Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Austin Nichols transferring from Memphis  (Read 62668 times)

Sharpie

• Team Captain
Re: Austin Nichols transferring from Memphis
« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2015, 05:42:00 PM »
Dude, how did you get an MU degree with your reading ability this bad?  Read it again you will see I said nothing bad about BD, I asked him why everything the coaching staff said to him was wrong and why they had no backup plan after Miller/Lee.

How did you get an MU degree? Ever look at your grammar or think about using punctuation? Take a seat.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #126 on: July 10, 2015, 05:51:43 PM »
So Austin Nichols huh??  Whatta talented PF.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #127 on: July 10, 2015, 06:22:27 PM »

He wouldn't be able to go as a transfer.  Rowsey cannot either.

Oh, okay.  Learn something new every day.  Thanks Sultan.

Do not thank him - he is wrong. Most often when people speak on rules and regulations they are wrong. Sultan has completely eff'd this one up.

Nichols would not be due able to head overseas, but only due to MU's academic calendar.

You can disagree with me on this topic, but you will be dead wrong.

Clarification: Rowsey's status as a transfer does not make him ineligible, rather his ineligibility to compete this season does.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 09:50:00 PM by Jay Bee »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #128 on: July 10, 2015, 07:02:02 PM »
So, he's wealthy, hey?
Wealthy ... but not nearly as wealthy as his orthopedist

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #129 on: July 10, 2015, 07:56:36 PM »
this is awesome....in one post responding to big daddy you say "how much of this should we believe" and a few posts later you use the source you just questioned (big daddy) as the only source for concerns over wojo's recruiting.  well done...

Like I said, the trolls want to hate, that is all they see

The "well done" was sarcastic.  Amazing to think that you are the one calling others reading comprehension into question.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #130 on: July 10, 2015, 07:58:33 PM »
Why is Heisenberg trying to call out BigDaddy?

Well, it's because everyone's eyeballs go right to BigDaddy's posts right when they see his name pop up on Scoop, while everyone scrolls quickly past Heisenberg's post because they know what it's going to be and know it's going to be a bunch of nonsense.

BigDaddy is what Heisenberg aspires to be.  He wants the attention that BigDaddy gets, so he has to try to tear BigDaddy down.  The big difference is that BigDaddy doesn't ask for the attention, he simply gets it because he provides solid information, while Heisenberg will just annoy people to death by saying anything and everything that he can to get people to read his stuff.  "You guys are all looking at him.  You should be looking at me!"

Damn.  I'd have to say you nailed it.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #131 on: July 10, 2015, 08:45:14 PM »
Austin Nichols Blocked from Going to Tennessee, Proving Memphis Head Coach Josh Pastner to be a Joke
by Caleb Calhoun

http://allfortennessee.com/2015/07/10/austin-nichols-blocked-from-going-to-tennessee-proving-memphis-head-coach-josh-pastner-to-be-a-joke/

Josh Pastner and the Memphis Tigers blocked Austin Nichols from transferring to the Tennessee Vols for reasons that prove once again he is a complete joke.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

So let’s get this straight: Josh Pastner leads the charge to discontinue the series with the Tennessee Vols because he says it’s an unfair recruiting advantage.

That alone was the weirdest excuse ever. You think Marquette would make the same excuse to discontinue a series with Wisconsin? You think anybody would avoid playing Kansas in basketball because of a recruiting ground disadvantage?

But now it gets worse. As you may have recently heard, Austin Nichols, whom Tennessee recruited hard when Cuonzo Martin was in Knoxville, is transferring. The Tigers set conditions on his transfer.

Fair enough. The condition was that he could not transfer to a school that would be a future Memphis opponent, according to reports in Memphis.

Guess who was on that report. Of course, the Tennessee Vols. The team that Pastner quit scheduling is now the team that he will consider a “future opponent” when blocking Nichols from transferring there.

In fact, according to CBS Sports columnist Gary Parrish, Memphis actually did send Tennessee an email claiming they were a future opponent.

