Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Proposed Wisconsin Law...Where was this when we needed it!!!  (Read 8397 times)

DiaperDandy

• Starter
New Proposed Wisconsin Law...Where was this when we needed it!!!
« on: September 26, 2013, 09:24:25 PM »
A bill has been proposed in Wisconsin to protect race based school nicknames....what could have been!
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/09/26/wis-bill-aims-to-guard-race-based-school-nicknames/
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 09:28:22 PM by DiaperDandy »

ResidentBrown

• Scholarship Player
Re: New Proposed Wisconsin Law...Where was this when we needed it!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 09:41:49 PM »
This bill is just great for democracy overall. No longer can one overly sensitive individual hold an entire school district hostage. Now if a name truly is offensive, the constituents must agree that it is so, and prove it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 09:42:28 PM »
Maybe they'll do sit ins in the capital to protest this proposed law.  Or better yet, you could call in sick and have UW-madison doctors make up doctor's notes saying you were sick, that way you're covered from being out and people can protest.

If they are forced to change the name, send the bill to Dane County.

ResidentBrown

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 09:49:24 PM »
They're still trying to scrub the filth from the marbled surfaces left by those mongrels last time they did the sit in.

Maybe they'll do sit ins in the capital to protest this proposed law.  Or better yet, you could call in sick and have UW-madison doctors make up doctor's notes saying you were sick, that way you're covered from being out and people can protest.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 10:01:44 PM »
Maybe they'll do sit ins in the capital to protest this proposed law.  Or better yet, you could call in sick and have UW-madison doctors make up doctor's notes saying you were sick, that way you're covered from being out and people can protest.

you're kind of a jerk. spent a few hours protesting in madison on behalf of children who need badger care and on behalf of my parents who spent 30 years each helping children similar to those in buzz's bunch.  the fact that you are ripping that group makes me all the more comfortable in standing with them.  your tag states, "knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers."  i believe i'm fortunate to know a few people with great wisdom on both sides of the political spectrum.  none of whom would post the type of comments you do.  
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 10:10:11 PM by avid1010 »

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 10:11:16 PM »
you're kind of a jerk. spent a few hours protesting in madison on behalf of children who need badger care and on behalf of my parents who spent 30 years each helping children similar to those in buzz's bunch.  the fact that you are ripping that group makes me all the more comfortable in standing with them.  your tag states, "knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers."  i believe i'm fortunate to know a few people with great wisdom on both sides of the political spectrum.  none of whom who post the type of comments you do. 

So your as unbiased as they come?  Two parents directly involved.  No matter which side of the dispute you are on, the activities of most of those protesters was way over the top and inappropriate.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 10:17:36 PM »
you're kind of a jerk. spent a few hours protesting in madison on behalf of children who need badger care and on behalf of my parents who spent 30 years each helping children similar to those in buzz's bunch.  the fact that you are ripping that group makes me all the more comfortable in standing with them.  your tag states, "knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers."  i believe i'm fortunate to know a few people with great wisdom on both sides of the political spectrum.  none of whom would post the type of comments you do.  

I'm talking about what happened two + years ago and has absolutely NOTHING to do with what you did your sit in for.  Next time, before you assume you know, find out before leveling the poutrage.

http://chronicle.com/blogs/ticker/u-of-wisconsin-doctors-are-disciplined-for-writing-sick-notes-for-protesters/42120

May God Bless you and the fish you catch. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 11:29:50 PM »
A bill has been proposed in Wisconsin to protect race based school nicknames....what could have been!
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/09/26/wis-bill-aims-to-guard-race-based-school-nicknames/

Not really, applies only to schools through 12th grade.  Heck, IIRC, it wasn't even NCAA pressure that caused MU to drop the nickname, but it was dropped after reflection by the MU Administration after it was objected to by some Native Wisconsinites. 
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 12:10:33 AM »
Sorry, the "Gold" thread wore out my patience for this topic. We are the Golden Eagles. Have been for over 20 years. Get over it
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 06:39:44 AM »
Sorry, the "Gold" thread wore out my patience for this topic. We are the Golden Eagles. Have been for over 20 years. Get over it

Yeah, but Golden Eagles is just as uninspiring, generic and community dividing as it was 20 years ago.

