collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Playoffs  (Read 35461 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: MLB Playoffs
« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2015, 10:10:49 AM »
Coghlan both touched the bag and started his slide well before the bag, neither of which Utley did.  Both were aggressive take out slides to be sure, but Utley's execution was far more egregious.

Completely agree.  Just watched both plays again and where Utley started his slide was much worse. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2015, 10:54:14 AM »
Completely agree.  Just watched both plays again and where Utley started his slide was much worse. 

Coghlan both touched the bag and started his slide well before the bag, neither of which Utley did.  Both were aggressive take out slides to be sure, but Utley's execution was far more egregious.

Not to speak for Sultan, but he did say that there was no fundamental difference between the slides. I don't think he meant that the slides were the same or equally vicious or anything. Just that both slide consisted of a runner taking an indirect route to the base in order to take out the SS.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2015, 11:08:57 AM »
Not to speak for Sultan, but he did say that there was no fundamental difference between the slides. I don't think he meant that the slides were the same or equally vicious or anything. Just that both slide consisted of a runner taking an indirect route to the base in order to take out the SS.

Correct. Utley may have executed it horribly, and he may be stupid, but obviously no malice or intent to injure. Just not sure it rises to the level of suspension. If the umpires messed up, that's on them, not Utley. Seems almost like a little bit of "eye for an eye" coming out of MLB.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #128 on: October 12, 2015, 11:16:36 AM »
This seems like a classic "my guy" scenario.  Like 2 days after Coghlan broke Kangs leg, Cub supporters were on here complaining about a cardinal side (Molina maybe, don't exactly remember).  It really sucks that this keeps happening.  Losing Kang was a significant loss for the Bucs.  This is will hurt the Mets too.  It is hard for me to say Utleys slide was worthy of a 2 game playoff suspension where Coghlan's was business as usual.  Especially since this wasn't Coghlan's first foray into ending someone's season with a slide into second. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #129 on: October 12, 2015, 11:48:07 AM »

Yes.  Thank you. 

Furthermore had Utley's not injured Tejada, would there be any suspension?  Nope.  I doubt it would have even been talked about 24 hours later.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #130 on: October 12, 2015, 12:15:42 PM »
This seems like a classic "my guy" scenario.  Like 2 days after Coghlan broke Kangs leg, Cub supporters were on here complaining about a cardinal side (Molina maybe, don't exactly remember).  It really sucks that this keeps happening.  Losing Kang was a significant loss for the Bucs.  This is will hurt the Mets too.  It is hard for me to say Utleys slide was worthy of a 2 game playoff suspension where Coghlan's was business as usual.  Especially since this wasn't Coghlan's first foray into ending someone's season with a slide into second.

That may be true for some fans but when you objectively looked at the Coghlan slide vs. the Molina slide there was a distinct difference.  Same with the Utley slide. 

Unless the rule is changed it will keep happening. 

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #131 on: October 12, 2015, 12:27:24 PM »
It was also magnified by the review awarding Utley second AND the Dodgers scoring 4 runs with 2 outs to take the lead. If the Mets retire the side with no runs scoring and/or Utley is called out, that play likely does not become nearly as big of a deal and Utley doesn't get suspended.

Hypothetically, if Utley doesn't take him out, would he have had enough time to get runner at 1st? I never thought it was a certainty. (Not implying you did, just asking.)
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2015, 12:45:27 PM »

Hypothetically, if Utley doesn't take him out, would he have had enough time to get runner at 1st? I never thought it was a certainty. (Not implying you did, just asking.)

It's doubtful. That said, the umpire could have ruled Utley out at second AND the runner out at first since Utley didn't make a legit attempt to touch second base on his slide. That would have ended the inning. Even if they only called Utley out on the neighborhood play, that would have been the second out. Seager then flew out before the big hit. Obviously, we don't know if/how things would have changed if there were 2 outs when Seager came to bat, etc, etc, Abed, timelines, etc. but at the very least, there should have been 2 outs when he hit.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #133 on: October 12, 2015, 12:58:01 PM »
First off, Utley has a history of doing this, especially against people named Tejada (took out Miguel in 2010).  Secondly, the injury should have no bearing on the play, it was a dirty play straight up.  He came in late, high, and with no intention of tagging the base.  In fact he had to change his path of travel almost out of the base path just to get to where Tejada was. 

It doesn't mean Utley was trying to injure but it is a play that shouldn't be allowed if we are going to eliminate catchers in protective gear blocking the plate at home.

The biggest head scratcher in the whole thing for me is how the umpires can rule it's not a neighborhood play....the only reason Tejada was physically in the position he was in was so he could attempt a throw to first

Just bonkers stuff all the way around.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #134 on: October 12, 2015, 01:08:50 PM »
First off, Utley has a history of doing this, especially against people named Tejada (took out Miguel in 2010).  Secondly, the injury should have no bearing on the play, it was a dirty play straight up.  He came in late, high, and with no intention of tagging the base.  In fact he had to change his path of travel almost out of the base path just to get to where Tejada was. 

It doesn't mean Utley was trying to injure but it is a play that shouldn't be allowed if we are going to eliminate catchers in protective gear blocking the plate at home.

The biggest head scratcher in the whole thing for me is how the umpires can rule it's not a neighborhood play....the only reason Tejada was physically in the position he was in was so he could attempt a throw to first

Just bonkers stuff all the way around.

So Utley has a problem with people who have the last name "Tejada," and Coughlin has a problem with Asians?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #135 on: October 12, 2015, 01:57:59 PM »
Utley's slide was dirty as hell.

I'm thrilled that Torre -- an ex-Dodgers manager and a man of great integrity -- suspended him.

I'm not a fan of headhunting at all, but I gotta admit that I hope Utley gets plunked tonight. I don't want him to get killed or maimed or even seriously hurt, but I want something that leaves a mark!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2015, 02:05:50 PM »
Finally saw the play today. That slide was brutal. He started his slide half a foot before the bag.

I think the rule should be if you slide feet first, your lead foot has to be the first thing that touches the bag. So basically if you slide feet first but your hip or elbow touches the bag first you're out.

This won't completely take out a hard slide but it will be safer and middle infielders will know where they should protect themselves instead of having to guess.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #137 on: October 12, 2015, 02:06:56 PM »
Finally saw the play today. That slide was brutal. He started his slide half a foot before the bag.

I think the rule should be if you slide feet first, your lead foot has to be the first thing that touches the bag. So basically if you slide feet first but your hip or elbow touches the bag first you're out.

This won't completely take out a hard slide but it will be safer and middle infielders will know where they should protect themselves instead of having to guess.

Yes.  That is a great way to phrase it.  (Force plays only.)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #138 on: October 12, 2015, 02:37:44 PM »

Makes sense, especially when you consider that the runner is attempting to beat a force play so the first body part to the base should logically be the first thing to touch the base.

That said, it would likely need to be worded that the player must make a "natural slide" (or some better, similar wording) and a reasonable attempt to touch the base with his foot first. You don't want to open the door to...
1) players taking wide slides and basically rolling in sideways but touching the bag with their foot first
2) replay officials trying to figure out if a player's foot actually did graze the base prior to his knee or some other body part.

The concerns would be whether you're going to see players diving head-first into second to break up a double play. Hopefully not, but you never know.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #139 on: October 12, 2015, 02:57:29 PM »
Makes sense, especially when you consider that the runner is attempting to beat a force play so the first body part to the base should logically be the first thing to touch the base.

That said, it would likely need to be worded that the player must make a "natural slide" (or some better, similar wording) and a reasonable attempt to touch the base with his foot first. You don't want to open the door to...
1) players taking wide slides and basically rolling in sideways but touching the bag with their foot first
2) replay officials trying to figure out if a player's foot actually did graze the base prior to his knee or some other body part.

The concerns would be whether you're going to see players diving head-first into second to break up a double play. Hopefully not, but you never know.

When someone slides feet first into a base they almost never touch the base with their foot.  It's almost always their calf or something in that region.  You would see a lot more sprained ankles in baseball if your foot is required to touch 2nd base before any other part of your body when you slide.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #140 on: October 12, 2015, 04:11:33 PM »
The Coghlan slide will be his defense? He'd be much better using the Holliday slide against Scutaro.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #141 on: October 12, 2015, 08:49:11 PM »
That was a lot of home runs.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #142 on: October 12, 2015, 09:27:40 PM »
Yet again the Cubs bounce back in a HUGE way.  Untouchable Arrieta gives up 2 runs, Cubs respond with a barrage of YABOs.  Cut it to 1 again, another offensive barrage from the Cubs.  Even Rondon didn't seem rattled after the HR in the 9th.

This team is so much fun.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #143 on: October 12, 2015, 09:57:45 PM »
Yet again the Cubs bounce back in a HUGE way.  Untouchable Arrieta gives up 2 runs, Cubs respond with a barrage of YABOs.  Cut it to 1 again, another offensive barrage from the Cubs.  Even Rondon didn't seem rattled after the HR in the 9th.

This team is so much fun.

On the first night in months that Arrieta's command is off the offense picks him up.  Great to see.  Series is far from over - don't want to go back to St. Louis.  Hopefully Hammel can be sharp tomorrow and they can get to Lackey on short rest. 

Hopefully Russell is able to play - missed his defense after he went out.   

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #144 on: October 12, 2015, 10:00:20 PM »
As long as the Doyers don't win it, I'll be happy.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #145 on: October 13, 2015, 09:21:20 AM »
That was a lot of home runs.
The wife and I were in right field last night. You sit in those bleachers your whole life just waiting for a night like that. Homer after homer after homer. So hoarse I can barely talk today, but so worth it. The wind blowing out to right was insane. So sick of "the Cardinal way" pompous bs -- one more!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #146 on: October 13, 2015, 07:03:06 PM »
I'm enjoying the Cubs.  They are young and having a lot of fun.  Hope they go all the way.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #147 on: October 13, 2015, 07:36:28 PM »
The wife and I were in right field last night. You sit in those bleachers your whole life just waiting for a night like that. Homer after homer after homer. So hoarse I can barely talk today, but so worth it. The wind blowing out to right was insane. So sick of "the Cardinal way" pompous bs -- one more!

RIGHT FIELD SUCKS!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #148 on: October 13, 2015, 07:39:40 PM »
W

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #149 on: October 13, 2015, 07:41:53 PM »
Brutal.

A