'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Nova game thread (cubed)  (Read 16595 times)

5DollarPitcher

• All American
Re: Nova game thread (cubed)
« Reply #225 on: March 08, 2018, 08:05:43 PM »
Outside of Nova last year, which other top 15 wins did we have in the last 2 years? Was Seton Hall a top 15 this year when we won at home?
Agreed I am having a real tough time recalling the 4...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #226 on: March 08, 2018, 08:06:42 PM »
No, I didn't expect them to beat the best team in the nation, but you know what?? In the grand scheme of things, this game SHOULD have been meaningless..beat PC at home, or beat a terrible DePaul team two weeks ago, and they are safely in the NCAA's..Oh yeah, i forgot, they are YOUNG and that's what young teams do...lose games to terrible teams. My bad.

You just criticized how MU made it into the tourney last year because it wasn't "comfortable."

If we add a Depaul W this year, you realize that's about the same "comfort" level, right?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #227 on: March 08, 2018, 08:07:08 PM »
Outside of Nova last year, which other top 15 wins did we have in the last 2 years? Was Seton Hall a top 15 this year when we won at home?

1/5/16 @ #8 Providence
1/21/17 @ #7 Creighton
1/24/17 vs #1 Villanova
1/8/18 vs #13 Seton Hall

And realizing I was wrong about Wojo having two top 5 wins. I though Providence was #5 when we beat them. Mea culpa
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #228 on: March 08, 2018, 08:07:30 PM »
I did? Go quote my post again. YOU put the number “5” in. I said top teams in the country. Nice job reading English spaz.

That's fair.

Define "top" team then for me.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #229 on: March 08, 2018, 08:07:55 PM »
Im sorry, but why are you being a d-bag?  I just mentioned if Harry s going to be around next year.  Never said anything bad about the kid, just that he didn't play.  Whats wrong with some of you guys?  Really.
Didn't mean to take my anger out on you, I just think that harry has taken way to much sh*t from too many people on here. He's a kid that hasn't yet lived up to expectations. Being there for Andrew shows that he's a good person even if he isn't a great bball player yet. I apologize

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #230 on: March 08, 2018, 08:08:00 PM »
Agreed I am having a real tough time recalling the 4...

@ Creighton 2017
Nova 2017
@ Providence 2016
SHU 2018

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #231 on: March 08, 2018, 08:08:09 PM »
No, I didn't expect them to beat the best team in the nation, but you know what?? In the grand scheme of things, this game SHOULD have been meaningless..beat PC at home, or beat a terrible DePaul team two weeks ago, and they are safely in the NCAA's..Oh yeah, i forgot, they are YOUNG and that's what young teams do...lose games to terrible teams. My bad.
Yup those are tough losses. But that’s called sports. Upsets happen. St. John’s beat Duke and Nova. That’s what makes sports special. You win games you aren’t supposed to and lose games you are supposed to win. You can’t expect to win every single game buddy. But I guess you can and be pissed off the rest of your life. I hope you find a team to route for that never gets upset. We really don’t need any extra fans that are haters

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #232 on: March 08, 2018, 08:08:14 PM »
1/5/16 @ #8 Providence
1/21/17 @ #7 Creighton
1/24/17 vs #1 Villanova
1/8/18 vs #13 Seton Hall

And realizing I was wrong about Wojo having two top 5 wins. I though Providence was #5 when we beat them. Mea culpa
Wojo has sucked against good teams. There I said it.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #233 on: March 08, 2018, 08:09:54 PM »
You just criticized how MU made it into the tourney last year because it wasn't "comfortable."

If we add a Depaul W this year, you realize that's about the same "comfort" level, right?

Sure, but sadly, under Wojo, that seems to be what we have to settle for, be a bubble team, or barely make it in. Sucks, but wait until NEXT year!
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #234 on: March 08, 2018, 08:10:06 PM »
That's fair.

Define "top" team then for me.
Top 15.. Where I set the goalposts from the start. And TAMU already proved me right. The only thing Wojo truly has going for him is the nova win at home where they couldn’t hit an open three if their lives were on the line.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #235 on: March 08, 2018, 08:10:54 PM »
Didn't mean to take my anger out on you, I just think that harry has taken way to much sh*t from too many people on here. He's a kid that hasn't yet lived up to expectations. Being there for Andrew shows that he's a good person even if he isn't a great bball player yet. I apologize

Accepted, but before typing, look at what people write, take a breath, then go. Too many personal attacks here, crazy. 
And yes, Harry wrapping arm around AR was nice gesture, as was the other walk-on next to him. 

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #236 on: March 08, 2018, 08:12:43 PM »
I did? Go quote my post again. YOU put the number “5” in. I said top teams in the country. Nice job reading English spaz.

