'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU SoS at 24, Best among High D1 Schools  (Read 3709 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
MU SoS at 24, Best among High D1 Schools
« on: November 22, 2017, 09:41:31 PM »
Our SoS was 24 before today's game, probably will go up after beating LSU.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi/_/dir/asc/view/overview/sort/sospastrank

MU has the best SoS among high D1 schools.  The 23 ahead of us are "buy schools."

Next best SoS from a Power Conference is Washington at 61.  Creighton at 67 is the next best BE school.

Questions ....

Have we ever been this high at any point in a non-conf SoS?  We still have Bucky and Georgia and Vermont (who is relatively good), could we end up with the best non-conf SoS in school history?

When we get to March. and have played 18 BE games, combined with this non-conf, how high could our SoS be?  Top 10? 

What is the best ever MU SoS?  Could this year be the best?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: MU SoS at 24, Best among High D1 Schools
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 07:04:49 AM »
MU's SoS dropped to 32 after the LSU was figured in.  I guess there was a bunch of "buy school" games yesterday.

MU still has the highest SoS of any Power 5 + BE school.  Texas A&M is next at 41. LSU is third at 50. Creighton is the next highest BE school at 67.

Absolutely no complaints about the non-conf schedule this year.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 08:10:02 AM »
At the end of the BE Conference season, MU will have a Top 20 SOS per RPI Wizard.  Will certainly help come selection Sunday.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 08:17:18 AM »
Agreed - if we don't make it to the dance, it won't be because we didn't play a good enough nonconference schedule.  Beating VCU helped.

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 08:22:55 AM »
MU's SoS dropped to 32 after the LSU was figured in.  I guess there was a bunch of "buy school" games yesterday.

MU still has the highest SoS of any Power 5 + BE school.  Texas A&M is next at 41. LSU is third at 50. Creighton is the next highest BE school at 67.

Absolutely no complaints about the non-conf schedule this year.

For basketball purposes there is no P5 + BE as the Beast is a top 5 conference

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 08:53:23 AM »

For basketball purposes there is no P5 + BE as the Beast is a top 5 conference

The P5 or Power Five are football conferences.  (B1G, B12, ACC, SEC, PAC12)

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 10:33:24 AM »
Our SoS was 24 before today's game, probably will go up after beating LSU.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi/_/dir/asc/view/overview/sort/sospastrank

MU has the best SoS among high D1 schools.  The 23 ahead of us are "buy schools."

Next best SoS from a Power Conference is Washington at 61.  Creighton at 67 is the next best BE school.

Questions ....

Have we ever been this high at any point in a non-conf SoS?  We still have Bucky and Georgia and Vermont (who is relatively good), could we end up with the best non-conf SoS in school history?

When we get to March. and have played 18 BE games, combined with this non-conf, how high could our SoS be?  Top 10? 

What is the best ever MU SoS?  Could this year be the best?

Careful guys. We're talking about different things in this schedule "SOS" per espn's bpi page that heisy linked is completely different than "SOS" per RPI. Not even remotely the same. ESPN's considers a multitude of factors (some that probably don't make sense, but whatever) and they don't disclose weighting, etc... it's a mystery hodge podge of crap, but seeks to really give a feel for what a common person would consider "strength of schedule"

RPI's SOS - which matters much more for tourney purposes - is completely different. It looks at your opponent's win-loss percentage, excl games against you.  That's it. Nothing else to it - doesn't even matter where you play. Playing on the road instead of at home doesn't factor into RPI SOS.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 10:54:38 AM »
Careful guys. We're talking about different things in this schedule "SOS" per espn's bpi page that heisy linked is completely different than "SOS" per RPI. Not even remotely the same. ESPN's considers a multitude of factors (some that probably don't make sense, but whatever) and they don't disclose weighting, etc... it's a mystery hodge podge of crap, but seeks to really give a feel for what a common person would consider "strength of schedule"

RPI's SOS - which matters much more for tourney purposes - is completely different. It looks at your opponent's win-loss percentage, excl games against you.  That's it. Nothing else to it - doesn't even matter where you play. Playing on the road instead of at home doesn't factor into RPI SOS.

Good info JB ... all things called RPI are not the same.

What is s good source for the selection committees RPI?

Either way the larger point that we cannot complain about this years schedule still applies.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 11:00:43 AM »

Either way the larger point that we cannot complain about this years schedule still applies.

NCAA.com has the actual team sheets provided to the committee. RPIforecast.com's live-rpi, when I've tested it, has been accurate.

On a related note,... what you linked was ESPN's BPI - they also attempt to show RPI, but they consistently get it wrong. There is only one RPI... but a number of people who try to calculate it. For whatever reason, ESPN has historically been awful and unable to get it correct.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 12:28:16 PM »
At the end of the BE Conference season, MU will have a Top 20 SOS per RPI Wizard.  Will certainly help come selection Sunday.

For the moment. That will likely fluctuate as the season goes on. I think we have a good shot to be anywhere in the 10-40 range. RPI Wizard becomes more accurate as the season goes on, but for the moment is a good but far from great tool.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 02:21:14 PM »

A discerning poster would consider the difference between cannot and should not - particularly when referencing MUScoop behavior.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 07:31:18 PM »
Regardless of the source of the numbers, it does appear our non-con SoS will be a benefit rather than a drag this season.

It will look even better to the committee when we go 10-2, baby!

The Dec. 2-9 stretch could go a very long way toward determining if we end up dancin'. We can do it!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 07:38:25 PM »
Regardless of the source of the numbers, it does appear our non-con SoS will be a benefit rather than a drag this season.

The Dec. 2-9 stretch could go a very long way toward determining if we end up dancin'. We can do it!!

Go 3-0 in that stretch and a 9-9 Big East record will get us in.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 08:05:13 PM »
Purdue lost to Western Kentucky today.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 08:08:27 PM »

Honestly see no reason they can't win out the rest of Non conference now. In fact, they should.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 08:10:42 PM »
Honestly see no reason they can't win out the rest of Non conference now. In fact, they should.

You mean to tell me a team that got smoked by a team that lost two in a row now is going to win out until January? No chance.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2017, 12:02:55 AM »
I'm seeing 2-1 in our remaining non cupcake noncon games. Want to pick us over bucky but i hate playing at the Kihl Hole. However, I do think 3-0 is more likely than 1-2
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2017, 07:36:05 AM »
I'm seeing 2-1 in our remaining non cupcake noncon games. Want to pick us over bucky but i hate playing at the Kihl Hole. However, I do think 3-0 is more likely than 1-2

More often than not, we win in Madison