[Today at 01:06:18 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:57:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

since:

Friday
52 (36.6%)
Shaka
42 (29.6%)
31 (21.8%)
8 (5.6%)
0 (0%)
2 (1.4%)
0 (0%)
Ever
7 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 142

Author Topic: Sunday is the most important game...  (Read 3919 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Sunday is the most important game...
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2024, 04:29:14 PM »
Yep. In reality, no one with any sway gives a sh*t what is "unacceptable" to Porky's. Or any other Scooper really. Shaka's not getting fired - it wouldn't even be a blemish on his performance review.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

FairWeatherEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2024, 04:35:25 PM »
Good Poll, good comments. I chose 2003 but should have picked Shaka. Next Sunday would be 2003.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2024, 04:41:33 PM »
Yeah, it's the typical non-threat threat.

I mean, if we don't get to the Elite 8 ... then what? Will Mr. Butthole "quit" Marquette basketball? Will Porky demand that Shaka be fired? What does "unacceptable" even mean?

And why stop at the Elite 8? That's acceptable, Sweet 16 is unacceptable, Final Four is super acceptable?

What really bothers me is that he probably used the word unacceptable without the express permission from its Scoop owner. That may fall under copyright infringement.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2024, 04:50:08 PM »

I mean, if we don't get to the Elite 8 ... then what? Will Mr. Butthole "quit" Marquette basketball? Will Porky demand that Shaka be fired? What does "unacceptable" even mean?

And why stop at the Elite 8? That's acceptable, Sweet 16 is unacceptable, Final Four is super acceptable?

No Mr. Butthole won't ever quit Marquette basketball.   Overall Porky is thrilled with Mr. Smart, the culture he has established, and the trajectory of the program generally.  Porky's enthusiasm will be just as strong moving forward regardless of the outcome of tomorrow's game.  That said it will still be incredibly disappointing if we don't win tomorrow and in Porky's view, unacceptable.

You said it yourself 82, Like it or not coaches and programs are judged mostly by NCAA Tournament success.  That is how it should be IPHO.  Fortunately the coaching staff and team are well aware of that and will rise to the occasion both tomorrow and next Thursday or Friday.   Anything beyond that is gravy.  LET'S GO!

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2024, 04:51:55 PM »
No Mr. Butthole won't ever quit Marquette basketball.   Overall Porky is thrilled with Mr. Smart, the culture he has established, and the trajectory of the program generally.  Porky's enthusiasm will be just as strong moving forward regardless of the outcome of tomorrow's game.  That said it will still be incredibly disappointing if we don't win tomorrow and in Porky's view, unacceptable.

So it's "unacceptable," but in a way that apparently doesn't have any sort of consequences.  ::)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2024, 04:57:32 PM »

You said it yourself 82, Like it or not coaches and programs are judged mostly by NCAA Tournament success.  That is how it should be IPHO.  Fortunately the coaching staff and team are well aware of that and will rise to the occasion both tomorrow and next Thursday or Friday.   Anything beyond that is gravy.  LET'S GO!

We're mostly in agreement ... except for your unacceptable use of the word "unacceptable."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2024, 05:07:13 PM »

So it's "unacceptable," but in a way that apparently doesn't have any sort of consequences.  ::)

That's the way the word "unacceptable" has been used countless times on Scoop by the word's owner. Nothing new to see here.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2024, 05:14:30 PM »
That's the way the word "unacceptable" has been used countless times on Scoop by the word's owner. Nothing new to see here.

Oh I know.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2024, 05:41:41 PM »

Maybe…and I’m just spitballing here…you’re giving a little too much thought to the musings of someone who refers to himself as “PorkysButthole”.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2024, 05:42:29 PM »
I know what you're saying with these comments and I like the perspective you're providing.

Like it or not, though, NCAA tournament success (or failure) is ultimately how a coach and program is judged. You might not judge it that way, and others might not judge it that way. But overall, IMHO, it is judged that way. And right now, nationally and even locally, there's a "but" when folks talk about what Shaka has accomplished. That's what happens when, as a coach and a program, you go more than a decade without getting to the second weekend.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the great regular seasons we've had under Shaka. I loved the 20-2 run we had in 2018-19. I enjoyed some of the great stretches and individual wins from the Buzz and Crean eras, etc etc etc.

But I also was very much stoked by the Sweet 16 runs in 2011 and 2012, and the Elite 8 run in 2013. Kevin O'Neill got rich from his 1994 Sweet 16 run. And of course what happened in the 2003 tournament made Wade a superstar, made Diener an icon and in many ways made Crean's career.

I don't think it needs an either/or situation. One can appreciate regular-season success while wanting more.

I will say I will be very disappointed if we lose tomorrow and I admit it will take a little shine off of this season for me. But after the initial disappointment, I'll still have greatly appreciated the run we've had behind Oso and TK ... even as I feel a little sad about unfinished business.

The good news is that we aren't gonna lose tomorrow!

Fans judge that way.  ADs understand that judging a coach on one game is dumb
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Judge Smails

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2024, 05:45:26 PM »
Maybe…and I’m just spitballing here…you’re giving a little too much thought to the musings of someone who refers to himself as “PorkysButthole”.
LOL

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2024, 07:06:40 PM »

Hahaha this got me

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2024, 07:07:49 PM »
In world where the definition of literally is literally not referring literal anymore I think it is acceptable to use unacceptable in a situation where it would disappointing but acceptable.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2024, 08:54:01 PM »
In world where the definition of literally is literally not referring literal anymore I think it is acceptable to use unacceptable in a situation where it would disappointing but acceptable.

This is inexcusable!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2024, 08:57:43 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback