[Today at 03:17:33 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Playoffs  (Read 35111 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: MLB Playoffs
« Reply #400 on: November 04, 2015, 07:36:52 PM »
It'll be interesting.  I think getting one of those guys is something that would be great for the cubs.  The catch, though, is trading guys that are going to hurt.  Theo has seemed unwilling to do that, they had several opportunities to trade for Hamels, and wouldn't do it.  I wouldn't think Castro will get you someone like Sonny Gray, Jose Quintana, Chris Archer, or even Tyson Ross.  Are they going to be willing to part with Schwarber, Baez, Soler, Torres, Contreras or McKinney.  Other than Schwarber, I don't think any of these guys alone net them the pitcher they'd want. 

It took Jason Heyward to get Shelby Miller.

I agree that getting someone like Price would be fantastic.  However, some of Theo's comments just make me feel it is unlikely that he'd give out two huge deals two years in a row to pitchers at 30-31 years old.  I'm intrigued to see how it plays out because they have to add at least once #2/3 starter at a minimum.   

The value of Castro and Baez is a mystery.  Baez's upside is immense and he made progress this year in terms of discipline and making contact but he still has a ways to go in that area.  Castro's last two months restored some of his value but I'm not sure how much.  He's still so young and signed to a reasonable deal if you believe his first half was an aberration.  Personally, I think the adjustments he made to his stance made a huge difference and that he'll be good offensively moving forward. 

I don't see the Cubs trading Schwarber or Contreras at this point.  Contreras looks like the real deal behind the plate and I could see him as the everyday catcher in 2017 with Schwarber potentially catching a couple of days a week and playing LF the other days.  I can see them trading one or maybe two of Soler, Castro, Baez, Torres or McKinney, depending on the return and who they might sign in free agency.  Overall thought they are in a good spot in terms of talent on the team, talent in the minors, and some money to spend.   

I was surprised to see the Sox decline Ramirez's option - thought they'd retain him for one more year as a placeholder.  The rotation is obviously impressive but aside from Abreu and Eaton it seems they need some help on offense.  I don't follow them closely enough to know what is expected out of Garcia.  Would they trade a Quintana for a bat?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #401 on: November 04, 2015, 07:37:35 PM »
I honestly think they should trade Baez. Castro is fine at 2nd and he's still only going to be 26 next season.

I would have no problem with this scenario, depending on what the return for Baez would be. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #402 on: November 04, 2015, 08:03:34 PM »

I was surprised to see the Sox decline Ramirez's option - thought they'd retain him for one more year as a placeholder.  The rotation is obviously impressive but aside from Abreu and Eaton it seems they need some help on offense.  I don't follow them closely enough to know what is expected out of Garcia.  Would they trade a Quintana for a bat?

I was too.  It is a pretty reasonable price for a decent 2 way SS, and their top prospect is a SS who is at least a year away, so Alexei seemed like an ideal fit.  And even if the Sox were bad again next year, they could have traded him away midseason if he rebounded at all.

I think the Sox would trade Quintana, but the return would have to be immense.  Not Sale, immense, but very strong.  My guess is the Sox trade from minor league pitching depth unless they are floored on a deal for Quintana. 

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #403 on: November 04, 2015, 08:23:40 PM »
I was too.  It is a pretty reasonable price for a decent 2 way SS, and their top prospect is a SS who is at least a year away, so Alexei seemed like an ideal fit.  And even if the Sox were bad again next year, they could have traded him away midseason if he rebounded at all.

I think the Sox would trade Quintana, but the return would have to be immense.  Not Sale, immense, but very strong.  My guess is the Sox trade from minor league pitching depth unless they are floored on a deal for Quintana.
The Central looks loaded at the top next year with KC, Cleveland and (maybe) Minnesota.  Without wholesale changes there isn't a strong likelihood the Sox are going to compete next year.  Aren't you better off restocking for 3(ish) years from now when the other teams young talent hits contract negotiation?  It's what Detroit realized in July.

Is there really an opportunity for them to make a run next year?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #404 on: November 04, 2015, 08:27:43 PM »
The Central looks loaded at the top next year with KC, Cleveland and (maybe) Minnesota.  Without wholesale changes there isn't a strong likelihood the Sox are going to compete next year.  Aren't you better off restocking for 3(ish) years from now when the other teams young talent hits contract negotiation?  It's what Detroit realized in July.

They had their chance in Venturas first year. They really should have traded Alexi at the trade deadline in 2014 when his trade value was sky high and he was hitting the cover off the ball.

I don't know what it is with Reinsdorf owned teams but they refuse to do full rebuilds and if they do its usually two years to late.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #405 on: November 04, 2015, 08:30:16 PM »
He's loyal to a fault. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #406 on: November 04, 2015, 09:17:40 PM »

Well, in all likelihood no, they won't be competitive, but they have pitching so who knows.  The quick way for the Sox to restock the farm would be to trade Sale and Quintana, but where does that get you exactly.  The Royals have won without dominant pitching, but both Sale and Q are under control until I think 2020.  They have Rodon, Erik Johnson was IL pitcher of the year, last years number 8 pick Carson Fulmer, (along with some other highly regarded young arms, some advanced, some a bit yonger) so they have pitching.  Young controllable pitching. 

They have some decent hitting prospects (and a ton of speed), but they are at least another season away, probably more.  Their roster has some guys that are just entrenched.  They have good pieces in Abreu and Eaton.  Cabrera probably falls in there as well.  Third is a total question.  Now SS is too (this is where their top hitting prospect plays, but again, he probably isn't ready for next year), they have a couple good prospects at 2B, but they didn't standout in their rookie try.  LaRoche is bad and untradeable.  Flowers is well, terrible, but there aren't really other catchers to acquire.  The biggest question is Avi Garcia.  He is young, was a highly touted prospect, has 1 full season under his belt, but it left lots of room for growth (to be ever so polite) with his performance this last season.  Trayce Thompson is an interesting prospect that looked very good last season, he is an ace with the glove, good power, good speed, but hasn't made a ton of contact in the minors. 

So, there is my organizational report on the Sox, basically they can upgrade at 3B, but would basically have to do so through trade.  They are looking for a place holder at SS, Tyler Saladino probably.  They have questionable toolsy (one that is great defensively and the other that can hit and really run) young players at 2B, so probably won't go for an established player there.  They need an upgrade at C, but the pitchers like Flowers, and the only option on the market is Weiters.  They have LF and CF covered, and 2 internal options in RF, but both have questions.  They are completely stuck at DH and need a rebound year from LaRoche. 

Maybe they'd be better off, but it doesn't seem likely, and who knows, the Royals could lose a lot of talent this off season (Gordon, Zobrist, Cueto, Holland, Madsen).  Their starting pitching is suspect, so who knows.  The Twins have great young talent, but haven't pitched well the last 5 or 6 years.  The Indians are a mystery and seem to under-preform every year.  Who knows with the Tigers.  I wouldn't think a slow rebuild is in their future with an old owner and aging super stars. 

So the Sox will have a tough go of it, probably not do much in free agency but may look at adding some young hitters by trading some young pitchers. 

Sorry, that got a bit wordy. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 09:21:23 PM by buckchuckler »

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #407 on: November 04, 2015, 10:26:09 PM »

Sorry, that got a bit wordyimpressive.
WAY better than i bargained for!  Great insight.

From a Royals POV i think the fact that they didn't option Rios or Guthrie the day after the parade is a sign they want to get better next year.  I like Rios and i think he was stuck in a situation where he was a good outfielder being compared to great outfielders.  Gordon not going with the player option was also expected......hopefully the KC good will can get him to give us a discount but everyone thinks he'll Torri Hunter - get what he can then come back in 6 years and retire a Royal.  Not ideal for the Royals but both sides understand.

Madsen and Cueto are gone.  Holland and Davis are here for sure.  Zobrist is phenomenal!  I hope we can keep him.  I feel better about the outfield farm than the infield, but what do i know.  either way Zobrist was exactly what KC needs at the bat, the base and the clubhouse.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 10:33:13 PM by naginiF »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #408 on: November 04, 2015, 11:01:20 PM »
WAY better than i bargained for!  Great insight.

From a Royals POV i think the fact that they didn't option Rios or Guthrie the day after the parade is a sign they want to get better next year.  I like Rios and i think he was stuck in a situation where he was a good outfielder being compared to great outfielders.  Gordon not going with the player option was also expected......hopefully the KC good will can get him to give us a discount but everyone thinks he'll Torri Hunter - get what he can then come back in 6 years and retire a Royal.  Not ideal for the Royals but both sides understand.

Madsen and Cueto are gone.  Holland and Davis are here for sure.  Zobrist is phenomenal!  I hope we can keep him.  I feel better about the outfield farm than the infield, but what do i know.  either way Zobrist was exactly what KC needs at the bat, the base and the clubhouse.

You know who is also a bug Zobrist guy, Joe Maddon. He was playing everywhere for the 2008 rays. Was their cleanup hitter for most of that year.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #409 on: November 05, 2015, 08:17:32 AM »
You know who is also a bug Zobrist guy, Joe Maddon. He was playing everywhere for the 2008 rays. Was their cleanup hitter for most of that year.

Joe Maddon LOVES switchables.

He's loyal to a fault.

+1

In recent years both the Bulls and Sox have been guilty of hanging on to "their guys" for a year or two too long.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 10:27:59 AM by MerrittsMustache »