Does anybody else not find this to be reflective of how the Memphis Tigers handle everything with Tennessee? If you are not going to play Tennessee in the future, and if you don’t consider it a rivalry anymore, then why do you care if he transfers there?

There are only three possible explanations.

The first would be Pastner and the athletic department plan to renew the basketball rivalry that was great for both teams and the sport as a whole. Not likely.

The second is the petty little-sister mentality of the school. Memphis has always felt second-tier to Tennessee, and in response to the football programs being on different wavelengths (the series is 22-1 in favor of Tennessee), they try to act like the basketball program is the reverse, even though Tennessee actually leads the basketball series overall.

But the third is the most plausible in this situation. Pastner is becoming more and more of a laughingstock and blocked this to not look like more of a joke. It is becoming evident he is a failure at the University of Memphis who schedules as easy as possible and sells great recruiting classes simply to keep his job without actually performing on the court.

He has yet to take the Tigers out of the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament despite these highly ranked recruiting classes, and half of the guys in these classes transfer out anyway.

As bad as he looks right now going into his seventh year, imagine how much worse it would be if he lost one of his prized recruits to Tennessee, a program so bad that it just hired its third head coach in as many years and fired the second of its past three coaches due to recruiting scandals.

Pastner already is a coach hanging by a thread. In reality, he is a complete joke who can do nothing but recruit. But through easy scheduling and a few years in a terrible conference in which he had a much more talented team all those years, he was able to fool everybody by racking up wins.

The funny thing of all this is that Tennessee still hangs over Memphis’s head, despite not having played them in either sport in three years. Pastner knows that and makes a fool of himself handling it.

And that is why, for no stated real reason whatsoever, he is blocking Nichols from going to Tennessee.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #132 on: July 10, 2015, 09:35:00 PM »
You put a lot of thought, and typed a lot of words, for something that precisely no one here cares about.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #133 on: July 10, 2015, 09:38:22 PM »
You put a lot of thought, and typed a lot of words, for something that precisely no one here cares about.

Hello and welcome to muscoop, I'm chitown and ill be your guide here this evening.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #134 on: July 10, 2015, 09:44:35 PM »
That piece of sheet article was written by a whiny little beoch Tenn Vol fan-- I'd guarantee it.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #135 on: July 10, 2015, 09:58:25 PM »
Hello and welcome to muscoop, I'm chitown and ill be your guide here this evening.

Quickly sum up what Walter White said above.

Thanks guide!!
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #136 on: July 10, 2015, 10:06:57 PM »
Quickly sum up what Walter White said above.

Thanks guide!!

Nobody ever knows.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #137 on: July 10, 2015, 10:45:58 PM »
Why is it unfair to ask why all those "plan 1", "plan 2" two and "plan 3" fell apart in like three days and they had nothing after that.  Unless Marotta's kid was the backup plan.

Because in this case, BD was the messenger. Your issue is with the message. You are asking BD to answer questions effectively above his pay grade. He tried to provide information as was current to the best knowledge given to him at the time. It didn't work out that way.

Seriously, just move on from this. The staff targeted Lee and Miller and missed out. It happens. That's recruiting. Don't try to crucify the guy for his efforts to keep you informed just because sometimes what he's told doesn't come to pass.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #138 on: July 11, 2015, 05:09:25 AM »

He doesn't type anything.  Copy and paste. Rinse and repeat.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #139 on: July 11, 2015, 12:49:35 PM »
Because in this case, BD was the messenger. Your issue is with the message. You are asking BD to answer questions effectively above his pay grade. He tried to provide information as was current to the best knowledge given to him at the time. It didn't work out that way.

Seriously, just move on from this. The staff targeted Lee and Miller and missed out. It happens. That's recruiting. Don't try to crucify the guy for his efforts to keep you informed just because sometimes what he's told doesn't come to pass.

+1,000,000,000,000
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #140 on: July 11, 2015, 01:23:38 PM »

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #141 on: July 11, 2015, 01:32:11 PM »
Do not thank him - he is wrong. Most often when people speak on rules and regulations they are wrong. Sultan has completely eff'd this one up.

Rowsey should be eligible so long as he has earned 3 credits this summer.

Nichols would not be due able to head overseas, but only due to MU's academic calendar.

You can disagree with me on this topic, but you will be dead wrong.

Agree with you on Nichols, but not sure about Rowsey. In Wojo's Twitter Q&A a few weeks back he was asked...

"Q. Are all incoming transfers/freshman traveling to Italy? #askwojo @steve_wojo @MUHoops

A: Due to NCAA rules, Andrew Rowsey can't make the trip, but everyone else will be there"

I don't know the rules, so it's possible that Rowsey won't make the trip because he just simply didn't take 3 credits this Summer. But to call Sultan "dead wrong" for saying that Rowsey won't be making the trip is "dead wrong". Call down.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #142 on: July 11, 2015, 03:07:04 PM »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #143 on: July 11, 2015, 03:13:42 PM »
Agree with you on Nichols, but not sure about Rowsey. In Wojo's Twitter Q&A a few weeks back he was asked...

"Q. Are all incoming transfers/freshman traveling to Italy? #askwojo @steve_wojo @MUHoops

A: Due to NCAA rules, Andrew Rowsey can't make the trip, but everyone else will be there"

I don't know the rules, so it's possible that Rowsey won't make the trip because he just simply didn't take 3 credits this Summer. But to call Sultan "dead wrong" for saying that Rowsey won't be making the trip is "dead wrong". Call down.

Thank you.  I was wrong that he couldn't go "as a transfer," but apparently because he hasn't earned enough credits.  So if Rowsey would have announced his transfer early enough to be in the first summer session, and earned those credits, he could have gone then.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #144 on: July 11, 2015, 03:15:02 PM »

Who doesn't, hey?

I met BJ Armstrong while waiting for a table at one of the restaurants at the Amana Colonies. He had just been drafted in the 1st round by the Bulls. He was a really good guy. I told the boys who he was and they immediately went and got paper and a pen to get his autograph. He laughed as he signed, saying these were his first autographs as a pro.

Death on call

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #145 on: July 11, 2015, 03:22:49 PM »
I met BJ Armstrong while waiting for a table at one of the restaurants at the Amana Colonies. He had just been drafted in the 1st round by the Bulls. He was a really good guy. I told the boys who he was and they immediately went and got paper and a pen to get his autograph. He laughed as he signed, saying these were his first autographs as a pro.

Those autographs didn't wind up being worth a lot, a'inal?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #146 on: July 11, 2015, 03:37:25 PM »
Those autographs didn't wind up being worth a lot, a'inal?

pretty much...

the boys were thrilled. He was their favorite NBA player as a result though

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #147 on: July 11, 2015, 05:03:03 PM »
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #148 on: July 12, 2015, 03:23:22 PM »

Shortly after we moved to Chicago in 1994, Steve Kerr was signing autographs at the Dominick's grocery store right down the street from us. My son, then 7 or so, found the Kerr basketball card in the Bulls set someone had given me and asked if we could go to the session. I hate waiting in line for those things but reluctantly agreed.

When we got there, Kerr was sitting by himself -- no agent, no store employee -- and there was nobody in line. I remember actually feeling a little sorry for him. My son sheepishly approached him for the autograph, and Kerr couldn't have been nicer, talking to my son (and me) for several minutes, asking where we had moved from, how much we liked Chicago, etc.

He instantly became one of my son's favorite players, and we're both glad Kerr has gone on to have such success in the NBA as a player and coach.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #149 on: July 12, 2015, 07:47:56 PM »
In Regards to Transfers and this Josh Pastner article.....when Transfers leave US aren't they blocked from BIGEAST schools and WISCONSIN?
Maybe I'm wrong...just a question. Don't need my head ripped off, just simple asking a question....and wondering just how common that theme is.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

feedback