Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: WBBY Shootout  (Read 21409 times)

jsheim

Re: WBBY Shootout
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2014, 08:40:21 PM »
Leaving...we'll be fine next year.

Note, 24 for germantown has some game...if hes not a senior, could do something.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2014, 08:44:18 PM »
Leaving...we'll be fine next year.

Note, 24 for germantown has some game...if hes not a senior, could do something.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2014, 09:10:11 PM »
Mark Miller
‏@WisBBYearbook
Final from WBY Shootout, Germantown 67, Neenah 63. Matt Heldt with 28 for Neenah. Juwan McCloud with 16 for Germantown.

Mark Miller
‏@WisBBYearbook
Henry Ellenson finished with 24 points for Rice Lake in its 43-42 loss to Tosa West. Alou Dillon had 17 and Andre Carroll 14 for the Trojans

Steve Wojciechowski
‏@steve_wojo
Happy to be able to watch @HENBA13 & @HeldtMatt online in between film sessions tonight. #mubb #8Strong
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2014, 09:20:39 PM »
Don't see Phillip Flory as a high major kid.  Not athletic enough or good enough shooter.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2014, 09:37:55 PM »
Who's Flory playing with again?

I was pleasantly surprised at Heldt's post play.  I thought he would float around on the perimeter more but he didn't.  He's got a lot of size to him.

Hank is as good as advertised.  Hit some really tough shots and is smooth with the ball.  When he has anybody who has a clue how to play basketball next to him he'll be fun to watch.

Wasn't impressed with individual players on Germantown.  24 could do something...on UW Whitewater.

Neenah's point guard was the best high school player on the floor.  Heldt obviously the best college prospect.  Neenah's point guard unfortunately is too short to do anything at the next level, but that guy has some court awareness and is 3 steps ahead of everyone else on the court.  Crafty kid.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2014, 09:40:16 PM »
Oshkosh North

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2014, 09:42:37 PM »
Don't see Phillip Flory as a high major kid.  Not athletic enough or good enough shooter.
Have agreed with this assessment for a long time. For his sake I am happy he decommitted. Hope his team does well the next few years and he finds a good home at low major where he can have some fun.

NBBomber

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2014, 10:15:27 PM »
Thought Matt looked about to 6-9 and Henry looked closer to 6-11.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2014, 10:30:41 PM »
Mark Miller
‏@WisBBYearbook
Matt Heldt went over 1,000 points tonight in Neenah's 67-63 loss to Germantown. He finished with 28 points and 12 rebounds.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2014, 10:54:01 PM »
Thought Matt looked about to 6-9 and Henry looked closer to 6-11.

Looked about the same size and length to me.  Heldt a little wider.  6-10 at least.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2014, 11:01:23 PM »
Have agreed with this assessment for a long time. For his sake I am happy he decommitted. Hope his team does well the next few years and he finds a good home at low major where he can have some fun.

Flory decommitted?  When was that announced?  I don't find anything about him decommitting from MU.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2014, 11:16:31 PM »
There was a quick blurb this fall.  Mark Miller tweeted it.  Best for all.  Seemed premature when he committed. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2014, 11:24:22 PM »
There was a quick blurb this fall.  Mark Miller tweeted it.  Best for all.  Seemed premature when he committed.  

OK, found it now.  He seemed so strong on MU and with his dad's connections with the program, seems pretty obvious that Wojo wasn't real high on him and he knew it.  We'll see how things turn out and whether Wojo is right or not (that's if Wojo's moved on completely from him).  It looks like Bo and UW are interested.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2014, 12:18:54 AM »
Mark Miller
‏@WisBBYearbook
Final from WBY Shootout, Germantown 67, Neenah 63. Matt Heldt with 28 for Neenah. Juwan McCloud with 16 for Germantown.

Mark Miller
‏@WisBBYearbook
Henry Ellenson finished with 24 points for Rice Lake in its 43-42 loss to Tosa West. Alou Dillon had 17 and Andre Carroll 14 for the Trojans

Steve Wojciechowski
‏@steve_wojo
Happy to be able to watch @HENBA13 & @HeldtMatt online in between film sessions tonight. #mubb #8Strong
The both .....lost? Both their teams lost? Not good.

And where could you have watched this 'online?'

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2014, 12:23:32 AM »
Unless there's a blizzard or you have young children, don't stay at home and watch the game on TWC.

Go to the gym and watch these kids play HS ball so you have a reference to their growth when they eventually graduate from MU.
They should have held this at the Al McGuire Center...as in years past.

I have no interest or desire travelling way out to Mequon to see this.

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2014, 12:52:50 AM »
Yeah, way out in Mequon.  Geez, it's 15 minutes from MU!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2014, 12:54:46 AM »
The both .....lost? Both their teams lost? Not good.

