Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Avoid contact with recruits  (Read 14672 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Avoid contact with recruits
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2013, 11:14:55 PM »

"I am doing great. I have been thinking about you alot since last weekend. A whole lot. How are you doing?"

Quite possibly the most hilarious "roast" post ever.  Brilliant Keefe.  Thank God for Chicos, without him there would never be all of this comedy.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 11:17:56 PM »
It's already posted there by others.  I can see that you are beat and you are upset resulting in you lashing out, but it is ok to just admit you are wrong.  It can be cathartic.  Look, I don't even disagree with you that it isn't enforceable, but just admit you were wrong (or do you have Lenny syndrome and are incapable of it?). 

The legislation exists, the schools do inform boosters...sorry, you are just wrong.  Period.  You're not supposed to do it...it is against NCAA rules.  My son is only two years younger than these kids, the idea of someone my age or even 10 years younger tweeting or facebooking someone about my son's age is bizarre to me. "hey dude, hope you come here...we love you....yolo....please come here, but if you don't I'm going to stop being your BFF"

I'm all for being a fan, but let the kids be kids.  Oh, and it's against the rules.  Just admit it.   ;)

Somewhat unrelated, but I am chuckling to myself right now as I am writing an article involving SPARTA and the UAAA (for those not down with acronyms... they both involve contacting student athletes as an agent rather than the booster situation mentioned above).  Regardless... don't catfish.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 11:19:11 PM »
Keefe....coaches allowed, boosters not.

Even MeatChicken publishes their policy...who knew they cared about NCAA rules.   ;)

http://michiganhockey.net/compliance/#.Um82lZy2KRk

http://www.annarbor.com/news/as-twitter-incidents-multiply-michigan-athletes-sign-social-media-contract-and-try-to-avoid-controve/

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 11:20:14 PM »
It's already posted there by others.  I can see that you are beat and you are upset resulting in you lashing out, but it is ok to just admit you are wrong.  It can be cathartic.  Look, I don't even disagree with you that it isn't enforceable, but just admit you were wrong (or do you have Lenny syndrome and are incapable of it?).  

The legislation exists, the schools do inform boosters...sorry, you are just wrong.  Period.  You're not supposed to do it...it is against NCAA rules.  My son is only two years younger than these kids, the idea of someone my age or even 10 years younger tweeting or facebooking someone about my son's age is bizarre to me. "hey dude, hope you come here...we love you....yolo....please come here, but if you don't I'm going to stop being your BFF"

I'm all for being a fan, but let the kids be kids.  Oh, and it's against the rules.  Just admit it.   ;)

Did this quote I wrote previously not say as much?

My bad...I worded that incorrectly...you are correct...I was aware they have a policy (legislation) regarding it, because of course the NCAA is one big (often times ridiculous)policy machine.  The bigger point was, they can't enforce anything about it, and I personally don't give a crap about some ridiculous rule such as this one by the NCAA.  I do also agree it is very weird to Facebook like these kids...yet I personally don't think tweeting at a kid letting him know there's some love for him from a fan/fanbase - even if 30, 40, 50 or 60 years old is freaky. 

But I applaud you for being such an upstanding rule follower and yes man.   ;D
 If you prefer I will say what I posted was wrong about there being no way the NCAA could legislate such a rule...thought saying you were correct was saying the same thing.  (As I pointed out though, the veribage was wrong...the bigger point was there is no way to enforce it..so it essentially is a ridiculous rule, but one however, I am glad that you brought up....as it has led to some great comedy here!
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 11:26:13 PM »
Somewhat unrelated, but I am chuckling to myself right now as I am writing an article involving SPARTA and the UAAA (for those not down with acronyms... they both involve contacting student athletes as an agent rather than the booster situation mentioned above).  Regardless... don't catfish.

I always laughed at the SPARTA acronym.  The Sports Agent Responsibility and Trust Act.  LOL.  To be fair, there are a few agents that I deal with that are top notch, exemplary people from day one, but even they laugh at the acronym.  Over the years you come across some and you want to take a shower 2 minutes later.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2013, 11:43:30 PM »
http://www.rockchalktalk.com/2013/2/13/3984190/kansas-basketball-recruiting-your-friendly-reminder-to-not-tweet

Here you go ners, from KU....I like this part the most

However, boosters should refrain from tweeting about prospective student-athletes.

"It is not going to get you in trouble, and it (probably) is not going to get Kansas in trouble. (largely because some K-State fan could pretend to be a Jayhawks fan and tweet every recruit known to man over and over again) But 1. it is against the rules and 2. it is super weird and creepy. "

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2013, 11:49:17 PM »

Even MeatChicken publishes their policy...who knew they cared about NCAA rules.   ;)

http://michiganhockey.net/compliance/#.Um82lZy2KRk

http://www.annarbor.com/news/as-twitter-incidents-multiply-michigan-athletes-sign-social-media-contract-and-try-to-avoid-controve/

Keefe wasn't talking about what's "allowed". He was pointing out (ironically) how TC set the gold standard for freaky/weird communication with a 17 year old.

