'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Merger with American  (Read 15314 times)

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: Merger with American
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2014, 06:44:44 PM »
No. Way. No. How.

tweakers_suck

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2014, 06:47:14 PM »
Wow. My post went right over your head.

The fact that a thread exists to basically undo everything we did in the last year to ensure stability of the future of this university's athletic program is bewildering.

Actually, I'm completely agreeing with you. I was referring to the original poster and others that suffer from CRS - can't remember $h1t.

Breaking up with the football schools was for survival.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2014, 07:02:08 PM »
Actually, I'm completely agreeing with you. I was referring to the original poster and others that suffer from CRS - can't remember $h1t.

Breaking up with the football schools was for survival.

Sorry about that. Good minds think alike.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2014, 10:34:13 PM »
"Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it,"

at least the second time this week that quote has been used.  good lord this must be the third thread on this truly insane topic.  which reminds me of another familiar saying..."do you know the definition of insanity?   doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2014, 12:03:20 AM »
Just a small note. We didn't kick out the football schools. We left. The Big East was renamed to the American Athletic Conference. We created a new conference and took the name Big East which we negotiated with the AAC.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2014, 08:01:34 AM »
my god - and people wonder why the human race is doomed - have a freaking historical conscience people

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2014, 08:05:58 AM »
Just a small note. We didn't kick out the football schools. We left. The Big East was renamed to the American Athletic Conference. We created a new conference and took the name Big East which we negotiated with the AAC.
100% correct. I think the media forgets that.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2014, 08:12:30 AM »
100% correct. I think the media forgets that.
I'd prefer they do.  I think it's better for us if people consider it one continuous conference.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2014, 08:14:51 AM »

How do you fire a partner from a partnership?   The answer is you cannot.  So everyone quits leave him alone.  Then you pay him for the name if that is important to you.

WVU started it, Cuse and Pitt piled on.  When ND announced it was leaving for the ACC it was over.  The basketball-only schools (aka Catholic 7) took matters into their own hands and kicked out the rest of the football schools by leaving.  Then they bought the BE name from them.

mike_long

• Walk-On
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2014, 08:33:23 AM »
Insanity is defined as repeating the same behavior and expecting a different result.

Has everyone already forgotten what doomed the Big East? The purpose of this league was basketball, thus there are only basketball minded schools. Adding football schools to this conference would create the same scenario in the future. Can we put an end to this thought and this thread, because it's literally INSANE!

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2014, 08:43:58 AM »
It's been one year. Teams in the new conference had down year, and we still got four into the NCAA tournament. That's 40% of the conference.

MU, Butler, and Georgetown all had down years and will rebound. Villanova isn't going anywhere. Creighton may not be top of the list next year but they will compete every year, as will Xavier. St. John's and Providence are on the rise. Seton Hall has a chance to be decent. DePaul, well, they'll be the bottom feeder for a while but every conference has one. The Big East is fine.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2014, 08:55:18 AM »
How do you fire a partner from a partnership?   The answer is you cannot.  So everyone quits leave him alone.  Then you pay him for the name if that is important to you.

WVU started it, Cuse and Pitt piled on.  When ND announced it was leaving for the ACC it was over.  The basketball-only schools (aka Catholic 7) took matters into their own hands and kicked out the rest of the football schools by leaving.  Then they bought the BE name from them.

Keep in mind that during a small window of time last year, the basketball schools - arguably - had the necessary votes to disband the conference and auction off its assets... however, such an action would have unquestionably been followed by more than one lawsuit, the likes of which would have languished in the courts for years and probably cost both sides millions of dollars.  The actual split was a negotiated result that kept the matter internal and everyone happy, but the C-7 held most, if not all, of the cards in charting the path that was taken.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2014, 08:57:45 AM »
1.  Merge with AAC and split the buyout money they got.
2.  Use buyout money to offer Shaka $7 mil signing bonus.
3.  Breakaway again, reclaiming Big East name and MSG tournament site.
4.  Add SLU and Dayton.
5.  Re-launch website 6 months later.
6.  Demand more money from FS1 for NBE 2.0 contract.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2014, 09:12:56 AM »
1.  Merge with AAC and split the buyout money they got.
2.  Use buyout money to offer Shaka $7 mil signing bonus.
3.  Breakaway again, reclaiming Big East name and MSG tournament site.
4.  Add SLU and Dayton.
5.  Re-launch website 6 months later.
6.  Demand more money from FS1 for NBE 2.0 contract.

FS1 will tell you to go bend over

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2014, 09:25:57 AM »
I knew that one would get rise out of you.

tweakers_suck

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2014, 09:30:10 AM »

This is spot on correct and how the real world functions. Although TAMUEagle is technically correct, we essentially kicked out football.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2014, 09:41:44 AM »
The specifics of how it happened are really beside the point.  The bigger issue is that we finally found autonomy in the age of Big Football.  Do we really want to give up a guaranteed $50 million and a home we know is secure for essentially the same league we left nine years ago and the stability issue that's haunted us for three years?  The football super-league issue isn't settled; UConn to the ACC or Big 10, Memphis and Cincy to the Big 12, USF and UCF to the SEC (unlikely) is still possible.  What do we do then?

Al went 22-30 in his first two seasons.  Perspective and patience, people.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 09:48:40 AM by mikekinsellaMVP »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2014, 10:29:59 AM »
Shouldn't that be in teal?  I'm sure the current Big East schools couldn't wait to kick Syracuse, Louisville and Uconn out...

...Who needs good competition?

"Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it,"

George Santayana

Oops, Jet beat me to it, at lest I got the author.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 10:31:48 AM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Scooter22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2014, 04:29:59 PM »
PASS - very happy with our conference.  Give it a couple of years, will you?  We barely escaped the old Big East with our lives...

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2014, 04:40:50 PM »
Better start supporting the Big East Tourney.  I didn't witness many of you there.  Creighton saved our butt this year with 4000 fans.  We were lucky to have a couple hundred non-east residents there.  We may have a contract with MSG but they won't think twice about booting us if attendance isn't there. 

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2014, 05:30:50 PM »
We may have a contract with MSG but they won't think twice about booting us if attendance isn't there.  

The attorney from Proskauer Rose that is on retainer representing the Big East in their contractual matters described the contract between MSG and the Big East as "air tight."

This being the case, I would think the liquidated or consequential damages for MSG breaking the contract would be substantial...a suitable deterrent for what you just described.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 05:38:10 PM by MDMU04 »
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2014, 05:33:53 PM »
Dear God, please...someone.. anyone.... burn scoop to the ground