Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Abdel Nader update  (Read 15303 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Abdel Nader update
« on: March 08, 2011, 12:50:39 PM »
Looks like MU is pretty serious about this kid. And if he would really be the #1 player in Illinois next year, that's probably a good thing.

From the Bullseye Bros.
http://www.ilprepbullseye.com/Nader_Update.html

Ever since recently decommitting from the University Of New Mexico and reclassifying as a 2012 recruit, Abdel Nader has been playing as well as any high school basketball player in Illinois.  It is for that reason, along with the enormous amount of natural talent that he possesses that the 6'7 forward from Niles North High School in Skokie, IL has become a huge recruiting priority for several high major programs.

Nader turned in yet another outstanding performance last night in the Class 4A regional final at Glenbrook North High School in Northbrook, IL leading Niles North to a 69-65 victory over the host school.  He finished the game with a double-double, as he recorded 36 points along with 11 rebounds.  Niles North now advances to the Class 4A sectional at New Trier High School in Winnetka, IL where they will take on Niles Notre Dame next Tuesday night.

From the time that Nader announced that he has re-opened his recruitment he has picked up scholarship offers from DePaul University, Marquette University and the University Of Mississippi and has drawn strong interest from plenty of others.  Not only that, but Nader continues to attract a number of college coaches to his games.  Marquette head coach Buzz Williams was in attendance to watch Nader in Niles North's 4A regional win over Lake Park last Tuesday night, with Rhode Island also being present.

Now that he is a member of the class of 2012, Nader will head to a prep school next season.  Which prep school Nader will choose is still up in the air, although one of the leading candidates is La Lumiere in LaPorte, IN.  If Nader were to be playing high school basketball in Illinois next season, he would rank as our #1 player in the state from the 2012 class.

JWags85

• All American
Re: Abdel Nader update
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 01:02:07 PM »
I know you can't judge it by offers, but the other schools in on him don't exactly wow me.  But he is Buzz's kind of player, so we'll see

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 01:08:41 PM »
I know you can't judge it by offers, but the other schools in on him don't exactly wow me.  But he is Buzz's kind of player, so we'll see

I think that you will see that change.  His reclassification to 2012, and his decommitment from New Mexico are recent.  But, I got to agree that ultimately what matters is: "Is he Buzz's kind of player?"

Thanks for the update Pakuni.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 01:10:04 PM »
Would love to get an Illinois kid on the roster....not sure why ESPN isn't so high on him

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/110570

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 01:13:14 PM »
We don't need another 2012 switchable unless someone transfers. We have 3 openings the next two years. I think our priorities should be PG, big, SG in that order. With Wilson, Jones, Anderson, and Ferguson already in the fold, Nader really doesn't seem to match our needs, unless he's a 5-star, top 15 type talent.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 01:15:20 PM »

From all reports I've seen, he's more of a "traditional" player, a shooter moreso than a slasher.

For what it's worth, his high school coach says he's also been hearing from Michigan State and Louisville.

MUcookie30

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 01:55:58 PM »
I have been looking up info on Nader lately and just came across this thread on the new mexico (where Nader decomitted from) board.  Its actually a thread that began talking about Jarion Henry but then Nader was brought up.  Apparently one of the posters says that on a chicago radio show they said its a done deal that Nader is coming to Marquette.  Perhaps not credible but interesting at least.

http://thelobolair.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26775

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 02:02:45 PM »
Would love to get an Illinois kid on the roster....not sure why ESPN isn't so high on him

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/110570

He's had a much better than expected senior year.  I doubt his ranking has been updated since before the season.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 02:13:29 PM »
We don't need another 2012 switchable unless someone transfers. We have 3 openings the next two years. I think our priorities should be PG, big, SG in that order. With Wilson, Jones, Anderson, and Ferguson already in the fold, Nader really doesn't seem to match our needs, unless he's a 5-star, top 15 type talent.

Well known Buzzism: "You never stop recruiting."  We're still a month or so away from the spring recruiting period, and when we get there, we all know that the "who is going" threads will start.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 02:29:03 PM »
Apparently he was not that highly regarded coming into this year, but has been coming on like gangbusters past few months. If Bullseye says he would be their #1 rated player in Illinois next year, then he is definitely worth trying to get.

Here is the problem: if we sign two kids this spring we only have 1 scolarship to offer next year. It could be used for Nader, but then we have none left for Nolan or another big, and we definitely need to get a big. If we take Mayo this year, then the last scholly needs to be banked so we can get a big next year. All the more reason we need to get a decent big this year--just don't know if there are any good ones left.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 02:42:39 PM »
Willie, you are exactly right.  This is why the coaches have to make the right decision when there
are so few free rides to give.  In MU's case, they really have to take what they can get.  MU is not
North Carolina, etc., sure you want to plug in the holes but sometimes it is impossible.  The state of Wisconsin
only has 1 player or 2 good enough to compete at BE level each year.  So MU has to look elsewhere, not easy.  Buzz
wants kids who want to be at MU, MU is no garden party, city school.  Then it comes down to playing time,
every kid wants that.  Easier to recruit when you can almost promise playing time, ask Steve Lavin, he just signed
7 or 8 kids for next year, 9 seniors.  I will bet what ever you want that those kids do not stay at St. Johns there
the whole 4 years?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 02:43:24 PM »
Apparently he was not that highly regarded coming into this year, but has been coming on like gangbusters past few months. If Bullseye says he would be their #1 rated player in Illinois next year, then he is definitely worth trying to get.

Here is the problem: if we sign two kids this spring we only have 1 scolarship to offer next year. It could be used for Nader, but then we have none left for Nolan or another big, and we definitely need to get a big. If we take Mayo this year, then the last scholly needs to be banked so we can get a big next year. All the more reason we need to get a decent big this year--just don't know if there are any good ones left.

