'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: JOEY TO MU!  (Read 68525 times)

Freeport Warrior

• All American
Re: JOEY TO MU!
« Reply #175 on: July 24, 2017, 11:37:25 AM »
I think we can still get Herro still Cheesy!  Love 49 but 25 would be much better.  We can't have him going to UW with that class they are bringing in this year.
You know Herro has his eyes set on much bigger fish than MU or WI. And with regards to the "mistakes" we made with Herro, we were on him early -- but Gard made him his first phone call. Get over it. WI without Hurt or Joey sure changes things on all those nattys.

And for the others who are laughing about the Hayward comparison, it is not as laughable as one would think. He isn't 6' 2" -- He looks to be all of 6' 5" or 6' 6". The kid works on his game 24/7 and is a total gym rat. I'm not saying he will be an NBA all-star, but I think he does have a good shot at making it to the next level. If he matures and gets away from papa, who knows? I could see him at Kentucky, NC or Duke after a year at prep. Will be interesting to see how the next 6 weeks go.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #176 on: July 24, 2017, 11:44:31 AM »
Huge get boys. It didn't look good at one point. Still kind of bitter sweet though since UW has Herro. He took apart the NY2LA Summer Jam field this weekend and continues his push towards greatest Wisconsin high school player ever.
Sadly, some kids peak in high school.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #177 on: July 24, 2017, 11:45:51 AM »
ESPN is historically the most inaccurate of the recruiting services. And that is one of the only ones (maybe the only one) that has Herro above Hauser. 247composite which combines a lot of the main recruiting services has Hauser at #35 and Herro at #40. And given all the comments that Freeport and other insiders have made about their attitudes....the difference is even greater in Joey's favor.

Don't get me wrong, Herro is a great player and will do well at Bucky (or somewhere else). Would love it if he had committed to MU. I think you just hurt yourself with the hyperbole you've used to describe Herro.

Jalen Johnson should definitely be a priority for the 2020 class. But he strikes as more of a top 75 kid. Solid player, want him, but I don't think he will be as make or break as you seem to be implying.

He's currently ranked top 15 in the country for his class.  Jalen Suggs is another name we've been mentioned with and is top 5 in the country.  Long shots for either, I would assume.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #178 on: July 24, 2017, 11:55:51 AM »
He's currently ranked top 15 in the country for his class.  Jalen Suggs is another name we've been mentioned with and is top 5 in the country.  Long shots for either, I would assume.

Top 15 according to who? Last ranking I saw had him in the 60s.  (Been a while since I looked)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #179 on: July 24, 2017, 12:14:16 PM »

Jamil Wilson was top 10 at one point, Tokoto top 5, Korie Lucious was #1 as a freshman in HS.  Early rankings don't always hold up.  Let's see where they are ranked in 2 years.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #180 on: July 24, 2017, 12:18:40 PM »
Saw this headline in my local paper today: http://journaltimes.com/sports/college/badgers-men-s-basketball-top-target-joey-hauser-chooses-marquette/article_c0b8fe27-d3ec-5bba-a558-02f7b781794e.html

"Badgers men's basketball: Top 2018 target Joey Hauser chooses Marquette over UW"

The article only mentioned Gard, not Wojo, and basically completely ignored the fact that Marquette is also an in-state school.  I know we play second fiddle in the Wisconsin news media, but this is crap.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #181 on: July 24, 2017, 12:19:52 PM »
This is what we have been waiting for from Badger fans...

Badgertown
Badgertown 


(777)
42 months 

PM User

Follow User
     

119 minutes ago

Is it safe for me to re-state my clear opinion that Joey Hauser is over-rated yet? I was down-voted into oblivion 6 months ago when I tried to speak some sense into this board about his future as a player.

The kid is definitely a high-major talent and I would be happy if the Badgers landed him but his prospects as a player are very limited IMO. Too slow and not athletic enough to play the wing. Not physical enough, tall enough or athletic enough to dominate on the interior.

