collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Lovell releases new statement re: McAdams  (Read 44350 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Lovell releases new statement re: McAdams
« Reply #325 on: April 10, 2016, 12:16:44 PM »
I have answered the question repeatedly.  You choose to ignore it.  (Except for telling me what the CEO of Zipcar would do.   ::) )  If you disagree with my response, that's fine.  However don't act like it hasn't been addressed.

THE HORROR!!!!  This will have little impact on MU overall.  Only will serve to reinforce people who are "outraged."

LOL.  I hope he finds a way to sleep at night.

He did great.  Hope he does it again.  Just hope that the likes of Chicos and yourself have a fainting couch handy.

We had  leadership offsite last week and one of our guests was Danae Ringelmann, a founder of indiegogo. Like Robin Chase of Zipcar, Danae has superb academic credentials and has built a billion dollar tech enterprise from scratch.

And while her focus with us was on detailing the culture that she and her co-founders wanted and have implemented at Indiegogoshe did speak to the absolute necessity for responsible, informed communication - especially from leadership.

I am a fairly intelligent and actually rather discerning guy and from what I heard business leaders like Robin, Danae, Fred Kerrest, Phil Libin of Evernote, and Spence Rascoff of Zillow tell me personally in the past week confirms my view on just how terribly Marquette and Lovell have handled all of this.

You dismiss Robin Chase but I see a woman who isn't just well educated and has incredible success in business but who has a singularly compelling mind which redefines the paradigm of opportunity, risk, and culture.

In advance of meeting her I got a copy of her latest book, Peers Inc and found it to be an essential addition to the library on engineered change through disruptive, transformative technology.

I can try to get you to see this but I hear in your words a stunningly simple grasp of technology and its actual inherent value. You see Twitter as a broadcast medium. I see it as a tool. Either you get that distinction or you do not.

So while you claim to have answered the question, and while I do not disagree that you believe you have, I challenge you to think through what the real real question is.

You can dismiss Robin Chase but I see in her a visionary who has a genuine understanding of technology and how to harness its real value.

http://www.robinchase.org/#every-day-create-the-world-you-want-to-live-in

I have never, ever been an advocate of the whole business of self-help business writing. But genuine thinkers like Robin and Danae have something to say and a great way to say it. Moreover, they have actually done something.   

Perhaps the academic world is different than the tech vertical. But I would hasten to point out that my two other alma maters never, ever are the focus of such unwanted attention as is Marquette.

Again, before you claim to have answered the question make sure you, in fact, actually know what the real question is.

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #326 on: April 10, 2016, 01:29:33 PM »
From what I have read from sox he is neither that bright nor is he terribly open-minded. He does make a lot of noise, though.

in other words, a long ways to go before he can charge $500/hour hey...na?
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #327 on: April 10, 2016, 01:33:17 PM »

You dismiss Robin Chase but I see a woman who isn't just well educated and has incredible success in business but who has a singularly compelling mind which redefines the paradigm of opportunity, risk, and culture.

I'm not dismissing Robin Chase one bit.  I am dismissing the notion that how she approaches leadership and communications at her company can be exactly applied to Marquette or a higher education institution. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #328 on: April 10, 2016, 01:36:25 PM »

I'm not dismissing Robin Chase one bit.  I am dismissing the notion that how she approaches leadership and communications at her company can be exactly applied to Marquette or a higher education institution.

I will agree that a tech enterprise has different imperatives than Marquette or any other university.

But the question remains the how, what, and why of communications. That is constant across verticals.

Death on call

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #329 on: April 10, 2016, 02:22:14 PM »
I agree. Lovell had a brand to protect and he did not.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #330 on: April 10, 2016, 02:26:06 PM »
....but if they somehow get rid of McAdams they can continue the canard that Marquette is a Catholic University, because there will be no one who will speak to the hypocrisy, which I believe is their ultimate goal.

http://www.louisjolietsociety.com/secularization/signs-and-symptoms/

Thanks, Chico. I'll contribute to these folks rather than MU this time around. I find it curious that all the higher ups at MU have "Protected e-mail" I guess we the unwashed have no direct access to these folks.

You are welcome.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #331 on: April 10, 2016, 02:34:28 PM »
in other words, a long ways to go before he can charge $500/hour hey...na?

Speaking of which, our esteemed litigator has vacated the premises. Now that the Marquette season has ended he can go back to following the happenings of his beloved Badger football.

Mutaman: Enlightened, Compassionate Defense

Death on call

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #332 on: April 11, 2016, 08:28:06 AM »
Man, I stepped out of this thread 5 days ago think it was all wrapped up and nobody was going to budge........good call on my part  ;) 8-)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #333 on: April 11, 2016, 09:44:15 AM »
I do have a reasonable amount of PR experience and Lovell's tweet is like me yelling NOOOOO when a guest at a party knocks something to the floor and it seems to take 10 minutes to fall.

Nothing good ever comes from Twitter.  It just invites emotional outbursts and poorly crafted thoughts.  It extends issues past their natural shelf-life.  Because of its immediacy and inability to place a message in context, Twitter messaging requires a higher degree of communications planning and strategy than any other form, but it never happens that way.

Needlessly getting a negative editorial in the nation's most subscribed newspaper because of a Twitter post is stupid on stilts.  Some here may not like the WSJ's editorial take, but it is a page that legitimizes an issue for debate and consideration to a broad swath of the public.   Most of that public won't care, but it doesn't put a positive thought regarding Marquette in the back of their minds.  Is that the worst thing ever...probably not, but it takes a lot of positive messaging to overcome a bad first impression.

