Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz on Coaching Changes  (Read 10558 times)

martyconlonontherun

• All American
Re: Buzz on Coaching Changes
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2013, 05:00:36 PM »
I think when addressing expectations, Buzz was speaking less of himself than of Howland and Tubby.

Solid point. Probably hard to get the full point across when I'm just reading a paragraph without audio/video.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 05:05:16 PM »
Someone in here mentioned that off the record conversations between a source and a journalist have a lot more information in them than on the record conversations.

Part of deciphering the hidden meaning behind some of these types of articles is finding where the author inserts the off the record information into conjecture.

Read between the lines where Hunt specifically mentions the two open jobs that for some inexplicable reason have a lot of people here in a tizzy.

Where do you think the information that he based this opinion on came from?
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 05:13:05 PM »
Someone in here mentioned that off the record conversations between a source and a journalist have a lot more information in them than on the record conversations.

Part of deciphering the hidden meaning behind some of these types of articles is finding where the author inserts the off the record information into conjecture.

Read between the lines where Hunt specifically mentions the two open jobs that for some inexplicable reason have a lot of people here in a tizzy.

Where do you think the information that he based this opinion on came from?

Exactly.
Something happened to change Hunt's mind about whether Buzz would take the UCLA job. It would be speculation for me to say exactly what, but it's probably not mere coincidence that this change of heart occurred after Hunt spent some time around the team in the last 24 hours.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 05:28:13 PM »
Exactly.
Something happened to change Hunt's mind about whether Buzz would take the UCLA job. It would be speculation for me to say exactly what, but it's probably not mere coincidence that this change of heart occurred after Hunt spent some time around the team in the last 24 hours.

Yup. The first few sentences in that article are as close to a direct quote from someone "extremely close to the situation" as you can get.

I will leave it up to everyone to decide who that source probably is. I'll add that it's probably also not a coincidence that only one person is quoted in that article.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2013, 05:34:26 PM »
This is probably as close as we're going to get to Buzz saying he's not interested in other jobs.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 06:05:22 PM »
Can someone interpret?  My Buzz-to-English book does not have pages for this.
"I don't want to change jobs."
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 06:39:09 PM »
Mike Hunt yesterday:  Buzz would take the UCLA job if offered
Mike Hunt today:  re: UCLA, "I don't see that either"

What a nimrod

Exactly!!!! Unbelievable.
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2013, 10:16:11 AM »

If you switch to a new job in April, you have a difficult time getting a good recruiting class by November. If a coach is fired even earlier than that, you can lose on two recruiting classes. You hope that the new institution is patient and you can build the relationships, especially with a big contract.

I don't buy this.

Buzz himself is a guy who was hired at MU in April and by November he was well on his way to a class that included three top 100 and 2 JUCO first team AAs. And as I recall in his one year at UNO, he landed THEIR best class in years. So when he claims it is difficult to get a good recruiting class, its not coming from his own experience.

Then you have to think he knows his MU history.  Crean is hired in April, by November he's brining in a class of Scott Merritt, Dwyane Wade, Odartey Blankson and Terry Sanders.  Kevin O'Neill is hired in April, by November that year O'Neill is on his way to a class that included transfers Ron Curry from Arizona, Keith Stewart from Purdue and top 100 players Jim McIlvaine, Damon Key and Robb Logtermann.

And didn't Al McGurie land a pretty good class his first year at MU? 

The big question, then is WHY Buzz would feel the need to lower expectations like this. If he has no plans to leave, why talk about how difficult it is to recruit in the first year on the job?

Best case: Habit.  Just more of the "Aw, shucks, we're just not a very good team. . ." persona.

Worst case:  He actually IS attempting to lower expectations because he knows something the rest of us don't. . .  maybe just buying time for one of his assistants who's going to get a new job.  Or maybe worse.

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2013, 12:38:38 PM »
I don't buy this.

Buzz himself is a guy who was hired at MU in April and by November he was well on his way to a class that included three top 100 and 2 JUCO first team AAs. And as I recall in his one year at UNO, he landed THEIR best class in years. So when he claims it is difficult to get a good recruiting class, its not coming from his own experience.
Buzz had already been recruiting for MU for nearly a year when he got the HC gig. It's not like he was coaching in Georgia and then parachuted in starting from scratch. His title changed but the program and kids didn't.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2013, 12:40:21 PM »
Worst case:  He actually IS attempting to lower expectations because he knows something the rest of us don't. . .  maybe just buying time for one of his assistants who's going to get a new job.  Or maybe worse.
I'm not following - How would lowering expectations for a first year coach benefit him?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2013, 12:46:29 PM »
I'm not following - How would lowering expectations for a first year coach benefit him?

It would only benefit him if he's planning on starting a new job. 
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2013, 01:10:04 PM »
It would only benefit him if he's planning on starting a new job. 
I dunno I feel like that's sort of a stretch... what he says while at MU to MU reporters probably won't translate to his next job if he moves?

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2013, 04:30:04 PM »
The comments kind of rub me the wrong way. If Buzz wanted job security  (or any coaches for this matter), just sign a 10 year, $1 mil per year deal with no buyout. Boom. Job Security.

The reason why these jobs are so cut-throat is they expect to be paid a ton and try to drive up the market by entertaining other offers. Buzz wouldn't have Sweet 16 expectations placed on him if he wasn't one of the highest paid coaches in the nation that hasn't won anything.

This is crazy talk.  I wouldn't suddenly care less about our team being successful because I heard that Buzz took a pay cut.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2013, 11:16:56 PM »
Anyone just hear Dickie V on sportscenter?

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2013, 11:17:56 PM »
nope - can u post?

The Process

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2013, 11:18:12 PM »

No. What'd the idiot say?
Relax. Respect the Process.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2013, 11:19:25 PM »
MU is going to have a hard hard time keeping buzz Williams.   He is now a HOT commodity. And so on

🏀

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2013, 11:19:43 PM »

Was his incontinence audible?

The Process

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2013, 11:20:29 PM »
MU is going to have a hard hard time keeping buzz Williams.   He is now a HOT commodity. And so on

More proof he's a moron.

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2013, 11:21:05 PM »
Duke has an open assistants spot for next year....

The Process

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2013, 11:22:13 PM »
Duke has an open assistants spot for next year....

Vitale should sign up.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2013, 11:22:33 PM »
More baseless garbage from Dukie V. What a shock.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2013, 11:23:17 PM »

Like he wasn't before?

chren21

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2013, 11:26:08 PM »
I have video, I rewinded it and rec with my I phone.  How do I post?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2013, 11:27:13 PM »
Stone cold on coaching changes:

"Don't f.ck it up Larry"