[Today at 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[Today at 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[Today at 10:37:13 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ND's Demetrius Jackson To Sit Out, Diasterous ND Season Gets Worse  (Read 11082 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Interesting that ND leaves the BE and we forget about them.  But given all the ND haters here, I'm surprised no one has brought up what a horrendous season they are having.

Currently they are 13-12 overall and 4-8 in the ACC.  They are fighting to stay at least.500 otherwise no NIT or even CBE for them.

Now we get this news about their stud freshman recruit (ESPN #24) ...

Demetrius Jackson to sit out

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10441442/demetrius-jackson-notre-dame-fighting-irish-take-focus-academics

Notre Dame freshman Demetrius Jackson, who was not present when the Irish beat Clemson 68-64 on Tuesday, is taking some time off to focus on academics, the school announced.

"Demetrius had a great fall semester ... he just needs to improve his academic habits [this semester]," coach Mike Brey said.

Asked if Jackson was seeking to transfer from the school, Brey said, "Demetrius Jackson is very committed to Notre Dame."

Jackson's guardian and foster father, Dave Whitfield, agreed, telling WNDU-TV: "He is not transferring."

The 6-foot-1 guard from Mishawaka, Ind., has been struggling on the court, averaging 6.1 points, 2.4 rebounds and 1.8 assists in just over 23 minutes a game. In his last three games, he's scored a total of five points, logging only 11 minutes each against top-ranked Syracuse and North Carolina.

The Fighting Irish (13-12, 4-8 Atlantic Coast Conference) avoided falling below .500 for the first time this late in the season since finishing 14-16 during the 1998-99 season in John MacLeod's last year as coach.

willie warrior

• All American
Re: ND's Demetrius Jackson To Sit Out, Diasterous ND Season Gets Worse
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 02:50:52 PM »
 You are right. I did not even know what their record was until you posted it here. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 02:54:39 PM »
As I hit "post" I remembered to add this to pile on to NDs season ....

Notre Dame star Jerian Grant no longer enrolled in school

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24384977/notre-dame-star-jerian-grant-no-longer-enrolled-in-school

December 22, 2013 6:17 pm ET

Notre Dame star guard Jerian Grant will not be enrolled for the rest of the season due to an academic issue, he announced on Sunday.

“I am no longer part of the basketball program and will not be on the court competing with my teammates for the remainder of the 2013-14 season,” Grant said in a statement.

“I take full responsibility for my lack of good judgment and the poor decision that I made. I have no one to blame but myself for the situation. I know and understand the expectations that go with being a student at Notre Dame and I did not live up to those standards.”

He said he plans to return to Notre Dame following the spring semester, and hopes to play his final season of college basketball in South Bend.

"I understand that there is a process that I must go through in order to come back to school and I will be patient with that process," Grant said.

Grant, a 6-foot-5 redshirt junior, is averaging 19.0 points and 6.2 assists. On Saturday, he went for 18 points and four assists in the Fighting Irish's demoralizing loss to Ohio State. He has been one of the more underrated guards during his three seasons at Notre Dame since redshirting his freshman season.

Without Grant, Mike Brey will still have to rely on his perimeter, but freshman Demetrius Jackson will likely have to shoulder more of a scoring role. He has started seven games this season, but he will need to pick up some of the scoring slack and help Eric Atkins and Pat Connaughton in the backcourt. Moreover, Brey might have to go with a bigger lineup at times, possibly meaning more minutes for Zach Auguste and Tom Knight.

The Fighting Irish are 8-4, with the next game coming against Canisius on Dec. 29.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 03:21:15 PM »
Final thought ...

I sent the Demetrius Jackson link to a friend that is a big ND fan.  He said the word on the ND boards is he might transfer to Illinois.  He plays the same position as former MU target Kendrick Nunn, who is Illinois promising Freshman Guard.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 09:20:09 PM »
Final thought ...

I sent the Demetrius Jackson link to a friend that is a big ND fan.  He said the word on the ND boards is he might transfer to Illinois.  He plays the same position as former MU target Kendrick Nunn, who is Illinois promising Freshman Guard.

I'm, pretty sure that Demetrius Jackson is considered a PG while Nunn -despite his height- is considered more of an 2G.  I'm pretty sure that Illinois would be more interested in a PG than another 2G at this point, as well.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 10:07:14 PM »
Interesting that ND leaves the BE and we forget about them.  But given all the ND haters here, I'm surprised no one has brought up what a horrendous season they are having.

Currently they are 13-12 overall and 4-8 in the ACC.  They are fighting to stay at least.500 otherwise no NIT or even CBE for them.

Now we get this news about their stud freshman recruit (ESPN #24) ...

