collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Worst call of my lifetime  (Read 13040 times)

reinko

• All American
Worst call of my lifetime
« on: June 02, 2010, 08:00:55 PM »
Can you think of one worst than in the last 30 years?

Feel bad for Galaraga.

State Street Warrior

• Starter
Re: Worst call of my lifetime
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 08:03:11 PM »
That was not even close, a full stride away from the base (also biased since I am a Tiger fan).  I will until I die swear he threw a perfect game, all 28 outs.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 08:08:12 PM »
Worst call in the history of the game!

Joyce robbed Galarraga of the greatest moment in his professional career...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 08:41:52 PM »
Huge tiger fan, currently heartbroken.   From the replay from the centerfield camera, it shows the ball in Gallaraga's glove, and he re-grips it.  Horrible call.   All I can think of is that Joyce thought he bobbled it.    Never been so PO'd after a Tiger win in my life.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

State Street Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 08:46:50 PM »
Huge tiger fan, currently heartbroken.   From the replay from the centerfield camera, it shows the ball in Gallaraga's glove, and he re-grips it.  Horrible call.   All I can think of is that Joyce thought he bobbled it.    Never been so PO'd after a Tiger win in my life.  

ditto, what is worse is that from what I have seen Armando is a good guy too.  I was there this weekend and sitting just behind the bullpen Armando took time to high five the fans and talk to a bunch of kids and sign some autographs as the game was just starting and the rest of the bullpen had already gone into the covered indoor section of the pen.  He stayed there until the game was a few pitches in even.  Add that to the fact that he didn't blow up at Joyce after the call.  Gotta say he did it with class.  (These are just my experiences, outside of them I have no idea what he is like)

not to mention what he is saying on espn durring the Cin-Stl game.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 08:50:53 PM by Arod »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 08:59:19 PM »
Joyce admits after seeing the replay he blew the call and apologized to Armando.    Doing no one any good at all, but at least he was a standup guy.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 08:59:48 PM »
Just another moment for Bud Selig to have to look like an idiot and defend the use of no instant replay in baseball.  Why the stubbornness Bud?  Every major league and college basketball use video for clarification...I'm sure the umpire in this case really wishes there were instant replay at this point, because he is no going to live forever in infamy and shame for quite possibly costing a kid a perfect game.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

spazerak

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 09:09:45 PM »
Add that to the fact that he didn't blow up at Joyce after the call.  Gotta say he did it with class.

That's what stuck out to me as well.  He would've had every right to blow up but he just "grinned" and that was about that.  I'm sure he was fuming inside but sure didn't show it, he handled it with class.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 09:10:05 PM »
Two of the worst calls in Warrior basketball history were:

1. The offensive charge on Meminger vs tOSU in Athens, GA in the Mideast Regional in 1971. Play in question occurred around the 5 min. mark. Dean had never fouled out of a high school or college game to that point. Tap city for old MU at that point. Shame was the stars were lining up for a MU vs. UCLA showdown. I'm figuring we would have won that battle.

2. Whitehead's elbow swing that got his heine tossed out of the MU vs. Miami of Ohio NCAA game in 1978. Smack like that just shouldn't happen to the defending National Champs.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 09:11:33 PM »
"Most important call of my career and I kicked the s**t out of it. I cost that kid a perfect game...I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay." - Jim Joyce

Apparently he also sought out Galarraga after the game and apologized to him.

They are playing again tomorrow, and Joyce is set to work home plate. I think it would be a good idea for MLB to give him the day off and call up a minor league replacement. 

Eye

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 09:29:43 PM »
The college basketball spin on this for me is this. College basketball has gotten to the point where a lot of people on here cringe when guys like Higgins, Driscoll, Burr or Hightower are doing MU games. I think baseball's getting close to that point with guys like Angel Hernandez and Joe West. So where are the bad officials worse, college buckets or baseball?
GO WARRIORS!

