'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Abdel Nader update  (Read 15273 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Abdel Nader update
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2011, 09:57:14 AM »
Wonder if Crean has his greasy paws in there on this kid?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2011, 11:54:23 AM »
If he goes to La Lumiere prep school, Buzz can open the conversation with "Hey! We have a La Lumiere (Lalumiere) too!"

...and THAT'S how you recruit.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2011, 11:41:14 PM »
I would agree with this 110% were that mathematically possible.  Buzz's strong interest in Mayo, to me, indicates that he's happy with what he'll have (not have, but will have) at the point guard position, much as this will disappoint brewcity.  (I'm not saying you're wrong brewcity, just that it looks to me like Buzz doesn't agree with you.)

If we can get Mayo and a QUALITY big, this year (like God's Gift or Jarion Henry), I say go for it.  Otherwise, I'd bank the schollie like willie warrior suggests.

Count me in the camp of being concerned about PG also unless the Wilson kid develops into a real player or Singleton is more than a typical bench warming walk on.

As much as quality big men are nice and needed to be a really good team, it's hard to be really good with erratic PG play and Junior was the definition of erratic all season.

Hell, Butler will be in their second straight NCAA title game and their best big man is only 6'8, but they have a top notch and clutch point guard.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2011, 09:59:59 AM »
Count me in the camp of being concerned about PG also unless the Wilson kid develops into a real player or Singleton is more than a typical bench warming walk on.

As much as quality big men are nice and needed to be a really good team, it's hard to be really good with erratic PG play and Junior was the definition of erratic all season.

Hell, Butler will be in their second straight NCAA title game and their best big man is only 6'8, but they have a top notch and clutch point guard.

+1 (I'm sure to no one's surprise)

Cadougan should be fine, I think that he's ready to take the reins. I hope Wilson is ready to back up, but it's always dicey to expect quality minutes out of a freshman. I don't expect either DJO or Mayo to play the point, DJO isn't that type of player and from what I've read Mayo tried it but went back to the 2, which is more natural for him. To me, 1 PG and 1 backup is a recipe for disaster. Maybe Buzz expects Blue will be ready to run the offense for 5-15 minutes per night, but if not, I'd like to see another point. Though admittedly, if we added Aaric Murray, I'd be happy with that. But I look at guys like Nader and Henry and it seems like we already have numerous guys like that on our roster. As good as they may be, what makes them different from Jamil Wilson, Jamail Jones, Juan Anderson, Jae Crowder, Jamal Ferguson, and Erik Williams? We have many switchables, I know Buzz likes them, but I don't see the need for another one with our last schollie.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 10:08:31 AM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2011, 10:31:05 AM »
+1 (I'm sure to no one's surprise)

Cadougan should be fine, I think that he's ready to take the reins. I hope Wilson is ready to back up, but it's always dicey to expect quality minutes out of a freshman. I don't expect either DJO or Mayo to play the point, DJO isn't that type of player and from what I've read Mayo tried it but went back to the 2, which is more natural for him. To me, 1 PG and 1 backup is a recipe for disaster. Maybe Buzz expects Blue will be ready to run the offense for 5-15 minutes per night, but if not, I'd like to see another point. Though admittedly, if we added Aaric Murray, I'd be happy with that. But I look at guys like Nader and Henry and it seems like we already have numerous guys like that on our roster. As good as they may be, what makes them different from Jamil Wilson, Jamail Jones, Juan Anderson, Jae Crowder, Jamal Ferguson, and Erik Williams? We have many switchables, I know Buzz likes them, but I don't see the need for another one with our last schollie.
Agreed we will be fine with Cadougan at PG--unless he goes down. Wilson should help, but he is an unknown. I do not agree with Dudearino that cadougan was erratic. Once Williams starting using him and not jerking him out, he performed well. Now, Buycks was erratic.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2011, 10:37:57 AM »
I'm pretty sure Nader is a 2012 prospect, so not really in play for the "last" scholarship we have open for 2011.

To me it is a no-brainer that you add Aaric Murray if you can get him.  He would be far and away the most skilled big man at MU probably since the days of Al - sorry to Jimmy Mac fans..but Murray has far more skills.

