[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SOTG Tennessee  (Read 9178 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
SOTG Tennessee
« on: November 30, 2014, 04:57:01 PM »
Gotta be Duane Wilson.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Nevada233

• All American
Re: SOTG Tennessee
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 04:58:57 PM »

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 04:59:48 PM »
Yup. Sealed.

Derrick big too. And no one really played bad.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 05:00:30 PM »
Duane!

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 05:00:43 PM »
Duane Wilson

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 05:00:55 PM »
Agreed on all counts.  And the wall that took Wojo's fist.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 05:01:09 PM »
SwaggyDu1

chapman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 05:01:19 PM »
Both Wilsons were great.  Duane was unbelievable.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 05:01:28 PM »
1. Du. Star in the making.

2. De. Played well. Hit a three even. But needs to get the hell out of the backcourt at the end of a close game.

This team will be fun to watch, especially when Luke gets here.  

Go Warriors!
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 05:02:14 PM »
If Duane stays for 4 years he could be the one to pass McNeals scoring record.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 05:02:29 PM »
Duane all the way!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 05:03:30 PM »
1.  Duane.
2.  Derrick.
3.  Can we FINALLY end the PG argument?

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 05:05:09 PM »
Dwyane, oops, I mean Duane Wilson.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 05:05:52 PM »
Yup. Sealed.

Derrick big too. And no one really played bad.
Please! No Brainer on Duane. Wojo did the right thing by not letting Derrick touch the ball in bounds in last two minutes.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 05:08:22 PM »
Duane played great. I want the ball in his hands all the time.

brandx

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 05:12:09 PM »
And he's only 6 games into his freshman year (eligibility-wise).

Gonna be a fun ride!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 05:18:46 PM »
Duane, obviously ...

Though I'm thrilled with how Derrick played. I would love, love, LOVE it if he proved me and others wrong for the rest of this season.

He still can't have the ball in his hands in the final few minutes of a close game, but otherwise I have nothing but good things to say about his game today. He was in control, he was a leader, he made a few very nice passes, he looked for his own shot and he established a career single-season high with his second 3!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 05:19:38 PM »
If Duane stays for 4 years he could be the one to pass McNeals scoring record.

If he plays to this level for 2 years we probably have a better chance of having a Female Pope than seeing him for 4.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 05:31:29 PM »
No other choice than Duane  nice team effort all around

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 06:08:13 PM »
The red shirt freshman.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 06:42:23 PM »
Duane.   
Derrick.
Zone.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GurneeHitchkr

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2014, 08:28:18 PM »
Duane
Zone
Derrick

ronald dragon

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2014, 08:32:35 PM »
Duane. He's really impressed so far

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2014, 08:36:25 PM »

Have some patience, FFS.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2014, 10:23:06 PM »
Let's do this like hockey shall we?

First star - Duane Wilson.  Hands down the best player on the floor two games in a row

Second star - Derrick Wilson.  Would have had a better game had Wojo gotten him out prior to Tennessee fouling him revealing his terrible FT shooting

Third star -  Juan Anderson.  Fighting with the coach then fighting on the glass for a solid game.  Impressed with his growth in having to become a leader on this team while barely looking like a basketball player the previous three years.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2014, 12:30:25 AM »
Duane. However, I will say that he is lucky Wojo did nail his ass to the bench after those first three jumpers from way beyond NBA range. I wanted to tear my hair out each time, but he made up for them in big way.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2014, 12:36:32 AM »
Duane. However, I will say that he is lucky Wojo did nail his ass to the bench after those first three jumpers from way beyond NBA range. I wanted to tear my hair out each time, but he made up for them in big way.

Duane was taking Jimmer Ferdette shots last night... They were falling... But as in Carlinos 38 point game those shots not gonna fall every night...

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2014, 08:33:40 AM »
+1 

Shot selection may need some work, but what a well-rounded offensive game the kid has!  Can shoot deep and mid-range, can take people off the dribble and get to the rim, and appears to have court vision, though a little early to be sure about that.  Gotta tighten up the handle a little bit, but I am really excited about this kid's future (and his present) at MU.  How could you not be?
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2014, 08:44:26 AM »

I thought it was great that Wojo trusted him, kept him in the game and probably even encouraged him to keep shooting.

Shooters gotta shoot.

