'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ben Steele too  (Read 8662 times)

Mu8891

• All American
Ben Steele too
« on: March 18, 2021, 03:31:24 PM »
I could not get the link to attach

But, JS just posted a piece about mu
and the problems WOJO is having

I’m sure Lovell and Scholl were just hoping no one would notice how bad things are.  Guess that’s not working out too well

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Ben Steele too
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 03:46:28 PM »
LOL

Starting to feel kinda bad for the guy on a personal level, but a change is so obviously needed on all sides. I hope he can get himself a soft parachute landing like Ricky P Jr. and wish him the best of luck in his career.

panda

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 03:50:06 PM »
LOL

Starting to feel kinda bad for the guy on a personal level, but a change is so obviously needed on all sides. I hope he can get himself a soft parachute landing like Ricky P Jr. and wish him the best of luck in his career.

I felt bad for him for about a second and then realized he's probably made close to $10 million during his time at MU. I stopped feeling bad very quickly.

JimsTimeOutFan

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 03:50:17 PM »
I also feel kinda bad for him.  I didn't love that billboard for that reason. Public shaming is probably not necessary. Admin should take mercy on him and end it! then again, why feel bad for someone who is going to likely earn more than most Americans do in a year to not coach a sport....On a personal level i wish him no ill will

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 03:52:02 PM »
Frankly, I'd be surprised if Wojo lasts the weekend.  I'm sure they are internally discussing a way of cordially separating, however that looks like.  Perhaps a mutual parting of ways, where Wojo accepts a reduced buyout.  He gets a nice parachute, the school is off the hook for for money that it thought it would, and the school can be free to hire a new head coach and staff (maybe even backload it to offset the upfront cost of paying for a buyout). 

Still sad.  MUBB should never have come to this point.  But we have, and now changes need to be made.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 03:52:51 PM »
why feel bad for someone who is going to likely earn more than most Americans do in a year to not coach a sport

I think you meant “a lifetime”.  Or multiple lifetimes, if his buyout’s $6 million.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 03:57:11 PM »
Frankly, I'd be surprised if Wojo lasts the weekend.  I'm sure they are internally discussing a way of cordially separating, however that looks like.  Perhaps a mutual parting of ways, where Wojo accepts a reduced buyout.  He gets a nice parachute, the school is off the hook for for money that it thought it would, and the school can be free to hire a new head coach and staff (maybe even backload it to offset the upfront cost of paying for a buyout). 

Still sad.  MUBB should never have come to this point.  But we have, and now changes need to be made.

Why in the world would Wojo do that?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 03:57:29 PM »
At this point, I feel bad for Wojo as there is nothing that he can do about it. The ball is in the Admin’s court. They either need to fire Wojo or come out and publicly support him (at which point the anger can be directed toward them).

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 03:58:29 PM »

I would be surprised. What reason would Wojo have to take less money? He’s got a contract and seems willing to coach for MU. Unless he really wants out, I see him trying to win next year and use that for a better job to stick it to fans on the way out.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 04:02:17 PM »

These guys aren’t wired like that.  That would be akin to quitting
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 04:02:44 PM »

No chance Marquette fires Wojo without having a coach lined up.  Zero.  So it won't be for a few weeks if it happens.... unless the replacement is available earlier.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 04:06:00 PM »
No chance Marquette fires Wojo without having a coach lined up.  Zero.  So it won't be for a few weeks if it happens.... unless the replacement is available earlier.

Brian Wardle is free

connie

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 04:11:40 PM »
Brian Wardle is free
What is a step beyond teal?
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2021, 04:12:30 PM »
Brian Wardle is free
A ringing endorsement for Wardle!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2021, 04:12:56 PM »
I also feel kinda bad for him.  I didn't love that billboard for that reason. Public shaming is probably not necessary. Admin should take mercy on him and end it! then again, why feel bad for someone who is going to likely earn more than most Americans do in a year to not coach a sport....On a personal level i wish him no ill will

Wait did someone make a fire wojo billboard? 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2021, 04:13:15 PM »
I would ( almost ) feel bad for him
Except for the MILLIONS of dollars

I really think the Admin was / is clueless.

But now it’s all out in the open.  No
One ( except Dodds ) buys the Covid
Excuse

Lots of other P6 schools are firing guys and moving on ... the coaching carousel is on full steam

( TJ leaves UNLV to go to ISU ... so now UNLV is open )
Indiana... MINN ... BC... etc etc

How can this possibly end well ?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2021, 04:14:55 PM »
A ringing endorsement for Wardle!

A green Wardle Woody

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2021, 04:19:56 PM »
A green Wardle Woody

I send the green horse to run him over before any interview

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2021, 04:25:40 PM »

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2021, 04:43:10 PM »
Frankly, I'd be surprised if Wojo lasts the weekend.

