'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz Explains T on Jake  (Read 8221 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Buzz Explains T on Jake
« on: February 27, 2014, 11:11:03 PM »
Says that Jake was pointing at assistant who had setup the play telling him "It worked",and Buzz says ref somehow thought Jake was taunting him. These refs stink big time!!
Goal is National Championship

brandx

Re: Buzz Explains T on Jake
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 11:11:50 PM »
Says that Jake was pointing at assistant who had setup the play telling him "It worked",and Buzz says ref somehow thought Jake was taunting him. These refs stink big time!!

How do you taunt your own bench?

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 11:15:05 PM »
Was the T on Georgetown that followed a make-up call?  Nobody around me could figure out why either one was called.

Never heard the BC crowd jeer a technical assessed on an opponent.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 11:15:57 PM »
The refs were so bad .. The "make up T" on Gtown was the first time I'd heard a home town crowd boo a ref calling a T on the away team.

Just horrible.  Both ways.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 11:18:39 PM »
Ref thought Jake was taunting him!! That how stupid they were.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 11:21:00 PM »
Was the T on Georgetown that followed a make-up call?  Nobody around me could figure out why either one was called.

Never heard the BC crowd jeer a technical assessed on an opponent.
Yeah, Buzz implied that, he said that after T during timeout he explained to the ref that Jake was pointing to the assistant and then they called the T on GT. These refs need a timeout!!

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 11:26:19 PM »
Yeah, Buzz implied that, he said that after T during timeout he explained to the ref that Jake was pointing to the assistant and then they called the T on GT. These refs need a timeout!!
[/quo

DEFINETLY A MAKE UP CALL! 

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 11:33:05 PM »
Gotta love the warning to Buzz to stay in the coaches box in the last 1:30 of the game. Like he didn't step out all game?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 11:34:51 PM »
Gotta love the warning to Buzz to stay in the coaches box in the last 1:30 of the game. Like he didn't step out all game?
What about on that foul with like 1 minute left he was squatting all over the court! KO said he looked like a catcher.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 11:36:58 PM »
Just got back from the game.  I understand that it was a make-up call, but I need to understand it a little better.  The GU player was playing tough D on Mayo, I believe.  Did he slap his hand?  Did he play after the whistle?  We all wondered what the call was as well.

I understand that it was a make up call, but even at that there had to be something.....what was it?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 11:46:35 PM »
Just got back from the game.  I understand that it was a make-up call, but I need to understand it a little better.  The GU player was playing tough D on Mayo, I believe.  Did he slap his hand?  Did he play after the whistle?  We all wondered what the call was as well.

I understand that it was a make up call, but even at that there had to be something.....what was it?
Nobody knows not even Buzz (see above).

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 11:47:36 PM »
Wasn't a fan of the officiating - but at least it was poor both ways.  I knew we were in for a long night when I saw that both teams were in double bonus with 11:00 minutes still left in the game.

Yes, the original T was bad.  The make-up call was worse.  At least they let the kids play on the final possession.  If they blew a foul on THAT, then... I don't know what else to say...

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 11:51:48 PM »
The refs were way to involved in this game. However, given Providence's lack of depth I take these same refs for that game.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 11:54:59 PM »
One of GU's bigs, I forget which one, fouled out before the first media timeout.  Insane.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 12:11:59 AM »
Awful calls both ways. The fifth foul on both GT players wasn't a foul. The GT technical was somehow worse than Jake's technical.

This is what happens when John Cahill is in charge of refs!

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 12:39:20 AM »

Announcers insinuated that it was for trash talking, but who knows. I understand the concept of a make-up call, but it really sucks if your the player a phantom T gets called on.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 12:41:03 AM »
The refs were way to involved in this game. However, given Providence's lack of depth I take these same refs for that game.

+1
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 08:20:11 AM »
The refs were awful and made the game completely unwatchable.  No way in hell I watch that game unless Marquette is playing.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 08:24:36 AM »
The refs were awful and made the game completely unwatchable.  No way in hell I watch that game unless Marquette is playing.