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 09:31:10 PM »
MLB umpires have been in the news WAYYYYYYY to much already this season.  A real shame for Galaraga.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 09:34:52 PM »
The issue with umpiring in MLB right now is the fact that they are initiating too many confrontations. Umpires are going after pitchers/hitters/managers without provocation.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 09:39:59 PM »
The issue with umpiring in MLB right now is the fact that they are initiating too many confrontations. Umpires are going after pitchers/hitters/managers without provocation.

I agree with this.  To be honest, in this situation I feel almost as bad for the umpire as I do for Galarraga.  He messed up a perfect game and it's a huge mistake, but after all it's a mistake.  It's not like he was out to ruin a guy's perfect game.  The umpire is in a ton of pressure in that situation himself.  He knows there the guy is 1 out away from a perfect game and all of a sudden he sees the play is going to be close.  Maybe he blinked at the exact wrong time.  Who knows what happened...for some reason he thought the guy beat the throw, and he made a human error and admitted to it.  He's going to take a ton of crap because of an honest mistake.  Hopefully everyone can handle it as well as Galarraga does, but I highly doubt they will, unfortunately.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 09:56:15 PM »
Just saw the play on MLB.com.  That wasn't even close.  The runner even put his hands on his helmet in amazement because he knew he was out.

If the Bears can put an asterisk in their record book about the Instant Replay game, MLB should put an asterisk in the record books for this game.  It isn't like there was only one or two outs in the ninth.  That was the last stinkin out.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 11:41:03 PM »
Can you think of one worst than in the last 30 years?

Feel bad for Galaraga.

I feel bad for the umpire, too.  He knows he blew it, he's devastated about it.  He manned up and admitted it.

Terrible call, very unfortunate.  Three Perfect Games in one months time and the previous 18 took over 100 years.  Crazy

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 12:30:33 AM »
Wow watching that makes me sick to my stomach. To take something like that from a guy is devastating.

There is some talk of Bud "awarding" him the perfect game. While I hope he does I have mixed feelings about it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 12:38:30 AM »
Wow watching that makes me sick to my stomach. To take something like that from a guy is devastating.

There is some talk of Bud "awarding" him the perfect game. While I hope he does I have mixed feelings about it.

Can we have Bud award the Royals the World Series?  Terrible call, but if he does do this, talk about a Pandora's box. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 06:20:13 AM »
There is a simple solution to all of this that can partly rectify the situation.   And there is even precedent.    Have the official scorer change the ruling on that play to either 'E-1', or 'E-3'.    Give the ump cover by making the official cause the sno-cone in Armando's glove.   Hit/error calls have been changed after the fact before.   He gets a no-hitter.    BTW, I hope that fans can be as classy about this as the umpire, the pitcher, and the rest of the Tigers (after they had 15 minutes to cool down.   They were kind of pi$$ed on the field immediately after)

chapman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 07:44:44 AM »
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Bud-Selig-must-overrule-call-that-wiped-out-perfect-game-060210

Agree with this 110%.

Looking back, probably not right to change the scoring from the middle of the game to give CC Sabathia the no-hitter for the Brewers in '08 on a judgment call.  But this doesn't affect the rest of the game, it ends the game.  It's not a judgment call, it's a clear-cut obvious one.   

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 08:17:02 AM »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 08:29:21 AM »
Can we have Bud award the Royals the World Series?  Terrible call, but if he does do this, talk about a Pandora's box.  

If this is a reference to Don Dekinger (sp?), I think you mean that Bud should award the Cardinals the World Series. KC benefitted from the blown call.

Awarding Galarraga the perfect game would be a joke and a disgrace to the game and it would totally undermind the umpires. Are they going to go back and overrule every missed call throughout every game after the fact? What if a blown call actually costs someone a win? Should they overturn those calls too? It's a shame what happened and Galarraga should have had a perfect game...but it didn't work out.

In 1972 Milt Pappas of the Cubs had retired 26 straight and had a 2-2 count on the 27th batter. The next two pitches were over the plate but called balls by Bruce Froemming and he lost the perfect game (but finished the no-no). Should Selig review the tape using Ques-tec and award Pappas a perfecto if appropriate?

