[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Avoid contact with recruits  (Read 14808 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Avoid contact with recruits
« on: October 28, 2013, 06:47:08 PM »
looks like he's coming to MU this weekend:

twitter feed below:

blank ‏@Buzz4Pres  9m 
@satch1032 when you making your visit to Marquette? Saving the best for last? Don't forget who pasted Miami to get to the Elite 8 last yr

Satchel Pierce ‏@satch1032  7m 
@Buzz4Pres coming this weekend hopefully

blank ‏@Buzz4Pres  39s 
@satch1032 awesome, we can't wait to have you! Hope you love Marq.

So we have a MU booster?? talking to this kid via twitter about an upcoming visit?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 06:59:50 PM »
So we have a MU booster?? talking to this kid via twitter about an upcoming visit?

Horrible, almost as bad as a UWM booster tweeting five times at a current Marquette student to try to convince him to transfer.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 07:03:18 PM »

You should turn us in Deputy Fife.

BTW do you know who ‏"@Buzz4Pres" is?  Do you know if he is a "booster?"
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 07:10:42 PM by The Sultan of Syncopation »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 07:11:58 PM »
C'mon man!
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 07:13:11 PM »

Who says he's booster?  Fans from all kinds of schools tweet at recruits...give me a break.  The NCAA cannot legislate how fans interact with recruits....what are they gonna do...contact schools and say - Hey, since it is totally possible for you to know who EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOUR FANS ARE - please send out a memo and tell all of them they cannot communicate with prospective recruits via Twitter.  Not even the Nazi like qualities of the NCAA could ever hand down a punishment to a school for fans tweeting at potential recruits.  They can say they don't want it to happen...but there is no way to enforce penalties when it does happen.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 07:18:38 PM »

No idea who he or she is. I just know that it is not me.
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 08:06:16 PM »
How incompetent would a Miami B-ball coach have to be to not have a recruit have a good visit?

Uceda definitely has the size to start at center at the "U".  Does anyone know if his game fits well there?  Miami also has a good sized PF committed in the freshman class, and is still in the hunt for one more.

"I don't know, some basketball kid I think." 

We actually know more about Miami basketball than Miami students/alums. 

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 08:32:38 PM »

As much as people aren't supposed to do this, they do it all the time and the NCAA doesn't do anything about it.  For example, look at Paul White's twitter feed right before his GT visit when several young coeds voiced their excitement over his visit.  Also some Hurricane cuties reached out to him as well.

Here was my post from then...

"However, he is taking 4 of his previously planned visits and then scheduled Miami. He is heading to Georgetown this weekend. @hoyacutie33 and @hoyafanatic are excited for his visit. I think we aren't really an option."

Here is @hoyacutie33.  Looks like she is putting up the good fight for Noah.
https://twitter.com/search?q=%40hoyacutie33

Here is @hoyafanatic.  Looks like she is also after Noah and Terance Mann and their upcoming visit
https://twitter.com/search?q=%40hoyafanatic&src=typd

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 08:57:32 PM »
You know that's a 20 year old engineering student posting that.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 09:09:57 PM »
As much as people aren't supposed to do this, they do it all the time and the NCAA doesn't do anything about it.  For example, look at Paul White's twitter feed right before his GT visit when several young coeds voiced their excitement over his visit.  Also some Hurricane cuties reached out to him as well.

Here was my post from then...

"However, he is taking 4 of his previously planned visits and then scheduled Miami. He is heading to Georgetown this weekend. @hoyacutie33 and @hoyafanatic are excited for his visit. I think we aren't really an option."

Here is @hoyacutie33.  Looks like she is putting up the good fight for Noah.
https://twitter.com/search?q=%40hoyacutie33

Here is @hoyafanatic.  Looks like she is also after Noah and Terance Mann and their upcoming visit
https://twitter.com/search?q=%40hoyafanatic&src=typd

I'm no Catfish expert, but those reek of burner Twitter accounts.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 09:29:03 PM »
I'm no Catfish expert, but those reek of burner Twitter accounts.

No kidding. Those would be the most attractive 2 females ever to set foot on Marquette's campus BY FAR. And not that Georgetown doesn't have more attractive girls than Marquette (because let's be honest, who doesn't?), but Georgetown ain't no SEC school. So those 2 just happen to be the biggest Georgetown basketball fans out there? Unlikely.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 09:36:46 PM »

By the definition of a booster.......I'd bet the house. Only because the definition of a booster is quite broad. 