Absolutely agree.  What really confused me is that I thought they were actually pretty good in the 1st half.  But that 2nd half was just so painfully bad, and bad calls against both teams.  Did The Three Jim Burr's somehow sneak in during halftime and take over the original refs bodies?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 08:24:56 AM »

+1
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 08:27:41 AM »
Love Jake's line about his last technical being for hanging on the rim.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 08:37:07 AM »
If these refs are emloyed by the Big East, the conference is in trouble. Still miss U Conn, Syracuse, and
Pitt.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 08:40:03 AM »
Announcers insinuated that it was for trash talking, but who knows. I understand the concept of a make-up call, but it really sucks if your the player a phantom T gets called on.

I don't think it was trash talking because the ref was demonstrating to the player what he did wrong.

It wasn't a personal foul much less a technical.

GoldenCoachD

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 08:45:18 AM »

When Buzz was relaying his defensive call to his team on the way down the floor, the refs thought he was calling a timeout. That was what the whistle was for. It was not a warning for being out of the coaches box.

connie

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 08:48:22 AM »
Don't know if it is the new hand-check emphasis or just the refs we now get, but whatever the cause it has been brutal to watch numerous MU games this year.  While the "Make-up T" may be a new low, 2 1/2 hour games with 50-60 foul shots are simply not enjoyable.  Win or lose.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 08:51:03 AM »
Big east will want to get a handle on this ASAP. Referees sucking the life out of games as they have, will do serious damage to your brand.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 08:57:09 AM »
"Bad" officiating isn't a problem isolated to the Big East.

I get that it's up to the conferences to contract with officials for their games, but 1) the officials do games outside the Big East (e.g. Corbett does games for the ACC & A-10, Luckie and Stephens officiate in the AAC, A-10 and ACC) and 2) every D-I official - regardless of conference - has to be certified by the NCAA.

John Cahill has nothing to do with the bad officiating in the Big East (at least when he's not in stripes).
The departure of Pitt, Cuse, ND, etc. has nothing to do with it.
The Big East isn't scheduling these guys expecting that they're going to blow calls night after night.

The NCAA is the entity in charge; they are the ones who say who can and who cannot officiate D-I games.  They are the ones who change the rules and add points of emphasis.  You want to bitch about bad officiating?  I certainly won't stop you, and I'll be happy to throw some fuel on the fire.... but at least put the blame in the right place.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 08:57:34 AM »
Don't know if it is the new hand-check emphasis or just the refs we now get, but whatever the cause it has been brutal to watch numerous MU games this year.  While the "Make-up T" may be a new low, 2 1/2 hour games with 50-60 foul shots are simply not enjoyable.  Win or lose.

They are all enjoyable if we win

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 11:49:57 AM »

Yes, and it drives me nuts when announcers fail to acknowledge the officiating at all. It was absolutely a huge part of this game.

Think about this, how could you possibly recap this game for someone that didn't see it without talking about the officiating? Two questionable technicals, two players fouled out prior to the 10 min mark in the second half, long stretches when the game basically became a free throw shooting contest.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2014, 01:03:10 PM »
+1000. So some would have no issue with watching a game that we LOSE---as long as they enjoyed themselves while watching. After all, that is the most important thing.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2014, 02:58:37 PM »
+1000. So some would have no issue with watching a game that we LOSE---as long as they enjoyed themselves while watching. After all, that is the most important thing.

But if you complain about the refs when your teams lose, you are making excuses.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2014, 08:45:26 PM »

Even Kevin O'neil called it a good call!  I don't get it.

connie

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2014, 07:50:09 AM »
I understand, but just don't agree.  The win was satisfying, but not enjoyable.  Maybe a small difference, but it goes to a broader point.  This game was a horrible product because of the officiating.  No one but a MU or Gtown fan could have toughed this one out to the end even though it was a close game.  It was brutal to watch.  We have had more than a few of these games this year, and I worry that unless the league gets control of this all NBE members will eventually suffer.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2014, 08:33:59 AM »
This new way of calling fowls is confusing for both the players and the refs; lets take a step back and call the games like they have been for the last decade or so. There will always be "bad calls" but it seem like everything is a fowl these days.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2014, 09:43:52 AM »
Gotta say this game sucked major ass 'cause of the refs. Left with 8 min. left in the game with the outcome still unknown. Had I been home watchin', I'd have fallen asleep on the couch.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2014, 09:55:38 AM »
This new way of calling fowls is confusing for both the players and the refs; lets take a step back and call the games like they have been for the last decade or so. There will always be "bad calls" but it seem like everything is a fowl these days.
You mean like " quack quack"? Haven't seen that one before.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2014, 10:07:10 AM »

