Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Records to be Broken Soon  (Read 8420 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Marquette Records to be Broken Soon
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2007, 06:33:42 PM »
If DJ breaks the record, it's because he busted his butt and deserves to break the record.  More power to him.  I like the kid and I loved Diener too.  I don't see DJ dogging it but I guess others do.  The kid wants to win and so did Diener, that's why I enjoy watching them play so much.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2007, 07:48:38 PM »
On pace to break MU's all-time scoring record, be top five all-time in steals, second in assists, first in games played and could win 90+ games when all is said and done.

Just imagine what he might accomplish if he were, you know, any good at this basketball thingy.

This thread further validates my belief that DJ is the most underappreciated Marquette player in at least the last 20 years.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2007, 07:52:52 PM »

This thread further validates my belief that DJ is the most underappreciated Marquette player in at least the last 20 years.

You might be on to something and I think by and large it is due to his high rankings coming out of high school.  It's like the fans ripping the #1 draft choice but cutting the 4th rounder a break.

James is viewed in a different prism because of his recruiting rankings.  I believe Mason was as well, so was Novak for 3 years.  Some people expect these kids to just take over from day 1 and some do....DJ had a great Freshman year.  By most standards, a very good sophomore year, but because of his rankings and his freshman debut, the expectations were even higher by some.

He has had a more productive a first two years at MU then probably 98% of MU players in it's history.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2007, 07:55:12 PM »
prn: I am not rooting for records to be broken (I love that Thompson is the leading scorer) but I sure as hell don't root against records being broken.  That shows a complete lack of class.  Do you ever think you would see a guy like Jack Nicklaus come out and say he is rooting for Tiger to fail? No, never.  Classy guys say they love having the record, but records are made to be broken and if someone breaks it, so be it.  Also, you can use classy to describe basketball fans; however you may be unware of that as you often seem to be lacking of it.

Perhaps you can point out to me where I said I'd be "rooting against" any of our players.

Preposterous!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2007, 08:06:56 PM »
First and foremost, we are talking right now if he broke the record, I wouldn't be thrilled. If he continued the same caliber of play, I don't think he becomes a Marquette Legend.

I feel like other players are liked more than others because you can point to their careers and see what they have accomplished. As of now DJ has accomplished nothing.

I also feel that looking at other careers, the players positives outweigh the negatives. Right now, DJ is leading in negatives. His issues at the end of the year, the NBA and how dedicated he was to leaving, shortcomings in the tournament, and he didn't play to his potential last year. I realize it was a good season, but weren't we all expecting more.

Like I've said throughout the thread, he can easily change my opinion.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2007, 08:26:11 PM »
James was a legend after his freshman year.  Self-destructed his sophomore year. We will see what happens this year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2007, 08:40:36 PM »
Chico's, it is so nice to agree with you for a change.  I can tell we aren't talking politics.  ;D   If DJ stays two years and plays as he has, he sets the record.   He will have earned it.    As a 5'11" guard, he will have scored the most points and either dished out the most assists or very near to it, and probably have a three way tie with Jerel and Wes for most wins in a career.  He won't be Barry Bonds, with a body by steroids and suspicions forever dogging his records.   He will have done it on the same 94' ft long court with 10' high baskets that they have all had to play on. (Not necessarily at the Bradley Center, obviously, but stay with me)    Four years vs. 3?  Fair enough.   Not his fault.     Don't root against him.   Hope his game improves year by year like it is supposed to.   Hope that his new shooting form pays off.    Rooting against the starting point guard IS to root against the success of the team.   'I hope he blows it but we still win' isn't healthy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2007, 09:19:59 PM »
As a 5'11" guard, he will have scored the most points and either dished out the most assists or very near to it, and probably have a three way tie with Jerel and Wes for most wins in a career.

Wes was injured for a month or so his freshman year and Jerel had the injury last year.  Dominic is already ahead of both in wins.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2007, 09:48:04 PM »
If DJ breaks the scoring record, doesn't that mean he scores a lot of points? And isn't points what they count when they determine who wins a basketball game?  This is like Bill Melton telling people that you don't want Soriano hitting home runs in the lead off spot. No, you want points, runs, whatever to win the game, that's how they tell who wins.  If DJ scores 30 a night and MU doesn't make the tournament the next two years, then yeah I will be mad that he said the record.  But I don't see that happening.

And it is my belief that TD was the most overrated leader in the history of leadership.  He was way too demonstrative on the court and to his teammates.  Re-watch the 2005 home DePaul game sometime.  Or read some quotes from players (I think Novak) the year after he left, that talked about how much more relaxed they were and how Travis was just to intense.  Just my take on things.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2007, 10:07:19 PM »
I think with all of the things said about DJ and Travis, it can be summed up in one question:

If you could have DJ or Travis run last year's team, who would you pick?