He will certainly have a nice career because he can shoot the rock but any thoughts of him being as dominant as his ranking may suggest are way off the mark. I expect him to have a very similar career to his brother... The multitude of tools just aren't there.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #182 on: July 24, 2017, 12:24:45 PM »
Saw this headline in my local paper today: http://journaltimes.com/sports/college/badgers-men-s-basketball-top-target-joey-hauser-chooses-marquette/article_c0b8fe27-d3ec-5bba-a558-02f7b781794e.html

"Badgers men's basketball: Top 2018 target Joey Hauser chooses Marquette over UW"

The article only mentioned Gard, not Wojo, and basically completely ignored the fact that Marquette is also an in-state school.  I know we play second fiddle in the Wisconsin news media, but this is crap.

How will I sleep tonight knowing the Racine newspaper failed to give Wojo and Marquette props?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #183 on: July 24, 2017, 12:25:23 PM »
This is what we have been waiting for from Badger fans...

No "we" haven't. 

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #184 on: July 24, 2017, 12:28:49 PM »

Jim Polzin writes for the Wisconsin State Journal in Madison and the Journal-Times received his article.  That's what's happening in the newspaper industry.  Same article appeard in the Wisconsin State Journal this morning.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

MU82

• All American
« Reply #185 on: July 24, 2017, 12:30:46 PM »
I'm very late to the party, so let me chime in with ...

YES!

I already had been very happy about the direction of the program under Wojo, and this just adds to that. It would be cool to know what he says to these recruits and their parents, because he must be quite a salesman.

A secondary pleasure has been reading about the tears in Buckyland - and of course also beating out ND, a school I still hate with every fiber of my being.

A tertiary pleasure: Seeing muguru and willie actually happy about something!

Finally, I of course take credit for Joey choosing MU. As was the case with Henry, Markus, etc, I didn't change my screen name.

Y'all are welcome!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #186 on: July 24, 2017, 12:32:42 PM »
Mad props to Wojo: he has some SERIOUS powerpoint skills.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #187 on: July 24, 2017, 12:35:04 PM »
Oh, c'mon, Sultan, allow scoop to bask in the glory of the win a little.  Personally I liked these:

"Wojo needed this one.   He may start to win a bit now and then it's only a matter of time before he leaves Marquette.  They are putting together a pretty nice roster at Marquette with this addition.   There is no doubt Marquette has benefited from the unusual circumstance of two older brothers being good enough to get offered by Marquette and not Wisconsin, followed closely by two more talented younger brothers who were both interested in playing with their older brothers.  Maybe the younger Ellenson and Hauser still pick Marquette without their brothers there, the odds would be much longer though."

and:

"What a special opportunity--to suit up and play with his brother, again. It's tough to blame the kid. College is temporary, but he will have a lifetime with his brother talking about how they almost made it to the NCAA tournament and how close they team became during the coaching change. Special times."

I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #188 on: July 24, 2017, 12:37:18 PM »
Jim Polzin writes for the Wisconsin State Journal in Madison and the Journal-Times received his article.  That's what's happening in the newspaper industry.  Same article appeard in the Wisconsin State Journal this morning.

Exactly.  A Badger writer writing from a Badger perspective.  A very homerish media in Madison to boot.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #189 on: July 24, 2017, 12:39:14 PM »
Jamil Wilson was top 10 at one point, Tokoto top 5, Korie Lucious was #1 as a freshman in HS.  Early rankings don't always hold up.  Let's see where they are ranked in 2 years.

Agreed.  BUT those guys all did wind up going to high major out of state programs anyways.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #190 on: July 24, 2017, 12:40:35 PM »
You know Herro has his eyes set on much bigger fish than MU or WI. And with regards to the "mistakes" we made with Herro, we were on him early -- but Gard made him his first phone call. Get over it. WI without Hurt or Joey sure changes things on all those nattys.

And for the others who are laughing about the Hayward comparison, it is not as laughable as one would think. He isn't 6' 2" -- He looks to be all of 6' 5" or 6' 6". The kid works on his game 24/7 and is a total gym rat. I'm not saying he will be an NBA all-star, but I think he does have a good shot at making it to the next level. If he matures and gets away from papa, who knows? I could see him at Kentucky, NC or Duke after a year at prep. Will be interesting to see how the next 6 weeks go.

And apparently the biggest fish in the world has its eyes on him (the Golden State Warriors).

That reminds me.  Does anyone remember when some Scooper revealed that the Sacramento Kings had a high interest in Trent Lockett?  And then we all laughed.  And then the Kings signed Lockett to their d-league affiliate (and he may have even played in some Kings preseason games, IIRC).  Was that Scooper someone from Lockett's camp or someone with NBA connections?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #191 on: July 24, 2017, 12:42:17 PM »
Mad props to Wojo: he has some SERIOUS powerpoint skills.