That's not saying much

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2014, 10:59:38 AM »
Gotta say this game sucked major ass 'cause of the refs. Left with 8 min. left in the game with the outcome still unknown. Had I been home watchin', I'd have fallen asleep on the couch.

I did the same thing at the Creighton game. It isn't fun to watch a game where a foul is called on 7 of 8 possessions.

This new version of college hoops is not enjoyable.

Bad calls happen but it just seems like the refs don't know what is a foul themselves and are simply reacting. Then they get into a situation where they feel like they called it once so they have to keep calling something. Sure it is consistent but it leads to games with 50+ fouls which has no pace and is just boring.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 11:03:15 AM by Marquette_g »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2014, 11:37:46 AM »
Left with 8 min. left in the game with the outcome still unknown.

Wow--I can say in all my years going to MU games I have never left a tightly contested game that we must win to keep our tourney hopes alive 'cuz the refs were messing with my enjoyment of the evening and making it boring for me.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2014, 11:46:24 AM »
The new emphasis was put in place to allow for more offense so we don't get 44-42 games with missed shots all over the place.  I think that is not necessarily a bad thing.  There have been much fewer of those brutal type games this year.

That said, there has got to be a better way than team's simply shooting free throws every fricking possession.  The flow of the G'Town  and Creighton games were just terrible.

I think this off-season they need to re-think their philosophy without reverting back to years where defenses were getting away with murder.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2014, 11:51:02 AM »
I don't watch the NBA very much at all, but didn't the NBA go through the same process and it was ugly for a season or so before the players and refs adapted enough?  This seems to follow that pattern.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2014, 12:38:47 PM »
Watching the Cinci-UConn game right now.

Cronin goes absolutely nuts on an out of bounds call.  (Good call, by the way.) Charging right at Ted Valentine, screaming into his face from 2 inches away, needing to be restrained by Cinci players and assistants.  Then he breaks away from his players and charges back at Valentine.  Reading his lips, he was clearly saying "that's bull****, Ted."  Announcers say it's been a long time since they've seen a coach go that far without a T...but that Valentine showed "great restraint" by not calling the T.

And Jake gets a T for shouting at his own bench....
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 12:59:50 PM by GooooMarquette »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2014, 01:09:13 PM »
If you look at it again, Valentine stepped into Cronin's face after Cronin made his first statement.  I think Valentine knew he screwed up and that he why he didn't give him a technical.

Watching Cronin push his assistant...and then the players push Cronin was pretty funny though.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2014, 01:59:40 PM »

Given his vantage point on the table, he didn't exactly see it well either.  He assumed it was taunting, thought Jake pointed at a GT player given the T, which is why he said it was a good call.  Basically was saying removing taunting from the game is a good thing.  Even he had known the true reason, I doubt he makes that statement.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2014, 02:11:57 PM »
I don't watch the NBA very much at all, but didn't the NBA go through the same process and it was ugly for a season or so before the players and refs adapted enough?  This seems to follow that pattern.

The NBA also gives way too much leeway to superstars, ignores blatant travels, and swallows their whistle at the end of games... Not exactly the system I'd support being implemented

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2014, 02:27:21 PM »
Wow--I can say in all my years going to MU games I have never left a tightly contested game that we must win to keep our tourney hopes alive 'cuz the refs were messing with my enjoyment of the evening and making it boring for me.

There is no doubt you care more than I do then. I view MU hoops as a form of entertainment. Once the game ceases being entertaining I'm not really that interested in watching.

The new officiating has reduced my enjoyment of the game.  I still want MU to win but don't enjoy watching free throw competitions.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2014, 03:31:27 PM »
That's not saying much

You really come down on O'Neill a lot. I don't know much about the guy, but is it safe to say you don't care for him very much?

feedback