[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2015 Non-conference Schedule  (Read 67438 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: 2015 Non-conference Schedule
« Reply #200 on: July 15, 2015, 11:31:29 AM »
Okay, so watching Wojo I'd argue that this year's schedule is on purpose.  We've got a super young team that needs to learn how to win.  Losing to the likes of Omaha again can't happen.  Getting our butts whipped 5-6 games in a row during conference was extra hard on the kids and it showed.  Wojo has decided to go the Cincinnati route this year and pile up some success.  I can live with it.

Yes, this.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #201 on: July 15, 2015, 11:34:39 AM »
Schedule is pathetic and there's no excuse for it. Georgetown has the same limitations in terms of a professional stadium and a similar budget. Georgetown is also going to Italy this summer so that excuse is also gone.

Yet Georgetown is playing Syracuse, @Uconn, 2 of Duke/Wisconsin/VCU, @ Maryland, Radford(RPI 151), Bryant(RPI 189), @ UNC Charlotte (RPI 204). Obviously we don't know our whole schedule yet, but even if the last 3 games are all sub 300 it's still far and away better.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #202 on: July 15, 2015, 11:42:26 AM »
Schedule is pathetic and there's no excuse for it. Georgetown has the same limitations in terms of a professional stadium and a similar budget. Georgetown is also going to Italy this summer so that excuse is also gone.

Yet Georgetown is playing Syracuse, @Uconn, 2 of Duke/Wisconsin/VCU, @ Maryland, Radford(RPI 151), Bryant(RPI 189), @ UNC Charlotte (RPI 204). Obviously we don't know our whole schedule yet, but even if the last 3 games are all sub 300 it's still far and away better.

Good for Georgetown.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #203 on: July 15, 2015, 11:51:03 AM »
I love your analysis 03eng but here's what I'll say.  MU's chances of beating some upper tier BEast teams is enhanced by the kids learning to win together in November and December.  It makes practice more fun, etc.  I think Wojo believes that he'll make more progress with 18 y/o kids if they're upbeat.  I think he's thinking longer term.  If this year's team goes 20-11 and makes a good NIT run I believe we'll all consider that progress.

If I buy this logic, then we have to assume at that the staff wants "guaranteed" wins that even a 250-300 RPI team at home puts at risk.  So how much are they going to improve from the beginning of the season that an RPI 250 team at home is shaky to beating an RPI top 50 team on the road???  These guys have all played basketball, its not like we are taking really talented football players and teaching them basketball.  The new player learning curve is significant but its not that insane.

Based on this evaluation of the team, then we should lose the first 4 out of 5 games with IUPUI being "iffy".

If Wojo and Broeker are this hestiant on the team, we don't win 20 games and we definitely don't make the tournament.  This is a schedule set to make the NIT and that is a major disappointment to me given what the program is suppose to be.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #204 on: July 15, 2015, 12:02:34 PM »

A tidbit that I've been a proponent of if we've already failed to schedule "better bad" teams, is at least replacing the very worst with a Division II team.   

IIRC, pretending Grambling was replaced with a DII opponent in 2013 would have raised our SOS by 24 places.
[/quote]
I think losing or even beating a division II game would end up costing you, if you are one of the bubble teams. It may not figure in the  RPI, but when  you are being compared to other bubble teams for the final few spots it is going to be noticed by the committee.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #205 on: July 15, 2015, 12:08:52 PM »
Look if the is Wojo's plan fine. I don't agree with it and don't like it but whatever. But it's gonna be hard pressed for me to go to a game in the middle of December against these teams. What's that gonna be for the casual fan or student. The BC is going to be empty and silent. Frankly these games are just boring and people aren't going to care about them.

Lets not forget Wojo had that meeting with the students about getting more fans to the game and involved. Doing this doesn't help in the slightest, it only hurts it.

connie

• All American
« Reply #206 on: July 15, 2015, 12:12:40 PM »
I understand that part of getting season tickets is supporting the team and school, but it is very tempting to kill the season package and just pay a premium and get really good seats for the handful of meaningful games each year.
I think that call gets closer every year.