Kudos on the meme drop.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #192 on: July 24, 2017, 12:42:38 PM »
ND sucks.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #193 on: July 24, 2017, 12:47:56 PM »
Top 15 according to who? Last ranking I saw had him in the 60s.  (Been a while since I looked)

The only site that I see having ranked him individually (didn't take the time to take a look and see if sites like Scout and 247 just haven't ranked the class of 2020 at all or simply have him "unranked" in a top 25 or something rankings?) is ESPN and they have him at #12.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/230218/jalen-johnson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #194 on: July 24, 2017, 12:49:48 PM »
Exactly.  A Badger writer writing from a Badger perspective.  A very homerish media in Madison to boot.

Has someone checked in on how Tom Oates is doing?

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #195 on: July 24, 2017, 12:57:04 PM »
Huge get boys. It didn't look good at one point. Still kind of bitter sweet though since UW has Herro. He took apart the NY2LA Summer Jam field this weekend and continues his push towards greatest Wisconsin high school player ever.

You literally said Joey soft verballed to UW.  What in the world is your deal?

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #196 on: July 24, 2017, 01:09:27 PM »
What a beautiful day.  Ok now that the news is out let me clear the air.

1) Not recruiting Sam was one of the worst decisions made by UWBB in a long time.
2) Joey is a big football fan and wanting to go to a school that had a team was something on his wish list. In the end it was the only thing that he had to work around in coming to MU.
3) That is why ND popped up in the end.  To be honest, if I had to bet that if it was not MU it was going to be ND.
4) I have no idea why Evan flood had  the thought he had.  It was just the opposite of what I saw and that is that if it was  UW, MSU and MU it would be MU
5) MSU no because of distance (Driving) and overload of players.
6) UW no because of not great feelings about staff/administration.  JH liked most of the players, but it was not the "Families" first choice, but Joey was encourage to make his own choice.
7) Everyone knows that Sam was a big part, but don't underestimate how much Markus was too.   The 3 are really close.
8) Yes QG is still a target and they are now have another strong point to share with him on why MU would be a great choice.
9) Said it before, will say it again.  Theo is a bad man on the court. That was a sentiment shared by JFB, so it is not just my impression.
10) Have heard a lot in the last 24 hours about Herro.  He was convinced JH was coming to UW with him and now frustration there is no plan b or c.  The all in strategy with JH was a poor one, especially in light of the significant obstacles that were in the way for a successful recruitment.

I have to get this in too.  Wojo has developed a very good sense of where they stand with recruits.  He knew Joey was close so Wojo put the full court press on "pun intended" to close the deal.  So when it comes to QG he is not wasting his time, unless he feels that there is still an opening.  Landing Joey was big on itself, but it was step one of a 1-2 punch.  QG was told the plan and now delivering on the plan can only help.  I still don't think we are in a strong position, but we are in a better one and I think we should at least get a visit now.

That is the next hurdle for Wojo is getting a 5 start that does not have any "special" connection to MU. 

Stan seems really excited about  one "big time" recruit for 2019.  No name, just that he is really excited about it. 

Finally if anyone knows who stated that Joey had given a "soft" commit to UW please call them on it.  That was total BS.

Over and Out....

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #197 on: July 24, 2017, 01:14:20 PM »
I'm not understanding how I am a troll if all I am suggesting is we look into getting Herro to commit with Joey.  It wouldn't be that hard to get him to switch either as he is tight with Herro.  We need to do something to elevate our program to where UW has gotten the last 4-5 years.  Talking down their commits and recruits which is commonly done on this board is not going to get us there.

You created you account TODAY to post just on this topic. And while this thread is about Joey''s commitment, you won't stop posting about how Herro (is it pronounced "her-ro" or "he-ro"?  As someone that doesn't live in Wisconsin, I have never heard of this kid) and Joey need to play together.  Wojo seem's to think he got the best of the pair. 

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #198 on: July 24, 2017, 01:28:57 PM »
Boy, go off the grid for a day and look what happens.

Welcome to MU, Joey!
Been saving my favorite gif for you.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #199 on: July 24, 2017, 01:31:28 PM »
Thanks BD.

feedback