In positive Golden Eagle news, did you see pictures of that Russian golden eagle take out a full sized deer recently? Pretty crazy. As it cool as it was, it would have been much more dramatic and awesome if it had been a warrior eagle instead of a golden eagle, in my humble opinion. Just sayin'

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 06:49:57 AM »
Yeah, but Golden Eagles is just as uninspiring, generic and community dividing as it was 20 years ago.

In positive Golden Eagle news, did you see pictures of that Russian golden eagle take out a full sized deer recently? Pretty crazy. As it cool as it was, it would have been much more dramatic and awesome if it had been a warrior eagle instead of a golden eagle, in my humble opinion. Just sayin'
Marquette Russian Golden Eagles would be a solid nickname...but would probably be deemed culturally insensitive.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 07:08:26 AM »
Superbar?

Speaking of Superbar, anybody remember when Wendy's had a salad bar which included tacos.  it was like 3 dollars and I would just go nuts on tacos.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 07:41:35 AM »
I do not remember that but it sounds fantastic.  Protest at wendy's to bring back the taco bar??

chapman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 07:49:06 AM »
Marquette Russian Golden Eagles would be a solid nickname...but would probably be deemed culturally insensitive.

I'm sure actual Russians wouldn't mind.  However, people without a drop of Russian (or golden eagle) blood would decide they are offended for them.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 07:50:34 AM »
Superbar?

Speaking of Superbar, anybody remember when Wendy's had a salad bar which included tacos.  it was like 3 dollars and I would just go nuts on tacos.

I remember that.  Wedndy's used to also serve hotdogs.  It might have been seasonal, because I remember getting a hot dog around the 4th of July; it came in a cardboard container that looked like the American Flag and said "All-American Dog" on it.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 08:01:49 AM »
Superbar?

It was good when it came out, but after the initial fad wore off and the taco ingredients sat for several hours, it was worse than Amigos with the green sauce at 3AM after a dozen RWBs.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 08:09:10 AM »
I would like to say that it was probably 1990-1993 when they had the Wendys Super Bar Salad bar.  Perhaps Junior Bridgeman or Caron Butler could shed some light on the issue

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 08:35:43 AM »

I'd say the same thing about the Washington Redskins....they've been that way for oer 80 years. They are the Washington Redskins. Get over it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 08:36:34 AM »
I'm sure actual Russians wouldn't mind.  However, people without a drop of Russian (or golden eagle) blood would decide they are offended for them.

+1

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 08:41:58 AM »
So your as unbiased as they come?  Two parents directly involved.  No matter which side of the dispute you are on, the activities of most of those protesters was way over the top and inappropriate.

Yeah that's right.  Let's arrest them instead for conducting peaceful protests in the capitol building.  I mean, what is this?  A democracy?

Look, I have no horse in this race and I know that a lot of Walker's reforms were needed, but what they have been doing with the "capitol singers" is simply mean spirited nonsense.  People should have a right to protest in the capitol as long as they aren't limiting access.  

(I guess if the mods are going to ignore their own rules about political posts, I'm going all in.)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 08:51:47 AM »
Wisconsin GOP: Decisions about how our schools are run must rest in the hands of locally elected school boards!*

* Nicknames not included.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 09:14:19 AM »

Yeah that's right.  Let's arrest them instead for conducting peaceful protests in the capitol building.  I mean, what is this?  A democracy?

Look, I have no horse in this race and I know that a lot of Walker's reforms were needed, but what they have been doing with the "capitol singers" is simply mean spirited nonsense.  People should have a right to protest in the capitol as long as they aren't limiting access.  

(I guess if the mods are going to ignore their own rules about political posts, I'm going all in.)

OK, I'm in too....

Mrs. Chili is a teacher in Hudson.  Regardless of how you felt about Walker's changes, his methods for how he overturned collective bargaining for public employees convinced her to be a "card carrying liberal".  Trust me, she wasn't that way previously.  She's been putting up with me for 20+ years.....she is most tolerant.   ;D

What gives me heartburn is why he excluded police and firefighters.  To my way of thinking, a public employee is a public employee.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 09:14:53 AM »
And.......In before the lock.   ;D ;D

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 09:24:50 AM »

Also in before the lock...

Mean spirited nonsense?  They have been told to get a permit and they are fine, it's simply a desire to protest any thing Walker does.  And I would add, it's nto just limiting access but also the ability of people to get work done and kids/tourists to see the building and hear tour guides

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 09:30:20 AM »

Yeah that's right.  Let's arrest them instead for conducting peaceful protests in the capitol building.  I mean, what is this?  A democracy?

Look, I have no horse in this race and I know that a lot of Walker's reforms were needed, but what they have been doing with the "capitol singers" is simply mean spirited nonsense.  People should have a right to protest in the capitol as long as they aren't limiting access. 

At the height of the protests (Which I believe Chicos is mentioning) there was a lot of inappropriate behavior.  Lots of vulgarity addressed towards people just walking around doing their jobs in the capital, trashing of the capital, and just being disruptive to be disruptive.  What started as a relatively peaceful however loud protest attracted a few people who also had no horse in the race and just wanted to cause trouble.  Those few caused a lot of headaches and really detracted what others were trying to accomplish by the protest.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 09:35:12 AM »
So... How bout that new fangled College basketball thing kids are talking about am I right?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 09:35:42 AM »
At the height of the protests (Which I believe Chicos is mentioning) there was a lot of inappropriate behavior.  Lots of vulgarity addressed towards people just walking around doing their jobs in the capital, trashing of the capital, and just being disruptive to be disruptive.  What started as a relatively peaceful however loud protest attracted a few people who also had no horse in the race and just wanted to cause trouble.  Those few caused a lot of headaches and really detracted what others were trying to accomplish by the protest.

I understand that.  But "sit ins in the capitol" aren't a problem.  

They're still trying to scrub the filth from the marbled surfaces left by those mongrels last time they did the sit in.

And then you have bullsh*t statements like this to deal with.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 10:15:35 AM »

You call that a full sized deer? Deer in Russia sure are smaller than Wisconsin whitetails, that thing couldn't have weighed 50 pounds!

Still pretty impressive kill but...

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 10:26:15 AM by Red Stripe »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 10:16:57 AM »
BTW, this law would not have been applicable in the Marquette scenario by any means.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 10:38:21 AM »

Politics aside, I found his choice of vocabulary rather piquant which in its own way is deserving of appreciation.

Death on call

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2013, 12:00:49 PM »

Not completely bullsh*t... the filth is still there, but it's just not from the protestors.  The filth you see today is mostly the filth that people have been electing for the past decade.

(Note to mods: This is not a political statement.  It's a condemnation of politics.)
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2013, 12:06:45 PM »

What the???  The Terror Skink is extinct again?

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2013, 12:30:15 PM »
Not really, applies only to schools through 12th grade.  Heck, IIRC, it wasn't even NCAA pressure that caused MU to drop the nickname, but it was dropped after reflection by the MU Administration after it was objected to by some Native Wisconsinites. 
And the Potawatomi offered barrels of $$.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2013, 01:45:36 PM »
Wisconsin GOP: Decisions about how our schools are run must rest in the hands of locally elected school boards!*

* Nicknames not included.

Actually, you're arguing the opposite.  They are trying to get the local school the power to decide, aren't they?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2013, 01:47:47 PM »

Not always, plenty of video evidence to support that.  Of course, all a matter of degree what someone defines as peaceful, vs rude, vs obstructive.  There are also pesky things called permits needed, which folks didn't have. 

Nevertheless, it was fun to watch and I'm glad the UW-madison doctors lied and violated their ethical duties to give those sick notes, etc. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2013, 02:17:22 PM »
Actually, you're arguing the opposite.  They are trying to get the local school the power to decide, aren't they?

Not entirely... a better way to put it is that the new legislation takes the power away from a single person.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2013, 03:11:14 PM »

Unless I'm misreading, the legislation would establish a nearly impossible burden to change a nickname, thus stripping anyone on the local level of the authority to do so.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2013, 03:15:10 PM »
Unless I'm misreading, the legislation would establish a nearly impossible burden to change a nickname, thus stripping anyone on the local level of the authority to do so.
No, it strips one person with an agenda the ability to change a nickname.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2013, 03:17:25 PM »

The school board can still voluntarily change a nickname.

But if they get enough signatures, equal to 10% of the student body, they can petition the Department of Administration (???) to force a name change.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2013, 03:46:04 PM »
Vote Quimby.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2013, 04:19:03 PM »
Nevertheless, it was fun to watch and I'm glad the UW-madison doctors lied and violated their ethical duties to give those sick notes, etc. 

If this is correct then it represents a significant ethical breach. These guys should have their medical licenses suspended if not pulled. One of our principals in a clinical trials business in Asia was A.G. Breitenstein, one of the leading authorities on the legal dimensions of medical ethics. A.G. drafted the Hippa law for Sen Kennedy. She would crucify practitioners who abuse their mandate in such a way.

Death on call

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2013, 06:10:19 PM »
If this is correct then it represents a significant ethical breach. These guys should have their medical licenses suspended if not pulled. One of our principals in a clinical trials business in Asia was A.G. Breitenstein, one of the leading authorities on the legal dimensions of medical ethics. A.G. drafted the Hippa law for Sen Kennedy. She would crucify practitioners who abuse their mandate in such a way.

Yes this happened not sure how many doctors but more than a couple

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2013, 06:27:24 PM »
Actually, you're arguing the opposite.  They are trying to get the local school the power to decide, aren't they?
not even close...which is why the state school board association objected to many aspects of the plan...local boards were  restricted...especially pertaining to taxes.  our public (and private) schools are now under more state government control than ever.  that's why reps are fighting for no accountability for voucher schools...they want state money, but they don't want accountability because it leads to state control.  it's a very non-partisan reality to realize that if/when wisconsin goes dem again these private schools that went voucher will see a level of state control that they never wanted, and there will be nothing they can do as they are relying on state $$$.

i really thought the one benefit of all this would be that we would get a balanced state budget...instead we adopted a different set of accounting principles and kicked the can down the road.  same crap as doyle and thompson.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 06:52:33 PM by avid1010 »

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2013, 06:43:07 PM »
Not always, plenty of video evidence to support that.  Of course, all a matter of degree what someone defines as peaceful, vs rude, vs obstructive.  There are also pesky things called permits needed, which folks didn't have. 

i find it amazing you would take offense with those doctors, yet have no comment about walker's conversation with "david koch."  amazing how all those people were negatively effected and insulted by walker...yet never got violent.  yet, walker openly admits he thought about planting troublemakers in the crowd.  i see one of those doctors, and i can tell you he's as ethical as they come. 

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/116751499.html

i think i hated unions more before all of this then i do today.  looking at the research...the schools with the best ACT average scores (the test that walker approved as satisfying the state high school testing requirement) are all union...those at the very bottom of the list are right to work states. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2013, 07:30:36 PM »
i see one of those doctors, and i can tell you he's as ethical as they come. 

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/116751499.html

If your doctor abused his license as alleged then he behaved unethically. Do not confuse patient care with medical ethics. There is a huge difference. And ethical norms and standards determine who is allowed to practice medicine. End of discussion.

Death on call

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2013, 09:12:45 PM »
Superbar?

Aw hellllllll yeah.  And they had 2 types of pudding too: chocolate and vanilla.  Those were the days--back when Dave Thomas was a visionary steering a ship of greatness and tacos.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2013, 09:38:32 PM »
So... How bout that new fangled College basketball thing kids are talking about am I right?

Michigan better football program than Oregon...overall.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2013, 09:42:09 PM »
Not entirely... a better way to put it is that the new legislation takes the power away from a single person.

I'm fine that interpretation as well.  Either way, in this case the local school is trying to make a decision that impacts them and their area.  Or in other words, they know better about their area than Madison.  Plus there is the common sense part of it where we have gone so extremely bizarro on some of these things that it becomes the power of the minority dictating policy in some cases.  The voice of one overcomes the voice of many...I get preventing the tyranny of the majority, but we have over corrected to the other side.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2013, 03:52:01 PM »

Actually, they were sick and tired notes.  ;D

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2013, 05:01:21 PM »
Michigan better football program than Oregon...overall.

The Objective Facts:

Michigan Record:   907–315–36 (.735)

Most Wins by a College Football Team
Highest Winning Percentage of any College Football Team
11 National Titles
78 All Americans
3 Heisman Winners
1 US President

Winged Helmet
The Big House
Hail to the Victors!

Oregon Record:   603–472–46 (.558)

0 National Titles
5 All Americans
0 Heisman Winners
0 US Presidents

Phil Knight Uniforms
Autzen Stadium
Mighty Oregon

The Intangibles:

Oregon wins

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2013, 06:08:13 PM »
Keefe is back, y'all.
Have some patience, FFS.