Demetrius Jackson to sit out

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10441442/demetrius-jackson-notre-dame-fighting-irish-take-focus-academics

Notre Dame freshman Demetrius Jackson, who was not present when the Irish beat Clemson 68-64 on Tuesday, is taking some time off to focus on academics, the school announced.

"Demetrius had a great fall semester ... he just needs to improve his academic habits [this semester]," coach Mike Brey said.

Asked if Jackson was seeking to transfer from the school, Brey said, "Demetrius Jackson is very committed to Notre Dame."

Jackson's guardian and foster father, Dave Whitfield, agreed, telling WNDU-TV: "He is not transferring."

The 6-foot-1 guard from Mishawaka, Ind., has been struggling on the court, averaging 6.1 points, 2.4 rebounds and 1.8 assists in just over 23 minutes a game. In his last three games, he's scored a total of five points, logging only 11 minutes each against top-ranked Syracuse and North Carolina.

The Fighting Irish (13-12, 4-8 Atlantic Coast Conference) avoided falling below .500 for the first time this late in the season since finishing 14-16 during the 1998-99 season in John MacLeod's last year as coach.

River Rat, didn't you coach DJ in AAU ball?

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 10:18:32 PM »
Not directly.  great great kid.   I wouldnt read too much into it.   

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 10:20:50 PM »

Marian grad too.  ;D

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 05:09:50 PM »
I hate seeing it hit the fan in south bend.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 07:09:18 PM »
ND mens fan base is bad. How do you not sell out when UNC comes in.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 11:00:56 PM »

Oh come on Dimes, don't tease us.

silverback

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 03:55:52 AM »
Say what you want about ND, but – whether we're talking football or basketball – they stick to their academic and honor code standards. It's costing them in an age where most D1 schools don't bother to pretend they care about grades.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 04:41:48 AM »
Say what you want about ND, but – whether we're talking football or basketball – they stick to their academic and honor code standards. It's costing them in an age where most D1 schools don't bother to pretend they care about grades.

Maybe on academics, but honor code, HA HA HA.  Their football team has hidden and buried more skeletons.  Certainly, you can point to cases where they got rid of a player, here and there.  All schools can do that.  ND does not have anywhere near an impeccable honor code with student athletes. 

Digger's after hours behavior around town is well known.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 05:37:30 AM »
Say what you want about ND, but – whether we're talking football or basketball – they stick to their academic and honor code standards. It's costing them in an age where most D1 schools don't bother to pretend they care about grades.

I happen to be a ND fan but this post illustrates exactly why so many people hate, absolutely hate, ND.

When ND is doing well, they have this smug "we are just better than everyone else" attitude.
When ND is not doing well, its "we care about ethics and academics ... unlike everyone else."  Please.

Speaking of ND's "Honor Code" ...

** How does allowing raping students fit in that?  Oh, she committed suicide making the investigation too hard so "you're off the hook" and everyone gets to play in the championship season.  Is that how NDs honor code works?

** How does punishing Tommy Rees (QB) for assaulting a police officer fit in that?  I see you're all for "teaching him a lesson" as long as Everett Golson (QB) is eligible.  Then when Golson gets busted plagiarizing (no Everett, cutting and pasting from Wikipedia is not acceptable for a term-paper) you have a hole at starting QB and suddenly Rees has been punished enough and he's back on the team and starting.  What page of the honor code says "punishment depends on your place on the depth chart?"

Face facts, your football players are no different than anyone else.  They are rapists, criminals, weed smokers and class cutters.  So get off your high horse and if you truly want an honor code be like the University of Chicago and drop football.  U of C decided long ago football could not be part of a mission that includes honor and education.  So they left the B1G and were replaced by Northwestern.  

Why I won’t be cheering for old Notre Dame
By Melinda Henneberger   
December 4, 2012 at 11:02 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/she-the-people/wp/2012/12/04/why-i-wont-be-cheering-for-old-notre-dame/

Well, since you asked — and many of my friends have, some more than once — no, I will not be cheering for my alma mater, the University of Notre Dame, to win big-time college football’s championship on Jan. 7. What’s really surprising me are those who believe as I do that two players on the team have committed serious criminal acts – sexual assault in one case, and rape in another — but assumed that I’d support the team anyway, just as they are.

“Aren’t you just a little bit excited?” one asked the other day. There are plenty of good guys on the team, too, I’m repeatedly told. And oh, that Manti Te’o is inspiring. But as a thought exercise, how many predators would have to be on the team before you’d no longer feel like cheering?

