, of course.  And, in my opinion, it is the players choice in the end.  Buzz can tell him to Redshirt and if he doesn't he can tell him that he probably won't play, but in the end it is JC's call.  It's the coach's call as to who plays and how much, but it should be up to the player if he Redshirts or not, in my opinion. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2009, 11:09:12 AM »
And, in my opinion, it is the players choice in the end.  Buzz can tell him to Redshirt and if he doesn't he can tell him that he probably won't play, but in the end it is JC's call.  It's the coach's call as to who plays and how much, but it should be up to the player if he Redshirts or not, in my opinion. 

I respectfully disagree.  I think that if Buzz knows that a kid probably won't play, he should not let the kid lose an entire year of eligibility just so that he can sit on the end of the bench in uniform for 10 games.  If he can contribute, fine.  But I think Buzz would do a disservice to the program and to the player to let him waste a year of eligibility if he's not going to play.

Putting his legal difficulties aside, I wonder how Mbakwe feels about that lost year of eligibility.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 11:16:28 AM »
An Achilles rupture should not be rushed. Redshirt.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2009, 11:20:10 AM »
Putting his legal difficulties aside, I wonder how Mbakwe feels about that lost year of eligibility.

With everything that's happened with Mbakwe, I get the impression he's not real interested in sticking around college any longer than necessary.  He'd probably rather play professionally in Europe than save that 5th year.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2009, 11:22:45 AM »
In the win now approach in today's sports it will be hard for a coach not to use a player that might get him that extra win. Assuming Cadougan can come back and play this year, I hope Buzz considers what difference it really makes. If we are not an NCAA team without him, we probably will not be an NCAA team with him. I hate to see us use Cadougan, if the only difference means we finish the season 16-15 vs 15-16.

But what if you're in a re-building year?  Nobody expects us to do well anyways, sans this board so why not have him contribute when the expectations are higher?