Cadougan showed me enough as the season went on to believe he will be fine/team will be fine at PG for next season - and I was one of Junior's harshest critics early in the season.  Singleton, is NOT your typical walk on - and should be able to spell some minutes at the point next year, in addition to Wilson.  Junior probably plays a consistent 30 minutes per game.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2011, 10:53:51 AM »
Agreed we will be fine with Cadougan at PG--unless he goes down. Wilson should help, but he is an unknown. I do not agree with Dudearino that cadougan was erratic. Once Williams starting using him and not jerking him out, he performed well. Now, Buycks was erratic.

That's my biggest fear. Caddy would probably be even more devastating than losing James to injury in 2009. Acker went from averaging 7.5 mpg in Big East play to averaging 30.4 mpg in the last 8 games. He averaged 5.4 ppg and 2.9 apg. Quite a step down from James, who averaged 36.7 mpg, 12.4 ppg, and 5.4 apg in Big East play. I honestly think that had James stayed healthy, we would have won 3 of our last 4 Big East games, probably beaten 'Nova in the Big East tournament, and gone into the tournament 28-6 (15-3) with a share of the Big East title and a likely 1 or 2 seed.

Acker had a couple years of D1 play under his belt, and despite revisionist history after his great senior year, wasn't up to the task of running the team in 2009. I can't imagine having one true point guard, and a freshman at that, would fare any better. I'd rather have options so we could split minutes and have some competition for the spot in case something goes wrong. Even if it means 2 points in the same class, it's better than watching a season with so much promise like 2009 spiral out of control yet again.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2011, 08:52:43 PM »
i'd rather try to stay under the radar a little-grab the table scraps like butler.  first of all, they are hungry to prove the sheshefskees wrong,  hopefully keep them for four years and buzz will mold them in to his kind of guy and his program

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2011, 03:08:25 PM »
Nader made first team all-state from the Chicago Tribune.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2011, 03:13:44 PM »
i'd rather try to stay under the radar a little-grab the table scraps like butler.  first of all, they are hungry to prove the sheshefskees wrong,  hopefully keep them for four years and buzz will mold them in to his kind of guy and his program

Let me suggest, about 48 hours after you made this statement, that you may want to retract this suggestion.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2011, 07:32:28 PM »

Let me suggest, about 48 hours after you made this statement, that you may want to retract this suggestion.

ummm, nope.  i stand by the statement. what am i missing? nothing political, racist, discriminatory, sexual, or religious in nature.  get the butler, bo ryan, shaka players and kick some ass.  plus they'd get a great education.  grab the matt howard types-no need to baby sit them

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2011, 08:36:09 PM »
There is no need to baby sit any of the more highly rated players we have now.  And the Butler and Bo types will always have a ceiling.

And "Shaka players" I think are pretty much exactly the type of players that Buzz wants here.  Long, fast and who can shoot the lights out.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2011, 07:06:12 AM »
There is no need to baby sit any of the more highly rated players we have now.  And the Butler and Bo types will always have a ceiling.

And "Shaka players" I think are pretty much exactly the type of players that Buzz wants here.  Long, fast and who can shoot the lights out.
you have been reading the posts the past couple of weeks. right?  yeah, i saw the ceiling for butler the last two years-it's called champinship games. and four years of college eligibility. have yu seen bo's win/loss percentage with or without platteville or uwm.?  i don't mind juco transfers with 3 years eligibity.  i haven't researched what their players were ranked coming out of high school however

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2011, 08:01:10 AM »
Yeah and you saw what happened to Butler yesterday...without their star player from last year who is actually adapting to the NBA quite nicely and will have a long career there.

But you stated that we need to grab the Matt Howard types because "there is no need to babysit them."  First of all, Matt Howard types are good because he is a good player.  Second, why do you think we need to babysit our current players?  There is nothing wrong with the quality of the players that Buzz has brought here.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2011, 09:17:12 AM »
Just for the record Howard had some High Major offer's he just decided to chose Butler.  So he is a slighlty better recruit then normally goes.  There top player last year was going to purdue and they ended up without a extra spot for him.  Skeen was a transer from Wake on VCU.  If you take out the guys that were recruited as High Major's they are not really very good. Recruiting is more important then coaching in College.  Keep Bringing in Talent, some guys will leave if they don't get playing time.  Some player's will improve quicker then expected such as Gardner some won't.