Definition:

Have participated in or been a member of an agency that promotes the institution's intercollegiate athletics program
Have made financial contributions to the athletics department or a booster organization for the department
Have been involved otherwise in promoting the institution's athletics program
Have been a season ticket holder
Have provided benefits to student-athletes or their relatives or friends

Am I going to turn anyone in...of course not.  Would the school compliance department not be thrilled we have someone communicating with a recruit with the title Buzz4Pres to this kid....uhm, yes.  No question about it.

It's stupid.  Everyone here is a booster on this board.  You're not supposed to communicate with the student athletes prospective students.  It is #2 on the list of Booster no-no's and applies to any 9th grader or above (7th grade for men's basketball).

So if you guys get your rocks off attacking me on this, that's fine.  I'd ask as a booster of MU athletics, please don't make contact with recruits that may be considering MU.  It is a violation of NCAA rules.  Thank you.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 09:40:55 PM »
Who says he's booster?  Fans from all kinds of schools tweet at recruits...give me a break.  The NCAA cannot legislate how fans interact with recruits....what are they gonna do...contact schools and say - Hey, since it is totally possible for you to know who EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOUR FANS ARE - please send out a memo and tell all of them they cannot communicate with prospective recruits via Twitter.  Not even the Nazi like qualities of the NCAA could ever hand down a punishment to a school for fans tweeting at potential recruits.  They can say they don't want it to happen...but there is no way to enforce penalties when it does happen.

Yes, the NCAA can legislate against it, and already have.  Sorry you don't like it, but it's already in the rule book...pretty simple, look at the rules ners.  You are wrong.

As for the memo, MU already has sent those out, as does any worthwhile athletic department.  You just chose to ignore it.  

Can they enforce it, that's something different, but most certainly they can legislate against it and already have.  I choose to follow the request of my alma mater and the rules of the NCAA.  I also choose not to act like a 12 year old girl and send tweets and facebook likes to a 17 year old minor, mostly because it is against the NCAA rules but also because it's just plain freaky and weird as an adult to do so.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 09:48:14 PM »
Yes, the NCAA can legislate against it, and already have.  Sorry you don't like it, but it's already in the rule book...pretty simple, look at the rules ners.  You are wrong.

As for the memo, MU already has sent those out, as does any worthwhile athletic department.  You just chose to ignore it.  

Can they enforce it, that's something different, but most certainly they can legislate against it and already have.  I choose to follow the request of my alma mater and the rules of the NCAA.  I also choose not to act like a 12 year old girl and send tweets and facebook likes to a 17 year old minor, mostly because it is against the NCAA rules but also because it's just plain freaky and weird as an adult to do so.

This. Especially the last sentence.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 09:59:06 PM »

My bad...I worded that incorrectly...you are correct...I was aware they have a policy (legislation) regarding it, because of course the NCAA is one big (often times ridiculous)policy machine.  The bigger point was, they can't enforce anything about it, and I personally don't give a crap about some ridiculous rule such as this one by the NCAA.  I do also agree it is very weird to Facebook like these kids...yet I personally don't think tweeting at a kid letting him know there's some love for him from a fan/fanbase - even if 30, 40, 50 or 60 years old is freaky. 

But I applaud you for being such an upstanding rule follower and yes man.   ;D
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 10:01:38 PM »
By the definition of a booster.......I'd bet the house. Only because the definition of a booster is quite broad. 

Definition:

Have participated in or been a member of an agency that promotes the institution's intercollegiate athletics program
Have made financial contributions to the athletics department or a booster organization for the department
Have been involved otherwise in promoting the institution's athletics program
Have been a season ticket holder
Have provided benefits to student-athletes or their relatives or friends

Am I going to turn anyone in...of course not.  Would the school compliance department not be thrilled we have someone communicating with a recruit with the title Buzz4Pres to this kid....uhm, yes.  No question about it.

It's stupid.  Everyone here is a booster on this board.  You're not supposed to communicate with the student athletes prospective students.  It is #2 on the list of Booster no-no's and applies to any 9th grader or above (7th grade for men's basketball).

So if you guys get your rocks off attacking me on this, that's fine.  I'd ask as a booster of MU athletics, please don't make contact with recruits that may be considering MU.  It is a violation of NCAA rules.
  Thank you.

