'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tubby is out at Minnesota  (Read 22401 times)

Schmidtyfactor

• Starter
Re: Tubby is out at Minnesota
« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2013, 10:58:48 PM »
Wcco sports anchor, mark rosen, just reported that Shaka is staying put and turned down offers from minn and ucla ~ which we knew. He then went on to say that marquettes head coach buzz Williams who is in the sweet 16 would be a likely target. (Probably According to All sorts of sources that he read about online (because the Internet never lies)).

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2013, 11:13:34 PM »
Minnesota has gone from kinda cute to downright annoying. They have no concept of their place in the college sports world. They are a bottom feeder in football and strictly middle of the pack in basketball. Heck, why not go after Pitino, Calipari, and Self? Apparently, the Gophers job is one of tops in the nation.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2013, 11:24:01 PM »
That would be like saying that a lot of coaches turned down Marquette, and thats how we wound up with Hank Raymonds and Rick Majerus. 

UCLA didn't "end up" wtith Larry Farmer, Walt Hazzard and Steve Lavin because a lot of other coaches turned them down.

They chose Larry Farmer and Walt Hazzard because they wanted to stay in the UCLA family and went with former players.  Farmer was a UCLA assistant for 8 years before then made him head coach. 

And you're really stretching with Steve Lavin.  Steve Lavin was named interim coach based on timing--Jim Harrick was fired in early November--about the worst time to try and run a search. When Lavin took UCLA to the Elite Eight in his first year, he got the job permanently.

None of these situations were the result of wide-scale searches where other big-time coaches turned them down.

Shaka Smart just said no to your Bruins. Guess it's time to move on to Plan B.

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2013, 11:38:48 PM »
Again, as a Gophers fan, I'd be SHOCKED if Buzz even CONSIDERED the Gophers job. But it's worth pointing out that Mark Rosen keeps pushing Buzz's name. He's generally a well-connected guy, but this would be a stunner.

(No clue how to do the TWITTAAA TRACKAAAA thing.)

Mark Rosen ‏@WCCORosen 1h
“@PHansenDUB: @WCCORosen yes I remember. Who u thinking now?” Keep hearing Buzz Williams name but its tight lipped!

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #129 on: March 28, 2013, 07:51:32 AM »
Again, as a Gophers fan, I'd be SHOCKED if Buzz even CONSIDERED the Gophers job. But it's worth pointing out that Mark Rosen keeps pushing Buzz's name. He's generally a well-connected guy, but this would be a stunner.

(No clue how to do the TWITTAAA TRACKAAAA thing.)

Mark Rosen ‏@WCCORosen 1h
“@PHansenDUB: @WCCORosen yes I remember. Who u thinking now?” Keep hearing Buzz Williams name but its tight lipped!

Yes, Buzz wants to coach at a place with no tradition, lousy facilities, and for less money.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 08:09:21 AM by Groin_pull »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #130 on: March 28, 2013, 07:55:15 AM »
Buzz isn't headed to Minnesota.  LMAO

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #131 on: March 28, 2013, 08:33:45 AM »
If buzz leaves to Minnesotta it would ruin our programs in the eyes of recruits

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #132 on: March 28, 2013, 08:36:23 AM »
This is like deja vu from Illinois' search last year, only more pathetic, because Minnesota is a worse job than Illinois.  Hopefully their 10th pick works out as well for them as John Groce did for Illinois.

Sylvester78

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #133 on: March 28, 2013, 08:42:08 AM »
Who the heck does Minnesota think they are?

Buzz???? That is two steps down.   Not a chance.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #134 on: March 28, 2013, 08:42:29 AM »
If buzz leaves to Minnesotta it would ruin our programs in the eyes of recruits

Kenosha, go check out this thread...

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=37737.msg478537#msg478537

That seemingly inocuous blog post by Hunt at the top of the thread is pretty much a direct quote from Buzz himself saying that he's not interested in going anywhere. He even addresses the Minnesota and UCLA jobs.

Buzz isn't going anywhere. This is as good a confirmation as you are ever going to get.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2013, 08:45:35 AM »
How come assitants names never come up in these coach searches?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #136 on: March 28, 2013, 08:52:55 AM »

Assistant coaches rarely are offered high major head coaching jobs right away.  Usually, they have to cut their teeth coaching a mid major before moving up.  This is USUALLY what happens.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #137 on: March 28, 2013, 09:05:26 AM »
I live in the Twin Cities and this is definitely the topic du jour right now.  It's amazing how much some fans overvalue the Gopher job.  On the radio this morning one of the local sports guys (who knows slightly less about college basketball than 90% of the posters on this board) said, I guess if we can't get Shaka Smart or Brad Stevens then we would take the Marquette guy.  WTF?

