[Today at 10:35:30 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Avenue Commons
[Today at 10:20:33 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: FSU Humiliates Murray State  (Read 14682 times)

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Re: FSU Humiliates Murray State
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2019, 08:42:52 PM »
Marquette has such a rich, colorful tradition. The Marquette brand is renegade. It's brawling, and switchblades, and dancing on the sidelines after slam dunks.

Wojo is the antithesis of everything we stand for. The BoT went too far. We need to get back to our roots.

Let’s just get a guy who’s smart and tough and teams reflect that. We don’t have to have an Al reincarnation

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2019, 08:47:22 PM »
Gard would have won Big East regular season with our team.  In an undeniably strong Big Ten, way better this year than BE, still had them”

Um...no.  Gard is a good guy and successful at the D3 level and as an assistant at UW...but good god without Happ that team would have been lucky to be .500 at best total record for the year.  His entire game plans were around giving him his touches and they were fortunate he was that good.  Give him MU and Markus may have shot 30 times a game.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 08:53:59 PM by Da 'Lanche »

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2019, 08:49:15 PM »
Let’s just get a guy who’s smart and tough and teams reflect that. We don’t have to have an Al reincarnation
totally agree. no one is going to duplicate Al. trying to duplicate that is setting someone up for failure. like trying to replace Lombardi, it doesn't work.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2019, 08:49:50 PM »
Marquette has such a rich, colorful tradition. The Marquette brand is renegade. It's brawling, and switchblades, and dancing on the sidelines after slam dunks.

Wojo is the antithesis of everything we stand for. The BoT went too far. We need to get back to our roots.

On point. To answer questions in other threads about why Buzz keeps coming up, it’s because he captured that same spirit. The dancing on the sidelines, waltzing on the WV logo, tough-as-nails players. Al’s gone and so is Buzz, but the spirit shouldn’t be.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2019, 08:53:30 PM »
I would take a Wojo/Gard swap.

Anyone else?

If I was Barry Alvarez, I'd consider.

Would the Hausers come with the swap?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 08:56:32 PM by oldwarrior81 »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2019, 08:54:32 PM »
Hairy
As you know, I and many (you) are big Al guys, but I am tired of the constant Al influence at MU. He has been dead for nearly two decades and give from coaching for 42 years. No more Al on the uniform, no more Al nights and do not have to mention Al McGuire court every timeout.
Those who love him, will always love him. It is time to turn that page and let someone else have their day, outside of his shadow. I love Al as much as anyone, but I get tired of it being exploited at games.
I guess, long post to say I agree with your post.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2019, 08:55:00 PM »
If The Gipper and Tip could laugh over a splash of Irish Whiskey we should be able to share in the joys and agonies of being a Marquette die hard.

And, yes, it is coaching. Everything is in place: Talent, facilities, tradition, resources. It's a profound lack of vision, creativity, and dexterity.

You're missing the point. Wojo says the right things at the right times. Clearly, that means he's the right captain for this ship. He has the right image. The articles aren't critical. We're in a good spot. #resultsnomatta

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2019, 08:55:59 PM »

Um...no.  Gard is a good guy and successful at the D3 level and as an assistant at UW...but good god without Happ that team would have been lucky to be .500 at best total record for the year.  His entire game plans were around giving him his touches and they were fortunate he was that good.  Give him MU and Markus may have shot 30 times a game.

You basically verified my point. Give Gard our team that didn’t have to rely on one guy, in the weak 18-19 BE, and he brings home a conference title. He wouldn’t have lost at home to Creighton amd Georgetown. That’s all it would have taken

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2019, 08:57:49 PM »

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2019, 08:59:10 PM »
Hairy
As you know, I and many (you) are big Al guys, but I am tired of the constant Al influence at MU. He has been dead for nearly two decades and give from coaching for 42 years. No more Al on the uniform, no more Al nights and do not have to mention Al McGuire court every timeout.
Those who love him, will always love him. It is time to turn that page and let someone else have their day, outside of his shadow. I love Al as much as anyone, but I get tired of it being exploited at games.

As soon as another coach runs us a national title we’ll move on. Until then people will forever remember and idolize the coach that won us on single national championship.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2019, 08:59:29 PM »
Hairy

Ooooo hot take, but I completely agree.  He also would not love being deified. (You know, I can say this because I know him!)

