'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What does it take for us to get a 2 seed?  (Read 6092 times)

Coleman

• All American
What does it take for us to get a 2 seed?
« on: February 22, 2023, 02:02:07 PM »
I think after last night's win we are one of the best 4s/worst 3s (right around 12/13 on the S Curve). I think if we win out the regular season, we are a solid 3. For the sake of argument, let's assume that happens and we fly out to the BET sitting at 25-6 (17-3) and a projected 3 seed.

The question is, is there anything we can do at the BET to get us to a 2? Is it already out of reach? Do we have to win the whole thing? Would going 2-1 and making the final be enough?

I think we have to win out and be 28-6 to have a shot at the 2. But your thoughts are welcome.

marqfan22

• Team Captain
Re: What does it take for us to get a 2 seed?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 03:17:21 PM »
I think winning out would make us a 2 seed. Regular season and tournament champs would have to be given a 2.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 03:19:57 PM »
I think we are 10/11 on the S Curve right now. Solid 3

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 03:22:57 PM »
Winning out in the regular season and BET, and 2+ regular season losses by UVA, Baylor and Kansas State, for a start.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 04:03:25 PM »
Prayer.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 04:08:31 PM »
Hope yall are ready to hold your nose and root for BC tonight.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 04:18:41 PM »
We need help….its not just about us. The only way we jump teams between ~7-10 is if they lose and we win.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 05:34:59 PM »

Rooting against Virginia is something I do 31 plus times a year. Rodents East.
GO WARRIORS!

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 05:35:28 PM »
Marquette would be very unfortunate to not get to the 2 seed if they win out (regular season and BET).

In the initial release, Marquette was #14. We need to jump 6 teams.

Lots of scenarios, but also lots of chances for other teams to lose games, even multiple games. If we win out and are outright Big East Champs and BET champs, it would be really difficult for us to lose out.

Really, we want none of the teams in slots 5-13 to win their tournament, and we want them to lose any games they have against teams in slots 1-4.

I ran through a lot of scenarios. It’s very likely at least 4-5 teams ahead of us will have lost 2x since then first top 16 reveal (Indiana and Baylor are already halfway there with recent losses). No way we wouldn’t jump those teams if we win out.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2023, 05:52:39 PM »
We need someone to beat UConn in 4/5 game in the BET for starters.  That team in MSG will be very difficult for us to beat.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2023, 06:06:52 PM »
2 is a very long shot. We have no more games that will move the needle positively and most of the teams above us don't have many games that will move the needle negatively. We are counting on really good teams to lose to bad teams or lose out
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2023, 06:37:10 PM »
We need someone to beat UConn in 4/5 game in the BET for starters.  That team in MSG will be very difficult for us to beat.

So we need Providence to win tonight and for Seton Hall to get hot.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2023, 06:46:56 PM »
I’d happily take a 3 seed …

And, I agree that MU is a solid 3 right now.  Solid 3.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2023, 06:48:21 PM »
BC up 7 at half.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2023, 07:13:32 PM »
2 is a very long shot. We have no more games that will move the needle positively and most of the teams above us don't have many games that will move the needle negatively. We are counting on really good teams to lose to bad teams or lose out

We could have 2 move the need in BET though.

Thats where people are talking 2 seed. In the improbable event we enter selection Sunday 28-6
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2023, 07:31:03 PM »
Baylor has lost twice now since the reveal. No way are they ahead of us anymore. Tennessee lost again and will be behind us and when Virginia loses tonight we will pass them as well. We very well could be the top 3 seed after this weekend if we win vs DePaul.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2023, 07:32:40 PM »
I think it really comes down to who doesn’t win the pac 12. I can’t see both Arizona and UCLA on the 2 line which how bad that conference is.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2023, 07:33:36 PM »
Let’s go BC. Currently up 12

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2023, 08:35:36 PM »

My Charlottesville friends will never, ever know how much I enjoyed UVA getting stomped by lowly BC tonight. Otherwise, I'm happy for them although I find their team boring.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2023, 09:11:27 PM »
We could have 2 move the need in BET though.

Thats where people are talking 2 seed. In the improbable event we enter selection Sunday 28-6

I don't think BET wins move the needle.

Baylor has lost twice now since the reveal. No way are they ahead of us anymore. Tennessee lost again and will be behind us and when Virginia loses tonight we will pass them as well. We very well could be the top 3 seed after this weekend if we win vs DePaul.

I can almost guarantee that Baylor is still ahead of us. They were 7 spots above us in the reveal and while they have lost twice they were road wins against a projected 1 seed and a projected 3 seed. They won't be dinged harshly for either. I do think we are in striking distance though.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2023, 09:54:19 PM »
UVA is 34 in KenPom. If we win out, which would include neutral wins most likely against UCONN and then Xavier or Creighton, and they’re a 2 above us…

28-6, BE outright regular season and BET champs, winners of 11 straight, and probably 8 in KenPom if that’s how it plays out. That’s a 2 seed.

Hopefully we find out.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Carl

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2023, 10:34:16 PM »

Not sure if I agree with this. If we win out in the reg season, and meet UConn in the semis, I don’t think a loss drops us off the 2 line. BUT, I think a win and subsequent finals win over a top team might move the needle enough to move us up to the 2 line, provided some other dominoes fall our way. Winning games against mid/lower tier teams does not help us in any way

1SE

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2023, 12:39:53 AM »
UVA is 34 in KenPom. If we win out, which would include neutral wins most likely against UCONN and then Xavier or Creighton, and they’re a 2 above us…

28-6, BE outright regular season and BET champs, winners of 11 straight, and probably 8 in KenPom if that’s how it plays out. That’s a 2 seed.

Hopefully we find out.

Yeah - since 3 of the teams ahead of us are guaranteed one more loss you think we'd be close - but it kind of depends on who takes those Ls.

It seems we're mostly trending into a 3 lock category assuming we take care of business in the next four - do that and come w a result anything other that BET title (lose semi or final) and I think we're a 3
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 12:47:10 AM by 1SE »
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

1SE

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2023, 12:46:03 AM »
Not sure if I agree with this. If we win out in the reg season, and meet UConn in the semis, I don’t think a loss drops us off the 2 line. BUT, I think a win and subsequent finals win over a top team might move the needle enough to move us up to the 2 line, provided some other dominoes fall our way. Winning games against mid/lower tier teams does not help us in any way

Eh, I don't think it makes much difference either way - any of X, PC, UCONN and CU will be tough in the garden and a W or L against any does the same thing for our resume.

Real Warriors Demand Excellence

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2023, 05:13:06 AM »
I think it’s important to remember the challenges the Selection Committee can have placing teams in the bracket while following certain guidelines, especially those that require separation of teams from the same conference so they don’t meet too early. That can be one reason why there isn’t too much movement based on conference tournament results.

This year there are going to be challenges created by having 4 or 5 Big 12 teams and 4 Big East in the top 4-5 seed lines. It is inevitable that teams will not be placed precisely as they would if the seed list established by the Committee were followed strictly in an S curve. In some cases a team might be placed in a different seed line.

Because of that, I don’t think it’s worth devoting too much energy to movements of one or two places on the seed list. The competitive advantage between being number 8 or number 9 on the seed list is insignificant.