-------------

Notre Dame’s Tommy Rees arrested, possibly narrowing the quarterbacking race to three

May 3, 2012 11:24 AM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/notre-dame-tommy-rees-arrest-possibly-narrowing-quarterbacking-152437118.html

According to prosecutors, Rees refused to stop running as officers pursued him. A passing cabdriver pulled over in a position to block Rees, prosecutors said, and Rees lifted his right knee into the lower chest area of an approaching officer, "knocking the wind out of him."

The cabdriver grabbed Rees "in order to keep him from running away," prosecutors said, and Rees was pepper-sprayed when he continued to struggle against police and the cabdriver on the pavement. That resulted in the misdemeanor battery charge for what prosecutors deemed "rude, angry or insolent" contact.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:06:35 AM by Heisenberg »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 07:23:15 AM »
 U of C decided long ago football could no be part of a mission that includes honor and education.  So they left the B1G and were replaced by Northwestern.  

I believe the University of Chicago was replaced in the B1G by Michigan State University.

Nonetheless, the University of Chicago probably had the right idea. And, if Notre Dame had the "right" idea, they would be part of the B1G now, too.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 09:41:56 AM »

Ask Michael Floyd about how DUIs fit into the ND honor code
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 09:46:48 AM »
I believe the University of Chicago was replaced in the B1G by Michigan State University.

Nonetheless, the University of Chicago probably had the right idea. And, if Notre Dame had the "right" idea, they would be part of the B1G now, too.

You are correct on the first count.

The Big Ten would never allow ND in the conference without their football program.  There would be no compelling reason for them to do so.  The ACC is getting some guaranteed non-conference football games as part of the deal, but the Big Ten doesn't need ND for that.  And they don't need to split their non-football revenue an extra way.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 10:16:56 AM »
No school is perfect.  But where most schools in big time football completely ignore honor codes and academics, ND is one of about 5 that stand out for doing it better.  Hate ND all you want, but not many schools do what ND has done with star players on down when it comes to academics.  I respect them for that.  I'd add a few other schools like Northwestern, Stanford, Duke (if they count as a football school), maybe BC (if they still count).

ND is a worse fit in the Big Ten then Northwestern... I'd hope ND never joins the Big Ten.  The future is in the south and the coasts, not in a midwest based conference (Big Ten is still allmost entirely in states that are not the future). 

When the next rounds of realignment happen, in 10 to 15 years when the current TV contracts change, it will be interesting to see where they end up.  I wouldn't be surprised to see ND in a new conference with some ACC teams along a Texas, maybe a BYU.  A new conference with a few heavy weight football teams and with roots in the southeast and south and a BYU for TV.
If this comes about, we may also see the football and non-football conferences emerge again as well to fill in for some local sports.   I like our current BE conference, but I think teams get picked off in the next round, to be added as filler in a new football based conference. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 10:18:49 AM »
No school is perfect.  But where most schools in big time football completely ignore honor codes and academics, ND is one of about 5 that stand out for doing it better. 

Oh stop it.  Really.

They may hold some of their athletes to higher standards academically, but there's enough recent history to show that they overlook a lot of things to benefit their football program.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 01:49:56 PM »

Oh stop it.  Really.

They may hold some of their athletes to higher standards academically, but there's enough recent history to show that they overlook a lot of things to benefit their football program.

Really, with an exclamation point!  Compare them to the top 20 or so programs and what we know goes on.  What happened to ND's top QB before this last season?  How many top football teams do that?  For academics?  So, yes, really!! With a double exclamation point. 

I actually respect schools that haven't completely given up on academics and football:  Stanford, ND, Northwestern, BC, Duke.  Those schools don't even begin to recruit most of the top players because of academics.  Same doesn't apply to the rest of the Big 10, SEC, etc.

Hate them all you want, but in a cesspool, they are at least at the top of it.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2014, 01:54:26 PM »
Really, with an exclamation point!  Compare them to the top 20 or so programs and what we know goes on.  What happened to ND's top QB before this last season?  How many top football teams do that?  For academics?  So, yes, really!! With a double exclamation point. 

I actually respect schools that haven't completely given up on academics and football:  Stanford, ND, Northwestern, BC, Duke.  Those schools don't even begin to recruit most of the top players because of academics.  Same doesn't apply to the rest of the Big 10, SEC, etc.

Notre Dame Football--We're at the top of the cesspool

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2014, 02:00:38 PM »
Really, with an exclamation point!  Compare them to the top 20 or so programs and what we know goes on.  What happened to ND's top QB before this last season?  How many top football teams do that?  For academics?  So, yes, really!! With a double exclamation point.  

I actually respect schools that haven't completely given up on academics and football:  Stanford, ND, Northwestern, BC, Duke.  Those schools don't even begin to recruit most of the top players because of academics.  Same doesn't apply to the rest of the Big 10, SEC, etc.

