collapse

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[Today at 04:10:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 117573 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Tennis
« Reply #675 on: September 08, 2021, 08:33:00 PM »
Berrettini is fun. He’s a really energetic bomber.  But Joker has handled players like him pretty completely in his career. So we’ll see

That's exactly right and why he has a puncher's chance.  He's got significant pop and is playing on a fast court.  I'm just not sure he can do it 3 out of 5. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #676 on: September 08, 2021, 08:53:19 PM »
MB is unloading on his forehand.   He needs this first set.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #677 on: September 08, 2021, 09:22:30 PM »
This just got real interesting.  Berrettini takes the first set.  The Djoker could be in serious trouble.  He looks tight to me.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #678 on: September 08, 2021, 10:18:14 PM »
Damn....Berrettini really fell off his 1st set level.  And Djoker decided to step it up.  He cam kind of go through stretches where he doesn't miss and controls every point.  MB looks deflated.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #679 on: September 08, 2021, 10:24:13 PM »
Berrettini does 2 things well -- serve and hit the forehand.

Novak is the best service-return player in history, and Novak also is great at controlling a point and he's pounding Berrettini's mediocre BH.

Novak puts so much pressure on the server, who has to think: "I'd better be damn close to perfect with my serves, because this SOB is like a human backboard."

Hard to imagine Novak losing to a player he is far superior to unless he's really, really off. Novak was pretty off in the first set and still only lost 7-5.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #680 on: September 08, 2021, 10:49:59 PM »
Berrettini does 2 things well -- serve and hit the forehand.

Novak is the best service-return player in history, and Novak also is great at controlling a point and he's pounding Berrettini's mediocre BH.

Novak puts so much pressure on the server, who has to think: "I'd better be damn close to perfect with my serves, because this SOB is like a human backboard."

Hard to imagine Novak losing to a player he is far superior to unless he's really, really off. Novak was pretty off in the first set and still only lost 7-5.

Yes.  But Berrettini was controlling far more points in the first set by thwacking forehands with no regard for human life.  If you have that kind of pop you have to go for it against Novak because you have no chance in extended rallies.  You must play power tennis on a fast court like this which means unloading on those two shots you referenced and finishing points off. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #681 on: September 08, 2021, 11:13:03 PM »
I hate to say it as a huge Nadal fan but if Djoker closes the door there's really no argument that he's not the GOAT.  The guy has no weaknesses and is as mentally tough as Rafa.  His return of serve is beyond ridiculous.  I also disagree with the notion that you can't and it's silly to compare eras.  The guy is playing in the same era as two other top 5 players and may very well get the calendar GS and 21 and counting.  I mean you think of the guys that played similarly to Novak, like an Agassi for example, and he's so much better it's seriously a joke. He would eviscerate Aggasi.  There isn't a sogle thing Andre did better than Novak.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #682 on: September 08, 2021, 11:19:38 PM »
Agree.

Think about Novak getting DQ’d from last year’s USOpen in that fluke. That’s major #22. And he missed all that time a few years ago to injury in what should have been his prime. The guy could have 25-26 already.

As if the 21 he’ll have in a few days isn’t incredible enough.

As you know I’m a big Rafa guy too … but really can’t deny Novak’s place in history.

Sorry, Tony Trabert!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #683 on: September 08, 2021, 11:29:27 PM »
This just got real interesting.  Berrettini takes the first set.  The Djoker could be in serious trouble.  He looks tight to me.

If you hammered the ML every time someone thought or said this about Novak after he dropped a first set, you’d be rich.  Among many other insane attributes, his ability to go from “man he looks terrible/hurt/sick” to dominant and utterly controlling of the match…is ridiculous

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #684 on: September 08, 2021, 11:32:56 PM »
Agree.

Think about Novak getting DQ’d from last year’s USOpen in that fluke. That’s major #22. And he missed all that time a few years ago to injury in what should have been his prime. The guy could have 25-26 already.

As if the 21 he’ll have in a few days isn’t incredible enough.

As you know I’m a big Rafa guy too … but really can’t deny Novak’s place in history.

Sorry, Tony Trabert!

I am thinking about Sampras playing Novak on this court.  He also was primarily serve and a power forehand but he could  put points away at the net.   I think that's the only way to beat him when he's playing his A game but no one can really volley anymore. 