I would agree with this 110% were that mathematically possible.  Buzz's strong interest in Mayo, to me, indicates that he's happy with what he'll have (not have, but will have) at the point guard position, much as this will disappoint brewcity.  (I'm not saying you're wrong brewcity, just that it looks to me like Buzz doesn't agree with you.)

If we can get Mayo and a QUALITY big, this year (like God's Gift or Jarion Henry), I say go for it.  Otherwise, I'd bank the schollie like willie warrior suggests.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 02:48:19 PM by LittleMurs »

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 02:47:30 PM »
Willie, you are exactly right.  This is why the coaches have to make the right decision when there
are so few free rides to give.  In MU's case, they really have to take what they can get.  MU is not
North Carolina, etc., sure you want to plug in the holes but sometimes it is impossible.  The state of Wisconsin
only has 1 player or 2 good enough to compete at BE level each year.  So MU has to look elsewhere, not easy.  Buzz
wants kids who want to be at MU, MU is no garden party, city school.  Then it comes down to playing time,
every kid wants that.  Easier to recruit when you can almost promise playing time, ask Steve Lavin, he just signed
7 or 8 kids for next year, 9 seniors.  I will bet what ever you want that those kids do not stay at St. Johns there
the whole 4 years
?

Lavin has actually signed NINE players for next year.  One is a JUCO guard.  The other eight will be freshmen, including six who made ESPN's top 100.  So, there's no question there will be transfers, only how many and which ones.

Correction: Lavin has signed seven seniors, but has a verbal from an eighth player.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 02:51:40 PM by LittleMurs »

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 03:25:46 PM »
We need dominant players who can play to win in the Big East.  This conference is so tough that we need to recruit players that can compete against the best and win.  We need a great point guard; we need great shooters and we need great bigs.  The bar is set high, we need to recruit the best.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 03:49:02 PM »
Looks like MU is pretty serious about this kid. And if he would really be the #1 player in Illinois next year, that's probably a good thing.

From the Bullseye Bros.
http://www.ilprepbullseye.com/Nader_Update.html

If Nader were to be playing high school basketball in Illinois next season, he would rank as our #1 player in the state from the 2012 class.[/i]

The two things to take from this...

1) Bullsye Bros know Illinois basketball
2) If they say this kid would rank as #1 2012 player in Illinois, he's gonna be a big time stud and many, many more high level schools will be after him

Nice to see we were on him early and I hope Buzz can land this dude!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 03:52:44 PM »
Sure hope no one accuses Buzz of continuing to recruit this cat after he verballed to New Mexico.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 04:21:11 PM »
I have been looking up info on Nader lately and just came across this thread on the new mexico (where Nader decomitted from) board.  Its actually a thread that began talking about Jarion Henry but then Nader was brought up.  Apparently one of the posters says that on a chicago radio show they said its a done deal that Nader is coming to Marquette.  Perhaps not credible but interesting at least.

http://thelobolair.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26775

Uh-oh A decommit and Buzz with the inside track.  I hope this doesn't make Chicos squirm. :o

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 04:37:16 PM »
Uh-oh A decommit and Buzz with the inside track.  I hope this doesn't make Chicos squirm. :o

Who's not coming?  Who is getting shown the door?  Warthog...where are you?   ;)

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 04:56:56 PM »
slightly related...

with the talk about limited scholarships available being brought up, i had a question to the more knowledgeable/experienced college bball folks:

sort of like the NFL draft.. is there any philosophy to recruiting the best available player, rather than a player of need, in college bball? (kinda like taking best available on a draft board). for example, lets say Nader is going to be more talented and potentially better than any big or PG we could get right now for 2012; wouldn't it be better to take him than a lower tier player just to fill a need?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 05:15:21 PM by socrplar125 »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 05:05:30 PM »
slightly related...

with the talk about limited scholarships available being brought up, i had a question to the more knowledgeable/experienced college bball folks:

sort of like the NFL draft.. is there anything philosophy to recruiting the best available player, rather than a player of need, in college bball? (kinda like taking best available on a draft board). for example, lets say Nader is going to be more talented and potentially better than any big or PG we could get right now for 2012; wouldn't it be better to take him than a lower tier player just to fill a need?

To a point, I agree. Obviously you wouldn't want to overload your rosterat a couple of positions to the detriment of all others, but if you have a chance at a high-quality recruit, you don't pass him to take a project big because "you need bigs."

As for the scholarship situation/openings that's been discussed, when was the last time MU went a year without a transfer? For better or worse, chances are that by the time the time next year rolls around, MU is going to have more scholarships to give than we think.

Jay Bee

• All American
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 09:25:03 AM »
Abdul Nader went to my Alma Matter.

Saw him play against Warren in the supersectional and he was impressive.  Has great length, and a good shot.  Would love to land Nader.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2011, 09:29:01 AM »
From all reports I've seen, he's more of a "traditional" player, a shooter moreso than a slasher.

For what it's worth, his high school coach says he's also been hearing from Michigan State and Louisville.

Completely disagree he is more of a switchable than a shooter type

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2011, 09:33:36 AM »
I was at the Warren/NilesNorth game too (in the Warren section).  The kid can play.  Has a sweet outside shot and was pretty good at getting to the rim too.  By the end of the game when his team was down 5, 6 ,7, 8 points Nader pretty much just took the ball and ran an iso play everytime, most of which ended in poorly executed threes. Nader is a great player (and probably more talented than the other potential MU guy in the game, Warren's Darius Paul) but he seemed a little selfish on the court.  going to prep school where he will be surrounded by other good players will help him to learn he doesnt have to do everything.  

I'd take him, and since my Blue Devils won that game and went to state, I dont hold a grudge.  Ask me about Jon Scheyer, and its a different story.