collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: On this day in history, 12/1/1969  (Read 1633 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
On this day in history, 12/1/1969
« on: December 01, 2016, 03:53:55 PM »
The first draft lottery since WWII, 12/1/1969.   Both of my older brothers were subject to the draft lottery, both served, although in different capacities.  For the younger readers, it was based on your day and month of birth for every male born between 1944 and 1950:  The days of the year (including February 29) were represented by the numbers 1 through 366 written on slips of paper and then pulled out of a jar.

I was still a lad, but there were disruptions on the Marquette Campus, including an occupation of administrative offices, etc. 

Ludum habemus.

HouWarrior

• All American
Re: On this day in history, 12/1/1969
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 06:34:00 PM »
My older brother got lucky with a high number. I had to register also, but we were winding down in Vietnam and I had little draft risk.

Sometimes I wonder.

The draft  or risk  of being drafted vested us with a personal stake in prosecuting a war. Vietnam was a protest of the young who refused to be drafted/forced to fight a war they did not support.

I realize I walk to the edge of politics here...but I like what a friend suggested once....anytime we have a war lasting more than 6 months it should automatically trigger : 1) a general registration and draft (vesting the citizenry lives);; and 2) tax increases to pay fully the cost. His theory was.... If the war is needed we will approve and offer up our kids and $..... but that a mere volunteer (no draft) army makes it too easy to sell us on warmaking...especially if we dont raise taxes.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 07:15:18 PM »
My older brother got lucky with a high number. I had to register also, but we were winding down in Vietnam and I had little draft risk.

Sometimes I wonder.

The draft  or risk  of being drafted vested us with a personal stake in prosecuting a war. Vietnam was a protest of the young who refused to be drafted/forced to fight a war they did not support.

I realize I walk to the edge of politics here...but I like what a friend suggested once....anytime we have a war lasting more than 6 months it should automatically trigger : 1) a general registration and draft (vesting the citizenry lives);; and 2) tax increases to pay fully the cost. His theory was.... If the war is needed we will approve and offer up our kids and $..... but that a mere volunteer (no draft) army makes it too easy to sell us on warmaking...especially if we dont raise taxes.

In your scenario, I'd be willing to bet Congress would find a way to define what a "war" is differently, then. Too much money to be made in military conflict.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 08:22:16 PM »

Sometimes I wonder.

Smart dudes went ta Canada rather den get der asses blown off in some fooked up jungle. Became mensa inductees when amnesty was granted ta those north of da border, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 09:15:58 PM »

Smart dudes went ta Canada rather den get der asses blown off in some fooked up jungle. Became mensa inductees when amnesty was granted ta those north of da border, ai na?

Some people might call that move "unpatriotic"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 09:18:55 PM »

Wait, I want to know what happened to Brad Lindskog and his championship steer, Conoco.
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 09:27:50 PM »
This was a terrible time. One of the reasons why there were so many taking all sorts of drugs. It really sucked.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 10:09:45 PM »

Sometimes I wonder.

The problem is that the privileged class that doesn't want to go to war (or doesn't want their sons to go to war) can usually figure out a way to buy themselves out of it.

Trump's rich daddy kept his little orange son out of Vietnam thanks to 4 college deferments and one for alleged bad feet. And this isn't a shot just at Trump, just an example. Rich people of all political persuasions kept their kids out of harm's way while their poorer brothers-in-arms suffered.

I have serious doubts whether a draft system would be any more equitable now.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 10:21:46 PM »
Wars may not even have many people in direct conflict in 60 years.   At least for the American military.