'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Felony warrant issued for Creighton point guard Maurice Watson Jr.  (Read 17300 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Creighton suspends injured Maurice Watson for misconduct
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2017, 01:26:25 PM »

Creighton has every right to limit Watson's ability to participate in athletic activities under its code of conduct. They do not have to meet the "innocent until proven guilty" standard.

Correct.  Not to get into the weeds but it's a preponderance of the evidence standard as well.  Moreover, they don't have to wait until anything fully adjudicated.  Playing basketball isn't a right.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2017, 03:37:06 PM »
Watson is innocent till proven guilty. There are many false charges being thrown around these days. Take this recent case for example....
http://nypost.com/2017/02/22/teen-charged-with-lying-about-being-raped-by-college-football-players/

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2017, 03:42:48 PM »
Hmm...I am a wealthy MU alum. I pay a few hundred woman to accuse the best players in the top 25 of rape. MU walks to the National Championship.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2017, 03:44:50 PM »
Watson is innocent till proven guilty. There are many false charges being thrown around these days. Take this recent case for example....
http://nypost.com/2017/02/22/teen-charged-with-lying-about-being-raped-by-college-football-players/

No one said he isn't innocent until proven guilty.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2017, 03:48:27 PM »
Yes, that's a legal concept that the public (those outside the case) are not bound to much like the public does not have to take it one game at a time. But obviously, rushing to judgment with these kinds of things is dangerous...it's also human nature--that's why jury selection is critical!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2017, 03:53:57 PM »
Hmm...I am a wealthy MU alum. I pay a few hundred woman to accuse the best players in the top 25 of rape. MU walks to the National Championship.

Yeah.  Let's go make sure a young woman accuses a guy on a BE opponent who's out for the year with a torn ACL of rape because it helps our basketball team so much!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2017, 04:31:13 PM »

Define many. Most recent estimates by the Department of Justice put the false reporting rate at around 3%...which is around the same rate as most crimes.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2017, 04:36:33 PM »

As it pertains to a criminal conviction, agree 100%.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2017, 04:39:07 PM »
Define many. Most recent estimates by the Department of Justice put the false reporting rate at around 3%...which is around the same rate as most crimes.
Safe to say where there's smoke there's (at least a little) fire. The legal system does an adequate job of pursuing that smoke to ensure it's not a false alarm.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2017, 05:25:01 PM »
3 percent creates a large absolute, hence many.
            ---Al McGuire

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2017, 05:54:32 PM »
Possible, but to be honest, just about every school has been accused of mishandling a sexual assault case in the past 6 years. Its become a part of the process.

Agreed, but the recent campus uproar at Creighton, especially in combination with Watson being out for the year, made decisions here infinitely easier.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2017, 09:15:21 PM »
Felony warrant issued for Creighton point guard Maurice Watson Jr.
2/24/17 4:34 PM CT

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18754122/felony-warrant-issued-creighton-bluejays-maurice-watson-jr

Authorities have issued a felony warrant charging Creighton point guard Maurice Watson Jr. with first-degree sexual assault.

Stu Dornan, one of Watson's attorneys, told the Omaha World-Herald on Friday that Watson is en route from Philadelphia to Omaha to turn himself in.

According to an incident report, a 19-year-old woman said Watson had non-consensual sexual intercourse with her in the bathroom of a midtown residence about 3 a.m. on Feb. 4.

g0lden3agle

• All American
Re: Felony warrant issued for Creighton point guard Maurice Watson Jr.
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2017, 09:21:01 PM »
In before the lock!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2017, 10:31:31 PM »
Watson is being used by over zealous prosecutors.
            ---Al McGuire

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2017, 10:33:06 PM »

You're a piece of work.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2017, 10:36:30 PM »
You're a piece of work.
Ordinarily I am law and order. I smell a scam here. Explain how a kid with a torn ACL rapes a woman in a bathroom when he is hours away from his surgery .
            ---Al McGuire

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2017, 10:40:07 PM »
Ordinarily I am law and order. I smell a scam here. Explain how a kid with a torn ACL rapes a woman in a bathroom when he is hours away from his surgery .