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: Avoid contact with recruits
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2013, 12:56:27 AM »
I always laughed at the SPARTA acronym.  The Sports Agent Responsibility and Trust Act.  LOL.  To be fair, there are a few agents that I deal with that are top notch, exemplary people from day one, but even they laugh at the acronym.  Over the years you come across some and you want to take a shower 2 minutes later.

As an attorney, it makes me hope for the day where I go against an agent that violated this so I can yell at the judge "This is... SPARTA!"
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2013, 01:10:56 AM »
Freakiest tweet ever sent by an adult to a 17 year old (athlete or not).
hey, its Crean. Zipping his fly down for a BB player. It should be the other way, aina?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2013, 01:16:07 AM »
As an attorney, it makes me hope for the day where I go against an agent that violated this so I can yell at the judge "This is... SPARTA!"

Young Spartans Exercising, Edgar Degas

Death on call

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2013, 01:39:38 AM »

Not true. Coaches not allowed to publicly. Had Crean included the recruit's name it would have been a violation.

This topic is simple - in general (credentialed media, other exceptions exist) fans should not communicate with kids prior to the first day of classes (fall semester in the case of MU). Even kids who have signed an NLI are off limits.

Schools should generally promote education of this, but cannot police everything.

People like chicos posting topics on a specific tweet such as this is distasteful as well, especially considering the amount of "fake" Twitter users.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2013, 05:10:14 AM »

"I am doing great. I have been thinking about you alot since last weekend. A whole lot. How are you doing?"

What's Crean doing with his hands?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 05:16:32 AM by real chili 83 »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2013, 06:41:37 AM »
Playin' pocket pool.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2013, 06:58:23 AM »
Usually, I don't have Chicos back, but some of you guys really have it out for the guy.

If anyone else had started this thread there would be a lot more agreement to not contact recruits on twitter.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2013, 07:23:23 AM »
Chicos didn't start the thread, it splintered off another thread. Regardless, whether it's Chicos or anyone else, this is the most overblown finger-shaking argument in the NCAA.

Quite simply, there's too much social media out there for them to regulate, so they don't bother. Is it against the rules? Yes. Without a doubt. But it happens thousands of times per day. Kansas, Kentucky, and Illinois fans are incredibly relentless. Some recruits, like Kendrick Nunn, seem to base where they want to go on which school's fans tweet at them the most. It is absolutely out of control to the point that no one is bothering trying to control it.

So yes, you can wag your finger and say "don't do it" but the bottom line is nothing has come of it, nothing will come of it, and no one really cares about it (except paranoid compliance officers). Some schools try to stop it, but the simple truth is there's only so much they can do, such as the missive MU sent out, and after that the booster's gonna do what the booster's gonna do. I'd guess that's why most don't do any more than a token effort to stem the tide, and I would guess some coaches (especially those that aren't particularly great recruiters in their own right) are glad their fans are doing it.

Personally, I don't do it often. Every now and then I admit I respond to a tweet I see from recruits, and yes I know it's a violation. But nothing will come of it. Really simple as that.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2013, 07:24:25 AM »
Or the short version of my post...

People bitching about this are like people yelling at everyone for driving 1-2 miles over the posted speed limit. Everyone does it, the cops don't care and won't punish you for it, and you look like a complete asshat trying to get people to stop.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2013, 08:25:28 AM »
Chicos didn't start the thread, it splintered off another thread. Regardless, whether it's Chicos or anyone else, this is the most overblown finger-shaking argument in the NCAA.

Quite simply, there's too much social media out there for them to regulate, so they don't bother. Is it against the rules? Yes. Without a doubt. But it happens thousands of times per day. Kansas, Kentucky, and Illinois fans are incredibly relentless. Some recruits, like Kendrick Nunn, seem to base where they want to go on which school's fans tweet at them the most. It is absolutely out of control to the point that no one is bothering trying to control it.

So yes, you can wag your finger and say "don't do it" but the bottom line is nothing has come of it, nothing will come of it, and no one really cares about it (except paranoid compliance officers). Some schools try to stop it, but the simple truth is there's only so much they can do, such as the missive MU sent out, and after that the booster's gonna do what the booster's gonna do. I'd guess that's why most don't do any more than a token effort to stem the tide, and I would guess some coaches (especially those that aren't particularly great recruiters in their own right) are glad their fans are doing it.

Personally, I don't do it often. Every now and then I admit I respond to a tweet I see from recruits, and yes I know it's a violation. But nothing will come of it. Really simple as that.