In Kerry Wood's 20 K game, the only hit he allowed was a bleeder that was botched by Kevin Orie but ruled a hit. Should they go back, call it an error and award Wood a no-hitter 12 years after the fact?

I realize those aren't exactly the same, but if you overturn one call, like Chico said, it really opens up Pandora's box.

drp108

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 09:33:55 AM »
Huge Tigers fan myself and was extremely angered by Joyce's call (along with everyone else). One minor detail though (that really doesn't matter but I'm curious) , how did "the play" go into the books as a hit and an error? 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 09:39:56 AM »
MLB umpires have been in the news WAYYYYYYY to much already this season.  A real shame for Galaraga.

I agree with you, but by all accounts, Joyce is a real good umpire.  He admitted a mistake.  It's time for everyone to calm down and move on.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 09:42:09 AM »
Huge Tigers fan myself and was extremely angered by Joyce's call (along with everyone else). One minor detail though (that really doesn't matter but I'm curious) , how did "the play" go into the books as a hit and an error? 

No error.  Just an infield single.  According to the ump (before he watched the replay), the hitter beat the throw.  This is not an error.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 09:51:52 AM »
No error.  Just an infield single.  According to the ump (before he watched the replay), the hitter beat the throw.  This is not an error.

Why is it scored though as a base hit and an error? 

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/scoreboard

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/scoreboard/20100602?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

State Street Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 10:50:35 AM »
Why is it scored though as a base hit and an error? 

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/scoreboard

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/scoreboard/20100602?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

It isn't, the error was made by the Indians that is why it is on their line.  Why would that even look like Detroit had an error.  Box scores are read by what that team has done so in this case: Cleveland had zero runs.  Cleveland had "1" hit.  Cleveland had 1 error.  Meaning they made the error.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2010, 11:05:47 AM »
It isn't, the error was made by the Indians that is why it is on their line.  Why would that even look like Detroit had an error.  Box scores are read by what that team has done so in this case: Cleveland had zero runs.  Cleveland had "1" hit.  Cleveland had 1 error.  Meaning they made the error.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2010, 11:09:18 AM »
If this is a reference to Don Dekinger (sp?), I think you mean that Bud should award the Cardinals the World Series. KC benefitted from the blown call.

Awarding Galarraga the perfect game would be a joke and a disgrace to the game and it would totally undermind the umpires. Are they going to go back and overrule every missed call throughout every game after the fact? What if a blown call actually costs someone a win? Should they overturn those calls too? It's a shame what happened and Galarraga should have had a perfect game...but it didn't work out.

In 1972 Milt Pappas of the Cubs had retired 26 straight and had a 2-2 count on the 27th batter. The next two pitches were over the plate but called balls by Bruce Froemming and he lost the perfect game (but finished the no-no). Should Selig review the tape using Ques-tec and award Pappas a perfecto if appropriate?

In Kerry Wood's 20 K game, the only hit he allowed was a bleeder that was botched by Kevin Orie but ruled a hit. Should they go back, call it an error and award Wood a no-hitter 12 years after the fact?

I realize those aren't exactly the same, but if you overturn one call, like Chico said, it really opens up Pandora's box.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Dekinger didn't win or lose the series for anyone.  Both teams had opportunities before and after the blown call.  Even if you want to believe Dek is responsible for the Cardinals demise, his call was to the detriment of the entire team.  Jim Joyce's call did not affect the outcome of the game -- the Tigers still won -- it affected two players - Galarraga and Donald.  Different situation.

Calling a strike a ball (or vice versa) is a completely different call.  If you took a freeze-frame of a pitch "on the black" from an umpire's POV and asked every major league umpire "ball or strike?" I guarantee that you won't get a unanimous decision.  You show every umpire last nights call, and I guarantee you will get a unanimous decision.  The Pappas argument is weak.  Plus, that was 1972... good luck getting any footage that definitively proves ball or strike.

