[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bilas post - quote on Sam  (Read 13847 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Bilas post - quote on Sam
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2019, 02:53:49 PM »
MU82

I do like the tough minded side of this team and how it translates into victories. What I do not like, this happening against a bunch of bad teams. They are letting poor teams stay in shouting distance to them and I think that might prove dangerous down the stretch.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2019, 05:38:41 PM »
I poked around the internet and apparently it is legal to sub someone in to shoot technical FTs.  I thought at the time it would have been a good time for Sam to shoot the FTs to help him get going.  Turned out he got going anyway.

I was questioning that as well.  Marcus was at the scorers table and next thing i knew he was at tge ft line
I figured it was a screw up on the officials and with all the confusion going on neither the officials ir the depaul coaches realized marcus was not in the game
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2019, 05:59:55 PM »
I was questioning that as well.  Marcus was at the scorers table and next thing i knew he was at tge ft line
I figured it was a screw up on the officials and with all the confusion going on neither the officials ir the depaul coaches realized marcus was not in the game

Not sure if you were at the game or not.  On TV you could clearly see Markus was not at the scorers table.  As the confusion was going on, you could see Markus walk over to the table to check in.  I had the same thought in my head as some of you, but not sure of the rules on this.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2019, 06:11:47 PM »
Not sure if you were at the game or not.  On TV you could clearly see Markus was not at the scorers table.  As the confusion was going on, you could see Markus walk over to the table to check in.  I had the same thought in my head as some of you, but not sure of the rules on this.

That is what I saw on TV also. However, after thinking about it, the TV view was narrow and did not show him walking from the bench to the table.  I cannot rule out that he had already checked in, was just out of camera view, and just asked them if he could go onto the floor at that point.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2019, 06:13:16 PM »
I believe the NCAA rule allows any eligible player to shoot the two (type A technical) free throws.

I think an exception is if a player has just checked out of a game, then the technical is called before anytime has run off the clock.

Different than the shooter replacing an injured player substitution rule.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2019, 06:24:45 PM »
avid

This team has done an awesome job of finding ways to win. That said, I am not sure they are good enough to put together a complete, at least not complete games in a row. I am 10000% shocked with the win/loss record and very happy in that regard. I cam into the season not believing they had a 9-10 man rotation and the minutes played has proven that to be true. I am going to enjoy the ride as long as it lasts, but skeptical you can win every game, or most games, when you do not play complete game.

As a guy with low expectations going into the season, I gladly admit I was wrong, based off their record. Hope I am proven wrong that the talent depth is better than I thought. Currently, I am not ready, or close to ready, to admit I was wrong on the talent level.

goose man-you're one of a handful of guys whose opinions on MU b-ball i pretty much just hang up and listen.  the hauser boys are gradually becoming a national story.  for announcers, it's a fun one to dig in to.  they are WINNERS!  they've come from winning, they eat, bleed and pee winning!  they are quiet leaders in that respect.  they aren't terribly athletic, but what they lack in athleticism, they make up for with the cranium.  a little larry bird happening?  3 state championships(very well coulda been 4) a 69 game winning streak...that's winning.  they bring all that to MU.  what a treat!  my only criticism of joey is when he makes that move midway, across the lane, he hesitates too much.  fake, go up and/or pass.  he get's too many turnovers here because this play/move is exhibit "A" on opposing teams tapes. 

o.k. that said, i do have to gloat on ya-memba eddie's?  time for another, eyn'a jonny and danno? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2019, 06:49:31 PM »
MU82

I do like the tough minded side of this team and how it translates into victories. What I do not like, this happening against a bunch of bad teams. They are letting poor teams stay in shouting distance to them and I think that might prove dangerous down the stretch.

It's a big "if," Goose, but if the Warriors can clean up the turnovers, I will feel much better about them for the long haul this season. Even great teams sometimes play down to the level of competition. As long as they don't succumb, and as long as they play up to the level of good competition, I'm not overly concerned about it.

I mean, we've won 6 straight games. Won 'em with Markus hot and with Markus not. Won 'em with the Hausers going great, and won 'em with smaller contributions from them. Won 'em with Sacar filling up the stat sheet, and won 'em when he's gone 0-for-9 from the floor. Won 'em with Theo blocking everything in his direction, and won 'em when he only has one block. Won 'em when Markus and Morrow were hurt, and won 'em with everybody healthy.

I think we are a tough team -- Wojo's mindset? -- and I think that now that we can play some D, it helps overcome the poor offensive stretches.

I was bullish on the team going into the year, and I see no reason to be anything but bullish from here on forward. As I said, the only thing that concerns me are the big turnover numbers in most games. But they only had a half-dozen or so against Providence, so it's obviously something they CAN do better.

One of the great things about sports is that we don't have to wait all that long to see!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2019, 08:22:27 PM »
If Howard goes on a "Kemba run", we can be a Final 4 team.

If we face a long, athletic team (a la Depaul or Providence - but good) we could lose early.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2019, 08:26:47 PM »
avid

This team has done an awesome job of finding ways to win. That said, I am not sure they are good enough to put together a complete, at least not complete games in a row. I am 10000% shocked with the win/loss record and very happy in that regard. I cam into the season not believing they had a 9-10 man rotation and the minutes played has proven that to be true. I am going to enjoy the ride as long as it lasts, but skeptical you can win every game, or most games, when you do not play complete game.

As a guy with low expectations going into the season, I gladly admit I was wrong, based off their record. Hope I am proven wrong that the talent depth is better than I thought. Currently, I am not ready, or close to ready, to admit I was wrong on the talent level.

Glad you came around!!  😀

On talent, we have holes...no question.  I would argue quite a few, but enough dudes stepping up at the right time in right spots so far to cover.  We have potential to get destroyed in a game as we have already shown twice, but also the potential to fight and win games we shouldn’t.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2019, 09:08:30 PM »
Glad you came around!!  😀

On talent, we have holes...no question.  I would argue quite a few, but enough dudes stepping up at the right time in right spots so far to cover.  We have potential to get destroyed in a game as we have already shown twice, but also the potential to fight and win games we shouldn’t.

i sure do wish, as well as my cardiologist would attest, that we could put away some of these teams like a #12/11 should.  so far, we've put a couple of bad losses well behind us.  but each game is a game in and of itself.  just ask michigan.  they almost lost back to backs to un-ranked teams, one on their own floor.    we've overcome some obstacles on the way to our 6th win in a row.  we have a few different weapons.  and our defense is incredibly improved. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2019, 09:43:24 PM »
It's a big "if," Goose, but if the Warriors can clean up the turnovers, I will feel much better about them for the long haul this season.

The turnover issue will define how far this team can go. This team has shown it is capable of defending well and getting several consecutive stops. A lot of times it seems that sloppy turnovers on the offensive end keep 6-0 or 8-0 runs from building into 12/14-0 type runs which can put games away.

I am optimistic they can tighten things up offensively. I feel like the Hausers will be a big part of that.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2019, 10:27:40 PM »
I am optimistic they can tighten things up offensively. I feel like the Hausers will be a big part of that.

I feel like several players, above and beyond the Hausers, will be a big part of that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2019, 10:30:11 PM »
Sam is better than Novak was.  Both were incredible 3pt shooters and amazing at FT.  But Novak wasn't able to create his own shots, couldn't post up, was weaker at defense and rebounding.  He also had a better PG in that both Wade and Diener were much better at creating shots for others, even though they also took plenty of shots. 

mug644

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2019, 11:13:49 PM »
  goose man-you're one of a handful of guys whose opinions on MU b-ball i pretty much just hang up and listen.  the hauser boys are gradually becoming a national story.  for announcers, it's a fun one to dig in to.  they are WINNERS!  they've come from winning, they eat, bleed and pee winning!  they are quiet leaders in that respect.  they aren't terribly athletic, but what they lack in athleticism, they make up for with the cranium.  a little larry bird happening?  3 state championships(very well coulda been 4) a 69 game winning streak...that's winning.  they bring all that to MU.  what a treat!  my only criticism of joey is when he makes that move midway, across the lane, he hesitates too much.  fake, go up and/or pass.  he get's too many turnovers here because this play/move is exhibit "A" on opposing teams tapes. 

o.k. that said, i do have to gloat on ya-memba eddie's?  time for another, eyn'a jonny and danno?

You said the two words I've always thought about when it comes to Sam. No way do I presume the success that Larry had, but Sam's understanding of the game and foundational skills have always made me think of Bird.

The left hand layup from under the basket just reaffirmed that to me.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2019, 07:50:44 AM »
I believe the NCAA rule allows any eligible player to shoot the two (type A technical) free throws.

I think an exception is if a player has just checked out of a game, then the technical is called before anytime has run off the clock.

Different than the shooter replacing an injured player substitution rule.

I was poking around the internet and the above is what I found.  I think it was perfectly legal to sub in Markus to take the FTs.  I doubt it would have been missed if it wasn't.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2019, 07:55:18 AM »
I was poking around the internet and the above is what I found.  I think it was perfectly legal to sub in Markus to take the FTs.  I doubt it would have been missed if it wasn't.

Learn something new every day.  Good to know.  Better that Wojo knew although Sammy taking them would have been fine too.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2019, 08:32:00 AM »
Novak had a much quicker release on his perimeter jumper than Sam does, and he was taller.  Novak is second to none in MU shooters when you combine his height, quick release, and accuracy.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2019, 09:51:22 AM »

One a sidebar, watching Joey make a D rebound, bring the ball upcourt and hit Sam with a perfect pass last night was a thing of beauty.

Then quickly turn and find Stephanie and Dave Hauser; they are everything two parents with kids playing together should be...just absolutely euphoric on big plays.  It's so cool to see.  It's become the running thing at games for our family...our grade school age daughters dream of being Carolyn's Hausers and our son curses us for not having another boy.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Goose

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2019, 11:54:30 AM »
The Lens

Very cool. Big, big fan of all the Hauser's !!!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2019, 03:03:45 PM »

One a sidebar, watching Joey make a D rebound, bring the ball upcourt and hit Sam with a perfect pass last night was a thing of beauty. He hit Sam in the exact spot to allow Sam to catch and shoot the three pointer.

I would fully expect this to happen.  They have been practicing that move in their driveway for over a decade.
Have some patience, FFS.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2019, 04:38:08 AM »
Warriorchick
If that is the case, why don’t they run that “move” around 15-20 times a game? I would think with practicing “the move” for a decade in the driveway, Wojo would have that as key play in his arsenal. For the record, Joey has made that “move” and executed it with Howard on several occasions this year. I noted that earlier in the season, but I wanted to mention in this thread because it was the two Hauser boys.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2019, 07:18:36 AM »
Warriorchick
If that is the case, why don’t they run that “move” around 15-20 times a game? I would think with practicing “the move” for a decade in the driveway, Wojo would have that as key play in his arsenal. For the record, Joey has made that “move” and executed it with Howard on several occasions this year. I noted that earlier in the season, but I wanted to mention in this thread because it was the two Hauser boys.

Goodness, I was making a joke.  It got some laughs in my section when I said it at the actual game.

Chillax, honey.  :)
Have some patience, FFS.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2019, 09:24:26 AM »
Chick
It must be that we have a more refined sense of humor in the lower bowl. But, I could see how that got some laughs upstairs.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2019, 11:54:46 AM »
Chick
It must be that we have a more refined sense of humor in the lower bowl. But, I could see how that got some laughs upstairs.

Sheesh.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2019, 12:00:06 PM »
Chick

I haven't laughed this hard since my last business transaction!
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.