Oh, I understand, but I know this isn't the first time we've discussed this on the board.  And I'm sure there were a lot less people saying "don't worry about it" last time.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2013, 08:30:48 AM »
Yes, the NCAA can legislate against it, and already have.  Sorry you don't like it, but it's already in the rule book...pretty simple, look at the rules ners.  You are wrong.

As for the memo, MU already has sent those out, as does any worthwhile athletic department.  You just chose to ignore it. 

Can they enforce it, that's something different, but most certainly they can legislate against it and already have.  I choose to follow the request of my alma mater and the rules of the NCAA.  I also choose not to act like a 12 year old girl and send tweets and facebook likes to a 17 year old minor, mostly because it is against the NCAA rules but also because it's just plain freaky and weird as an adult to do so.

Well I agree with the last point.  However you still don't know if he is a booster.  You have no idea who he is.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2013, 08:34:44 AM »
Can we agree that:

1. Every major basketball or football program has fans (boosters) who have tweeted, are tweeting and will continue to tweet prospective recruits.
2. This is technically illegal.
3. The NCAA has never, isn't presently and will never do anything about it.
4. This is, therefore, much ado about nothing.

Exactly.  It is like your local morning radio show doing a segment entitled "do you believe it's still a law?"  Good for a few laughs but in the end completely irrelevant.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2013, 09:24:17 AM »
Exactly.  It is like your local morning radio show doing a segment entitled "do you believe it's still a law?"  Good for a few laughs but in the end completely irrelevant.

LOL

I agree with Chicos that it can be a big creepy, and I'm not a fan of people who do it incessantly. That one HoyasCutie account had 28 tweets, 25 of which were either directed at recruits or retweets of recruit tweets. That's ridiculous. But asking one question of a recruit, as Buzz4Pres did, not really a big deal.

And I'm not trying to say that Marquette people can't be just as bad. Blueman was a massive tool last year, especially when he lit up Kendrick Nunn on Twitter for picking Illinois.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2013, 09:35:33 AM »

I didn't start the thread, it was a response in a recruiting thread where there was an example of a booster interacting with a recruit...a clear violation of NCAA rules, MU policy, Big East policy, etc.  I merely pointed it out that we shouldn't be doing it. The mods then split the thread out and created it's solo version. 

Again, I'm not denying the reality....it is unenforceable....today...said it from the beginning. My university has asked that I don't do it.  I will comply.  Others can choose to do what they wish. These kids already have a bloated self worth of themselves, I don't think a bunch of 35 to 50 year olds showering tweets and facebook likes and begging them to come to good old alma mater is going to help with that entitlement, but it is what it is.   I find it creepy, others don't. 

Maybe we can take it the next step and setup paypal accounts and slip a digital c-note handshake or two to these guys.   8-)   And don't forget when liking these guys pages to "poke" them. 

I wonder if Buzz sent a note out asking boosters not to do it if attitudes would change.  Afterall, what the NCAA, MU compliance, Big East, etc say doesn't carry the same weight.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2013, 09:40:51 AM »
I also choose not to act like a 12 year old girl and send tweets and facebook likes to a 17 year old minor... because it's just plain freaky and weird as an adult to do so.

This.  Frankly, there's something fundamentally wrong with the concept of anybody over the age of 30 who publicly sends "tweets" and "likes" to someone he/she doesn't know.  As if the world doesn't have enough attention-starved kids these days, we really don't need throngs of attention-starved adults.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2013, 10:22:35 AM »
Can they enforce it, that's something different, but most certainly they can legislate against it and already have.  I choose to follow the request of my alma mater and the rules of the NCAA.  I also choose not to act like a 12 year old girl and send tweets and facebook likes to a 17 year old minor, mostly because it is against the NCAA rules but also because it's just plain freaky and weird as an adult to do so.

Agree.  And it's still creepy, though in a different way when a 20 year old jersey-chaser is tweeting next year's potential hook-ups.

But also creepy is kissing your teenage son on the lips.

MU_Beav

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2013, 10:46:20 AM »
Contacting kids via twitter (or any medium) is demeaning to the kid, but to your university, and yourself.  I can recall Illinois sycophants showering Kendrick Nunn with crap during his recruitment last year.  Again, small.  I had to wonder the ages of these people, their lot in life, did they have a life?  Apparently not.  Basketball, your alma mater, whatever, is never important enough to suck up to an adolescent child to get them to come to your school.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2013, 10:48:37 AM »
Contacting kids via twitter (or any medium) is demeaning to the kid, but to your university, and yourself.  I can recall Illinois sycophants showering Kendrick Nunn with crap during his recruitment last year.  Again, small.  I had to wonder the ages of these people, their lot in life, did they have a life?  Apparently not.  Basketball, your alma mater, whatever, is never important enough to suck up to an adolescent child to get them to come to your school.

Those are of course opinions...not facts.  You do realize that there will be many people that disagree with that right?