I wonder what Lizzy Seeberg's family thinks of Notre Dame's "honor code?"

Look, I really don't care all that much about Notre Dame - I don't watch them play, and really don't care if they win or lose especially now that they aren't in the BE.  But when I hear people spew about honor codes and all that bullsh*t, while failing to acknowledge pretty straightforward evidence that they can be ignored when it is convenient for them, well....that just makes them hypocritical.  There's no honor in hypocrisy.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 02:14:27 PM »

I wonder what Lizzy Seeberg's family thinks of Notre Dame's "honor code?"

Look, I really don't care all that much about Notre Dame - I don't watch them play, and really don't care if they win or lose especially now that they aren't in the BE.  But when I hear people spew about honor codes and all that bullsh*t, while failing to acknowledge pretty straightforward evidence that they can be ignored when it is convenient for them, well....that just makes them hypocritical.  There's no honor in hypocrisy.

I don't care enough to continue this thread either beyond this post either. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 03:48:44 PM »
If this comes about, we may also see the football and non-football conferences emerge again as well to fill in for some local sports.   I like our current BE conference, but I think teams get picked off in the next round, to be added as filler in a new football based conference. 

I can't figure out why you'd think that members of the current Big East would leave the conference in order to be "fill ins for local sports" in a football centric conference.  Is it because the old Big East worked so well?

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 03:50:23 PM »
I can't figure out why you'd think that members of the current Big East would leave the conference in order to be "fill ins for local sports" in a football centric conference.  Is it because the old Big East worked so well?

Not to mention, why the football centric conference would want them.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2014, 04:53:13 PM »
Really, with an exclamation point!  Compare them to the top 20 or so programs and what we know goes on.  What happened to ND's top QB before this last season? How many top football teams do that?  For academics?  So, yes, really!! With a double exclamation point.  

I actually respect schools that haven't completely given up on academics and football:  Stanford, ND, Northwestern, BC, Duke.  Those schools don't even begin to recruit most of the top players because of academics.  Same doesn't apply to the rest of the Big 10, SEC, etc.

In addition to ND, these schools suspended their QBs for the just completed season.

* Uconn - suspended Cody Endres for the season for an unspecified violation of university policies.
* Virginia - suspended Alabama transfer Philip Sims for the season because he was academically ineligible.
* UNC - QB Marquise Williams left school last spring after receiving an academic suspension
* Air Force - QB Jaleel Awini was suspended immediately and kicked out the academy last September
* Duke - suspended its leading rusher (ok not a QB) Jela Duncan due to academics for the Chick-fil-A bowl last December and all next year

If I go back to previous years I can find dozens more examples.

So stop pretending like ND is unique.  Wait it is ... none of the above schools that suspended their starting QB (or RB in the case of Duke) replaced them with a guy that punched-out a local policeman (like Tommy Rees).

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2014, 09:35:27 AM »

Like i said, " dont read toomuch into it"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2014, 10:35:27 AM »
Rat, I hear the Joe had its biggest run in years last fall. Did you get out?

Good thing for Jackson being on the bench with the absolutely miserable season ND is having. They really, really, really suck this year.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2014, 06:44:09 PM »
Rat, I hear the Joe had its biggest run in years last fall. Did you get out?

Good thing for Jackson being on the bench with the absolutely miserable season ND is having. They really, really, really suck this year.

Yes, i dont fish for the steelhead or salmonids too much though.  Used to be bigger into, but not so much anymore,  i tend to go for the smallies and walleye.  I tend to spend a good portion of my fall in a tree stand or duck blind.  Will start hitting the walleye again in the next couple of weeks

http://www.rippleguides.com/

If your interested... A lifelong friend
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 07:04:04 PM by River rat »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2014, 07:21:58 PM »
Steelhead are a gas.  Fished the by the dam, all the way down to Kamms Island.  Great spot by the bifurcation. 

Used to go out with a kid from Mish, a SB cop by the name of Kruegrer.  He was a good guide.

The MUPD thread hits home.  Tom Roberts was a long time friend from St. Monica's.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2014, 10:22:51 PM »
Also a good area for spring walleye n smallies.  As the summer goes on we move north n spend alot of time in Michigan all the way up to St. Joe/ BH. I normally spend 20-30 days a year on the Joe. Spend alot of time on maxi, the tippy, and the big lake as well
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:26:03 PM by River rat »

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2014, 05:31:01 PM »
ND has home games left against Georgia Tech and Pitt before going on the road to North Carolina.  They must win two of the three to avoid a losing regular season record.

feedback