Your assuming this athletic department actually cares

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2021, 04:44:27 PM »

Ding ding ding. Plus Lovell really likes Wojo. Their tenures are likely tied together.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2021, 04:45:24 PM »

If you like terrible basketball and even worse offense, you can’t do much worse than BW

panda

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2021, 04:46:40 PM »

They had a really tough year...Although they didn’t say it would be tough until after the season when they fell short of every pre season metric set out.

And they wouldn’t be complaining about the tough year if they actually played well....

But they had a really tough year and it definitely doesn’t count.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2021, 04:47:38 PM »
If you like terrible basketball and even worse offense, you can’t do much worse than BW
Is that why you continue to excuse Wojo-Dukiets mediocrity? Fear of another usurping the power of your King?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2021, 04:49:30 PM »
Is that why you continue to excuse Wojo-Dukiets mediocrity? Fear of another usurping the power of your King?

I don’t.  Brian Wardle is not a good coach.  Replacing one bad coach with another one is pretty stupid

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2021, 04:59:04 PM »
I don’t.  Brian Wardle is not a good coach.  Replacing one bad coach with another one is pretty stupid

Strange take as wardle has made every program he's taken over better.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2021, 05:06:51 PM »
Strange take as wardle has made every program he's taken over better.

If Brian Wardle graduated from UMass instead of Marquette, no one on scoop would have them anywhere near their list of top candidates.  He’s had one winning record in league play in 6 years in the Missouri Valley.  The league isn’t nearly as strong as it was a decade ago

panda

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2021, 05:08:48 PM »
If Brian Wardle graduated from UMass instead of Marquette, no one on scoop would have them anywhere near their list of top candidates.  He’s had one winning record in league play in 6 years in the Missouri Valley.  The league isn’t nearly as strong as it was a decade ago

The Marquette connection helps but it doesn’t move the needle after the season he had.

To play devils advocate, a career assistant at one school shouldn’t ever be mentioned for a big time job like MU. Or earn him seven years of leeway with poor results.

Wardle has done more to prove his worth than Wojo ever did.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2021, 05:09:48 PM »
The Marquette connection helps but it doesn’t move the needle after the season he had.

To play devils advocate, a career assistant at one school shouldn’t ever be mentioned for a big time job like MU. Or earn him seven years of leeway with poor results.

I don’t have a problem with that argument and it would be my hope the next hire isn’t an assistant off a staff

panda

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2021, 05:11:34 PM »
I don’t have a problem with that argument and it would be my hope the next hire isn’t an assistant off a staff

Totally agree. Just playing devils advocate

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2021, 05:17:09 PM »
Totally agree. Just playing devils advocate

I don’t think there’s a correct recipe for hiring a coach.  Maybe an assistant would be great.  It worked with Tom Crean but the past decade, the results haven’t been great.  Wojo, Chris Collins, Orlando Antigua, Ricky Ray, Mike Hopkins and Danny Manning at Tulsa have been a mixed bag at best (not counting mid-majors).

My preference would be a proven mid-major winner barring the unicorn hire

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2021, 05:21:37 PM »

Well MU did not do too bad with career assistants(at the time of hire) with O'Neil and Crean, but it is a good point. Wardle would likely do a lot better if he had the resources that Wojo-Dukiet has had. But the school should do a thorough search. Question is: Do they have the gonads?

panda

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2021, 05:29:39 PM »
Well MU did not do too bad with career assistants(at the time of hire) with O'Neil and Crean, but it is a good point. Wardle would likely do a lot better if he had the resources that Wojo-Dukiet has had. But the school should do a thorough search. Question is: Do they have the gonads?

Short answer - No.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2021, 05:30:37 PM »
It is all about recruiting and I really doubt Wardle can recruit at the level needed to be competitive in the Big East.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2021, 05:30:44 PM »
Why in the world would Wojo do that?

Because a coach that breaks the rules and wins will always get hired before a coach that loses, and Wojo, today, has that stigma.  Casual fans now associate him with losing.

He would accept a lower buyout, in theory - say $4 million - to live to fight another day.  If he comes back again and loses next year, he will be hard pressed to find another high major to major job in the country.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2021, 05:37:46 PM »
It is all about recruiting and I really doubt Wardle can recruit at the level needed to be competitive in the Big East.
How has tht worked out for Wojo-Dukiet?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2021, 06:05:55 PM »

Bradley's Missouri Valley finishes under Wardle:
9th
6th
5th
3rd
8th
Cumulative record: 41-52.
I mean, if we want to dump Wojo for a sub-.500 Big East record, does it make sense to replace him with a guy that has one season above .500 in the Valley?