Diener, two hands, two feet, and an appendage down.  ;)
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2007, 11:06:51 PM »
I think with all of the things said about DJ and Travis, it can be summed up in one question:

If you could have DJ or Travis run last year's team, who would you pick?

Diener, two hands, two feet, and an appendage down.  ;)

Fair enough and I don't disagree with you.  That being said, if I have a choice between Ms. Nevada and Ms. Arizona, both are going to suit me just fine even if one has a tiny scar on her butt.  :)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2007, 11:29:22 PM »
Whoa Whoa Whoa. Just how tiny is this scar?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2007, 11:31:35 PM »
Staying on topic Ms. Wisconsin = Marquette Grad

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2007, 06:03:52 AM »
Travis Diener running last year's team would have given it one of the things it lacked, a consistent outside shooter.  So, yeah, TD on last year's team would have been cool.   Of course, Dwyane Wade, Steve Novak, and Robert Jackson with McIlvaine coming off the bench on last year's team would have been even cooler.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2007, 07:30:11 AM »
He cannot throw an alley oop pass.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2007, 11:54:07 AM »
He cannot throw an alley oop pass.

I'm sure I'll get railed for this, but I think DJ is the better defender between the two.

TD the better shooter and pure PG.

DJ more athletic and can do some things going to the hoop that TD didn't do.

Totally different players but playing the same spot.  Glad we've had them both at MU.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2007, 04:23:09 PM »
Gotta agree w/ Chicos, It's really hard to compare TD and DJ.  While they play the same position, they have completely different assets.  James has a ton of athleticism but Diener was a true PG.  Travis gave so much every game, and while I think James definitely tries, he doesn't have the consistent output Travis did. Part of that, IMO, is that DJ feeds off the intensity Jerel brings to the games, which made Jerel's injury hurt more than just losing a body, we lost intensity too...and i don't mean the dancers, who will no longer be performing, can we get those guys from MM for the season?? but anywho...

If James can bring the intensity Travis did game in and game out and throughout the game, we're in a lot better position than when he rollercoasters throughout games and the season like he has done.

HarveysWallbangers

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2007, 04:43:23 PM »
Intensity isn't involved anymore? I hope those beauties will be merged with the cheerleaders. Wasn't that Miss Wisconsin a member of Intensity? She was easy on the eyes!

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2007, 04:49:01 PM »
not sure i would describe diener as a "true point guard."  the dude was definitely more of a scoring point.  His assist numbers were right on par with DJ.  Diener's career average was 5.1 APG while DJ is currently at 4.9 APG.  Granted, MU needed him to score a bunch his last two seasons, but still...

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2007, 07:52:15 AM »
DJ really doesn't deserve the record. I hope he doesn't get it.

Besides being a great ball palyer and a good kid, what else hasd DJ done to make you hate him so?

Let's see, George Thompson was a legend. DJ will not be remembered in the same light if his career follows as it has. He was under produced, been selfish, and makes terrible decisions.

Personally, I don't find him as a player I can like. His personality strikes me wrong. I don't think he gives it his all on the court, games and practices.

Travis on the other hand, I feel is the anti-DJ. He wasn't nearly as athletic, but built talents such as 3-point shooting. He was fearless, played with reckless abandon, and was great leader from day one.

I would love for DJ to change my impressions though.

This is an interesting post, because I think there is definitely a portion of MU fans that feel the same way.

I have to say that I definitely disagree with you about DJ, and I think the reason why you and some others dislike him is simply because expectations and hype were through the roof last year.

Trust me, DJ is a very nice kid (met him several times, never got any "attitude" from him), he works his butt off (have you ever seen any Crean player coast in a game or practice?), and he's going to have a solid year.

I understand some people's frustrations with him (he's not a great shooter, he probably shoots too much, sometimes the game doesn't "flow" for him like it did for Travis, he stands and dribbles a lot, which drives me crazy, etc.).

I feel the same way sometimes.

But, you have to take the good with the bad with DJ. No way MU wins the Valpo game if DJ didn't get atomically hot and single handedly beat them. BUT, I also recognize that he took a lot of jumpers that didn't look so good in several other games.

Is he the next DW3? No. But, he does have some unique talents, and another year of maturity should help him greatly.

I have no problem with George Thompson fans saying that they hope his record stands forever, but it's a little harsh to call out a player and say "I hope he doesn't get it". I mean, come on.

If DJ stays for 4 years and breaks it, then he deserves to break it. AND if you want some more perspective on the whole record breaking topic, watch the movie 61*.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2007, 03:56:31 PM »
james wont be here in 08-09. cross him off the list
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2007, 07:56:07 AM »
james wont be here in 08-09. cross him off the list

I think you are probably right, however, if he is here and breaks the record... he will deserve it.

feedback