'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Would you want our seniors back for another year?

Yes
85 (44%)
No
108 (56%)

Total Members Voted: 193

Voting closed: March 15, 2020, 07:27:21 PM

Author Topic: Extra Year for Seniors?  (Read 10450 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Re: Extra Year for Seniors?
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2020, 11:15:02 AM »
i didn't vote because it's not a simple "yes/no" issue.  why couldn't they entertain resuming everything in may of june?  nothing close to the pandemonium we are presently experiencing occurred back in 2009-2010 during the H1N1/swine flu pandemic.  waiting a couple of months should get this under control, maybe even have a vaccine available.  they could have put all this stuff on hold at least until we could see what the ramifications are going to be.  this virus, nor any other strain are going away.

U are absolutely correct.  Complete over reaction.  Even if the arenas are not open they could play at neutral campus arenas.  Finals at the carrier dome, regionals at thompson-boling,etc etc  players only if need be. Complete over reaction by academics. Push it out 3-4 weeks n if the world truly is ending u can cancel it then n make plans for sites etc in the meantime.  Still believe they could have been players only.  They travel on private planes and the issue is not the 100 players n staff in a gym its the other 18,000 that make it a health risk.  Coming from a guy who spoke with 3 emergency room physicians yesterday and a Roche medical researcher. Just sayin
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2020, 11:37:21 AM »
I believe any student athlete affected by the current situation can have an additional year. This would not affect incoming recruits as teams can have both with increased roster limits for the year.  Some would choose not to come back and some would.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2020, 12:05:12 PM »
I would imagine even if this were an option, Markus would move on to making money.

I'd take Jayce and Sacar back for sure. Not sure if they'd be interested.

But this isn't happening. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2020, 12:06:04 PM »
https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status/1238509859856924672?s=21

Happening for spring sports. Possibly for winter...

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2020, 12:18:32 PM »
https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status/1238509859856924672?s=21

Happening for spring sports. Possibly for winter...

There are seniors whose careers were over before everything was cancelled. Why should they get an extra year?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2020, 12:20:26 PM »
There are seniors whose careers were over before everything was cancelled. Why should they get an extra year?

They shouldn't.  And they probably won't. 

It sucks...but giving winter athletes another year would be kind of crazy. 

Makes 100% sense for spring sports. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2020, 12:27:09 PM »

This. It's an unfortunate circumstance, but just not practical.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2020, 12:37:37 PM »
Where can jayce and sacar realistically play and what kinda money ?? Idk i guess some low level euro league for 28k a year

I can't speak to Jayce, but Sacar averaged 13 and 4 for a pretty good team in a top league.  He disappointed a bit down the stretch, but he had good numbers, is a good player, and has nice size.  He won't go right to the EuroLeague or CBA, but he'll have a lot of options.  I could see him in Japan or one of the mid range teams in Spain, France, or Italy.  Hell, look at Luke Fischer, much maligned by many, averaged 10 and 5 as a senior and popped right to a top team in Spain.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2020, 12:57:45 PM »
  If the Logistic are workable, I would vote the seniors affected get another year.  In many ways we live in a "Throw away Society" and at least not attempting a solution would smack of this to me.

It seems to me this could be debated that this is a modified medical hardship extension  for a group rather than an individual.  And as always asterisks are available to note differences.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2020, 01:39:11 PM »
Hell, look at Luke Fischer, much maligned by many, averaged 10 and 5 as a senior and popped right to a top team in Spain.

Kind of speaks volumes about his coaching at MU, doesn’t it 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2020, 01:43:01 PM »
Perhaps not for the major conference players, but for low- and mid-major hoops players, the opportunity to participate in the NCAA Tournament is the ultimate prize.  For some of these players, they only have one shot, most don't come anywhere near the tournament, and so to take that opportunity away - especially from the AQ's that have already won their conference tourneys - this is a dagger through the heart. 

It's a bit difficult for MU fans to understand because we expect to be in the tourney every year, but be mindful of the low major player who worked his ass off for 4 years to see his team with the conference tourney, only to have his dreams taken away.

Though it may be on a case-by-case basis, but the NCAA will allow fifth year petitions for winter sports as a result of tourney cancellations.  Otherwise, wait for the lawsuits to pour in.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2020, 01:43:57 PM »
Kind of speaks volumes about his coaching at MU, doesn’t it

That guys who are role players can go play in top leagues overseas right away?  Yeah, I'd say that's a good thing.  Not quite Cal who gets 6th men taken in the lottery, but you could do worse.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2020, 01:44:31 PM »
I'm sure it won't happen, but imagine trying to top that Markus scoring record if he returned.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2020, 02:00:05 PM »
I'm sure it won't happen, but imagine trying to top that Markus scoring record if he returned.

I thought the same ... could he surpass Maravich?

Howard ended with 2,761 points
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4065805/markus-howard

Maravich record in 3,667

He needs 906 points, or 26/game (assuming 35 games).

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2020, 02:39:04 PM »
I thought the same ... could he surpass Maravich?

Howard ended with 2,761 points
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4065805/markus-howard

Maravich record in 3,667

He needs 906 points, or 26/game (assuming 35 games).

#donedeal
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2020, 06:48:09 PM »
i didn't vote because it's not a simple "yes/no" issue.  why couldn't they entertain resuming everything in may of june?  nothing close to the pandemonium we are presently experiencing occurred back in 2009-2010 during the H1N1/swine flu pandemic.  waiting a couple of months should get this under control, maybe even have a vaccine available.  they could have put all this stuff on hold at least until we could see what the ramifications are going to be.  this virus, nor any other strain are going away.