Hahahahaha, he legititmately changed the quote just to be able argue with you? That is as pathetic as it is funny. Who does that?! Hahaha

muguru

• All American
« Reply #237 on: March 08, 2018, 08:13:54 PM »
Yup those are tough losses. But that’s called sports. Upsets happen. St. John’s beat Duke and Nova. That’s what makes sports special. You win games you aren’t supposed to and lose games you are supposed to win. You can’t expect to win every single game buddy. But I guess you can and be pissed off the rest of your life. I hope you find a team to route for that never gets upset. We really don’t need any extra fans that are haters

Thanks for the advice...not a hater, just HATE losing...way too competitive..at EVERYTHING. fan, worker, whatever, I compete, that's what I do.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #238 on: March 08, 2018, 08:14:34 PM »
Hahahahaha, he legititmately changed the quote just to be able argue with you? That is as pathetic as it is funny. Who does that?! Hahaha
I don’t even know how to change a quote. You Wojo apologists are petty. How can I screenshot proof I didn’t change the post???

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #239 on: March 08, 2018, 08:15:25 PM »
Sure, but sadly, under Wojo, that seems to be what we have to settle for, be a bubble team, or barely make it in. Sucks, but wait until NEXT year!

Honestly, who do you want coaching this team over the next few years?  Who out there is going to give us better results than Wojo?  There are going to be 15-20 high major openings this offseason and only a handful of hot names for replacements.  Wojo has this team close; let's see if he can figure it out like Wright did. 
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #240 on: March 08, 2018, 08:15:36 PM »
1/5/16 @ #8 Providence
1/21/17 @ #7 Creighton
1/24/17 vs #1 Villanova
1/8/18 vs #13 Seton Hall

Thanks. I forgot how good that Creighton win was last year. With the Nova win being the true signature win, it was easy to overlook the other huge win right before it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #241 on: March 08, 2018, 08:15:46 PM »
Wojo has sucked against good teams. There I said it.

So did Buzz (as do most coaches).

Buzz was 1-17 against teams ranked #8 or higher. The one win was the Miami beatdown the Elite 8 year.

He did have three wins against teams ranked #9 (and 1 loss) and 1 win against #10 Villanova in the BET.

Conclusion: Beating top teams is hard.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #242 on: March 08, 2018, 08:17:18 PM »
That doesn't count for the wojo haters because they were missing a player. Nova last year doesn't count for the wojo haters either because of some stupid reason that they'll come up with

Top 15.. Where I set the goalposts from the start. And TAMU already proved me right. The only thing Wojo truly has going for him is the nova win at home where they couldn’t hit an open three if their lives were on the line.
TAMU

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #243 on: March 08, 2018, 08:17:52 PM »

Honestly, I'm not going to look up every result against Top 15 of Wojo and Buzz. But, I doubt, that MU (in the last 20 years) has "routinely" (likely >50% of the time) beaten Top 15 teams. Regardless of the coach.

Now, in regards to the data that was presented (Top 5), 20% vs 30% winning against Top 5 teams. Not a huge chasm

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #244 on: March 08, 2018, 08:19:41 PM »

Honestly made my night so much better. Thank you TAMU

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #245 on: March 08, 2018, 08:19:57 PM »
I don’t even know how to change a quote. You Wojo apologists are petty. How can I screenshot proof I didn’t change the post???

I appreciate skianth's insights on this board and am jealous of his boyish good looks. My wife may even consider naming our next child after him. He is an inspiration to all.

After you hit quote, you can still change the text that's included. Like I just did above.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #246 on: March 08, 2018, 08:20:43 PM »
Thanks for the advice...not a hater, just HATE losing...way too competitive..at EVERYTHING. fan, worker, whatever, I compete, that's what I do.
We are on the same page there. Losing sucks. Being competitive is a great thing. But there need to be realistic expectations.
Being a team like Nova is privilege and should not be taken for granted. What they do is amazing. Would be awesome to be anywhere near that talent level 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #247 on: March 08, 2018, 08:26:38 PM »
Honestly, I'm not going to look up every result against Top 15 of Wojo and Buzz. But, I doubt, that MU (in the last 20 years) has "routinely" (likely >50% of the time) beaten Top 15 teams. Regardless of the coach.

Now, in regards to the data that was presented (Top 5), 20% vs 30% winning against Top 5 teams. Not a huge chasm

I did it for your:

I got

13-29 for Buzz (30.9%)
4-17 for Wojo (19%)

Honestly expected the difference to be greater considering the teams the two coaches had. Also interesting is that Wojo is 3-6 in the last two years. Maybe a sign that things are trending upward.

This is the record against top 15 teams. I didn't look up the records vs top 5 but Wojo would be the winner because Buzz never got a top 5 win.
TAMU

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #248 on: March 08, 2018, 08:28:50 PM »
Fs1 just showed that butler has never won a big East tourney game. 0-4. Imagine how hard it would be hitting the fan if that were us.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #249 on: March 08, 2018, 08:29:38 PM »
I did it for your:

This is the record against top 15 teams. I didn't look up the records vs top 5 but Wojo would be the winner because Buzz never got a top 5 win.

Oh. Thanks.

Stats are fun.

Obviously, Wojo could significantly change if given the same # of attempts as Buzz.

feedback