'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Martin Ripe for the Picking? Mr. SEC explains why -  (Read 24620 times)

CAGASS24

• All American
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 03:57:23 PM by CAGASS24 »

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
Re: Martin Ripe for the Picking? Mr. SEC explains why -
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 04:02:30 PM »
Again, must I reiterate that the man has never recruited any 4 star players?  He continually recruits 3 star guys.  Why would MU want someone that cannot land top 100 players?  He has Bruce Pearl's recruits as seniors on this team, so the team is not his per say. 

No thanks.  We don't need a regression of talent. 

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 04:02:38 PM »
He doesn't have a single 2015 recruit.  Looking back, if I have my dates right, he's topped out at 3 star recruits.

THIS is what we want over Howland?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 04:04:00 PM »
Plus

Purdue grad

Purdue's current coach just took his team to 12th place in a 12 team league...two straight non NCAA appearances.

brandx

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 04:04:33 PM »
4 & 5-stars don't go to the SEC unless it is Florida or Kentucky.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 04:07:10 PM »
Plus

Purdue grad

Purdue's current coach just took his team to 12th place in a 12 team league...two straight non NCAA appearances.

Also in a long line of average Purdue assistants...Weber, Stallings, Lavin, and Painter.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 04:08:07 PM »
Plus

Purdue grad

CBB, you've posted this in other threads as well. Are you saying Painter's on the hot seat, and Martin might bolt for his alma mater when it happens? Otherwise, I don't understand the relevance.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 04:09:38 PM »
Again, must I reiterate that the man has never recruited any 4 star players? 

He has Phil Cofer coming in next year, who is a 4 star on ESPN.  I would take him.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 04:11:09 PM »
Also in a long line of average Purdue assistants...Weber, Stallings, Lavin, and Painter.

I think Stallings has done just fine.  Coaching at Vanderbilt with their requirements is not easy and they have always had a competitive program.  Weber has been good as well, but certainly not great.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 04:13:39 PM »
Martin would be as much of a disappointment of a hire as Wardle or Weber.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 04:15:11 PM »
I'd be perfectly content with Martin. Took Missouri State from bottom feeder to conference champion. Took the mess left by Bruce Pearl, overachieved each of the past two years (contrary to what Tennessee fans will tell you), and made the sweet 16 this year. Plus his top two assistants are midwest guys.

rabid652

• Walk-On
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 04:17:17 PM »
Damn it.  Can't believe I signed up for an account.  Here goes my life until a coach is picked.

I pointed my buddy CA to that piece.

Lacking any inside knowledge, I like this guy.  I've watched some of their games towards the end of the year (probably because I'm fascinated that Maymon's fat ass is still playing) and they seem like a tough bunch.  

More importantly, he's young, black and has professional playing experience.  If he can relate to players and vice versa, that bodes well for retaining the talent from 2013's class and this falls'.  Normally, I'd say not much of a big deal but Duane Wilson, Deonte and the kids we have signed could carry our program for the next few years.   After that, maybe Martin's recruiting improves (if you operate under the assumption that it's not great now).  

Howland, on the other hand, could scare some players away with nasty stories out of UCLA (BS or not).  I also don't like the whispers of his salary demands.  I don't want this guy enough to pay him Shaka money.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 04:20:30 PM »
Of course he is ripe for the picking.  He was on the hot seat just weeks ago.

AshyLarry

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 04:21:04 PM »
I believe Martin also recruited Robert Hubbs...5 star.  Not that I am in the Martin camp.....yet.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/tennessee/basketball/recruiting/player-Robert-Hubbs-129502;_ylt=AvkseGcx9iW.z34TKoTNIIqbt5B4

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 04:21:55 PM »
Again, must I reiterate that the man has never recruited any 4 star players?  He continually recruits 3 star guys.  Why would MU want someone that cannot land top 100 players?  He has Bruce Pearl's recruits as seniors on this team, so the team is not his per say. 

No thanks.  We don't need a regression of talent. 

Phil Cofer is a 4 star for his 2014 class.

Robert Hubbs was a consensus top 50 player in his 2013 class. He was the #4 SG in the class (JJJ was #3).

Rawane Ndiaye was a top JUCO in his 2013 class.

But other than that, all three star players. And he's in the Sweet 16. He also turned around a dismal Missouri State team.

You are right, his recruiting resume doesn't astound me, but he has never had access to our resources.

He's not my top pick (I think Danny Manning is my top pick) but I think he could turn out great.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 04:22:44 PM »
I'd be perfectly content with Martin. Took Missouri State from bottom feeder to conference champion. Took the mess left by Bruce Pearl, overachieved each of the past two years (contrary to what Tennessee fans will tell you), and made the sweet 16 this year. Plus his top two assistants are midwest guys.

Exactly

Better run. The 1000+ post people are gonna come crucify you..j/k

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 04:22:55 PM »
He might be ripe and might get picked.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 04:27:50 PM »
I believe Martin also recruited Robert Hubbs...5 star.  Not that I am in the Martin camp.....yet.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/tennessee/basketball/recruiting/player-Robert-Hubbs-129502;_ylt=AvkseGcx9iW.z34TKoTNIIqbt5B4

Looks like I missed That's the only top 100 player he's recruited in what,  3 years?  ESPN has him @ 4 star.  He has 2 star recruits on his resume as well.....  that scares me. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 04:29:31 PM »
Plus

Purdue grad

Purdue grad, huh? Aren't you a Boilermaker, too? Or...wait...was that Hoopaloop?

Death on call

rabid652

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 04:30:33 PM »
Hmm...Danny Manning.  At a glance, he would appear to meet my criteria of possibly being able to retain current players and possibly recruits.  Perhaps, more so than Martin.  

Manning's a Kansas guy but I don't think Bill Self is going anywhere soon.

I'm putting these two at the top of my somewhat uninformed list.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 04:30:36 PM »
I think Stallings has done just fine.  Coaching at Vanderbilt with their requirements is not easy and they have always had a competitive program.  Weber has been good as well, but certainly not great.
+1. I've always liked Stallings. My wife is from Bloomington-Normal in central Illinois (ISU campus is there) and the population still raves about his coaching job at Illinois State from 93-99. I'd say he's a close second to Doug Collins down there as far as ISU notoriety.

Sidenote: remember when he brought his Vandy team into Milwaukee a few years back and absolutely torched us? That was brutal.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 04:34:29 PM »
Martin would be as much of a disappointment of a hire as Wardle or Weber.

Yep, as much of a disappointment...and none of the stability if we happen to be wrong.

So lots of potential downside, and no upside because he'd bolt when something bigger comes along.  If we're going to settle for mediocrity, might as well be an assistant who hasn't failed (yet).

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 04:52:18 PM »
There is a danger with hiring the hot commodity this late in March.

A very real danger...
SS Marquette

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 04:53:51 PM »
There is a danger with hiring the hot commodity this late in March.

A very real danger...

What danger do you speak of?

nyg

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 04:54:49 PM »
Looks like I missed That's the only top 100 player he's recruited in what,  3 years?  ESPN has him @ 4 star.  He has 2 star recruits on his resume as well.....  that scares me. 

No, you missed their best player, Jarnell Stokes.  Stokes was a Five Star recruit, who graduated high school in December, 2012.  He immediately joined UT in January.  Stokes would have been a top 10 recruit in the class of 2013 if he would have stayed in high school.  

feedback