collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Seriously, UWM?  (Read 5476 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Seriously, UWM?
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2016, 10:35:04 AM »
UWM also has to start attracting higher caliber students.  Their first year retention and grad rates are terrible for a research school.

It is a pretty tough challenge to improve those metrics when you are the only public 4-year university in a major city.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2016, 11:01:41 AM »
It is a pretty tough challenge to improve those metrics when you are the only public 4-year university in a major city.

Agreed.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2016, 12:07:43 PM »

I thought MATC offered some 4 year degrees

Death on call

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2016, 03:27:50 PM »
It is based on my point of view as a Wisconsin resident. UWM, Whitewater , Lacrosse, Green Bay, Eau Claire etc are all consider second tier. Everyone knows they are not the flagship, I am not saying that they are lousy institutions, but it is the image. Calling Yourself University of Milwaukee, takes you out of that stigma and puts you more in line with other schools named after a city like Louisville, Pittsburgh, Miami, Dayton, Denver,Tulsa, Detroit etc.  At the higher end of the city name you have Princeton, University of Chicago and New York University etc.

Also ,you would be surprised, Milwaukee as a city is well regarded in the rest of the country.

The only state that gets away with city names after their main University of is the UC system UCLA, UC Berkeley UCSD etc  they created a lower brand of schools called Cal State

The general rule is University of means the best. XYZ State Name State is next tier, Directional  State Name and University of Hyphenated-   are next in line. Then you have XYZ City State or XYZ County State and double directionals. A good  University of City name can sneak in there right after University of. Which is why I am advocated University of Milwaukee.

LA Crosse and Green Bay are generally considered just as good as Madison...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2016, 03:34:56 PM »

LOL....what???

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2016, 03:40:29 PM »
So, USNWR has got them 2 gloriously institutions ranked higher den #34, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2016, 04:02:45 PM »
I saw this on a billboard on I-294 last night.

One of my Facebook friends got a picture:

Have some patience, FFS.

FreeRepublic

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2016, 04:29:42 PM »
UWM should be on the schedule.  Stop ducking them.  If we can't beat them every time, we deserve our fate.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2016, 04:30:45 PM »
We aren't ducking UWM.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2016, 06:08:20 AM »
UWM should be on the schedule.  Stop ducking them.  If we can't beat them every time, we deserve our fate.

Maybe Wisconsin should stop ducking them as well.  Especially after losing to them?   ::)

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2016, 10:09:28 AM »
I saw what you did there.

Did you stay long enough to watch Keefe matriculate, or was it more of a quick glance and a dry heave?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2016, 12:07:53 PM »

According to a report put out by the new publication "Alums of LaCrosse and Green Bay Quarterly."

Serious question: Is UWM the second-best UW school? If not, what is? I'm genuinely curious.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2016, 12:14:47 PM »
According to a report put out by the new publication "Alums of LaCrosse and Green Bay Quarterly."

Serious question: Is UWM the second-best UW school? If not, what is? I'm genuinely curious.

For graduate programs, most definitely.

However it is no harder to get into UWM than it is most of the other UW schools.  And the quality of the individual programs probably mean more at that point than the campuses as a whole.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2016, 12:19:41 PM »

Depends on criteria:
UW-Oshkosh - #2 in riots
UW-Parkside - #2 in Division (II)
UW-Platteville - #2 in funds misappropriated by basketball coaches
UW-Superior - #2 in oxymorons
UW-Whitewater - #2 in football wins nobody cares about
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2016, 03:32:10 PM »

For graduate programs, most definitely.

However it is no harder to get into UWM than it is most of the other UW schools.  And the quality of the individual programs probably mean more at that point than the campuses as a whole.

Spot on

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2016, 11:53:18 AM »

Once you get out of the upper midwest, nobody hiring can tell the difference out side of UW Madison.

However that's true of a lot of the "dash" schools with the exception of some of the Cal extensions (Berkley, LA, etc). Nobody in Mississippi knows the difference in quality between Northern, Western and Southern Illinois as an example.

As Sultan said, once you get out of the top 100 or top 75 it comes down to the ranking of the degree program you are matriculating from.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

feedback