collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: KC/CBE  (Read 3501 times)

mikem91288

• Team Captain
KC/CBE
« on: October 25, 2010, 11:28:55 PM »
Who's going down? Anything being put on by MU for fans that are making the trip?

Also, any good bars downtown or BBQ places a KC first timer should check out?
Warrior in the class of 2011.

MUfan12

• All American
Re: KC/CBE
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 11:42:01 PM »
Heading down as well, and would love some BBQ recommendations.

kansaswarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 12:25:51 AM »
Oklahoma Joe's, Arthur Bryants, KC Masterpiece depending on your particular BBQ taste. In all honesty you can't really go wrong with BBQ in KC. My personal favorite is Oklahoma Joe's though. It's in a gas station but don't get freaked out the food is good.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 07:34:33 AM »
Here's the page with links to the places that Man vs. Food went to in KC for that episode:

http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Man_V_Food/Episodes_Travel_Guides/ci.KansasCity.map
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 07:48:54 AM »
Who's going down? Anything being put on by MU for fans that are making the trip?

Also, any good bars downtown or BBQ places a KC first timer should check out?

It's not a bar or BBQ place, but there is a pretty good NCAA hoops museum in KC.

kansaswarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 09:34:27 AM »
If you a good chunk of downtime check out the WWI memorial. It's a pretty unique experience (it used to be the only one in the country I don't know if that's changed or not) they just did a complete renovation a couple years ago and it looks great. Also there's a jazz/negro league baseball museum downtown that I remember being interesting.

MU_all_over

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 09:47:47 AM »
Arthur Bryant's is my personal favorite for BBQ. Get the burnt ends and a Boulevard beer to wash it down. Personally not a fan of Oklahoma Joe's, but people in KC can argue endlessly about which is the best place to go.

Second going to the WWI Museum and Memorial. Jazz museum is kind of disappointing, but the Negro League Museum is amazing. And that's coming from someone who hates baseball. The Nelson-Atkins is also a great art museum to spend a day in and it's free. Never been to the college basketball thing, but it's conveniently next to the arena.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 11:14:08 AM »
Danny Edward's Blvd BBQ has a reputation for being very good especially for burnt ends.  I have not been there but I am looking forward to trying it out in November. Only open 11-3 Mon thru Sat.

http://dannyedwardsblvdbbq.com/index.html
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 10:56:00 AM by SaintPaulWarrior »

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 08:05:15 AM »
Does anyone have a hotel recommendation that is close to the arena? I'll be heading down there and am just wondering if there is a specific hotel everyone was staying at or one that Marquette is suggesting.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 09:19:31 AM »
Does anyone have a hotel recommendation that is close to the arena? I'll be heading down there and am just wondering if there is a specific hotel everyone was staying at or one that Marquette is suggesting.

Sometimes the team hotel can be assumed by the location of the pre-game reception.  However, in this case, it's at a bar across the street from the Sprint Center.

http://muconnect.marquette.edu/Page.aspx?pid=533&cid=7&ceid=341&cerid=0&cdt=11%2f22%2f2010

Not to pass the buck... but if you email or call the Al, they're usually pretty forthcoming about telling you where the team hotel is (or making recommendations).

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 11:29:35 AM »

I am staying at the Westin Crown Center due to using Starwood points for a free room for 4 nights.  It is about a mile south of the Power and Light District where the Sprint Center is located.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 11:50:23 AM »
From MU:

"We are not going to have a hotel package but we are staying the Kansas City Downtown Marriot. If you call for reservations you say you’re coming for the CBE Classic and you're with Marquette. Also say that you would like the Fan Block the rate should be $104. If you have any questions please let me know."

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 10:19:59 AM »
From MU:

"We are not going to have a hotel package but we are staying the Kansas City Downtown Marriot. If you call for reservations you say you’re coming for the CBE Classic and you're with Marquette. Also say that you would like the Fan Block the rate should be $104. If you have any questions please let me know."

Thanks for the info , Blackheart. Just pulled the trigger. Going rate was $179, mentioned MU and they gave me $104. Thought about doing this for a few months, but once I started investigating, I realized this was the "perfect storm" of away games. Awesome opponent (not to mention second game), direct flight for $120, lower bowl seats for $100 and a Marriott a few blocks away for what I pay in taxes going to NYC. Getting so psyched for bball season, I just had to do it. A "W" would make this truly legendary.

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 12:43:09 AM »
Arthur Bryant's is my personal favorite for BBQ. Get the burnt ends and a Boulevard beer to wash it down. Personally not a fan of Oklahoma Joe's, but people in KC can argue endlessly about which is the best place to go.

Second going to the WWI Museum and Memorial. Jazz museum is kind of disappointing, but the Negro League Museum is amazing. And that's coming from someone who hates baseball. The Nelson-Atkins is also a great art museum to spend a day in and it's free. Never been to the college basketball thing, but it's conveniently next to the arena.

Sadly the art museum was closed monday/tuesday . . . but Arthur Bryant's wasn't!  loved the pix of spielberg, sally fields, james spader, and of course sarah palin/john mccain on the walls!!  delicious BBQ, too, of course.  I kinda felt like i was in the "soup nazi" seinfeld episode with the ordering, though

feedback