If you expect a vaccine in a few months, then I fully understand why they only let you operate on rockets.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2020, 07:50:42 PM »
I voted no, but it is not a reflection of "our" seniors. Of course I'd love another year of Markus, Sacar and Jayce.

I just don't see a realistic, equitable way of making that happen across all of college basketball.

Ditto. Great kids, and I'd love to see more of all three in a MU uniform, but it would create even more chaos than we already have.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2020, 08:10:21 PM »

Ditto. Great kids, and I'd love to see more of all three in a MU uniform, but it would create even more chaos than we already have.

I voted no not because I wouldn’t want them back but some player at some point will be need to take the short end of the stick. I think it is less unfair to deny 50% of the remaining last year players one more game, 25% of them two games and so on than to deny other players their turn at minutes the whole year.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 07:41:27 AM by BallBoy »

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2020, 08:31:28 PM »
I’d definitely vote no here. Many players finished their season and the rest would have only had a few games left. What do you do if a kid wants to transfer? Say Markus wants to go play with his buddy Myles? But it seems like from the few posts I’ve seen on social media, the players are all accepting of the situation and have realized some closure on their season.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2020, 08:34:13 PM »
Cant see Markus wanting do do another year
Would love another year of Jayce
Not interested in another year of Sacar, love his character n effort, but not a good enough bball player to win games in the BE
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

DiaperDandy

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2020, 09:09:23 PM »
Perhaps not for the major conference players, but for low- and mid-major hoops players, the opportunity to participate in the NCAA Tournament is the ultimate prize.  For some of these players, they only have one shot, most don't come anywhere near the tournament, and so to take that opportunity away - especially from the AQ's that have already won their conference tourneys - this is a dagger through the heart. 

It's a bit difficult for MU fans to understand because we expect to be in the tourney every year, but be mindful of the low major player who worked his ass off for 4 years to see his team with the conference tourney, only to have his dreams taken away.

Though it may be on a case-by-case basis, but the NCAA will allow fifth year petitions for winter sports as a result of tourney cancellations.  Otherwise, wait for the lawsuits to pour in.

So I can’t speak for basketball athletes, but I can speak for wrestlers.  My co-worker’s son is a senior d1 wrestler.  He qualified for the NCAA tournament and was set to wrestle next weekend in Minneapolis before everything was cancelled.  He has been told by his coach that there is a good chance he will have another year of eligibility next season.  I personally think this is the right thing to do by the NCAA.

The kid busted his ass and made weight all year.  He had a career year and his goal in his final season was to make the podium at the tournament (top 8 are all American).  He was nationally ranked and received a favorable seed for his weight class.  He worked his whole life to get to this point and now he won’t be able to get a chance to do make a run at his dream.  As he was a jucco, he only had two years of eligibility at the d1 level to begin with.  I for one am glad the NCAA is strongly considering granting Senior wrestlers another year.

If they do go forward for wrestlers, I can’t see how they don’t do it for all winter sports athletes as it will open up lawsuits.

For everyone saying, well they played 95 percent of the games and a whole season, to bad, life sucks....think about this...this kid lived wrestling for his university.  He practiced year round and in season twice a day.  He cut weight all season, wrestled through a torn ligament in his knee, all while maintaining a gpa that qualified him as an academic all American.  He put in all of this work to wrestle in the tournament.  This is just one student athlete.  Think of all of the other ones that go through all the work to get to the final tournament of the year and then add to it that for the seniors, this is their last chance.  For those that have never been there and to be that close, it must be so upsetting to end like this.  I hope the NCAA does the right thing here.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2020, 09:30:51 PM »
Life sucks and it isn’t fair.  If seniors get another shot then what about the junior poised to be the go to guy next season?  Why should he lose out on his moment?

The class of 2020 is done with their collegiate careers.  It sucks but it is life.

DiaperDandy

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2020, 09:42:04 PM »
Life sucks and it isn’t fair.  If seniors get another shot then what about the junior poised to be the go to guy next season?  Why should he lose out on his moment?

The class of 2020 is done with their collegiate careers.  It sucks but it is life.

The upcoming junior will still have a chance, at least in regards to wrestling.  The best wrestler will see the mat, regardless of the class he is in.  It would be no different if an incoming freshman outwrestled that junior and took “his spot”.  Give seniors another year and if they aren't the best at their weight class, they won’t wrestle.  It’s that simple.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2020, 10:07:43 PM »
For spring sports they’re treating this season as not having happened at all. So a sophomore this year will maintain sophomore eligibility next year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2020, 10:57:57 PM »

If they do go forward for wrestlers, I can’t see how they don’t do it for all winter sports athletes as it will open up lawsuits.

Well, wrestlers (as well as soccer, lacrosse, volleyball and every other college athlete other than basketball, football, hockey and baseball) are allowed to transfer without having to sit out a year. Have basketball, football, hockey and baseball players sued because such a rule is unfair to them? If so, have any been successful?

Having said that ...

I hear what you are saying.

It seems a little crazy to let people who have completed anywhere from all to 90+% of their senior seasons back for another year, but these are unusual circumstances. From the many articles I have read, it certainly seems the NCAA is seriously considering it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson