collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Worse than a MU/Loyola Billboard...  (Read 9675 times)

Benny B

• All American
Worse than a MU/Loyola Billboard...
« on: September 07, 2016, 02:24:30 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/education/2016/09/07/lewd-banner-near-uw-la-crosse-goes-viral/89959802/

By no means am I defending the act here... though certainly not illegal, the banner was in extremely poor taste, and if it were my kid, I'd be embarrassed by the decision he made.  But I'm having a hard time understanding how something like this, in and of itself, "promotes a campus rape culture."  Does UW-L have a 'rape culture,' or is that just the nom du jour to describe horny college-aged men these days?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Worse than a MU/Loyola Billboard...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 02:30:02 PM »
I think "rape culture" is an unfortunate term.  However I think this goes beyond simply horny, college-aged men. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 02:37:13 PM »
I think "rape culture" is an unfortunate term.  However I think this goes beyond simply horny, college-aged men.

Agreed.  Being a horny college kid is one thing...but putting up a billboard advertising it takes it a step too far.  Still, not sure that really poor judgment by a couple of students equals a "rape culture."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 03:10:05 PM »
I'm glad you posted this Benny, I was struggling with that characterization as well. It's lewd and in poor taste but based purely on the reaction it seems to have generated it does the opposite of creating a culture of rape.

For the record, even the statement itself is not "rapey" per se.

Is it more or less rapey than this billboard?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 03:10:40 PM »

Agreed.
I struggle with the extent to which "rape culture" really exists, though certainly there are examples out there that tend to lend credence to those who say it does. This, though, isn't one of those examples. This is just some crude idiots being crude idiots.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 03:14:15 PM »
I'm glad you posted this Benny, I was struggling with that characterization as well. It's lewd and in poor taste but based purely on the reaction it seems to have generated it does the opposite of creating a culture of rape.

For the record, even the statement itself is not "rapey" per se.

Hello, satire.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 03:22:53 PM »
Hello, satire.

Oh I agree, and I think it should be fair game for all genders and races to be crude idiots
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 04:14:10 PM »
Oh I agree, and I think it should be fair game for all genders and races to be crude idiots

OK, but my point is that the girls who put up the sign you posted did it to satirize the frat bros who've been doing it because it's a frat bro maneuver.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 04:56:05 PM »
OK, but my point is that the girls who put up the sign you posted did it to satirize the frat bros who've been doing it because it's a frat bro maneuver.

Why did they put in the apostrophe in "son's"?

Probably cuz they dumb GIRLS
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 05:05:28 PM »

?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 05:08:17 PM »
Agreed.
I struggle with the extent to which "rape culture" really exists, though certainly there are examples out there that tend to lend credence to those who say it does. This, though, isn't one of those examples. This is just some crude idiots being crude idiots.

Here is the thing though.  These types of signs are becoming more regular at other schools.  Maybe not this crude, but similar stuff.  I don't remember those types of things when I was at Marquette.  I don't remember them on campuses where I worked even ten years ago.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 05:17:07 PM »
Hello, satire.

Where is the burning couch in that picture?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 05:42:08 PM »

So? It's less "offensive" because it's satire?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 05:55:35 PM »

Yes of course. It is meaning to show the absurdity of the "other side."

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 05:55:55 PM »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 05:56:41 PM »

Yep.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2016, 06:18:28 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/education/2016/09/07/lewd-banner-near-uw-la-crosse-goes-viral/89959802/

By no means am I defending the act here... though certainly not illegal, the banner was in extremely poor taste, and if it were my kid, I'd be embarrassed by the decision he made.  But I'm having a hard time understanding how something like this, in and of itself, "promotes a campus rape culture."  Does UW-L have a 'rape culture,' or is that just the nom du jour to describe horny college-aged men these days?

First we need to define our terms. There are many definitions of rape culture. The basic theme to all of theme is a culture that normalizes sexual violence and silences the victims. To further define terms, sexual violence is an umbrella term that covers sexual assault, domestic/dating violence, stalking, sexual harassment, and related retaliation (threatening or harming someone to keep them from reporting or as retribution for reporting an exact of sexual violence).

So when someone says something is contributing to rape culture it doesn't mean that specific act is going to lead to an increase of sexual assaults or decrease of victims reporting sexual assaults. It just means it is one of thousands of actions, some big, some small that contribute this culture of violence and silence.

Personally, I hate the term rape culture. Don't get me wrong, what the term is referring to absolutely exists. I just hate the phrase. I think it was coined intentionally to spark a reaction. Rape is a word that people are very uncomfortable with. I think the hope was that when people heard something contributed to rape culture that they would be horrified and then stop what they were doing. All it really does is make people defensive. But in the end, what's the point in wasting time about language?

So how does two morons hanging a banner that says "Free cream pies with freshmen ID" contribute to rape culture? This falls into the category of sexual harassment. Not legally mind you. The legal definition of sexual harassment requires the act to be persistent and pervasive. This is not. This is the kind of sexual harassment that is legal but can still be damaging. They absolutely have the right to do it but does that actually make it right? I'd equate this to catcalling. Yes, you have the legal right to tell a woman on the street that she has an ass that you could balance a glass of water on. But just because you have the right doesn't mean that she isn't going to feel violated, threatened, objectified, or demeaned. I also imagine that most of us wouldn't be comfortable with our daughters, sisters, wives, or mothers being subjected to that. The banner is like a passive catcall. A constant uninvited comment of a sexual nature. They absolutely have the right to make it, but what they are doing isn't right.

So I would say that this does contribute to rape culture. However, I will say on the "social justice Richter scale", this doesn't register that highly. Should it happen? No. Is this something that deserves the full force of all of our righteous outrage? No.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 06:22:30 PM »

This is a great question. Women are just as capable of sexually harassing men (and other women) as men are capable of harassing them. However, there is an inherent power difference between men and women on this topic. So while yes, the women in the photo are making an equally "rapey" statement. The impact that their statement will have is significantly less than the one that is made by the male students. Doesn't make it right, just less damaging.

And I agree with others that these women were satiring fraternities.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2016, 06:25:39 PM »

Offensive? No. I think it has equal ability to offend. Impactful? Yes, absolutely. Most would recognize the intended comedy and these not be as impacted. What the fine young gentlemen of Lacrosse did is a little different.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 06:27:13 PM »

Because the sign is intended to be read as if it is talking to one individual parent? I get that you are trying to be funny but unless I'm missing something the sign is grammatically correct.
TAMU

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 06:45:13 PM »
Yes of course. It is meaning to show the absurdity of the "other side."

Sure that's the intent....do you think the broseph it's targeting is going to get it or is he going to take it literally...as in" these girls are down with my approach"? Are parents who don't get the connection going to get it?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2016, 07:08:14 PM »
My frosh year, I lived at OD, came back for second semester, and was walking from 2SE through 2NW corridor to get my mail. A sign was up that said "Welcome Back Guys!". A day later, someone added an "L", and it then said "Welcome Black Guys". I found it pretty funny (I don't know if that's wrong or not, feel free to judge).

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2016, 07:30:24 PM »
There is absolutely nothing wrong with what these kids did. This is an excellent Double Entendre. I think the Chancellor should never have gotten involved. People need to lighten up.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 08:29:42 PM by Marquette Fan In NY »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 07:44:23 PM »
There is absolutely nothing wrong with what these kids did. This is an excellent Double Entrede. I think the Chancellor should never have gotten involved. People need to lighten up.

Yer an idiot.