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2019, 08:59:34 PM »
Da Lanche- Gard’s entire game plans centering around Happ were an indication of his strength as coach. Can’t imagine why that showed a flaw in his ability to you. It was a necessity for his team to have any chance this year, given rest of their personnel

Goose

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2019, 09:02:10 PM »
Hards

I have stating that opinion on here multiple times over the years. I actually get pissed at the over the top Al love shown by MU. Never forget him, but they cross a line IMO.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2019, 09:05:02 PM »
Hards

I have stating that opinion on here multiple times over the years. I actually get pissed at the over the top Al love shown by MU. Never forget him, but they cross a line IMO.

Much like Lombardi.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2019, 09:07:52 PM »
Hairy
agree. he is part of the proud history. I grew up on Al McGuire basketball and one of many reasons I am a mu fan today. However it is hard if not impossible to duplicate a legend. Doesn't mean mu shouldn't aim for the top. I am not sure if the powers that be feel that way sometimes.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2019, 09:08:53 PM »
Hairy

Well put Goose.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2019, 09:09:39 PM »
Hards
At least the Favre era took away some of the Lombardi love fest. Winning helps people move on. Sadly, once we get started the wheels fall off. Have couple of decades of real success and people move on to the present.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2019, 09:11:03 PM »
but what about the other 6 of 8 games they lost to end the season.

That's my point.  There's plenty to complain about.  Complaining about how much Murray State lost by after beating MU?  Beyond laughable.  For a bunch of old men who talk about how much better the good old days were when people could actually be a man and not have safe spaces for all millenials, the line of thinking is as soft minded as it gets.

Oh and suggesting that Marquette should've had the same gameplan as Florida State is...uhh...laughable.  Marquette and Florida State are not similar teams.  At all.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2019, 09:11:28 PM »
Da Lanche- Gard’s entire game plans centering around Happ were an indication of his strength as coach. Can’t imagine why that showed a flaw in his ability to you. It was a necessity for his team to have any chance this year, given rest of their personnel

Thanks...I get your point and it makes some sense to me...I guess...it is more than planning with what you got but how did you get there?   Gard has one guy (who I thought was really fantastic) and nobody else who can ball at a high level on that team following a world class decade of success?    Maybe he is a better x and o coach than Wojo (arguably) but his program post Happ is heading to a mid major talent level program quickly...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 09:14:30 PM by Da 'Lanche »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2019, 09:12:10 PM »
Wades being wades.  Slobbing on Wojo, and upset that Wojo is going to be gone after next year.

Just curious, you make a new Instagram account?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2019, 09:13:21 PM »
Flier,

Waddya think...is wades a spitter or swallower?

Lol.  Seems like pilots are really interested in this type of thing.  Weird.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2019, 09:15:02 PM »
Thanks...I get your point and it makes some sense to me...I guess...it is more than planning with what you got but how did you get there?   Gard has one guy (who I thought was really fantastic) and nobody else who can boat in that team following a world class decade of success?    Maybe he is a better x and o coach than Wojo (arguably) but his program post Happ is heading to a mid major talent level program quickly...

Might be so. No doubt, huge questions of his recruiting ability and rightly so.

But my point was give him this years MU team and we’re a conference champion and who knows from there

Goose

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2019, 09:15:23 PM »
hairy
I do not believe the powers understand what being in the top looks like or how to get there. I have mentioned many times my displeasure in BOT and how they go about things regarding their biggest asset. I have no doubt they want the program to be successful, but doubt they have definition they agree to in regards to success.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2019, 09:16:04 PM »
That's my point.  There's plenty to complain about.  Complaining about how much Murray State lost by after beating MU?  Beyond laughable.  For a bunch of old men who talk about how much better the good old days were when people could actually be a man and not have safe spaces for all millenials, the line of thinking is as soft minded as it gets.

Oh and suggesting that Marquette should've had the same gameplan as Florida State is...uhh...laughable.  Marquette and Florida State are not similar teams.  At all.
well I agree with you on the game plan. I never said they should duplicate FSU game plan. My issue is if you see something is not working then change it for christ sake. That's my frustration through the entire losing streak. same thing over and over and same result.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2019, 09:21:50 PM »
Wades
You are correct MU and Fl St are not similar teams. One won a convincing game to advance to S16 and one did not. Your reference to old guys and the old days is laughable. What are you talking about?

feedback