* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by THRILLHO
[May 18, 2024, 09:50:17 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Crean says DJ will enter draft  (Read 13378 times)

MonsterWebWarrior

• Starter
"We need to get back to eating hamburgers."  - Buzz Williams

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Crean says DJ will enter draft
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 09:10:48 PM »
Somehow, this does not worry me.

Marquette Golden Eagles sophomore guard Dominic James will likely make himself eligible for the upcoming National Basketball Association draft, coach Tom Crean said on Monday night.

"The decision to declare will be very soon, and I would say from all accounts he's leaning in that direction," he said. "And I totally understand that and am very supportive of it. I feel we've done all the due diligence we need to do and now it's time to see where this process takes him."

The 5-foot-11 James is not expected to hire an agent, thus preserving his college eligibility should he not get the feedback he's looking for in the coming weeks. He said recently that he would remain in the draft only if he were to receive a guarantee he'd be selected in the first round.

James has until Sunday night to officially announce his intention to enter the draft and until June 18 to withdraw his name, should he choose to do so.

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 09:20:04 PM »
It seems like a good move to me. Test the waters, get some feedback, and then come back to Milwaukee and get ready for a huge, huge junior year. And hey, if he finds out some team wants to draft him in the mid-first round, I will wish him nothing but the best of luck in the next stage of his career. DJ is a good guy with a good head on his shoulders. He will make the right decision after the camps and Tom Crean will be there to help him along.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 11:03:47 PM »
do you think he will get more PT than Novak and Diener?
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 06:41:21 AM »
do you think he will get more PT than Novak and Diener?
That's the thing, if you want to go go but don't go just to ride the pine and disappear after 2 or 3 years.  Right now I think he'd get more playing time than Novak does and if he does go and develops like many think his potential can be then he'll get plenty of playing time down the road but this isn't the NFL and you can't sit around and develop on a pro team for 2 years and expect to become an all-star...that's what the NBDL and Europe are for.  Either way if he goes I wish him the best if not I'll be happy to have another 1st Team Big East 2 yr starter back to a top 25 team.

DAtruth

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 08:17:28 AM »
riding the pine or not, if he can get a guaranted deal its a great move for him...how long did it take you to earn 3-4 million$ after you got your degree? 3 million richer i dont care if i have to go back to school..which i would..and eventually play overseas somewhere..tooo much money to pass on

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 09:08:24 AM »
The one thing that concerns me is if during the camps, DJ hears he'll be drafted, even if it is 2nd round and would certainly make a roster for league Minimum.

That's $427k in year one, even if you do ride the pine.  Chances are, he'd get a 2nd year.   That's $711k.  Presto.  You're set for life, if you don't pimp your Escalade every year.

Eek out one more year for $829k.  Nice minimum wage if you can get it.

http://www.insidehoops.com/minimum-nba-salary.shtml

So, sure, he could wait a year, double his income.  But that non-doubled income is pretty sweet.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 09:59:49 AM »
riding the pine or not, if he can get a guaranted deal its a great move for him...how long did it take you to earn 3-4 million$ after you got your degree? 3 million richer i dont care if i have to go back to school..which i would..and eventually play overseas somewhere..tooo much money to pass on

So you're saying that DJ would be happy to be "role-player" or some "used to be" in Germany over being a contributor in the NBA?  I don't think so, he seems pretty enthralled by his own press clippings.  I'm not saying that money is the issue, he'll be set whenever he leaves but whether or not he becomes a solid player or not should be what weighs in on his decision and I don't think he'd be happy with being a PG in the Euro leagues.

bartmiller#1

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 10:20:02 AM »
How are you set for life on $700k? 

Especially when you're providing for your family.

A lot of assumptions-- if he's drafted in the second round, he isn't guaranteed any money.  He could be cut after training camp and the team that picked him doesn't owe him anything. 

If he comes back to school and improves his shooting and decisionmaking, he could be a lottery pick. 

Then he's closer to set for life. 

Of course, he could come back and not improve his stock, but he wouldn't be worse off (or much worse off) than he likely is right now. 

I think he'll go, stay in the draft, and get picked in the 2nd round.

If he shoots below 30% in the summer league, I think he will get cut. 

Just my two cents, but it's a dangerous game to play unless you know for sure you're going in the top 15. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 10:29:58 AM »
I agree, I don't think he'd be set for life. Sure, $700k is outstanding money, if you are living in a nice suburb, driving a Volvo and going to your summer home in Michigan for Memorial Day weekend.

This is the NBA though, and right or wrong, $700k doesn't mean as much. Having worked in an NBA front office, and heck, just being a fan, I can tell you that it is all about cred with these guys. Two years of $1 million is outstanding for everyone on this board (I'm guessing), but for 90% of NBA players, it's not going to get you far.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 10:46:08 AM »
Yes.  Set for life.  My assumptions were 2nd round, and high chance he'd get a contract, and high chance he'd play at least 2 years.  Two years is 427+711 = 1.14m. 