Could you please go post this on the IU and KU message boards too...so you can protect those great institutions who have even more wheels off fanbases?  Thank you for serving and protecting MU - you are a wonderful compliance policeman.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 10:17:48 PM »
This is what MU sent out.  Once a booster, you are a booster forever.  Specific section about social media.  You don't have to like it.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/marq/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/compliance_brochure.pdf

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 10:26:01 PM »
Interestingly enough this was retweeted by McKay...

Jeremy Bird ‏@Daddy_Rusty 16m
@ShowTime_McKay Fred Hoiberg >>>> everyone else #HiltonMagic
 Retweeted by FromRags2Riches

I understand there is a policy against contacting recruits but at the end of the day it is as meaningful/enforceable as someone only taking a penny from the give a penny/take a penny dish at the gas station.  

So though we shouldn't do it, we don't need to get overly worked up when someone does it under Buzz4Prez.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 10:46:47 PM by BallBoy »

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 10:39:06 PM »
You know that's a 20 year old male engineering student posting that.

Fixed.  I thought both were obvious fake accounts.

Regardless this shows why the NCAA can't enforce this.

1. These are fake handles probably connected to some random email address
2. There is nothing stopping anyone from creating an account as a fan of a rival school and commit violation after violation.
3. The NCAA can't even trace monetary transaction how would they have a remote chance of finding a fake twitter user.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 10:41:39 PM »
I also choose not to act like a 12 year old girl and send tweets and facebook likes to a 17 year old minor, mostly because it is against the NCAA rules but also because it's just plain freaky and weird as an adult to do so.

"I am doing great. I have been thinking about you alot since last weekend. A whole lot. How are you doing?"

Death on call

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 10:44:32 PM »
Can we agree that:

1. Every major basketball or football program has fans (boosters) who have tweeted, are tweeting and will continue to tweet prospective recruits.
2. This is technically illegal.
3. The NCAA has never, isn't presently and will never do anything about it.
4. This is, therefore, much ado about nothing.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 10:46:07 PM »

"I am doing great. I have been thinking about you alot since last weekend. A whole lot. How are you doing?"

Oops. Let's here the excuse for this one...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2013, 10:48:24 PM »
Fixed.  I thought both were obvious fake accounts.

Regardless this shows why the NCAA can't enforce this.

1. These are fake handles probably connected to some random email address
2. There is nothing stopping anyone from creating an account as a fan of a rival school and commit violation after violation.
3. The NCAA can't even trace monetary transaction how would they have a remote chance of finding a fake twitter user.

This is all great...but did you not get the memo??  Seriously dude...stop jeopardizing MU's ability to avoid the wrath of the NCAA.  

This is what MU sent out.  Once a booster, you are a booster forever.  Specific section about social media.  You don't have to like it.http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/marq/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/compliance_brochure.pdf

At the end of the day, MU has to send out a memo like this (NCAA mandated crap) to stay in compliance with the NCAA...after that...nothing more to the NCAA can do on this in the way of penalizing any school.  Let's face it....some people can figure out ways to create alternate handles (Hoopaloop) on MU Scoop - sure it can be done on Twitter too.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 10:52:43 PM by Ners »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 10:56:15 PM »

Freakiest tweet ever sent by an adult to a 17 year old (athlete or not).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2013, 11:12:11 PM »
Could you please go post this on the IU and KU message boards too...so you can protect those great institutions who have even more wheels off fanbases?  Thank you for serving and protecting MU - you are a wonderful compliance policeman.

It's already posted there by others.  I can see that you are beat and you are upset resulting in you lashing out, but it is ok to just admit you are wrong.  It can be cathartic.  Look, I don't even disagree with you that it isn't enforceable, but just admit you were wrong (or do you have Lenny syndrome and are incapable of it?). 

The legislation exists, the schools do inform boosters...sorry, you are just wrong.  Period.  You're not supposed to do it...it is against NCAA rules.  My son is only two years younger than these kids, the idea of someone my age or even 10 years younger tweeting or facebooking someone about my son's age is bizarre to me. "hey dude, hope you come here...we love you....yolo....please come here, but if you don't I'm going to stop being your BFF"

I'm all for being a fan, but let the kids be kids.  Oh, and it's against the rules.  Just admit it.   ;)