Lovell needed to be the bigger person and leave McAdams to rot on his blog with his 15 readers.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 09:49:10 AM by Badgerhater »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #334 on: April 11, 2016, 10:31:58 AM »
I do have a reasonable amount of PR experience and Lovell's tweet is like me yelling NOOOOO when a guest at a party knocks something to the floor and it seems to take 10 minutes to fall.

Nothing good ever comes from Twitter.  It just invites emotional outbursts and poorly crafted thoughts.  It extends issues past their natural shelf-life.  Because of its immediacy and inability to place a message in context, Twitter messaging requires a higher degree of communications planning and strategy than any other form, but it never happens that way.

Needlessly getting a negative editorial in the nation's most subscribed newspaper because of a Twitter post is stupid on stilts.  Some here may not like the WSJ's editorial take, but it is a page that legitimizes an issue for debate and consideration to a broad swath of the public.   Most of that public won't care, but it doesn't put a positive thought regarding Marquette in the back of their minds.  Is that the worst thing ever...probably not, but it takes a lot of positive messaging to overcome a bad first impression.

Lovell needed to be the bigger person and leave McAdams to rot on his blog with his 15 readers.

Couldn't give you a bigger Amen, but the defenders will tell you how smart MU and Lovell are on this.  How using this medium is genius.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #335 on: April 11, 2016, 11:42:19 AM »

Actually, very well said...especially for a knuckle dragging 11B

Death on call

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #336 on: April 11, 2016, 01:38:57 PM »
Lovells job is to raise money for the school. People with big money to donate are tired of the PC crap and want to see someone with a nutsack who will stand up to it.

Opportunity Lost in my book.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #337 on: April 11, 2016, 01:46:42 PM »
Lovells job is to raise money for the school. People with big money to donate are tired of the PC crap and want to see someone with a nutsack who will stand up to it.

Opportunity Lost in my book.

That is part of his job. Not all of it.

Leadership is about more than bending to the person who writes the biggest check. Maybe not in Washington DC, but it should be at MU.

You can argue about the merits of Lovell's actions. There are some compelling arguments that have been made against what he did, including what BadgerHater wrote above. However, fundraising is not one of them. Someone with a nutsack doesn't bend because of fear of losing money.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #338 on: April 11, 2016, 02:08:22 PM »
That is part of his job. Not all of it.

Leadership is about more than bending to the person who writes the biggest check. Maybe not in Washington DC, but it should be at MU.

You can argue about the merits of Lovell's actions. There are some compelling arguments that have been made against what he did, including what BadgerHater wrote above. However, fundraising is not one of them. Someone with a nutsack doesn't bend because of fear of losing money.

I wonder how much MU will be paying in attorney fees when MsAdams' goes to court.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #339 on: April 11, 2016, 02:09:06 PM »
I wonder how much MU will be paying in attorney fees when MsAdams' goes to court.

Shouldn't enter Lovell's decision-making process.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #340 on: April 11, 2016, 02:10:40 PM »
Lovell's Tweet was not the cause of the WSJ editorial.  It would have occurred anyway because McAdams' friends in the right leaning media (and he has many) want to use this case as a cause celebre because it fits into the narrative about the suppression of free speech on campuses nationwide.   As Lovell has stated many times, this case has absolutely nothing to do with free speech and everything to do with a faculty member that abused his authority.  We're only 4 years removed from the University rescinding the Deanship of Arts & Sciences for the polar opposite reason of this situation.  I know it's not the same administration now but the notion that Lovell, who attends Mass almost every day from what I understand, is actively suppressing conservative speech on campus is ludicrous so I take him at his word.  Any reporter that does the slightest big of research on our institution would recognize that immediately, but the right leaning press isn't going to let the facts get in the way of this fitting into their narrative unfortunately.  Yes this is a PR Fiasco of the first order, but I'm absolutely certain that MU could have retained the best crisis communications executives in the country to see them through this and it would have made virtually no difference.  I say all this as a very right leaning person politically (although not on social issues) but to the extent that I think tenure is BS, public sector unions should be illegal and that Academia should function like the private sector as much as possible, this will not go away until 1 of two things happen.  McAdams is fired, or the University re-instates him effective immediately.  At this point, I'm comfortable with either outcome.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #341 on: April 11, 2016, 02:37:25 PM »
Odds that "Disco Hippie" is Robert A. Wild SJ?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #342 on: April 11, 2016, 03:20:38 PM »
Shouldn't enter Lovell's decision-making process.

i think it better, somewhat, because i don't think he has a blank check and it's not his money.  what if this were to cost $10 million?  $20 million?  many companies weigh out the risk/rewards before choosing how aggressive they may or may not get.  i would hope he does the same

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #343 on: April 11, 2016, 04:21:26 PM »

MU82 was the Disco Hippie

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #344 on: April 11, 2016, 09:13:23 PM »

Disco Hippie graduated the same year I did, definitely not Father Wild. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #345 on: April 11, 2016, 10:14:27 PM »

A man can dream

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #346 on: April 11, 2016, 11:35:12 PM »

Was he? I mean, was he a disco hippie dude?

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #347 on: April 12, 2016, 03:34:05 PM »

we had a guy in my class referred to as "disco neck"  had a neck like a giraffe and wore those silky(disco) shirts with pictures on them.  chili-you'll have to ask tom about him-harmless, but someone couldn't resist(not me)

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #348 on: April 12, 2016, 06:21:35 PM »
Perhaps it's time to unchain The Zizzo Group to sort out this PR mess...

OMG!  By all that is holy, do NOT unchain the Z Beast!!  Please!
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #349 on: April 14, 2016, 02:30:40 PM »

OMG!  By all that is holy, do NOT unchain the Z Beast!!  Please!

I think that when McAdams hears that Lovell is taking Anne Zizzo off the leash he will know that not only are the gloves coming off but that he is well and truly f#cked.

God help him...

Death on call