Just eek out 8% returns on $1.14m, and you've got $91k per year to live off of.  For a single guy?  That's plenty of money for us "normal" people.  (It's a good guess to assume the James family has probably been living on less their entire life.)

Even if you do bring taxes into the equation.  Plenty of money to live better than about 85% of the US.

Now, sure, if you want a new Escalade every year, then maybe not.  Cry me a river.  Actually, on $91k/year, you could get a new one every year.  Just not the million dollar mansion.

(Question:  Anyone know where to look to find out how many 2nd rounders did NOT get on the roster? Seems like that always comes up, but both of MU's 2nd round pine riders got contracts.  Maybe the last 10 guys are more in danger?)

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 10:48:02 AM »
The one thing that concerns me is if during the camps, DJ hears he'll be drafted, even if it is 2nd round and would certainly make a roster for league Minimum.

That's $427k in year one, even if you do ride the pine.  Chances are, he'd get a 2nd year.   That's $711k.  Presto.  You're set for life, if you don't pimp your Escalade every year.

Eek out one more year for $829k.  Nice minimum wage if you can get it.

http://www.insidehoops.com/minimum-nba-salary.shtml

So, sure, he could wait a year, double his income.  But that non-doubled income is pretty sweet.

You also forgot about the royalty money that each player gets. It's in 6 figures EVERY YEAR. And you continue to collect it for years like a pension.
We Are Marquette

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 10:49:34 AM »
Yes.  Set for life.  My assumptions were 2nd round, and high chance he'd get a contract, and high chance he'd play at least 2 years.  Two years is 427+711 = 1.14m. 

Just eek out 8% returns on $1.14m, and you've got $91k per year to live off of.  For a single guy?  That's plenty of money for us "normal" people.  (It's a good guess to assume the James family has probably been living on less their entire life.)

Even if you do bring taxes into the equation.  Plenty of money to live better than about 85% of the US.

Now, sure, if you want a new Escalade every year, then maybe not.  Cry me a river.  Actually, on $91k/year, you could get a new one every year.  Just not the million dollar mansion.

(Question:  Anyone know where to look to find out how many 2nd rounders did NOT get on the roster? Seems like that always comes up, but both of MU's 2nd round pine riders got contracts.  Maybe the last 10 guys are more in danger?)

Yes, he would be set for life if he doesn't pay taxes, his agent, have kids or buy a house.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 11:08:04 AM »
Ah.  I see.  So all those people in the US making $91k/year don't have houses or kids? uh-huh.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 11:10:55 AM »
I predict he will put his name in, get some experience, and then withdraw from the draft when he has to.  This years draft is absolutely STOCKED, there are a ton of studs at every position.  I think this years draft is arguably the best top to botton of this decade.....yes the top 6 in 2003 was the best top 6 but the overall draft class fell off after that.  This years class looks to be just huge.

So even if DJ comes back for another year and doesn't improve, he is likely to have his stock improve next year simply because there won't be as much talent there as this year.  I think its relatively safe to say with the way next years talent looks if he stays and returns to his freshmen year form he goes top 10 next year.  Thats a change of 4 million dollars a year over going second round this year.  Just makes too much sense for him to get experience in the draft process then come back for next year.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 11:30:51 AM »
Hilltopper, I understand your point, and completely agree with you. I'm telling you though, having worked in the NBA and having worked with and talked to NBA players, they don't think that way. Believe it or not, a few of these guys not making mega contracts were living paycheck to paycheck because they couldn't handle the new amount of wealth coming in.

I have no insight into James, his background and anything like that, so he could be set on the league minimum. For about 10% of the league, this is fine, and they make an absolutely ideal living from it. You can have an outstanding career and lifestyle if you can play your way through the NBA off this. However, the mindest of 90% of players is all about their second contract. This is the contract that sets them, their kids, their kids' kids for life.

From where I sit, option A (league minimum for a few years and then out of the league with $1 million in the bank) or option B (mid 1st round rookie contract, decent player, $4 million in the bank, with chance to make $20 million in the next contract) both sound great to me. For a guy like DJ, this is where he has to decide what's best for him and his family.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 12:13:38 PM by MUDish »

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 11:58:49 AM »
you can't sit around and develop on a pro team for 2 years and expect to become an all-star...that's what the NBDL and Europe are for. 

totally not true.  perennial all-stars jermaine o'neal and t-mac both rode the pine for 2-3 years before breaking through.  not the norm, but possible...

bartmiller#1

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 12:47:26 PM »
You don't get royalty or pension money after being drafted.  You have to play for a number of years to qualify for that money, as far as I understand.