I understand the need for a couple of buy-game cupcakes, but this is getting silly. It is tough to get fired up for a Wed night game--probably starting at 8pm, in the middle of January, against Stetson.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #207 on: July 15, 2015, 12:13:42 PM »
If I buy this logic, then we have to assume at that the staff wants "guaranteed" wins that even a 250-300 RPI team at home puts at risk.  So how much are they going to improve from the beginning of the season that an RPI 250 team at home is shaky to beating an RPI top 50 team on the road???  These guys have all played basketball, its not like we are taking really talented football players and teaching them basketball.  The new player learning curve is significant but its not that insane.

Based on this evaluation of the team, then we should lose the first 4 out of 5 games with IUPUI being "iffy".

If Wojo and Broeker are this hestiant on the team, we don't win 20 games and we definitely don't make the tournament.  This is a schedule set to make the NIT and that is a major disappointment to me given what the program is suppose to be.

I'll agree that RPI 250s would have been preferable.  I'd also be interested in any midwestern 3 for 1 deals we could ink.  Let's play Loyola that way for example.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 12:15:54 PM by jsglow »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #208 on: July 15, 2015, 12:15:10 PM »
Look if the is Wojo's plan fine. I don't agree with it and don't like it but whatever. But it's gonna be hard pressed for me to go to a game in the middle of December against these teams. What's that gonna be for the casual fan or student. The BC is going to be empty and silent. Frankly these games are just boring and people aren't going to care about them.

Lets not forget Wojo had that meeting with the students about getting more fans to the game and involved. Doing this doesn't help in the slightest, it only hurts it.

I tend to agree with this, but that's not even the worst part.  We will not make the tournament with this schedule and that will have a far more significant impact on next year.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #209 on: July 15, 2015, 12:16:14 PM »
I'll agree that RPI 250s would have been preferable.

Right so they willfully made a choice to schedule those 8 teams....was it money or "fear of competition" or both?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #210 on: July 15, 2015, 12:16:55 PM »

You aren't a student anymore, now even a crappy game is an excuse to go to the Schoolyard and get a decent buzz on and meet other young alumni... if you're in Chicago.  It's not just about going anymore. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #211 on: July 15, 2015, 12:18:18 PM »
I tend to agree with this, but that's not even the worst part.  We will not make the tournament with this schedule and that will have a far more significant impact on next year.

No the WORST part is that ratings for your podcast go down.   ;)

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #212 on: July 15, 2015, 12:20:20 PM »
Right so they willfully made a choice to schedule those 8 teams....was it money or "fear of competition" or both?

Be nice to know, wouldn't it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #213 on: July 15, 2015, 12:21:03 PM »
No the WORST part is that ratings for your podcast go down.   ;)

That is true, all the ad revenue we lose!!!!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #214 on: July 15, 2015, 12:47:55 PM »
You aren't a student anymore, now even a crappy game is an excuse to go to the Schoolyard and get a decent buzz on and meet other young alumni... if you're in Chicago.  It's not just about going anymore.

Couple problems with that for me personally is I don't drink during games. Ever.

source?

• All American
« Reply #215 on: July 15, 2015, 12:52:58 PM »

...and Georgetown went to the NCAA tournament last year, and returns a much higher percentage of their team, and doesn't pay rent in their professional stadium because an alum owns it...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #216 on: July 15, 2015, 01:12:35 PM »

Yet you (and evidently many other people here) think that the BC will be an absolutely rocking environment if Texas Southern comes to the BC instead of Grambling?  Sorry, but I am absolutely, positively not buying that one bit.  If the casual fan is going to think Stetson is a boring game, won't care about it, and won't show up for Stetson, then they won't show up for Middle Tennessee State, Charleston Southern, Lehigh, Indiana State (unless Larry Bird suits back up for them), Norfolk State, etc.

Sorry, but no matter how many people say this on here and no matter how convincingly people try to say it, scheduling these teams aren't going to change the amount of season tickets Marquette University sells and it isn't going to change paid attendance more than maybe, absolute tops, 250 extra tickets to any given game or season tickets.

Now if we're bringing in Duke, Notre Dame, Kentucky, or UNC then we can talk about selling more season tickets because of the teams we bring to the BC.  But that's not happening.

Winning 20-25 games a year against awful competition will do much more for selling tickets than losing 20 games a year but playing a top 35 strength of schedule.  There is absolutely, positively no doubt about that in my mind whatsoever.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 01:14:32 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #217 on: July 15, 2015, 01:23:53 PM »
Yet you (and evidently many other people here) think that the BC will be an absolutely rocking environment if Texas Southern comes to the BC instead of Grambling? I don't think I've seen anyone claim that. Please point it out if I'm wrong.