Now Sampras did have the best serve in history but we've never seen anyone close to the returner Djoker is.  Amazing flexibility and reflexes.  Personally I think Djoker, Rafa, and Fed are at a completely different level than past players and it's not just technology and training differences.   
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 11:36:05 PM by MuggsyB »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #685 on: September 09, 2021, 07:36:29 PM »
Wow is Leylah Fernandez impressive.  Unbelievable poise and terrific hands.  She sort of reminds me of Agassi the way she times the ball.  Hopefully she pulls this off.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #686 on: September 09, 2021, 08:43:46 PM »
Unbelievable win from Leylah but you have to feel for Sabalenka.  Cheering between faults and after double faults?  That's uncalled for and totally ridiculous. 

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #687 on: September 09, 2021, 08:47:44 PM »
I can honestly say I have never been so captivated by a tennis player more than I am with Fernandez. She is a stone cold killer, wrapped in what we call personality in our house. Swagger. Attitude. Confidence. Joy. I’ll never forget when Shriver asked her when she believed she could beat Osaka, and she said, “when I walked on the court.”

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #688 on: September 09, 2021, 08:56:00 PM »
I can honestly say I have never been so captivated by a tennis player more than I am with Fernandez. She is a stone cold killer, wrapped in what we call personality in our house. Swagger. Attitude. Confidence. Joy. I’ll never forget when Shriver asked her when she believed she could beat Osaka, and she said, “when I walked on the court.”

Absolutely Junpstreet.  Tremendous swagger combined with incredible composure and focus.  As I said after she disposed of Kerber, we should be talking about how impressive Leylah is and not Osaka losing that match.  I think Sakkari will beat Radacanu but really hope we see both teenagers in the Final.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #689 on: September 09, 2021, 09:55:46 PM »
Wow.  Radacanu just won the first set 6-1.  These teens look far more composed than experienced players.  It's amazing.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #690 on: September 09, 2021, 10:51:59 PM »
This match was kinda like Joker’s last match. Surgical. Great defense. Full court coverage. Always in position.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #691 on: September 09, 2021, 11:10:50 PM »
Radacanu is no freaking joke.  She has a complete game.  Sneaky pace, especially down the line.  She also has a very solid serve and like Leylah a tremendous return game.  Both of these kids are unflappable and super likable, they're great for the game.  I don't know who to pick between the two of them.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #692 on: September 09, 2021, 11:20:17 PM »
I don’t care who wins. I hope it goes 3 Sets.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #693 on: September 09, 2021, 11:35:10 PM »
I don’t care who wins. I hope it goes 3 Sets.

I think the crowd won't favor one over the other which is unusual.  Truthfully I think clay will be the best surface for both of them unless they don't know how to slide.  Radacanu has a little more pop.  Their consistency and poise is what's most impressive. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #694 on: September 10, 2021, 04:28:40 PM »
Damn....I didn't see it but Medvy destroyed F-A-A?  Very surprised.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #695 on: September 10, 2021, 05:28:25 PM »
Damn....I didn't see it but Medvy destroyed F-A-A?  Very surprised.

Felix had a great chance to win the second set - up 5-3, and serving for the set at 5-4 - but he played really tight, got broken, and then appeared to lose his focus … and eventually his will. And Medvedev played real well too.

Great run by the kid but he would have had no chance against Novak. Not sure Medvedev has much of a shot either, but more than Felix would have based on experience alone.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #696 on: September 10, 2021, 05:47:27 PM »
Felix had a great chance to win the second set - up 5-3, and serving for the set at 5-4 - but he played really tight, got broken, and then appeared to lose his focus … and eventually his will. And Medvedev played real well too.

Great run by the kid but he would have had no chance against Novak. Not sure Medvedev has much of a shot either, but more than Felix would have based on experience alone.

Zverev probably has the best shot vs Djoker.  But he's going to have to serve big for 3 sets and hope Novak doesn't play his top level.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #697 on: September 10, 2021, 07:11:41 PM »
Zverev is looking really good early.  Dominating on his service games and winning the longer rallies.  He's controlling the points with his power.  Djoker is definitely in some trouble.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #698 on: September 10, 2021, 07:14:11 PM »
Zverev is looking really good early.  Dominating on his service games and winning the longer rallies.  He's controlling the points with his power.  Djoker is definitely in some trouble.

He lost a set.  He’s not in trouble until he loses 2.  Same as the other night

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #699 on: September 10, 2021, 07:27:07 PM »
He lost a set.  He’s not in trouble until he loses 2.  Same as the other night

Zverev kicking away a sevice game certainly helps him. 

feedback