You have to pay taxes on your salary.  If you're like DJ, you are also providing for your family, you will never have the full salary of the contract to earn your 8%. 

You don't get a lump sum to invest at the outset of the contract. 

My more general point is that DJ would be better-served by coming back to school and improving his game-- and his chances to get the bigger, guaranteed deals that come in the early first round.  Then he will be set for life. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 12:49:30 PM »
Dish:  I do agree with you.   There's no doubt there's the existence of two realities, that of normal humanity, and that of the über wealthy, where the idea of what is "comfortable" is in disagreement.

One tends to think that Novak and Diener still fit in around the family table pretty well, despite the fact they probably have a net worth double their family's.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 01:22:50 PM »
Ah.  I see.  So all those people in the US making $91k/year don't have houses or kids? uh-huh.

He won't be making 91K a year.  Where are you getting that from?  By adding up his two year pay and saying that's what he'll have in the bank? 

If he has 100K in the bank after his first year I would be amazed.  Are you still in school?
Lets say his take home pay after taxes and after his agent (10%?) and after his trainer and any other of the cost we don't know about that involve getting ready for the nba draft get added up his take home pay will probably be about half his salary.  We'll say 215.
His mom lives in the ghetto i'm pretty sure he'll want to get her out of there, we'll say that's an additional cost of 30K.
He wants to buy a car... Pretty sure he wouldn't be happy with a saturn.  we'll say 40K.  I think that's being VERY modest
Oh, he hasn't even gotten a pad for him and mom yet.  We'll assume he'll rent and puts 1,200 a month into it.
Plazma TV 2K
Some going out bling 5K
car for mom, 20
clothes, nba players have to get suited up and you know james will want to look good. 4k
we haven't coverd, clubbing expenses, girlfriend costs, vaction costs, food, his nintendo wii, a sound system for the plazma tv, furnature for where he's living, plain tickets for having some old highschool friends visit. 

But never mind all that i'm sure you are correct and all 2nd round picks in the NBA have 1.4 mil in the bank after their 2nd season.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 01:27:10 PM by RawdogDX »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2007, 01:32:58 PM »

He won't be making 91K a year.  Where are you getting that from?  By adding up his two year pay and saying that's what he'll have in the bank? 

If he has 100K in the bank after his first year I would be amazed.  Are you still in school?
Lets say his take home pay after taxes and after his agent (10%?) and after his trainer and any other of the cost we don't know about that involve getting ready for the nba draft get added up his take home pay will probably be about half his salary.  We'll say 215.
His mom lives in the ghetto i'm pretty sure he'll want to get her out of there, we'll say that's an additional cost of 30K.
He wants to buy a car... Pretty sure he wouldn't be happy with a saturn.  we'll say 40K.  I think that's being VERY modest
Oh, he hasn't even gotten a pad for him and mom yet.  We'll assume he'll rent and puts 1,200 a month into it.
Plazma TV 2K
Some going out bling 5K
car for mom, 20
clothes, nba players have to get suited up and you know james will want to look good. 4k
we haven't coverd, clubbing expenses, girlfriend costs, vaction costs, food, his nintendo wii, a sound system for the plazma tv, furnature for where he's living, plain tickets for having some old highschool friends visit. 

But never mind all that i'm sure you are correct and all 2nd round picks in the NBA have 1.4 mil in the bank after their 2nd season.

Dude, you have spent too much time watching MTV cribs.

Just because he is young doesn't mean he is going to need "ice" and plasma tv's everywhere.

Give the kid a break.

I understand that he will probably purchase some nice things because he will be making good money, but you spit out so many stereotypes there I can hardly type right now.

Maybe he will invest all of it... who the hell knows???

And does DJ's mom really live in the ghetto? I don't know if I have heard that before. It could be true, but I've just never heard that.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2007, 02:32:29 PM »
If you're going to spout about his possible salary don't forget that the NBA per diem is effing ridiculous. These guys don't even have to bring their own money on a road trip and if they don't blow it on drinking they can go home from every trip with anywhere from $800-$1500. Hell, bank that and let it sit gathering interest and you could pull another couple years off his time in the NBA.

It's a business as well as a talent.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2007, 02:36:33 PM »
And we all know how great of businessmen/investors pro athletes are...

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2007, 03:13:36 PM »
Novak bought an 80K Mercedes.  I'm sure DJ will buy one of those too.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 03:26:10 PM by marqfan22 »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 03:55:21 PM »
And we all know how great of businessmen/investors pro athletes are...

I know I know...

but people are making a lot of assumptions about a college soph. and his lifestyle.

Give the kid a break. Maybe he will buy a bunch of expensive stuff... maybe he won't. I don't know because I don't know DJ. Maybe he will donate 1/2 of it to his church... who knows???

People make assumptions about people they don't even know because they watch MTV, or BET, or SPIKE TV, or whatever.