[May 16, 2024, 04:26:22 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Coming to MU ... The Marcus Lemonis School of Buisness???  (Read 9115 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Coming to MU ... The Marcus Lemonis School of Buisness???
« on: December 06, 2014, 05:18:42 PM »
Marcus Lemonis was sitting with his wife next to Lovell at the Wisconsin game.  Rumor is he is going to write a big check for the new business school.  (rumor is the number they are looking for is $20 million or so)

(History:  A decade ago Lemoins gave MU $250k to build the AL)

Who is Marcus Lemonis?
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=39528.0

He just bought the popular NYC bakery Crumbs
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=44408.0

Will this be a test for Lovell's effectiveness as MU President?
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=41496.msg566478#msg566478
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 05:47:47 PM by Heisenberg »

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Coming to MU ... The Marcus Lemonis School of Buisness???
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 08:14:34 PM »
You tight with Marcus? Ax 'em if he could use a new dentist.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 08:31:29 PM »
Marcus Lemonis was sitting with his wife next to Lovell at the Wisconsin game.  Rumor is he is going to write a big check for the new business school.  (rumor is the number they are looking for is $20 million or so)

(History:  A decade ago Lemoins gave MU $250k to build the AL)

Who is Marcus Lemonis?
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=39528.0

He just bought the popular NYC bakery Crumbs
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=44408.0

Will this be a test for Lovell's effectiveness as MU President?
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=41496.msg566478#msg566478

That's great, but I honestly hope that the $20M wouldn't come with the whole school being named after him.  That honor should only come with $50M+

chapman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 08:44:36 PM »
The new B-school is certainly needed. 

The irony would be that Mr. Lemonis wasn't even a CoB student.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 08:04:16 AM »
The new B-school is certainly needed. 

The irony would be that Mr. Lemonis wasn't even a CoB student.

Irony in he wasn't a CoB grad.  Not ironic as he made his fame and fortune as a prolific businessman.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 09:23:07 AM »
$20 mil is enough to get a college named after you, in my opinion. Maybe not at Harvard, but at Marquette. Take the money and give him the name. Especially for a guy, looking at his Wikipedia pages, has had a very positive influence through charity and philanthropy. Donald Trump would have to give more than $20 mil, but this guy seems to have a stellar reputation, so MU should have no problem associating with him.

Next up, replacing the crapty Wehr buildings.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:25:10 AM by Bleuteaux »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 10:03:39 AM »
$20 mil is enough to get a college named after you, in my opinion. Maybe not at Harvard, but at Marquette. Take the money and give him the name. Especially for a guy, looking at his Wikipedia pages, has had a very positive influence through charity and philanthropy. Donald Trump would have to give more than $20 mil, but this guy seems to have a stellar reputation, so MU should have no problem associating with him.

Next up, replacing the crapty Wehr buildings.

Famous last words.

I'm not discrediting what anyone is saying about Mr. Lemonis, but $20MM, $50MM or $100MM, you've got to vet this guy thoroughly before you even have the discussion about naming rights, and even after you broach the topic, I'd be asking him to open up the entire curtain.

It's a shame the world has come to this, but there are simply too many scumbags out there today who hide behind a cloak of philanthropy, and MU can't afford to make any PR mistakes.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 10:43:49 AM »
I believe $20mm is less than what was donated for the naming rights either to the Colleges of A&S and Communications.

Could someone who isn't at work look that up?
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 11:09:07 AM »
I believe $20mm is less than what was donated for the naming rights either to the Colleges of A&S and Communications.

Diederichs donated $28 mil to the College of Communications

Klingler donated $33 mil over the course of her life, the college was named after her posthumously. The gift that put her over the top and got a College named after her was an $18 mil gift from her estate when she died.

But keep in mind Lemonis is relatively young, and over the course of his life could continue to donate much more.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 02:16:38 PM by Bleuteaux »

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 01:19:28 PM »
Famous last words.

I'm not discrediting what anyone is saying about Mr. Lemonis, but $20MM, $50MM or $100MM, you've got to vet this guy thoroughly before you even have the discussion about naming rights, and even after you broach the topic, I'd be asking him to open up the entire curtain.

It's a shame the world has come to this, but there are simply too many scumbags out there today who hide behind a cloak of philanthropy, and MU can't afford to make any PR mistakes.
This is an excellent point and If I was a trustee I would insist on a detailed background investigation. Too many mistakes are made in these school naming rights. Given his background in brand building etc, I think he would understand.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 01:39:03 PM »
This is an excellent point and If I was a trustee I would insist on a detailed background investigation. Too many mistakes are made in these school naming rights. Given his background in brand building etc, I think he would understand.