Kerry Wood's 20K game was a scoring decision, and the scorekeeper stood by his decision.  Jim Joyce admitted he was wrong, but unlike a scorekeeper, he doesn't have 24 hours to change his decision.  Again -- completely different situation.

Too many people worried about this Pandora character and her box.  Nobody in baseball will complain if Bud Selig reverses this call.  The standings won't change.  Who wins the World Series won't change.  Nobody's salary is going to change (I'm sure the the "perfecto" will be considered a perfecto in A.G.'s future contract negotiations).  I'm sure Donald will be happy to have the 'hit' removed from his stat line.  Nothing changes, except that A.G. is returned what is rightfully his.  I'm sure Pandora would agree.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2010, 11:45:17 AM »
I think Dan Patrick stated it well this morning about Pandora.   You are right that it doesn't change who won or lost, it is simply a personal achievement.

But what happens, as Dan states, when the same type of blown call does cost a team a win?  What if it's a playoff game?  You're going to have people saying a precedent has been made to overturn a blown call in instance (simply to correct a Perfect game), but you're unwilling to overturn a blown call in an even more important instance (determining the actual winner).  At the end of the day, the object of the game is to WIN THE GAME.

Peter Gammons, this morning, went down the same path.

Neither was outright against overturning it, but both made very strong comments about Pandora's box (slippery slope, dangerous precedent, etc) that will come about.  The law of unintended consequences.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2010, 12:20:45 PM »
This is why I have mixed feelings about it.
Nobody in baseball will complain if Bud Selig reverses this call.  The standings won't change.  Who wins the World Series won't change.  Nobody's salary is going to change (I'm sure the the "perfecto" will be considered a perfecto in A.G.'s future contract negotiations).  I'm sure Donald will be happy to have the 'hit' removed from his stat line.  Nothing changes, except that A.G. is returned what is rightfully his.  I'm sure Pandora would agree.

This is why I have mixed feelings.  It does open pandora's box, however, all it really does is give Galaraga his well deserved accomplishment.

I think situations like this are exactly why the "best interest of baseball" clause was created.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2010, 12:30:34 PM »
I would really like for Galarraga to have his perfect game, but I just don't think they can should do that.  My personal opinion.  YMMV.

Fixed.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 12:49:26 PM by StillAWarrior »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2010, 12:30:56 PM »
This is why I have mixed feelings about it.
This is why I have mixed feelings.  It does open pandora's box, however, all it really does is give Galaraga his well deserved accomplishment.

I think situations like this are exactly why the "best interest of baseball" clause was created.

But aren't the best interest of baseball to get the winner and loser right, even MORE SO?  I think that's where Pandora's box is wide open.  A blown call in a game that determines a winner or loser, seems to me the best interest of baseball should be to get it right, too. 

State Street Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2010, 12:34:31 PM »
So Joyce is behind the plate today, good thing the perfect game today got broken up on the 5th hitter with a single.  Somehow I imagined a controversy somewhere in the 3rd-5th inning with a questionable full count walk/strikeout to preserve or ruin a perfect game.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2010, 12:41:08 PM »
Galarragga brought out the lineup cards, Joyce was visibly weeping, Galaragga reached over and patted him on the back, Joyce punched him in the shoulder, and it was over.    Standing O and a new Corvette convertible for Armando. 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2010, 12:45:23 PM »
i dont think theres any way that Selig or anyone else should overrule the call. If for no other reason because baseball foresaw this kind of thing happening!! for years now, there have been calls for instant replay, etc and mlb has always scoffed at the idea. now you can argue the merits of that, but the point is that they specifically refer to human error as part of the game.  the history, prestige, etc is preserved when you dont use video monitoring in baseball because out/safe, ball/strike, etc is a judgment call meant to be made by fallible umpires.  to simply ignore the years and years in which mlb has cited human error as a necessary part of baseball because the call becomes more or less important would be cowardice.  i actually sort of like the preservation of judgment calls and no video replay in baseball, so take this FWIW.  however from mlb's standpoint, they might as well have specifically written into the rules that "reply should not be used to grant a perfect game where it was robbed by human error."

