[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Million dollar gift to MUBB  (Read 14699 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Million dollar gift to MUBB
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2019, 04:06:52 PM »
Maybe you should donate vast sums or offer to if they pull the plug on the mediocrity you see.  Take out an ad, or perhaps become the commencement speaker where you can publicly launch the campaign.
Keep slurping the wojo  kool aid. After all we are trending upward with the most recent events
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

burger

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2019, 04:15:24 PM »
CREE was a very good deal at $2 when they had "exclusive" technology all the way up to $120ish....

Now everyone has caught up.....

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2019, 04:25:01 PM »
Here you go...
Created in 2014 by Opus Dean Kristina Ropella, Marquette’s Opus College of Engineering has a nationally recognized, award-winning leadership development program called Engineers in the Lead, or E-Lead. The Swobodas will dedicate $1 million of their gift toward Innovation Alley programming to immediately double the size of the three-year leadership program. In fall 2019, the program will consist of 20 engineering students and 20 students from disciplines across the university. The 40 students will begin as a cohort and a new set of 40 students will follow each additional year.

Thanks! As a Business school grad, I always keep my fingers crossed to hear an announcement of a new school. I’ll keep doing my part by buying a lottery ticket.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2019, 09:29:39 PM »
CREE was a very good deal at $2 when they had "exclusive" technology all the way up to $120ish....

Now everyone has caught up.....

Good time to retire and create a foundation, aina?  Great job building by Chuck.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2019, 11:05:07 PM »
Keep slurping the wojo  kool aid. After all we are trending upward with the most recent events

Money talks and bs walks...better start to use those $$$
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2019, 11:07:29 PM »
Doubtful. If they are buddies of Wojo as some here have posted, it likely means that the BOT wants to maintain the vanilla mediocrity of Wojo as exemplified by his season ending meltdown, fiasco of the Hausers, and thoroughly outclassed by a 12 seed mid major in first round of Dance.
At any rate. it was a nice gift.

You bitched about Crean

You bitches about Buzz

You just aren’t happy
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2019, 08:23:55 AM »
Question about the Innovation Alley piece that got $1M. I know that is what the plan is for the future business school and connecting with the engineering school. Is this money meant for an engineering program? Or is it for the creation of the business school?

Innovation was going to be a physical space connecting the Engineering school and the new B-school that was going to be put where the Rec Center currently is. However, it now appears the B-School is going to be put where McCormick is so I doubt there are going to do a physical bridge between the two.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2019, 12:11:57 PM »
Innovation was going to be a physical space connecting the Engineering school and the new B-school that was going to be put where the Rec Center currently is. However, it now appears the B-School is going to be put where McCormick is so I doubt there are going to do a physical bridge between the two.

I thought it was established that the new rec center is going to be where McCormick is currently.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2019, 12:22:19 PM »
I thought it was established that the new rec center is going to be where McCormick is currently.

That's what the Master plan said....that plan was since changed as the result of some initial funding proposals from a donor, that donor is since out but the plan change is still in effect.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2019, 12:29:46 PM »
That's what the Master plan said....that plan was since changed as the result of some initial funding proposals from a donor, that donor is since out but the plan change is still in effect.

That's too bad, I thought it would be an excellent place for the new rec center. I always liked that the residential/social part of MU was on the north side of Wisconsin Avenue and the academic portion on the south side.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2019, 12:31:48 PM »

Didn't the original plan also call for a bridge connecting the new engineering building to the old ones across 16th St.?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2019, 01:12:27 PM »
Hell, $2.5 gets ya inta Yale and maybee Stanford deez daze, hey?

Any idea how Lovell actually does with the big money fishing?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2019, 06:09:24 PM »
You bitched about Crean

You bitches about Buzz

You just aren’t happy
I am happy. The jury Is now on on Wojoos coaching  acumen. He is mediocre. Everybody realizes it, some  like you  continue to make excuses for him. So  we know exactly where people stand
Thay should make one and all very happy.
BTW for the record, ratings of Mu coaches starting with Al
Al legend, an all time great
Hank pretty damn good
Rick above avg. Fans drove him away
Dukiet terrible
Newell a fiasco
O' Neil pretty good
Crean above average
Deane a bit above average
Buzz pretty good  but so full of bull crap he deserves whatever happens to him
Wojo the millenials choice because of his high tech skills  but totally mediocre which gits with millenial philosophy
My apologies to one and all if I missed anybody and the chronological otder.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2019, 08:06:42 PM »
I am happy. The jury Is now on on Wojoos coaching  acumen. He is mediocre. Everybody realizes it, some  like you  continue to make excuses for him. So  we know exactly where people stand
Thay should make one and all very happy.
BTW for the record, ratings of Mu coaches starting with Al
Al legend, an all time great
Hank pretty damn good
Rick above avg. Fans drove him away
Dukiet terrible
Newell a fiasco
O' Neil pretty good
Crean above average
Deane a bit above average
Buzz pretty good  but so full of bull crap he deserves whatever happens to him
Wojo the millenials choice because of his high tech skills  but totally mediocre which gits with millenial philosophy
My apologies to one and all if I missed anybody and the chronological otder.

