collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Northwestern vs. Chicago State  (Read 4252 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Northwestern vs. Chicago State
« on: December 11, 2017, 06:52:57 PM »
53-8 with a minute to go in the half.  That’s just hard to fathom.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
Re: Northwestern vs. Chicago State
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 07:00:17 PM »
What takes precedent in this situation: the theory of transitive basketball performance, or secret scrimmage results?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 07:07:16 PM »
Who's winning?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 07:20:22 PM »
I thought for sure this thread was going to be about their respective acceptance rates. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 07:36:52 PM »
I thought for sure this thread was going to be about their respective acceptance rates.

Isn't that what 53 to 8 is?

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 07:51:26 PM »

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 08:09:01 PM »
Marquette sucks because we didn't beat them by that much

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 08:11:26 PM »
Isn't that what 53 to 8 is?

The number of fans from each side who made it out to Allstate...

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 08:24:48 PM »
The number of fans from each side who made it out to Allstate...

No kidding.

Also check out the DePaul/Alabama A&M crowd on FS1 right now.  And people on Scoop bitch about our attendance at cupcake games...
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 08:29:54 PM »
No kidding.

Also check out the DePaul/Alabama A&M crowd on FS1 right now.  And people on Scoop bitch about our attendance at cupcake games...

They'll probably list it as 9,000...

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 09:01:02 PM »
No kidding.

That surprises me.  You'd think more people would turn out given that Alabama A&M probably doesn't get many cupcakes.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 11:07:10 PM »
They'll probably list it as 9,000...
Listed as 4508
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 08:20:32 AM »
Chi State's 2 wins this season were against Silver Lake College and East-West University.

It's hard to fathom how Chicago State is still up and running and accredited. The school's endowment is just over $5M. In 2016, the graduation rate was 11%. Total. For the entire university.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 08:49:33 AM »
Chi State's 2 wins this season were against Silver Lake College and East-West University.

It's hard to fathom how Chicago State is still up and running and accredited. The school's endowment is just over $5M. In 2016, the graduation rate was 11%. Total. For the entire university.

Not to mention (as Chick did in a previous thread) they enrolled only 86 freshman in 2016 and 149 this year.  At some point someone has to realize that this isn't a good use of scarce resources.  But, it is Illinois/Chicago, so...
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 09:20:26 AM »
Not to mention (as Chick did in a previous thread) they enrolled only 86 freshman in 2016 and 149 this year.  At some point someone has to realize that this isn't a good use of scarce resources.  But, it is Illinois/Chicago, so...

Do a lot of people take individual courses there? That’d be my only thought as to how it could still be open
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 09:46:32 AM »

Any school where  Kanye West's mom was head of the English Department must be of Ivy League quality.

--Kanye West
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 09:56:12 AM »
Any school where  Kanye West's mom was head of the English Department must be of Ivy League quality.

--Kanye West

I never knew that, but it reading about her, she was pretty impressive.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 09:59:14 AM »
Do a lot of people take individual courses there? That’d be my only thought as to how it could still be open

They actually take in a lot of transfers from Jucos. 

That being said, it is politically very hard to close a public university.  You make a lot of enemies, but gain few friends in the process.  Wisconsin could shut down at least two of its public universities with little disruption, and save a bunch of money in the process.  But who is going to champion the closing of Superior and Parkside?  It just doesn't happen anywhere.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 10:17:44 AM »

They actually take in a lot of transfers from Jucos. 

That being said, it is politically very hard to close a public university.  You make a lot of enemies, but gain few friends in the process.  Wisconsin could shut down at least two of its public universities with little disruption, and save a bunch of money in the process.  But who is going to champion the closing of Superior and Parkside?  It just doesn't happen anywhere.

I think it could be argued that it should be folded into another public university like Northeastern Illinois.

When I was in high school there were two public universities in Nashville, Tennessee State and Nashville State.  They wound up combining them (because one was the "black" school and one was the "white" school).  Nashville State still exists, but it it is more like MATC and is not allowed to offer course that compete with TSU.

Back when Marquette was a lot more lenient about transfer credits, I picked up a couple of easy "A"s at TSU over the summer.  I also took a pretty tough Stats class there.  It was awkward witnessing other students call the white professor a racist after they flunked a test (notwithstanding the fact that a bunch of white kids flunked it as well).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 10:22:05 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 10:43:57 AM »
I think it could be argued that it should be folded into another public university like Northeastern Illinois.

When I was in high school there were two public universities in Nashville, Tennessee State and Nashville State.  They wound up combining them (because one was the "black" school and one was the "white" school).  Nashville State still exists, but it it is more like MATC and is not allowed to offer course that compete with TSU.

Back when Marquette was a lot more lenient about transfer credits, I picked up a couple of easy "A"s at TSU over the summer.  I also took a pretty tough Stats class there.  It was awkward witnessing other students call the white professor a racist after they flunked a test (notwithstanding the fact that a bunch of white kids flunked it as well).
The old take the hard class at the easy summer school strategy . A tried and true method for keeping the GPA up at the regular school.  Saves money too. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 11:06:40 AM »
The old take the hard class at the easy summer school strategy . A tried and true method for keeping the GPA up at the regular school.  Saves money too.

Yep.  Marquette has caught onto that.  It's much tougher to get transfer credit for classes taken elsewhere.  Also, I don't think they include classes taken elsewhere in your GPA.
Have some patience, FFS.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 01:04:19 PM »

Nashville State is on White Bridge Road and has always been a tech school and two year college.

The merger to which you refer was between TSU and the University of Tennessee at Nashville (UT-N). For most of its life, UT-N was barely an extension school on about 8th and Broadway (a block west of Hume-Fogg High School for you Nashville geeks) . In the early 1970s, the regents built a new "campus" located at 9th and Charlotte Avenue. Almost from the gitgo, UT-N was seen as a Jim Crow school because it was a white school on the edge of an African-American neighborhood.

Several years of litigation later, a consent order led to the merger between the two schools.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 01:35:13 PM »
Nashville State is on White Bridge Road and has always been a tech school and two year college.

The merger to which you refer was between TSU and the University of Tennessee at Nashville (UT-N). For most of its life, UT-N was barely an extension school on about 8th and Broadway (a block west of Hume-Fogg High School for you Nashville geeks) . In the early 1970s, the regents built a new "campus" located at 9th and Charlotte Avenue. Almost from the gitgo, UT-N was seen as a Jim Crow school because it was a white school on the edge of an African-American neighborhood.

Several years of litigation later, a consent order led to the merger between the two schools.

You are right. I had a brain fart.  Nashville State still isn't allowed to offer classes that TSU does, though.
Have some patience, FFS.