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2021, 06:11:12 PM »
9th
6th
5th
3rd
8th
I mean, if we want to dump Wojo for a sub-.500 Big East record, does it make sense to replace him with a guy that has one season above .500 in the Valley?
I think if he had the resources available to him that Marquette does he'd be well above .500 in the Missouri Valley

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2021, 06:15:35 PM »
I think if he had the resources available to him that Marquette does he'd be well above .500 in the Missouri Valley

Good coaches don’t need excuses.  They find a way to win.  Overcoming adversity and obstacles ought to be prioritized not dismissed based on “well, he lacked resources”.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2021, 06:20:10 PM »
Good coaches don’t need excuses.  They find a way to win.  Overcoming adversity and obstacles ought to be prioritized not dismissed based on “well, he lacked resources”.
I was being facetious. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2021, 06:20:43 PM »
I was being facetious.

My apologies

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2021, 06:20:59 PM »
Wait did someone make a fire wojo billboard?

nm
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 06:26:59 PM by Knight Commission »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2021, 06:22:34 PM »
9th
6th
5th
3rd
8th

9/6/5/3 with a couple tournament titles looked good coming into this year. This year, far less enticing. I like the idea of Wardle being there if we really need him, but he's not at the top of my lists.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2021, 06:32:58 PM »
9/6/5/3 with a couple tournament titles looked good coming into this year. This year, far less enticing. I like the idea of Wardle being there if we really need him, but he's not at the top of my lists.

Wardle inherited a mess, so a mulligan on his first season is fair.
After that, third place is his best finish over five seasons in a mid-major conference. We want to fire a coach for better results than he's produced in the Valley
Good for him they got hot and won their tourney, but that's a terrible way to analyze a coach vs full season results.
And on top of all that, he's a twat.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2021, 07:06:16 PM »

To be fair, KO had been a HC multiple times. 10 years into his career when he came to Marquette, half had been as a HC at HS, CC, and NAIA level before being a D1 assistant pushed him into overdrive

Viper

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2021, 07:37:57 PM »
To be fair, KO had been a HC multiple times. 10 years into his career when he came to Marquette, half had been as a HC at HS, CC, and NAIA level before being a D1 assistant pushed him into overdrive
MU needed to pay KO. They offered him sh!t after he took a train wreck to the S16. Could have avoided the sunglassed weirdo altogether and probably reached a E8 or F4. Oh well, what comes around goes around. btw, both KO and Deane were hilarious at the 100yrs party. Actually, Wojo was ok too.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2021, 08:04:01 PM »
Then why have you been offering excuses for Wojo-Dukiet? Guess maybe because he is not a good coach.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2021, 08:09:06 PM »
Then why have you been offering excuses for Wojo-Dukiet? Guess maybe because he is not a good coach.

I said he should go.  Wardle has been at Bradley for 6 years.  He’s had one winning year.  He inherited a mess but has plateaued.  That’s not a guy that’s going to come to Marquette and do any better.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2021, 08:12:33 PM »
Note to Administration
How about predicating buyouts on performance? The better you did the higher the severance?
Time to be prudent with MU funds

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2021, 06:54:19 AM »
Note to Administration
How about predicating buyouts on performance? The better you did the higher the severance?
Time to be prudent with MU funds

You don't understand how buyouts work.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2021, 11:03:13 AM »

Except he wouldn't be in the Missouri Valley.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2021, 11:05:12 AM »
MU needed to pay KO. They offered him sh!t after he took a train wreck to the S16. Could have avoided the sunglassed weirdo altogether and probably reached a E8 or F4. Oh well, what comes around goes around. btw, both KO and Deane were hilarious at the 100yrs party. Actually, Wojo was ok too.

KO may be the most important coach in Marquette history. Not best, but most important just based on the timing of everything.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2021, 11:23:28 AM »

or

In the past on this board there were quite a few people that had mentioned Wardle. It's been less now in more recent times. Some of these same people were less interested in the coach that did the bottom list of numbers here, in the same, league, at the same time. It was and is strange to me.

To be clear, I am not advocating for either one. It was always a bizarre thing to me that some had and perhaps still have Wardle on a list but not the other.

burger

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2021, 11:30:55 AM »
Porter Moser is the coach we should want......Majerus ties.....Done more with little.....A coach that teaches defense.....Even if takes a few years to get the recruiting going.....He will find a way to get us to the NCAA's.....

Wojo and his teams are just "soft"......

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2021, 11:35:27 AM »
Scholl would need to figure out what attributes he wants from a head coach, and recruit to those attributes.  Where two coaches finished in the same conference is part of that, but hardly the whole story.

For instance, I would love someone like Nate Oats.  His use of analytics.  The pace at which they play.  The interchangeable parts.  I think that's how you win in college basketball these days.  Figure out who is doing that now, and who fits the Marquette culture, and that is the guy I want.  (So yeah, I would love Oats, but that's likely not happening.)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2021, 01:12:10 PM »

Like I said.  I was going to be surprised if Wojo lasted the weekend.  Too much momentum in recent days to force a change. 

feedback