'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: We are down 2 points.....  (Read 5933 times)

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
We are down 2 points.....
« on: July 06, 2007, 11:05:18 AM »
and have posession of the ball with 10 seconds left.  Who do you want to take the last shot?  Who is the go to guy this year?  I would like Wes Matthews to drive to the basket and take a pull up jumper - I like the odds of success here with either him hitting the shot or I will take our chances with him at the free throw line. As a second option, Ill take a three from Fitzgerald. As a third I will take throwing the ball into Lazar (this is based on the recent news report - not his play last season).  I will take a pass on threes from James or McNeal or either of them driving to the basket because I think that you fail them to put them on the FT line.  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 11:08:40 AM by 1990Warrior »

mutpm

• Scholarship Player
Re: We are down 2 points.....
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 11:20:37 AM »
DJ has been clutch in his time here.  He may not end up taking the shot, but the ball should be in his hands with 10 seconds left.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 11:21:58 AM »
and have posession of the ball with 10 seconds left.  Who do you want to take the last shot?  Who is the go to guy this year?  I would like Wes Matthews to drive to the basket and take a pull up jumper - I like the odds of success here with either him hitting the shot or I will take our chances with him at the free throw line. As a second option, Ill take a three from Fitzgerald. As a third I will take throwing the ball into Lazar (this is based on the recent news report - not his play last season).  I will take a pass on threes from James or McNeal or either of them driving to the basket because I think that you fail them to put them on the FT line.  Thoughts?

I think Dominic James has hit more clutch shots in his two years at Marquette than anyone else on the team combined.
Remember the Valpo game? A three with three seconds remaining for the win (not to mention MU's final 18 points of the game).
The free throws to knock off Pitt in Pittsburgh?
The game-tying three at Louisville his freshman year?

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 11:42:43 AM »
"I think Dominic James has hit more clutch shots in his two years at Marquette than anyone else on the team combined."

I know about the past.  I want to know about this year - do you think that the percentages favor DJ taking the shot over the options I propose?  I think the stats argue for better options than DJ.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 11:51:49 AM »
And where do percentages come from? --The past, so if past performance is our primary indicator of future performance you'd probably want to have the ball in DJ's hands with time winding down because even if he doesn't take the shot chances are good that he can create an open look for somebody else.

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 11:53:05 AM »
DJ as a first...second....and third choice, if he fouled out Mathews
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 12:33:20 PM »
And where do percentages come from? --The past, so if past performance is our primary indicator of future performance you'd probably want to have the ball in DJ's hands with time winding down because even if he doesn't take the shot chances are good that he can create an open look for somebody else.

1) I agree that you would want DJ to set up the play - this post is about who you want to take the shot.
2) If you feel that DJs(or any one else's) field goal percentage (2 or 3 pt) is going to be better than historical performance then just say that. This is about projecting next year which is obviously opinion.

So who do you want DJ to pass the ball to?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 12:36:36 PM »
I want DJ, Jerel, Wes, Fitz, and Lazar (if he really has improved that much) on the floor.    I want the ball in DJ's hands.   I want him to start his move with 8-10 seconds on the clock.   I hate when they start their move with 4 seconds because it limits options.   Anyway, start his move with 8-10 seconds and see what unfolds.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 12:59:51 PM »
vehemently disagree with Wesley driving in that situation.  Approx. 50% of Wesley's drives result with a loose dribble off his foot or into the defender's hands.  The ball needs to be in DJ's hands preferrably for a draw and dish to a cutter...in that case Lazar or Jerel.  Fitz if it is a kick out.
Wesley's greatest area for improvement and his greatest weakness...one that must be fixed if he has any inclinations for the NBA is his handle.  Very very loose dribble, his turnovers unlike DJ's and Jerel's are not due to poor decisions, they are do to being a very poor dribbler.  A very high loose dribble.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 02:09:30 PM »
"I think Dominic James has hit more clutch shots in his two years at Marquette than anyone else on the team combined."

I know about the past.  I want to know about this year - do you think that the percentages favor DJ taking the shot over the options I propose?  I think the stats argue for better options than DJ.

So past performance in actual clutch situations is meaningless, yet you defend your selection using "the stats," which are ... a measure of past performance.

Since at least I cannot predict the future, I'll rely on what I've seen so far to make my judgment. And what I've seen so far is that DJ has shown an ability to hit clutch shots. Perhaps not every game, but certainly more frequently than any of his teammates. Thus, he is the guy who, if possible, I want take the last shot.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 02:20:25 PM »
I certainly want the ball in his hands, whether it's to take the last shot or create. I think he's intelligent enough to make the right decision.

tonyreeder

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 02:49:28 PM »
get the ball to Jimmy Chitwood and clear out.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 07:43:44 AM »
i want novak in the corner for the 67-65 dagger at the buzzer

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 09:13:14 AM »
it would be nice to have a play with james and lazar.  james takes it to the elbow for a jumper or has the option to pass off to a steaking lazar who is heading to the basket...but in reality james would 95% of the time take the shot

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 09:19:41 AM »
it would be nice to have a play with james and lazar.  james takes it to the elbow for a jumper or has the option to pass off to a steaking lazar who is heading to the basket...but in reality james would 95% of the time take the shot

I would agree. But I think Crean would know that the opposing team would target DJ and/or the current "hot hand" on MU's team, so he'd draw up a plan maybe like this:

1) First option, DJ on a curl and drive to the hoop or pull up 10 footer.
2) If doubled, Matthews.
3) If neither, first Lazar then McNeal.

I can't see McNeal getting passed over because of seniority. However, you gotta ride the hot hand...whoever it is.
SS Marquette