bma725

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2010, 12:49:35 PM »
Pandora's box was opened almost 20 years ago when Fay Vincent's stupid committee on statistical accuracy decided to change the definition of a no hitter and retroactively remove 50 of them from the record book.  If they can do that, this should be a cake walk.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2010, 12:54:37 PM »
Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Dekinger didn't win or lose the series for anyone.  Both teams had opportunities before and after the blown call.  Even if you want to believe Dek is responsible for the Cardinals demise, his call was to the detriment of the entire team.  Jim Joyce's call did not affect the outcome of the game -- the Tigers still won -- it affected two players - Galarraga and Donald.  Different situation.

Calling a strike a ball (or vice versa) is a completely different call.  If you took a freeze-frame of a pitch "on the black" from an umpire's POV and asked every major league umpire "ball or strike?" I guarantee that you won't get a unanimous decision.  You show every umpire last nights call, and I guarantee you will get a unanimous decision.  The Pappas argument is weak.  Plus, that was 1972... good luck getting any footage that definitively proves ball or strike.

Kerry Wood's 20K game was a scoring decision, and the scorekeeper stood by his decision.  Jim Joyce admitted he was wrong, but unlike a scorekeeper, he doesn't have 24 hours to change his decision.  Again -- completely different situation.

Too many people worried about this Pandora character and her box.  Nobody in baseball will complain if Bud Selig reverses this call.  The standings won't change.  Who wins the World Series won't change.  Nobody's salary is going to change (I'm sure the the "perfecto" will be considered a perfecto in A.G.'s future contract negotiations).  I'm sure Donald will be happy to have the 'hit' removed from his stat line.  Nothing changes, except that A.G. is returned what is rightfully his.  I'm sure Pandora would agree.

The point I was making (that you clearly missed) was that it would be hard to change this one call while ignoring the countless other examples of similar situations AND there's no clear-cut place to draw the line unless you want to say it's only applicable to a blown call on the last out of a perfect game. What if this same call was made in the 3rd inning? It wouldn't have been any less wrong but if he was the only batter to reach, using your logic, the call shold be reversed and a perfect game should be rewarded. What happens when a bad call actually does cost a team a game? Will MLB overturn that call and the outcome of the game? It just gets too complicated.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2010, 12:59:37 PM »
Tell me more about this Pandora chick and her box you speak of.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2010, 01:39:31 PM »
I'm a big fan of Pandora's box..... ;D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
Pandora's box was opened almost 20 years ago when Fay Vincent's stupid committee on statistical accuracy decided to change the definition of a no hitter and retroactively remove 50 of them from the record book.  If they can do that, this should be a cake walk.

That's quite different than deciding when to overturn calls and when not.  What I think I'm hearing some people here say is, it's ok to overturn THIS call because a guy lost a perfect game.  But it's not ok to overturn a call that actually would determine the winner and loser.  WTF

And for the record, I'm 100% in agreement with you BMA on the no hitter BS that the MLB did years ago.  But having worked for a MLB team and still very close to it, the word "shocking" has never appeared in my vocabulary with any decisions that come down from them, especially with the current regime and Bud Lite.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2010, 01:44:08 PM »

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2010, 01:44:40 PM »
Bad Call... Ump understands this

And no, Instant Replay should not be in baseball... ruins the nostalgic feeling baseball has, what would be the use of umps then, just use computers... kills the pasttime which is baseball
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2010, 01:46:07 PM »
The point I was making (that you clearly missed) was that it would be hard to change this one call while ignoring the countless other examples of similar situations AND there's no clear-cut place to draw the line unless you want to say it's only applicable to a blown call on the last out of a perfect game. What if this same call was made in the 3rd inning? It wouldn't have been any less wrong but if he was the only batter to reach, using your logic, the call shold be reversed and a perfect game should be rewarded. What happens when a bad call actually does cost a team a game? Will MLB overturn that call and the outcome of the game? It just gets too complicated.

No, I understood your point completely.  My point is that the examples you threw out are not similar situations.  If it happened in the third inning, you cannot overturn the call because the entire dynamic of the game changes at that point.  Every action has a random consequence.  There's no way to predict what happens after that.

But this was supposed to be the last play of the game.  If the call was made correctly, the game is over.  There is no chance for anything subsequent to change.  In this case, you can change the call and right a wrong with confidence.  You can't do that when a call is blown in the middle of a game.

Overturn the call -- nothing like this has ever happened before so you're not going against precedent.  And start allowing replay on the very last play of a game -- nothing like this will ever happen again.  If there's nothing inside Pandora's box, who cares whether it's open or not?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2010, 02:22:33 PM »
It's been announced Bud Selig will not overturn the call on the field.

I've blasted him at length on these message boards but I'd like to give him props for making the right call.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2010, 02:44:45 PM »
It's been announced Bud Selig will not overturn the call on the field.

I've blasted him at length on these message boards but I'd like to give him props for making the right call.

Honestly, when I saw you replied to this topic I immediately said "here we go..."

As vehemently Selig is against instant replay...I think this, coupled with what happened in the playoffs last year, will lead to some changes. 

I am in favor of an expanded system for the playoffs only...those games are too important to be screwed up by blatant missed calls.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2010, 02:58:32 PM »
Honestly, when I saw you replied to this topic I immediately said "here we go..."

As vehemently Selig is against instant replay...I think this, coupled with what happened in the playoffs last year, will lead to some changes. 

I am in favor of an expanded system for the playoffs only...those games are too important to be screwed up by blatant missed calls.

My question to you... does one play really make a game?

For instance, if a blown call is made, does that really change the game.  Sure I guess in hindsight it might, but youve got 9 innings, 27 outs, you can never blame a blown call for a loss.  Play through it, you've done it your whole life, should be no different.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2010, 03:15:40 PM »

And no, Instant Replay should not be in baseball... ruins the nostalgic feeling baseball has, what would be the use of umps then, just use computers... kills the pasttime which is baseball

Sometimes nostalgia needs to make way for progress.  There is nothing wrong with having some sort of NFL-like replay system in play where each team gets a challenge or two for an entire game.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2010, 03:35:07 PM »

And there is a problem when the nostalgia gets in the way of winning and keeping fans.  The game has to adapt, not only on this issue but the length of the games.  As a Red Sox fan, I want to slit my wrists anytime Manny Delcarmen pitches relief, just to prove the point I could bleed to death in the time it takes him to throw twice.  This highlights baseball's unwillingness to at least move forward a century and peak the interest of a younger generation.  I guarantee you baseball is hemorrhaging fans because they won't update the game.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2010, 03:55:34 PM »
Sometimes nostalgia needs to make way for progress.  There is nothing wrong with having some sort of NFL-like replay system in play where each team gets a challenge or two for an entire game.

Just curious...if there was replay and if Detroit already had used their allotted challenge(s), then this result would stand?  Or would there be umpire challenges too?  Or could the Commish overturn in the next day?  Or would Cleveland have just gone ahead and used one of its challenges to the benefit of Galarraga?

nyg

• All American
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2010, 04:04:10 PM »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2010, 04:08:46 PM »
No, I understood your point completely.  My point is that the examples you threw out are not similar situations.  If it happened in the third inning, you cannot overturn the call because the entire dynamic of the game changes at that point.  Every action has a random consequence.  There's no way to predict what happens after that.

But this was supposed to be the last play of the game.  If the call was made correctly, the game is over.  There is no chance for anything subsequent to change.  In this case, you can change the call and right a wrong with confidence.  You can't do that when a call is blown in the middle of a game.

Overturn the call -- nothing like this has ever happened before so you're not going against precedent.  And start allowing replay on the very last play of a game -- nothing like this will ever happen again.  If there's nothing inside Pandora's box, who cares whether it's open or not?