Ummmmm, not sure this is real or not, but ACL reconstruction is an outpatient procedure.  There's also a possibility that he had a nerve block and won't even feel his knee for up to 24 hours. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2017, 10:55:55 PM »
Ummmmm, not sure this is real or not, but ACL reconstruction is an outpatient procedure.  There's also a possibility that he had a nerve block and won't even feel his knee for up to 24 hours.
Ok still there is the pure physics involved .  She would have to be on top which by definition takes away from the rape charge.
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2017, 11:02:09 PM »
Ok still there is the pure physics involved .  She would have to be on top which by definition takes away from the rape charge.

Oh dear god no. She was on top so it couldn't have been rape? Seriously?

Interestingly enough, I had a student once use the "I recently had knee surgery, I couldn't have gotten into the position she described." I won't go in to details but we were able to prove definitively that he could get into the exact position she described....with no extra effort.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 11:04:04 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2017, 11:06:29 PM »
3 percent creates a large absolute, hence many.

Yes it does. Which is why we have the criminal justice process to root out those 3%.

When someone reports another crime like theft or battery do you assume that the victim is making a false report too?
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2017, 11:16:11 PM »

Sadly, I can think of literally dozens of ways. Keep in mind that this is first degree sexual assault. A DA will usually only bring those charges when they feel it is a sure thing. Could mean there was a drug involved, could mean a weapon was involved, could mean there was physical assault in addition to the sexual assault, it could mean that she was so drunk that she was unconscious (A DA would never bring first degree charges if it was a drunk but alert situation).

It's one thing to say "we don't know what happened, innocent until proven guilty." It's another to say definitively that it is a scam and he is being railroaded.
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2017, 11:23:24 PM »
Sadly, I can think of literally dozens of ways. Keep in mind that this is first degree sexual assault. A DA will usually only bring those charges when they feel it is a sure thing. Could mean there was a drug involved, could mean a weapon was involved, could mean there was physical assault in addition to the sexual assault, it could mean that she was so drunk that she was unconscious (A DA would never bring first degree charges if it was a drunk but alert situation).

It's one thing to say "we don't know what happened, innocent until proven guilty." It's another to say definitively that it is a scam and he is being railroaded.
Prosecutors bring false  charges to further their political careers. Happens frequently.  Great example Duke Lacrosse about 10 years ago. More recently look at the bogus charges made by DA in Baltimore , where every case was thrown out.

The accusers in these situations are frequently unstable liars.
            ---Al McGuire

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2017, 11:25:14 PM »

This may be one of the dumbest assumptions ever.  He had torn his ACL almost 3 weeks earlier.  I know people that 3-weeks after an ACL tear were back to light jogging without surgery.  Explain how such an individual, especially a well trained athlete, couldn't rape a woman, especially if they may have been drugged.

Heck Dajuan Blair played in the NBA for years without any ACL's. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2017, 11:33:11 PM »
This may be one of the dumbest assumptions ever.  He had torn his ACL almost 3 weeks earlier.  I know people that 3-weeks after an ACL tear were back to light jogging without surgery.  Explain how such an individual, especially a well trained athlete, couldn't rape a woman, especially if they may have been drugged.

Heck Dajuan Blair played in the NBA for years without any ACL's.
http://www.omaha.com/news/crime/attorney-maurice-watson-adamantly-denies-sexual-assault-allegation-is-returning/article_c33741a8-faba-11e6-80b2-43586d6edf9a.html

I believe Watson.
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2017, 11:47:36 PM »
Prosecutors bring false  charges to further their political careers. Happens frequently.  Great example Duke Lacrosse about 10 years ago. More recently look at the bogus charges made by DA in Baltimore , where every case was thrown out.

The accusers in these situations are frequently unstable liars.

I'm sure it does happen, but very rarely with sexual assault. DAs like cases that are winnable. Its currently estimated that 98% of rapists never spend a day in jail. Part of that is because of undereporting but most of it is because sexual assault is next to impossible to prove in our judicial system. A vast majority of cases never get heard because the DA knows that they'll never win in court. I would guess your "frequently" is probably less than 0.5% of the time. Certainly possible but highly improbable.

Everyone brings up Duke LAX. I wouldn't be so sure it is the golden example you are looking for. The DA was a moron and did break the law to try and make his case. But that doesn't necessarily mean that something horrible didn't happen to that young woman at that party.
TAMU

feedback