collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Merrimack Warriors beat Northwestern in hoops tonight  (Read 7568 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Merrimack Warriors beat Northwestern in hoops tonight
« on: November 09, 2019, 12:10:05 AM »
Woof
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 06:47:58 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Re: Merrimack beats Northwestern in hoops tonight
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 07:28:53 AM »
Unreal.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 07:58:35 AM »
The Collins shine might be wearing off a bit.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 10:55:11 AM »
Merrimac just moved to D1 this season. Guess they were ready
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 11:08:57 AM »
The B1G may be brutal this year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 11:30:12 AM »
Very kind of the basketball team, not wanting the football team to be lonely in its misery.

The good news is that relatively few Chicago sports fans care about Northwestern football, and even fewer care about Northwestern basketball.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 11:40:09 AM »
Merrimac just moved to D1 this season. Guess they were ready

They weren't ready when they lost by 20 to Maine 48 hours earlier.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 11:59:00 AM »
Quote by one of their fans.....”Collins has returned us to the Kevin O’Neill era”.

It’s early, they are young...hopefully they gel as a team.  Nice win for the Warriors of Merrimack...yes, that is their nickname
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 12:11:29 PM »
Quote by one of their fans.....”Collins has returned us to the Kevin O’Neill era”.

It’s early, they are young...hopefully they gel as a team.  Nice win for the Warriors of Merrimack...yes, that is their nickname
I am much more partial to the Monitor. But whatever floats your boat, I guess.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 12:47:33 PM »
They weren't ready when they lost by 20 to Maine 48 hours earlier.

The game against Maine was clearly a classic trap game.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 12:51:55 PM »
I find it interesting that Chicago has been a HS hoops hotbed since forever, and yet the Chicago teams in both the B14 and the BE are typically at the bottom of their conferences.

And I'm not buying the academic thing for NU. Duke does fine in the ACC, Stanford is typically competitive in the Pac 12, and Vandy has had a number of good teams in the SEC. The latter two rarely win their conferences, but they are not perennial hoops bottom dwellers. And yet the Chicago teams founder....

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 12:54:47 PM »
I find it interesting that Chicago has been a HS hoops hotbed since forever, and yet the Chicago teams in both the B14 and the BE are typically at the bottom of their conferences.

And I'm not buying the academic thing for NU. Duke does fine in the ACC, Stanford is typically competitive in the Pac 12, and Vandy has had a number of good teams in the SEC. The latter two rarely win their conferences, but they are not perennial hoops bottom dwellers. And yet the Chicago teams founder....

It's Illinois.

Bears, Blackhawks, Bulls, Northwestern, etc.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 01:10:05 PM »

It's Illinois.

Bears, Blackhawks, Bulls, Northwestern, etc.

Listing the Blackhawks with 3 cups in the last decade, and the Bulls who are probably the 3rd most successful NBA franchise and who have been rough but were the second best team in the East just 5ish years ago isn’t a great argument for trying to imply it’s a city with a culture of failure

dinger

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 01:23:15 PM »
I am much more partial to the Monitor. But whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Ironclad proof that northwestern isn't good

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 01:48:57 PM »

Years of kids going elsewhere and spreading their roots.  There isn’t much loyalty to Chicago and the guys that left are more likely to bring kids to their new home.  Couple that with AAU and travel teams, it’s not the same world
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2019, 01:59:29 PM »
Years of kids going elsewhere and spreading their roots.  There isn’t much loyalty to Chicago and the guys that left are more likely to bring kids to their new home.  Couple that with AAU and travel teams, it’s not the same world

This, and a lot of these kids just want to get out of Chicago.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2019, 02:13:02 PM »

I’d add that most of those hotbed recruits couldn’t survive academically at Northwestern.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2019, 04:41:23 PM »
I’d add that most of those hotbed recruits couldn’t survive academically at Northwestern.

Maybe.  Plenty of kids from Illinois have gotten into Duke
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2019, 04:59:36 PM »

Yep. And Stanford. And, of course, Wisconsin and Michigan, the Harvard and the Harvard-1A of the Midwest.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2019, 05:02:18 PM »

The elite players can get in anywhere, because that’s how it works.  They will largely go to the bluebloods or where Penny and others are writing goodwill checks.  It is the next level kids, 3 and 4 star backbone of program type kids that not all schools are as willing to just grant passage. 

There are exceptions like Stanford and a few others that have high academics and excel, of course.  The CPL isn’t exactly known for educational prowess which also hasn’t helped.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 09:13:18 PM by Cheeks »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2019, 05:42:02 PM »
Pat Spencer , who won the Tewaaraton Award in lacrosse at Loyola Maryland ( lacrosse equivalent of Heisman), is starting for Northwestern as a grad transfer senior. The kid is obviously an elite level athlete, however, it says something about NU basketball recruiting or lack thereof. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2019, 06:45:17 PM »
This, and a lot of these kids just want to get out of Chicago.

not only do they want to get out of chicago, but others don't want to go there either.  including elite coaches evidently
don't...don't don't don't don't

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2019, 06:49:10 PM »
not only do they want to get out of chicago, but others don't want to go there either.  including elite coaches evidently

The exodus from Chicago and the state is not limited to athletes...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2019, 07:05:38 PM »
Pat Spencer , who won the Tewaaraton Award in lacrosse at Loyola Maryland ( lacrosse equivalent of Heisman), is starting for Northwestern as a grad transfer senior. The kid is obviously an elite level athlete, however, it says something about NU basketball recruiting or lack thereof.

1000%. People keep talking about Greg Paulus and Chris Hogan. Paulus was a top rated QB recruit and could have played at Miami or ND. Hogan dropped down to a mediocre FCS program to play football for a year.

Pat Spencer was second team All Metro Baltimore his senior year. I looked up the 1st team for fun. Recruits to Siena, Bucknell, Slippery Rock, and Drew Edwards who has been wallpaper at Providence. So Spencer was likely a D2-level recruit at best in BB. So now after playing a different sport for 4 years, he’s B10 worthy? And not only is he playing, he’s starting? Pretty damning indictment of the talent at NW to be sure. Brutal

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2019, 07:25:54 PM »
The exodus from Chicago and the state is not limited to athletes...

that's what the "cost of living(or dying)" will do to ya, eyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

feedback