Hypothetical: This same play and same call are made but, instead of ruining a perfect game, it allows the tying run to score in Game 7 of the World Series. Should the commish go back and change the call the next day?

Either way, Bud made the right decision. Galarraga, himself, said it best when he said that he doesn't care if it's in the history books or not, he knows he threw a perfect game and that's all that matters. Didn't know much, if anything, about him before last night, but he has proven to be a class act throughout this entire ordeal. I hope he has a long and successful career.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Armando-Galarraga-receives-a-Corvette-consolatio?urn=mlb,245508

Class act by General Motors or whoever arranged this. 

You sure?  It's a GM product, a lot of people might argue that they should have given him a nice gift.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2010, 06:15:04 PM »
You sure?  It's a GM product, a lot of people might argue that they should have given him a nice gift.

So, really this is a present from all tax paying Americans?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Bud Light got one right. Alyssa Milano agrees
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2010, 06:19:38 PM »
Bud Light got one right, good for him.

Alyssa Milano agrees.  "Personally, I agree with Selig on this one. Part of the game (as it is played now) is human error."

I guess since Milano has banged out more hits with MLB players than just about any broad, she's an expert in this area.

http://deadspin.com/sports/cultural-oddsmaker/whos-the-next-mlb-player-to-bang-alyssa-milano-280709.php

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Bud Light got one right. Alyssa Milano agrees
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2010, 06:23:43 PM »
Bud Light got one right, good for him.

Alyssa Milano agrees.  "Personally, I agree with Selig on this one. Part of the game (as it is played now) is human error."

I guess since Milano has banged out more hits with MLB players than just about any broad, she's an expert in this area.

Yes, but we're talkin' a perfect game here.

http://deadspin.com/sports/cultural-oddsmaker/whos-the-next-mlb-player-to-bang-alyssa-milano-280709.php

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2010, 05:49:49 AM »
I'll tell you what should be overturned...our lame nickname! It's remains pathetic and embarrassing!

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2010, 08:13:10 AM »
I'll tell you what should be overturned...our lame nickname! It's remains pathetic and embarrassing!

And just when I was impressed that this topic had stayed on track for 3 full pages.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2010, 08:29:28 AM »

As long as we're veering off topic, I'd like to see the gut-punch 3s by Reece Gaines, Francisco Garcia and Jerry Smith overturned.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2010, 08:59:10 AM »
Just curious...if there was replay and if Detroit already had used their allotted challenge(s), then this result would stand?  Or would there be umpire challenges too?  Or could the Commish overturn in the next day?  Or would Cleveland have just gone ahead and used one of its challenges to the benefit of Galarraga?

That's the tricky thing about this.  While I'm obviously not a person to talk the specifics about how it would work, I find it hard to believe that there are enough questionable calls in a game (assuming balls and strikes will still be 100% Umpire run) to have this be an issue.  When you go to a baseball game, how many times do you say "man, I really wish they could go back and review that!"? Once every other game? Less frequently than that?

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2010, 12:30:58 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Armando-Galarraga-receives-a-Corvette-consolatio?urn=mlb,245508

Class act by General Motors or whoever arranged this. 

i took it as GM jumping at the opportunity to look good. It was just a PR stunt, I think it had less to do with GM being classy, and more with them promoting their name.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2010, 12:58:01 PM »
i took it as GM jumping at the opportunity to look good. It was just a PR stunt, I think it had less to do with GM being classy, and more with them promoting their name.

That's obvious.  Smart PR team.  Armando gets some new wheels, and GM looks like a nice guy.  Win Win.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2010, 06:56:05 PM »

And just when I was impressed that this topic had stayed on track for 3 full pages.

Indeed. Hey, what are people's thoughts on the legacy of Tom Crean as HC of Marquette University BB?

(Please God, no one answer that.)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2010, 07:17:49 PM »
Interesting, I was wondering if it is too quick to compare Buzz's performance against that legacy

feedback