Background checks only work for things that have already happened.  What if someone donates the money and then engages in unsavory activity afterwards?

This is waaay oversimplified, but wouldn't the best thing to is to get the donor to agree that if any actions prior or subsequent to the donation come to light that would reflect badly on the university, Marquette yanks his name off of the building, but gets to keep the money?
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 01:41:52 PM »
As long as it's not Marquette Grad, Matthew Lasko a.k.a. the Riddler suit guy and had all those info commercials pumping "how to get government grants" isn't donating the building.................  

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 05:17:10 PM »
As long as it's not Marquette Grad, Matthew Lasko a.k.a. the Riddler suit guy and had all those info commercials pumping "how to get government grants" isn't donating the building.................  

I actually think he is a supporter of the school.  Enough to get a building named after him ...  No.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 05:28:17 PM »
Diederichs donated $28 mil to the College of Communications

Klingler donated $33 mil over the course of her life, the college was named after her posthumously. The gift that put her over the top and got a College named after her was an $18 mil gift from her estate when she died.

But keep in mind Lemonis is relatively young, and over the course of his life could continue to donate much more.

Yes.   There is what he gives now (rumored $20 million) and what he gives over the rest of his life (a lot more) are two different things.

He is an extremely successful businessman.  After your background check ... what about from Lemonis' point of view?  He's doing background checks on MU and might want some say in how his money is spent.  What the school emphasizes (entrepreneurship for instance).  How much leeway do you give a donor to shape a school? Does he have a hand in naming the permanent dean? The type of building? *** Does he get along with Jeff Joerres, Dan Fuss, Scott Roberts and some of the other money people behind the CoB?

Lots of questions.

*** I've been told that MU has a CoB set of plans that is right out of Google.  As in open architecture with no offices.  Like Google, students and Profs walk around with laptops/tablets going to "thinking pods" and conference rooms.  I've also been told that more traditional Profs do not like this.  But if this is the wave of how large business is going to conduct work, and Lemonis wants this, do you force it on the CoB?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 07:17:22 PM »

"I'm at work. I can be on MUScoop, but I'm not allowed to look up financial data about an academic institution." --warriorchick
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 07:32:37 PM »
Background checks only work for things that have already happened.  What if someone donates the money and then engages in unsavory activity afterwards?

This is waaay oversimplified, but wouldn't the best thing to is to get the donor to agree that if any actions prior or subsequent to the donation come to light that would reflect badly on the university, Marquette yanks his name off of the building, but gets to keep the money?
I think pre and post donation analysis is appropriate. I am sure there is some discussion group among College Presidents that addresses these issues . Just want to make sure we at least address the obvious stuff.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 07:35:15 PM »
Yes.   There is what he gives now (rumored $20 million) and what he gives over the rest of his life (a lot more) are two different things.

He is an extremely successful businessman.  After your background check ... what about from Lemonis' point of view?  He's doing background checks on MU and might want some say in how his money is spent.  What the school emphasizes (entrepreneurship for instance).  How much leeway do you give a donor to shape a school? Does he have a hand in naming the permanent dean? The type of building? *** Does he get along with Jeff Joerres, Dan Fuss, Scott Roberts and some of the other money people behind the CoB?

Lots of questions.

*** I've been told that MU has a CoB set of plans that is right out of Google.  As in open architecture with no offices.  Like Google, students and Profs walk around with laptops/tablets going to "thinking pods" and conference rooms.  I've also been told that more traditional Profs do not like this.  But if this is the wave of how large business is going to conduct work, and Lemonis wants this, do you force it on the CoB?
I am sure the donor will make his desires clear. However, I think there needs to be some boundaries as well. Schools are by definition academic institutions not pseudo businesses.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 07:45:57 PM »

It's Matthew Lesko. 
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 08:30:28 PM »
Crimenypete...got a hundo mil to give and can't pass pass the background check, I'm really a badger fan.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 09:01:44 PM »
I wonder if it's too late to ask Bill Cosby to give the honorary doctorate and  honorarium back.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 09:03:13 PM »
Gotta be careful who you sleep with, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 09:11:59 PM »
I wonder if it's too late to ask Bill Cosby to give the honorary doctorate and  honorarium back.

Another fine Pilarz decision...

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2014, 09:13:16 PM »
Gotta be careful who you sleep with, aina?

Yeah, don't rape anyone who might tell someone about it.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2014, 09:18:38 PM »
Yeah, don't rape anyone who might tell someone about it.

You mean like lena dunham and that jackie girl from UVa?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2014, 09:20:42 PM »
'Spose the honorarium went toward rohypnol research, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"