And where could you have watched this 'online?'

Besides Ellenson Rice Lake isn't good. Neenah just ran into the juggernaut that is Germantown. Two best teams in Division 1.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2014, 05:48:29 AM »
They should have held this at the Al McGuire Center...as in years past.

I believe they can't anymore due to WIAA rules.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2014, 06:42:13 AM »
I believe they can't anymore due to WIAA rules.

Actually I think it's an NCAA rule.  An "unfair" recruiting advantage for MU to host a HS invitational on campus.

illiniwarriors

• Walk-On
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2014, 06:55:08 AM »
You are correct.

NBBomber

• Walk-On
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2014, 08:59:08 AM »
Poor choice for a venue. Concordia is on the far outskirts of the Milwaukee area and is not convenient to get to. There was inadequate parking space for the large crowd and the gymnasium is no better than a mediocre high school gym. The crowd was so large there were people having to stand, or were sitting in the isles designated for accessing bleachers. There was no getting up and using the restroom, or hitting the snack bar. You would lose your seat. It was not a good place to bring your elderly father. Gotta believe there are better venues available. It was Christmas break for God's sake, Shouldn't they have had their pick of local HS or other facilities? 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2014, 09:06:04 AM »
Looked about the same size and length to me.  Heldt a little wider.  6-10 at least.
I am not sure what you were watching. Heldt is a short 6'10" and not as near as strong as Ellenson, who is a tall 6'10". Ellenson played the whole game fighting double teams, while Heldt left the game several times. One time to have his foot re bandaged. Maybe Heldt had a virus or something, but he definitely got winded. I also thought Heldt was quicker than Ellenson and had better hands. Heldt was also more likely to get a rebound out of his area. Heldt's team fell behind each time he went to the bench. Basically Heldt's team lost, because Heldt tip in a rebound for the other team in the third or fourth quarter. Oddly, Ellenson's team seemed to tip in the winning shot for the other team. I was sitting at the far end of the court, when two Rice Lake players were battling for the rebound on the last shot and the ball flew up into the basket. I could not tell, if it just bounced off their hands or if the opponent's player actually got a hand on it. Then I get home and see that Florida St. beat Florida, when a Florida player tip in FL St's last shot. It look exactly like the Held'st tip in. It was impressive how Ellenson could handle the ball, but I kept thinking about how Gardner could handle the ball in the pro am, but he could not do it in a college game. Generally, bigmen should not be bringing the ball up court. This was the first time I saw Ellenson play. It will be interesting to see how well he does in college. I do not see him as a one and done, but I have only seen him one time and his shot was not falling. This is the second time I have seen Heldt. I came away with the conclusion both times that he is not big enough to be a college center. Needs to work on being a power forward. Heldt's team often threw inbounds passes to him and lobs to get him the ball inside. He was always able to handle the passes, which led me to the conclusion he had great hands. Ellenson also has very good hands, but I felt Heldt's were better. Heldt made all of his free throws. Ellenson shot more free throws, but missed 4 or 5 of them.  I could see Ellenson (SF), Fischer(C) and Heldt(PF) on the floor at the same time in the right situations.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:10:27 AM by bilsu »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2014, 09:07:32 AM »
Actually I think it's an NCAA rule.  An "unfair" recruiting advantage for MU to host a HS invitational on campus.
I always thought the State Tournament being at the Kohl Center was an unfair recruiting advantage.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2014, 09:08:29 AM »
Poor choice for a venue. Concordia is on the far outskirts of the Milwaukee area and is not convenient to get to. There was inadequate parking space for the large crowd and the gymnasium is no better than a mediocre high school gym. The crowd was so large there were people having to stand, or were sitting in the isles designated for accessing bleachers. There was no getting up and using the restroom, or hitting the snack bar. You would lose your seat. It was not a good place to bring your elderly father. Gotta believe there are better venues available. It was Christmas break for God's sake, Shouldn't they have had their pick of local HS or other facilities? 

I bet they didn't want to have it at a high school since it could give an unfair advantage. The Mecca would have been a cool place for it but that is probably considered a UWM venue. I wouldn't be surprised if there was push back from the northern/western schools not to have it in Milwaukee.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2014, 10:02:52 AM »
I always thought the State Tournament being at the Kohl Center was an unfair recruiting advantage.

I think it definitely is an advantage.  Kids dream of making it to State and playing on the Badgers court.  There is quite a bit of synergy in the state between the dual dream of making it to state and being a Badger, at least now that the Badgers have been good at basketball for the past 15 years.

Think there is some kind of NCAA technicality that allows WIAA playoff games to be played on college campuses.  The Al has hosted sectionals in the past.