Sorry, but I am absolutely, positively not buying that one bit.  If the casual fan is going to think Stetson is a boring game, won't care about it, and won't show up for Stetson, then they won't show up for Middle Tennessee State, Charleston Southern, Lehigh, Indiana State (unless Larry Bird suits back up for them), Norfolk State, etc.

Sorry, but no matter how many people say this on here and no matter how convincingly people try to say it, scheduling these teams aren't going to change the amount of season tickets Marquette University sells and it isn't going to change paid attendance more than maybe, absolute tops, 250 extra tickets to any given game or season tickets. Some here would disagree with you, but I agree that the difference in ticket sales this yearis minimal. The main point is what it does for our chance at an NCAA bid. NCAA bid or close to it means more eyeballs and more butts next year.

Now if we're bringing in Duke, Notre Dame, Kentucky, or UNC then we can talk about selling more season tickets because of the teams we bring to the BC.  But that's not happening.

Winning 20-25 games a year against awful competition will do much more for selling tickets than losing 20 games a year but playing a top 35 strength of schedule.  There is absolutely, positively no doubt about that in my mind whatsoever. That's a false choice. Which I think you get by now.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #218 on: July 15, 2015, 01:24:17 PM »
Couple problems with that for me personally is I don't drink during games. Ever.

It's like you're speaking mormon to me but anyways  you're bound to be very disappointed with your seats post college when cheering isn't as fun in the upper level and you're around people who give you dirty looks if you scream bull sh*t at a call around their kids. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 01:32:13 PM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #219 on: July 15, 2015, 01:25:19 PM »
We're going to have 20 home games this year, including the exhibition.  That's more than normal, so I don't know if that's to generate more revenue.  Maybe we could have scrapped one of these 300+ RPI home games and started a home-and-home on the road with a high major that would help the home slate next year.  Or maybe even agree to start on the road as part of a 2 or 3 for 1 with a decent mid-major like Loyola, Bradley, UWM or UWGB that would have helped out with home games in the future.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #220 on: July 15, 2015, 01:37:34 PM »
It's like you're speaking mormon to me but anyways  you're bound to be very disappointed with your seats post college when cheering isn't as fun in the upper level and you're around people who give you dirty looks if you scream bull sh*t at a call around their kids.

That second part is what I'm most worried about  ;D That and the fact that I can't have nice one sided chats with Mrs. Dekker or Mrs. Cooley anymore.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #221 on: July 15, 2015, 01:53:09 PM »
Wojo is all bark and no bite

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #222 on: July 15, 2015, 02:22:05 PM »

For your first point I guess I don't get why people are screaming or crying for more teams like Belmont and less teams like Grambling and then reference the horrible crowd we are going to have at our non conference home games.  Seems to me that the logic here is that if we schedule Grambling (or Texas Southern, or other 150-250 RPI teams) that people seem to think that the BC would be packed as opposed to our sub 300 RPI games.  I tend to think the crowd for a middle of the non-conference season game will be the same if it's Southern or if it's Lehigh.

Your second point, yup.  And again, our schedule is not going to be what keeps us out of the tournament.  If we're a good enough team, we'll get in.  If not, we won't.  Which means butts will be in the seats if we're in, and butts won't if we're not.  Not because of a tough schedule or not, but because we're a good team or a bad team.

Your last point, I never made any kind of choice, so I'm not sure what you're getting at there.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #223 on: July 15, 2015, 02:24:46 PM »
That second part is what I'm most worried about  ;D That and the fact that I can't have nice one sided chats with Mrs. Dekker or Mrs. Cooley anymore.

Hey Chitown, it's perfectly acceptable to go visit friends over in the student section with your $125 season ticket.  It only gets weird when they don't remember you anymore.  Then you have to sit with us old guys because........... well, you'll be an old guy.  (Same thing sort of happens at Cafs too.)

And cheer as much as you want.  Chick and I sit around some fun folks and some fuddy duddies.  But I'll be darned if we'll become fossils ourselves.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #224 on: July 15, 2015, 02:27:10 PM »
Wojo is all bark and no bite

#bringbackshaka
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.