I think he will develop into a nice all-around PG but it is his shotmaking ability that could make him one of our best players in recent years. The kid hit 52% of his 3s in high school. 52%!!!! The NCAA line is only a tiny bit farther out, and range does not appear to be one of Duane's problems. Nor does confidence!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2014, 08:46:45 AM »
+1 

Shot selection may need some work, but what a well-rounded offensive game the kid has!  Can shoot deep and mid-range, can take people off the dribble and get to the rim, and appears to have court vision, though a little early to be sure about that.  Gotta tighten up the handle a little bit, but I am really excited about this kid's future (and his present) at MU.  How could you not be?

Absolutely.  The handle issue could be why Wojo might still be looking at guards at the Juco level.  And I am sure he will have his ups and downs, but he really is showing why he was rated so high.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2014, 09:23:19 AM »
Du.  Let's remember that he is a Frosh and getting his first real collegiate minutes.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2014, 09:29:34 AM »
I thought it was great that Wojo trusted him, kept him in the game and probably even encouraged him to keep shooting.

Shooters gotta shoot.

I think he will develop into a nice all-around PG but it is his shotmaking ability that could make him one of our best players in recent years. The kid hit 52% of his 3s in high school. 52%!!!! The NCAA line is only a tiny bit farther out, and range does not appear to be one of Duane's problems. Nor does confidence!

100% agree with all of this. I love that he didn't get yanked for some of the bombs he took, it's just the nature of being a shooter. Sometimes you miss a few in a row. But you can't let that get to you, need to be thinking the next one you take is going in no doubt. Treating a missed shot as a "mistake" that needs benching can ruin that needed confidence.

Duane's game has scary good potential. He has DJames-type athleticism with shooting range and confidence like Diener. I'm really excited to see his pick & roll/pop action with Ellenson next year.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2014, 09:53:47 AM »
One thing I will say is I absolutely hate when an arena hosts college games with the NBA three point line on the floor. Whether it's confusion or arrogance, I'm not at all a fan of watching kids fire from behind that line. Now if you fire up a shot like Steve did against UConn not because of confusion but just because you were feeling it, fine, but I'm very against that line ever being visible in a sanctioned NCAA game.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2014, 10:00:17 AM »
100% agree with all of this. I love that he didn't get yanked for some of the bombs he took, it's just the nature of being a shooter. Sometimes you miss a few in a row. But you can't let that get to you, need to be thinking the next one you take is going in no doubt. Treating a missed shot as a "mistake" that needs benching can ruin that needed confidence.

Duane's game has scary good potential. He has DJames-type athleticism with shooting range and confidence like Diener. I'm really excited to see his pick & roll/pop action with Ellenson next year.

Nothing worse as a player than being worried about making a mistake, having to look over your shoulder to the scorer's table to see if you are getting yanked.  Had a lot of that going on with Buzz last year.  A HUGE benefit of having a former player as a coach - much better understanding of feel for the game, and knowing you have to let guys (particularly playmakers) play through some mistakes.

Duane has a lot of Swag.  Not doubt the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.  His Dad, Ike, played the same way - and was a very good shooter.  Easy to see where Duane got his form/fundamentals.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2014, 01:10:26 PM »
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2014, 01:13:37 PM »
Nothing worse as a player than being worried about making a mistake, having to look over your shoulder to the scorer's table to see if you are getting yanked.  Had a lot of that going on with Buzz last year.  A HUGE benefit of having a former player as a coach - much better understanding of feel for the game, and knowing you have to let guys (particularly playmakers) play through some mistakes.

Actually, Wojo has done quite a bit of it, too. The difference so far is that Wojo's doghouse has less of a feeling of permanence.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2014, 04:07:31 PM »
He can't have a long term doghouse.   Who else can he put in?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brandx

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2014, 04:27:27 PM »

Shooters gotta shoot.

I read Towers comment and was going to reply with a quick comment - "shooters gotta shoot". You beat me to it.

When shoots are falling - let 'em shoot from anywhere, anytime. Sure, some will be forced, but when they are in the zone as we saw with Carlino and Duane, just keep shooting.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2014, 04:43:59 PM »
Actually, Wojo has done quite a bit of it, too. The difference so far is that Wojo's doghouse has less of a feeling of permanence.

In my opinion, Wojo has done FAR less of the quick hook substitution than has Buzz.  And obviously, guys are being given very long stretches of run so they can get into a nice flow/rhythm.  That whole team last season was mindf$cked - other than Derrick and Jake - and perhaps they even were as they may have wondered why they were playing so much.  As I recall, Derrick told Buzz to keep Dawson on the floor in the G'Town game.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2014, 11:20:28 PM »
He can't have a long term doghouse.   Who else can he put in?

Dawson, for one. Cohen for more than 2 minutes, for another.

feedback