[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mitch McGary/MU update  (Read 14577 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Mitch McGary/MU update
« on: July 18, 2011, 02:58:14 PM »
Really not much new here, though nice to see Marquette is still in the mix:

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011-0717/ua-summer-jam-presented-by-ny2la-sports-recruiting-notes-part-ii/#more-11364

2011 UA Summer Jam Co-MVP Mitch McGary has proven his worth to schools over the past few months as he has accented into a top five prospect nationally.

“I’m honored to be ranked where I am,” said McGary. “… [but] I want to be number one.”

The SYF big man said he doesn’t have a list at this point but will sit down with coaches and family and make a list once the AAU season wraps up.

McGary did say he has offers from Duke, North Carolina, Florida, Florida State, Miami (FL), Indiana, Purdue, Texas, Maryland, Kansas, Connecticut, Kentucky, Marquette, “and more”.

When asked about Connecticut, McGary said his recent visit to UConn went really well but he has concerns about how long Calhoun will be there.

As for Marquette, McGary said he likes [head] coach Buzz (Williams) and (assistant) coach (Tony) Benford. He added that he has visited MU “a few times”.

McGary said he will probably make a decision before the start of his senior season.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Mitch McGary/MU update
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 03:05:04 PM »
Really not much new here, though nice to see Marquette is still in the mix:

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011-0717/ua-summer-jam-presented-by-ny2la-sports-recruiting-notes-part-ii/#more-11364

2011 UA Summer Jam Co-MVP Mitch McGary has proven his worth to schools over the past few months as he has accented into a top five prospect nationally.

“I’m honored to be ranked where I am,” said McGary. “… [but] I want to be number one.”

The SYF big man said he doesn’t have a list at this point but will sit down with coaches and family and make a list once the AAU season wraps up.

McGary did say he has offers from Duke, North Carolina, Florida, Florida State, Miami (FL), Indiana, Purdue, Texas, Maryland, Kansas, Connecticut, Kentucky, Marquette, “and more”.

When asked about Connecticut, McGary said his recent visit to UConn went really well but he has concerns about how long Calhoun will be there.

As for Marquette, McGary said he likes [head] coach Buzz (Williams) and (assistant) coach (Tony) Benford. He added that he has visited MU “a few times”.

McGary said he will probably make a decision before the start of his senior season.

Thanks for sharing. That sounds at least somewhat promising...although I'd like to get the kid's take on Chicos' banishment from Scoop

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 03:11:54 PM »
I believe at his ranking at #5, he would be the highest ranked recruit to commit to MU.  Only hoping, but we are in the game.

Speaking of Chico's demise, what ever happened to WilleWarrior?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 03:18:54 PM »
BT was the #1 recruit in the country.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 03:25:45 PM »

Apparently he is still active.  His last post was pretty overtly political, so I am wondering if he too was banned. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 03:28:09 PM »
I believe at his ranking at #5, he would be the highest ranked recruit to commit to MU.  Only hoping, but we are in the game.

We haven't been down 2-0 in a game for awhile...

nyg

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 03:32:50 PM »

Did not know that.  The internet was a dream back then and Street and Smith was only real "bible".  Interesting.  

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 03:42:53 PM »
As Yogi would say, I'll believe it when I believe it.  We've been the bridesmaid too many times to get excited.
No Finish Line

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 04:10:55 PM »
It sounds promising!  Good to find out before he starts his senior year.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 04:42:05 PM »
As Yogi would say, I'll believe it when I believe it.  We've been the bridesmaid too many times to get excited.

This.

We need something. Soon.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 04:58:33 PM »

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 05:36:13 PM »
I missed it...why did Chicos get banned?

He seems to get banned from every board he posts on.

Must be a conspiracy.....

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 08:57:01 PM »
North Carolina has been watching him play but as of today has NOT offered.

He apparently wants them to offer and on more than one occasion has said if they did, he'd commit on the spot....which is why they haven't offered yet....others in play who are higher priorities. His offer from Roy will depend on what a few others decide.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 10:28:33 PM »

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 10:51:28 PM »

and look how well that turned out?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 06:36:44 AM »
I like a few things about this. First, we're still in the mix and have been since before he was even ranked in the top 100. Second, he's been here multiple times. And third, he's planning to decide before his senior season starts, which means Buzz won't end up wasting the entire fall and summer trying to convince the kid to come here only to come up short.

Would be fantastic if we got him, definitely my top choice for us (him and Kris Dunn would be amazing) but I won't be shocked if he goes elsewhere.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 03:11:15 PM »
I Just pray that one day i will come on here and see we got a top recruit like this.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 03:44:14 PM »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 03:51:33 PM »
and look how well that turned out?

Well, he was a headcase who never really lived up to his potential. But we don't win the National Championship without him.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 03:56:04 PM »
Well, he was a headcase who never really lived up to his potential. But we don't win the National Championship without him.

I'd take an underachieving headcase if it meant a National Championship.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 03:56:19 PM »
I am going by memory, but I think BT was actually No. 3. Moses Malone and Soup Campbell went directly to pros.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 06:49:25 PM »
I'd take an underachieving headcase if it meant a National Championship.

Al was so fed up with "Looney" Toone(s) he got in a fistfight with him in the locker room at haftime during an NCAA tourney game in 77 over Toone's playing time. Despite that, he played starter's minutes as our 6th man in the championship game vs North Carolina.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 07:06:08 PM »
This is the first team Parade Magazine All-American team from 1975 and I'm not sure if they are in order of votes or not, but I suspect they are.

Bill Cartwright - San Francisco
Dave Greenwood - UCLA
Kyle Macy - Kentucky
Bill Willoughby - NBA
Roy Hamilton - UCLA
James Hardy - San Francisco
Bernard Toone - Marquette
Darryl Dawkins - NBA
Bruce Flowers - Notre Dame
Winford Boynes - San Francisco
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 11:32:57 PM »
NC offered 10 days ago.

http://twitter.com/clintjackson1/status/89438799175745536

Not true. This is the kid's dad posturing....UNC actually just contacted the kid and said they'd be coming to watch him play but they haven't offered yet. The Clint Jackson tweet was shot down by the Inside Carolina moderators shortly after it went out.

I was just on the NC premium site and re-verified that and McGary does NOT have an offer. There are plenty of posters there questioning why Roy has been slow about things and the fact that Roy actually just started watching him during the July evaluation period. As I previously stated, they have others prioritized ahead of him; if those others don't pan out they'll offer McGary.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 10:17:12 PM »
No idea if UNC has offered or not, but McGary seems to be having a love affair start with them on Twitter. Retweeting UNC fans giving him props for his highlight videos and how happy they are to see him with Marcus Paige and JP Tokoto on the Nike Global Challenge Midwest team in hopes of it being the future of UNC basketball. The more I read about him over the past week, the more I feel UNC is going to swoop in and steal this one, too.

There's also this: http://marquette.scout.com/2/1089366.html

He indicates there may be an offer coming from Ole Roy. Our best chances seem to hinge on the relationship he has with the coach (he's visited MU multiple times, have to imagine he likes Buzz if he keeps coming back) and playing time, which should be wide open in 2012 with Crowder gone. While we don't have a traditional four, we've also somewhat ran our offense through four-types, with Lazar and Jae putting up respectable numbers. I'm still dreaming of McGary, but the realist in me doesn't see it happening.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback