[Today at 10:48:22 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 10:38:12 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 10:31:55 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by lawdog77
[Today at 07:08:02 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Lockout looming?  (Read 4301 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
NFL Lockout looming?
« on: December 04, 2010, 12:59:31 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5882717

Two paragraphs that make me cringe.

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The NFL players' union is advising its members to prepare for a lockout it expects to come in March, telling players to save their last three game checks this year in case there is no season in 2011.

Save 3, spend the rest!!!

New England linebacker Tully Banta-Cain said he was already squirreling away his savings in case of a lockout. Banta-Cain said he was also working on his outside businesses, which include a clothing line and a music label.

"I'm trying to prepare," he said. "And I'm trying to establish my off-the-field businesses and make sure I can make money in the offseason."

Awesome, thousands of new clothing lines and music labels!!!  When will people learn?

ATWizJr

• All American
Re: NFL Lockout looming?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 01:55:33 PM »
That'll give the Vikings plenty of time to pack the wagons for LA.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 04:34:53 PM »
As many of you know, we pay the NFL about $1 billion a year for our NFL rights.  We are preparing diligently that there will be a lockout.  It will be resolved at some point, but preparing for the worst.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 05:17:21 PM »
The NFLPA is constantly telling their players to save money. This is nothing new.

While there could be an offseason/training camp work stoppage...If the NFL loses any games to a lockout, I will eat my shoe. It just isnt going to happen.

There is alot of rhetoric/half truths that surround this story, and most if it is coming from the union's side...shocking, right?

I have thought this for some time...with the Super Bowl being in Dallas this year, and Jerry Jones being such a strong force on the NFL side of the table, I would not be surprised if a new deal is announced during Super Bowl week with Jerry front row center with Goodell and De Smith at the press conference. Just thinking out loud...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 05:47:44 PM »
I would be stunned if there is an announcement at the Super Bowl.

The bigger one to watch out for is the NBA Lockout which I would eat your shoe if there AREN'T games that are missed.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 04:07:05 AM »
If it means stopping this stupid 18 game schedule idea, I'm all in favor of a lockout.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 11:28:33 AM »
If it means stopping this stupid 18 game schedule idea, I'm all in favor of a lockout.

We think 18 games are going to happen, we are preparing our systems as if that's the case.

We also believe there is very little chance in hell that this thing is over by the Super Bowl. 

Here's the thing most people don't realize.  DIRECTV, CBS, FOX, ESPN all have to pay the NFL the television rights next year season or not.  That's right....not one football game played, doesn't matter.  The NFL gets their money.  So the owners will still get billions next September as they always do...they will not be in a cash strapped position.  The only thing missing out for them is ticket and sponsorship money, but they also won't have expenditures to deal with like player salaries, etc.

This could all go many ways, but I would be stunned if it's settled by the Super Bowl, absolutely stunned.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 12:32:41 PM »

Love 18 games....more football the better.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 01:37:09 PM »

+1. we don't need 4 pre-season games?

Awesome, thousands of new clothing lines and music labels!!!  When will people learn?

Isn't varying your business "learning"? that way a player will have opportunities to make money if there isnt any football?
Why do you care if its Music and clothing?

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 02:03:47 PM »

No arguments there, but between the NFL's concern for concussions and the perfect scheduling arrangement they currently have, 18 games is a massive misstep.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 02:05:53 PM »
No arguments there, but between the NFL's concern for concussions and the perfect scheduling arrangement they currently have, 18 games is a massive misstep.

Disagree to some extent.  They're playing 16 games plus 4 (sometimes 5) preseason games.

The proposal is go to 18 games and 2 preseason games.

Granted, starters don't play all of the preseason games, but football players of some kind do and they're all susceptible to concussions and such.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 02:24:58 PM »

How is the current scheduling arrangement "perfect?"  And the concern for concussions thing...I honestly don't see it as that much of a marginal risk.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 03:02:51 PM »

schedule with 18- 6 conference games and 3 other conferences

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 03:25:39 PM »
Isn't varying your business "learning"? that way a player will have opportunities to make money if there isnt any football?
Why do you care if its Music and clothing?

Because it is asinine.  How many of those investments put out any sort of return.

Name me 5 NFL players that have successful clothing lines and music companies that turn any sort of profit.

I'll be brutally honest, it is about the players being 'baller' and trying to find the next guy they can say they hang around with.

It is no small wonder that we hear about all these NFL players ending up in the poor house 5 years after they retire.

In the new CBA, the NFLPA should require all rookies to talk with a financial planner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 03:55:45 PM »
schedule with 18- 6 conference games and 3 other conferences

Divisions..but yeah.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 06:18:33 PM »
We think 18 games are going to happen, we are preparing our systems as if that's the case.

We also believe there is very little chance in hell that this thing is over by the Super Bowl. 

Here's the thing most people don't realize.  DIRECTV, CBS, FOX, ESPN all have to pay the NFL the television rights next year season or not.  That's right....not one football game played, doesn't matter.  The NFL gets their money.  So the owners will still get billions next September as they always do...they will not be in a cash strapped position.  The only thing missing out for them is ticket and sponsorship money, but they also won't have expenditures to deal with like player salaries, etc.

This could all go many ways, but I would be stunned if it's settled by the Super Bowl, absolutely stunned.

You must work for the NFLPA.   ;)

That has little impact. The NFL is required to pay that money back in future years if games are lost. Its not free money.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2010, 07:38:11 PM »
You must work for the NFLPA.   ;)

That has little impact. The NFL is required to pay that money back in future years if games are lost. Its not free money.

Not really pay it back, but rather credit it against future games that will be televised.  My point was none of the owners are going to be feeling much financial pain in this because they will be sitting on a ton of money from the broadcasters until the deal is worked out.  Now, the players certainly have a lot of money, too, but then again knowing many of these guys there are more than a few that don't have the best financial acumen (at least it's not like the NBA where I'm amazed some of these guys have a $1 after their career). 

The much larger war chest is with the owners.

Our hope is everything is resolved by the draft which is typically in late April.  We'll see how it all plays out.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 02:19:09 AM »

How is the current scheduling arrangement "perfect?" 

Because it's so simple. 6 divisional games, 4 games against everyone in one of the other three divisions in your conference, 4 against a division against the other conference, and 2 against everyone who finished in the same place as you in your conference.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 07:33:14 AM »
Because it's so simple. 6 divisional games, 4 games against everyone in one of the other three divisions in your conference, 4 against a division against the other conference, and 2 against everyone who finished in the same place as you in your conference.

Schedule is good, but playoff seeding needs to be put under the microscope. The Rams/Cardinals should take care of that issue this year.

Four division winners and top 2 non-winners get in, then seed those six accordingly through records/tiebreakers. A potentially 12-4 Saints team going to the 7-9 or 8-8 Rams in the playoffs is absurd.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 07:57:08 AM »
The Union also has the power to stop a lockout, through the decertification process. It would be a drastic move, but if they truly want to avoid a lockout, they can stop it from happening.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 07:29:35 PM »
The Union also has the power to stop a lockout, through the decertification process. It would be a drastic move, but if they truly want to avoid a lockout, they can stop it from happening.

Yup....labor relations 101.  They can stop it, some teams have already voted on it.  Don't think it will happen in the end.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 07:31:10 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 07:05:59 AM »
Schedule is good, but playoff seeding needs to be put under the microscope. The Rams/Cardinals should take care of that issue this year.

Four division winners and top 2 non-winners get in, then seed those six accordingly through records/tiebreakers. A potentially 12-4 Saints team going to the 7-9 or 8-8 Rams in the playoffs is absurd.

Home playoff games are free money for an owner.  Extra game, ticket prices are higher, and they don't actually pay the players out of their pocket.  There's no way that the owners get together and approve of taking away a home playoff game from a division winner.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

feedback