Yet if I go back and read your comments you bitched constantly about some of those guys you say above average or good.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2019, 07:56:11 AM »
Anyone else find it .. strange .. that someone gives 7 figures to a basketball program?  I mean, I understand sloshing some blue & gold money around, but 7 figures is in the real "philanthropy" arena.

The MUBB program consistently turns millions in profit.  With this, it seems it'll just spin off an additional $1.5m to fund other sports, so I guess there's that.

Just sayin .. of the universe of things you can do with your charity picking what, at its core is an entertainment business seems like an odd charitable priority.

(And yes, while there can be tremendous benefits to the "student athlete" and learning teamwork skills, the billions of dollars that slosh around college sports isn't about scholarly assistance, it's mostly entertainment.)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2019, 08:00:41 AM »
Nope, not strange in one bit.

Especially if other dollars are also donated elsewhere.  B-ball May make a profit, but it goes to fund the other unprofitable 13 sports.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2019, 08:07:29 AM »
Anyone else find it .. strange .. that someone gives 7 figures to a basketball program?  I mean, I understand sloshing some blue & gold money around, but 7 figures is in the real "philanthropy" arena.

The MUBB program consistently turns millions in profit.  With this, it seems it'll just spin off an additional $1.5m to fund other sports, so I guess there's that.

Just sayin .. of the universe of things you can do with your charity picking what, at its core is an entertainment business seems like an odd charitable priority.

(And yes, while there can be tremendous benefits to the "student athlete" and learning teamwork skills, the billions of dollars that slosh around college sports isn't about scholarly assistance, it's mostly entertainment.)

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but 1) he is tied pretty strongly to MU hoops, and 2) he also contributes to a lot of other charitable causes as well.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2019, 08:14:53 AM »

^ban dis guy

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2019, 08:51:31 AM »

The ageist anti-millenial crap that you spew is just plain wrong.  I am a millenial, and there is NOTHING about millenials that suggest we are ok with mediocrity.  We want to win REALLY badly.  We just also have an understanding that "win at all costs" is an insane, unrealistic, and often immoral philosophy.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2019, 08:55:20 AM »
The ageist anti-millenial crap that you spew is just plain wrong.  I am a millenial, and there is NOTHING about millenials that suggest we are ok with mediocrity.  We want to win REALLY badly.  We just also have an understanding that "win at all costs" is an insane, unrealistic, and often immoral philosophy.

That’s ok, he is on the other side where his memory is completely shot.  Newell, was never even our coach and he lists him.  Majerus, who was a fine coach as an assistant and outside MU, never got to the ncaa tournament....something he screams about with Wojo who has made 2 of the last 3... the irony.  Rick also had trouble landing the top players in the state which he and others also bitch about with Wojo.  Rick had one season of 20 wins, and needed the NIT victories to get there.  So take his and other complainers with a massive grain of salt. 

PS.  I respect the hell out of Rick as a coach and tactician, that doesn’t mean he was successful at MU as a head coach

« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 08:56:55 AM by Cheeks »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2019, 09:18:09 AM »

Technically it's not ageist. Ageism only works going up not going down.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2019, 09:19:43 AM »

Men's basketball is the most profitable corner of Marquette. The more money that makes, the more the rest of the university makes. So while it's core may be entertainment, it benefits education.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2019, 09:39:09 AM »
Men's basketball is the most profitable corner of Marquette. The more money that makes, the more the rest of the university makes. So while it's core may be entertainment, it benefits education.

Imagine what Marquette would be like if they never had a strong basketball program.  When they hired Al, Marquette was largely a commuter school that had very few students outside of a 100-mile radius.  Outside that circle, who had even heard of Marquette, especially if you weren't Catholic?

How many buildings on campus existed before 1964?  How big was the endowment? 
Have some patience, FFS.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2019, 10:20:47 AM »
Imagine what Marquette would be like if they never had a strong basketball program.  When they hired Al, Marquette was largely a commuter school that had very few students outside of a 100-mile radius.  Outside that circle, who had even heard of Marquette, especially if you weren't Catholic?

How many buildings on campus existed before 1964?  How big was the endowment?

Same for a little school in South Bend, Indiana.  A little school in Spokane, WA, etc, etc

Agree completely. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2019, 11:04:59 AM »
I'm on record as saying MU needs to realize the importance of men's basketball, not just to the other non-revenue sports, but for the overall enhancement, benefit, and improvement of the entire University.
At this point in time, however, I think you're embellishing Marquette's place in the scheme of higher education relative to its competitors.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback