[May 16, 2024, 04:26:22 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Bans Kneeling During National Anthem  (Read 14324 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: NFL Bans Kneeling During National Anthem
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2018, 06:34:00 PM »

I will continue to stay in the concourse or use the restroom during the anthem and I hope others will do the same.

See you there, Billy. The concourse, I mean.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2018, 06:46:00 PM »
I like Chris Long.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2018, 07:55:42 PM »

I went to three Panthers games last season and did just that. I didn't enter the stands until after the anthem.

Meanwhile, thousands of patriotic fans - no doubt, many of whom ripped on the players - were in the corridors, stuffing their faces, smoking, browsing in the fan shop, taking whizzes ... you know all the stuff patriots do during the anthem.

Thank goodness none of them had taken a knee!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2018, 08:22:20 PM »

Here they do 'god bless america' during the 7th inning stretch and i sit.  during the anthem i'm in the concourse too.

i think Jason Kander has a great quote on this:  "Patriotism isn't about making everyone stand and salute the flag.  Patriotism is about making this a country where everyone wants to." 

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2018, 08:38:02 PM »
If the anthem and flag are that important, then the NFL shouldn't allow concessions or other sales. Further, they should uphold the entire flag code.

At Bears games I go to they stop.  Concessionaire waits until the song is over.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2018, 08:39:35 PM »
NFL is stuck either way, but for them to make this ruling their data clearly showed them which way they were going.  Those boys follow the money, so their research had to show them that they were losing money based on the issue.  That's the one motivating factor.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2018, 10:19:33 PM »
NFL is stuck either way, but for them to make this ruling their data clearly showed them which way they were going.  Those boys follow the money, so their research had to show them that they were losing money based on the issue.  That's the one motivating factor.

True dat, chicos. Billionaires always follow the money. And in this situation, it's hard for me to say I blame them. I'm disappointed in them, but I don't blame them.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2018, 11:06:19 PM »
Compulsory patriotism is no longer patriotism, it's nationalism. Forced behavior is how it's done in countries like North Korea. This is a disgusting place for our country to be in. Rather than working to fix the problems that created the behavior, ban the behavior and ignore the problem. Stuff like this makes me absolutely sick to be an American. What a sad state of affairs when we would rather sweep racism behind the curtain than address it head on.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2018, 11:54:55 PM »
how appropriate that this decree came out the same day at the video of the MPD and their egregious abuse of a fellow professional athlete was released.  You know, the reason the protests were happening in the first place.

I will continue to stay in the concourse or use the restroom during the anthem and I hope others will do the same.

MPD should be char-grill fileted on this one, but not so sure that....

"Bugatti drivers of the world, Unite!"...

is an endearing rallying cry.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2018, 12:08:21 AM »
I'm mostly just surprised that they did anything to placate the one driving this - it's not like he's going to stop making this an issue. If a player blinks during the anthem this year, it will be brought right back into the forefront. Or whatever needs to be an "outrage" enough to keep this an issue.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2018, 07:33:55 AM »
I'm mostly just surprised that they did anything to placate the one driving this - it's not like he's going to stop making this an issue. If a player blinks during the anthem this year, it will be brought right back into the forefront. Or whatever needs to be an "outrage" enough to keep this an issue.

https://sports.yahoo.com/altering-anthem-policy-nfl-made-bigger-pinata-president-trump-smack-023721814.html

Yep.  The NFL PR is terrible.  It has been for years. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2018, 07:37:49 AM »
Wasn't this crapstorm finished already? 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2018, 07:46:40 AM »
"Maybe they shouldn't even be in the country."

Bang up job NFL.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2018, 08:28:59 AM »
This remains one of the dumbest controversies I've ever witnessed. I do not care if you kneel for the anthem. I do not care if the players are present for the anthem (they weren't always). I just don't get why people are outraged except because whichever relative side they're on are outraged, and thus they must be outraged too.

The only thing that bothers me about this whole kerfuffle is that it's taking up actual time and energy.

I swear I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but if this doesn't feel like the men behind the curtain making all of us minstrels dance to pointless manufactured controversy while avoiding addressing anything meaningful...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2018, 09:05:39 AM »
Compulsory patriotism is no longer patriotism, it's nationalism. Forced behavior is how it's done in countries like North Korea. This is a disgusting place for our country to be in. Rather than working to fix the problems that created the behavior, ban the behavior and ignore the problem. Stuff like this makes me absolutely sick to be an American. What a sad state of affairs when we would rather sweep racism behind the curtain than address it head on.

Eloquently stated, brew.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2018, 09:07:01 AM »
I swear I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but if this doesn't feel like the men behind the curtain making all of us minstrels dance to pointless manufactured controversy while avoiding addressing anything meaningful...

One does not need to be a conspiracy theorist to realize that the most powerful man in the world is an absolute expert at deflecting attention away from his own corrupt actions, at stoking fear and resentment, and at pitting Americans against their fellow Americans.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2018, 09:23:41 AM »
In regards to the National Anthem, I truly have no issue on what any one person does in regards to the Anthem. For me, I stand every time, hand on my heart and more times than not a tear in my eye. My Dad was WWII vet and I saw the look in his eye every time he stood for the Anthem. He was not a war hero by any stretch and he probably cut more corners than most when he served. I remember vividly him telling him that his time in the service was the best lifestyle he had ever lived up to that point in his life. He came from a broken family, little parental guidance and less money. His drive and love of American dream and love of country is with me to this day. To me, that is what the Anthem represents in my head and heart.

All that said, my only issue with those that do not care to participate in the Anthem is simple. I hope that every person that chose to not participate for their own reason, respects that there are people that do participate that have their own reason for doing so. I am not a patriot by any stretch, but I am a proud son that recalls an image of my Dad every time I hear the Anthem.

Lastly, I wanted to add that my family often started a large family gathering with the Anthem. This was done as fun and not purely out of radical patriotism. My Dad loved every Xmas eve my nephew playing the sax and his family of nearly 30 standing and singing the Anthem.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2018, 09:26:41 AM »
"Maybe they shouldn't even be in the country."

Bang up job NFL.

Maybe the ignorant Pig shouldn't be in the country. Who the f&@$ does he think he is?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2018, 09:34:23 AM »
In regards to the National Anthem, I truly have no issue on what any one person does in regards to the Anthem. For me, I stand every time, hand on my heart and more times than not a tear in my eye. My Dad was WWII vet and I saw the look in his eye every time he stood for the Anthem. He was not a war hero by any stretch and he probably cut more corners than most when he served. I remember vividly him telling him that his time in the service was the best lifestyle he had ever lived up to that point in his life. He came from a broken family, little parental guidance and less money. His drive and love of American dream and love of country is with me to this day. To me, that is what the Anthem represents in my head and heart.

All that said, my only issue with those that do not care to participate in the Anthem is simple. I hope that every person that chose to not participate for their own reason, respects that there are people that do participate that have their own reason for doing so. I am not a patriot by any stretch, but I am a proud son that recalls an image of my Dad every time I hear the Anthem.

Lastly, I wanted to add that my family often started a large family gathering with the Anthem. This was done as fun and not purely out of radical patriotism. My Dad loved every Xmas eve my nephew playing the sax and his family of nearly 30 standing and singing the Anthem.

That's a good story, Goose, and I wish you and your family continued health and happiness.

My dad also was a WWII veteran, and I'm 100% sure he would have supported the right of athletes (or anybody else) to quietly protest in the manner Kaepernick et al did. I remember talking to him about the "black power" fists that Tommie Smith and John Carlos displayed at the 1968 Olympics - that was an opportunity for discussion in our house, not an opportunity to condemn fellow Americans.

I happen to think it's silly to play the anthem before sporting events - why not at the movies, at Broadway plays, when the mall opens, etc. And I don't think that viewpoint makes me "less American." I'm cool with anything as long as we respect each other's rights.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2018, 09:43:16 AM »
We could write a book on the NFL owners and their PR teams overrating the loudest voices and making shortsighted decisions.  This is a great example, and its largely because McNair, Jerry Jones, Jerry Richardson (former), Haslam, Yosemite Sam, et. al. see twitter videos of morons "protesting" by wrecking and peeing on their possessions they've already purchased and then the owners yell through a puff of smoke "WAHOO, WELL I SAY, THAT COULD BE US!!" So then they hold a rich white guys closed door meeting, call a press conference, come out on stage, and show everyone their @$$.

They think that the smart economic play is to take a PR hardline against the protests, to ensure "Everyman, USA" doesn't turn on them. But that's so short sighted - what the hell else is that guy going to watch? He loves football, and until the league/teams got themselves so wrapped up in this, those fans would turn against individual players, but it wouldn't have even occurred to them to take their feelings out on teams or the league. A simple "Colin Kaepernick's actions do not represent the the position or opinion of the 49ers or the NFL" and then ignoring it would have caused this to all blow over. But the owners can't do that, because they only thing those lunatics care more about than their bottom line is looking like tough guys in public and exerting control.  So instead of this blowing over, the NFL is in a greater danger of actually having a lasting negative impact on its business model by alienating its pro-diversity constituency (including the businesses that are driving ad revenues and actually paying for all those luxury boxes in all those new $1B stadiums) and are further alienating its labor force, rather than wearing bad publicity for a few weeks (in the fall of 2016!!)

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2018, 10:01:52 AM »
I went to three Panthers games last season and did just that. I didn't enter the stands until after the anthem.

If you sincerely oppose NFL policy, politics and practices, then why do you enable this as a paying customer?  I haven't attended or watched an NFL game in over 5 years.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2018, 10:07:55 AM »
If you sincerely oppose NFL policy, politics and practices, then why do you enable this as a paying customer?  I haven't attended or watched an NFL game in over 5 years.

Because I enjoy the game and being a fan. I am able to root for the Panthers and yet roll my eyes at the faux patriotism that goes with Panthers games.

I hate a lot of things the NCAA does, but I still love to watch Marquette basketball.

I hate smoking and everything associated with it, but I invest in tobacco stocks.

I don't like the way gambling has ruined lives, but I agree with the SCOTUS decision that every state has the right to legalize it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2018, 10:13:04 AM »
MU82

While I think we likely are polar opposites, I always respect your viewpoint and how you present it. I never really understood the playing of the NA prior to sporting event, but it just seems normal because it has always been done. I happen to like it, but have no problem with those that do not.

It is funny, my Dad was a true conservative, but in regards to the freedom to do as you chose, he was 100% supportive. I remember the '68 Olympics and discussed with my parents over the years and had some great discussions on it. IMO, Smith and Carlos had every right to express themselves, similar to Kaepernick. IMO, we are great country because of our freedom to do as we please, within the law.

It is funny, but 4ever mentioned the Schoemperlin case in another post, and I remember that time in MKE big time. I remember my Dad stating he thought Schoemperlin was an idiot, but his anger at the cops was high. To be honest, while I respect policemen, my lack of trust in their judgement keeps me on my toes. In my life, I want to have as little interaction with a cop as possible.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2018, 10:23:39 AM »
Wasn't this crapstorm finished already?
Yeah, that's the thing here.  It really wasn't an issue until someone decided it would be a great political wedge tool.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2018, 10:54:09 AM »
MU82

While I think we likely are polar opposites, I always respect your viewpoint and how you present it. I never really understood the playing of the NA prior to sporting event, but it just seems normal because it has always been done. I happen to like it, but have no problem with those that do not.

It is funny, my Dad was a true conservative, but in regards to the freedom to do as you chose, he was 100% supportive. I remember the '68 Olympics and discussed with my parents over the years and had some great discussions on it. IMO, Smith and Carlos had every right to express themselves, similar to Kaepernick. IMO, we are great country because of our freedom to do as we please, within the law.

It is funny, but 4ever mentioned the Schoemperlin case in another post, and I remember that time in MKE big time. I remember my Dad stating he thought Schoemperlin was an idiot, but his anger at the cops was high. To be honest, while I respect policemen, my lack of trust in their judgement keeps me on my toes. In my life, I want to have as little interaction with a cop as possible.

You know, I'm pretty sure this Schoemperlin thing happened while I was at Marquette but I have absolutely no recollection of it. Musta been quarter-tap night!

We're cool, Goose. We don't agree on many things ... but we don't have to. That's 'Merica! Sometimes we challenge each other, and that's cool, too.