I doubt he knows that Buzz Williams made more money than Tubby Smith, that MU has better facilities, that Buzz travels on a private jet, has a top 10 recruiting class coming in, and is from Texas so presumably has no interest in moving further north to coach at a school that thinks it should be top 3 in the Big Ten every year.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #138 on: March 28, 2013, 09:14:17 AM »

Brad Autry's name has popped up for the Texas St. job. So good luck to him and if he gets it Buzz will just bring in another gem.
Bring back FFP!!!

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #139 on: March 28, 2013, 09:18:05 AM »
I said it earlier, but I went through security at the Milwaukee airport behind Tubby last summer when he was down here for an AAU tournament.  I just kept thinking, "I can't believe they make their coach fly commercial on Delta?"

Schmidtyfactor

• Starter
« Reply #140 on: March 28, 2013, 09:18:52 AM »
Theres a cold front headed towards the Twin Cities basketball program/fans/media- and it's called REALITY. They wont make a splashy hire like Tubby again. Gonna get some little known, hard working coach who is eager and not top dollar. i.e. Jerry Kill. and the fans will be in an uproar....

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #141 on: March 28, 2013, 09:23:00 AM »
Also heard the "back up option" was Flip Saunders.  If they can get Flip they should do it today as he would be an excellent coach.

Another name they discussed was Fred Hoiberg, I guess because he played for the Wolves.  I can't imagine why Hoiberg would leave ISU for Minn.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #142 on: March 28, 2013, 09:26:36 AM »

Nobody knows the names of the top assistants.  So the lazy sportswriters just regurgitate the names they've seen before, and if they did list the names, the uninformed readers wouldn't know who they were talking about anyway.

Flip Saunders, come on down...  here's the keys to the barn and your Delta SkyMiles card.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #143 on: March 28, 2013, 09:30:50 AM »
I think Flip would be great... but my only concern would be recruiting.

Flip is rich. Like REALLY rich. He coached in the NBA for a long time.

Does he really want to work 80 hours per week flying around the country trying to recruit 16yr olds?

It takes a unique guy to want to put in the recruiting work.

Coaching however, I think Flip would be excellent.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #144 on: March 28, 2013, 09:33:37 AM »
Theres a cold front headed towards the Twin Cities basketball program/fans/media- and it's called REALITY. They wont make a splashy hire like Tubby again. Gonna get some little known, hard working coach who is eager and not top dollar. i.e. Jerry Kill. and the fans will be in an uproar....

I actually think this is what they need - a hard-working, energetic assistant with a great basketball mind.  Pretty sure Marquette has done okay with that model before. 

Or if they haven't called Ben Howland yet they should do that.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #145 on: March 28, 2013, 10:33:29 AM »
Relax everyone (including myself).

@AmeliaRayno: Not going to be Buzz. Process happening now. RT @AmeliaRayno I already know that it's Buzz Williams. Now just waiting for them to lose.

She is the men's basketball and college hoops beat writer at the Minneapolis Star Tribune. It looks weird but she is not responding to herself, but some guy with 68 followers living in "loserville,usa"
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #146 on: March 28, 2013, 10:44:50 AM »
Relax everyone (including myself).

@AmeliaRayno: Not going to be Buzz. Process happening now. RT @AmeliaRayno I already know that it's Buzz Williams. Now just waiting for them to lose.

She is the men's basketball and college hoops beat writer at the Minneapolis Star Tribune. It looks weird but she is not responding to herself, but some guy with 68 followers living in "loserville,usa"

It looks weird because it says "it's not Buzz" and also "it's Buzz" in the same line.  So what are you saying?

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #147 on: March 28, 2013, 10:53:13 AM »
It looks weird because it says "it's not Buzz" and also "it's Buzz" in the same line.  So what are you saying?

She is responding to the other person's tweet via an RT. She just did it wrong and left in her handle instead of his. The guy was tweeting at her, that's why it's there. Here's his tweet that she is responding to.

Jason Frank ‏@jasonfrank3: @AmeliaRayno I already know that it's Buzz Williams. Now just waiting for them to lose.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #148 on: March 28, 2013, 11:02:33 AM »
Well, that does it for me, pack up this thread and send it to archives.  File it in alphabetical order with the Arkansas, Illinois, NC State, Oklahoma, SMU, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech threads so we can find it again next year.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #149 on: March 28, 2013, 11:06:22 AM »
Well, that does it for me, pack up this thread and send it to archives.  File it in alphabetical order with the Arkansas, Illinois, NC State, Oklahoma, SMU, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech threads so we can find it again next year.

What about Oregon, Missouri, South Carolina, and UCLA?
Bring back FFP!!!